The Home Theater Thread - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 02-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #61
@drian
Douche Chill.

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Home Theater Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Check out the back of the Denon 5308CI ($5000)

http://www.usa.denon.com/AVR5308CI_L...x_1200x587.jpg

Zoinks!
6 HDMI inputs! yum.

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile!" - Kurt Vonnegut

@drian is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #62
    devilandthelord
    WFT

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by @drian View Post
    look at all those inputs!
    Yeah dude. I just did an install at a guy's house a few weeks ago (I do home theater installs to make some extra cash for people in my town and surrounding areas) and the guy had just bought this. It was pretty awesome. We hooked up his existing Boston Acoustic speakers to it, which were pretty nice. He also got a BlueRay player and already has a 1080p TV and HD Cable Box. It was really nice when it was all done. I actually stayed and watched a movie with him when I was done.
    devilandthelord is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2008, 03:26 PM   #63
    @drian
    Douche Chill.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by devilandthelord View Post
    Yeah dude. I just did an install at a guy's house a few weeks ago (I do home theater installs to make some extra cash for people in my town and surrounding areas) and the guy had just bought this. It was pretty awesome. We hooked up his existing Boston Acoustic speakers to it, which were pretty nice. He also got a BlueRay player and already has a 1080p TV and HD Cable Box. It was really nice when it was all done. I actually stayed and watched a movie with him when I was done.
    Handjob?

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile!" - Kurt Vonnegut

Old 02-14-2008, 03:39 PM   #64
    devilandthelord
    WFT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by @drian View Post
    Handjob?
    Better. Sloppy blowjob.
    Old 02-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #65
    davehead86
    Do it for LeRoi

Shows Seen: 59

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by handsareme View Post
    any recommendations for an apple laptop? i listen to a lot of live music, if that helps.
    There aren't many external sound cards to begin with, I have the Soundblaster Live! 24 bit external (Creative makes it). It has an optical output and an easy USB connection to the computer. Its a great lil packages that comes with a great equalizer and tons of extra options to fit the sound into your room. It was, again, only 80 dollars, def worth every penny.

Bar Tab - $530.50
    Alpine Valley: 03 till ???

--Concert Photos--
    davehead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-14-2008, 09:01 PM   #66
    handsareme

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by davehead86 View Post
    There aren't many external sound cards to begin with, I have the Soundblaster Live! 24 bit external (Creative makes it). It has an optical output and an easy USB connection to the computer. Its a great lil packages that comes with a great equalizer and tons of extra options to fit the sound into your room. It was, again, only 80 dollars, def worth every penny.
    I'm assuming with it being USb is that it'd be compatible with an Apple? I'll look it up tomorrow, but if you have any insight, please post.
    Old 02-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #67
    dreamingtree66

My Tour Central Stats

I've got this Home Theater in a box system, which sounds great in my 11' x 9' bedroom.

http://www.jvc.ca/en/consumer/produc...p?model=TH-C50

I have yet to get into flat screens or HD for my TV but I'm happy with what I have for now.

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...oductId=173029

About 70% of the cost was paid for with insurance money when I lost my existing TV and Home Theater system in a lightning strike.
    Old 02-14-2008, 10:47 PM   #68
    Fishbulb290
    Kool-Aid Man

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Those sony tubes have a really nice picture but they weigh a freaking ton.
    Old 02-14-2008, 11:06 PM   #69
    shrimpco2

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

For those with deep pockets...

http://blog.audiovideointeriors.com/208great/
    shrimpco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-27-2008, 03:01 PM   #70
    @drian
    Douche Chill.

My Tour Central Stats

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...l?CNTID=558249

Jesus Christ!

Old 02-27-2008, 04:03 PM   #71
    davehead86
    Do it for LeRoi

Shows Seen: 59

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by handsareme View Post
    I'm assuming with it being USb is that it'd be compatible with an Apple? I'll look it up tomorrow, but if you have any insight, please post.
    Yes it should be. I dont see anything on teh box to suggest otherwise.

Bar Tab - $530.50
    Alpine Valley: 03 till ???

--Concert Photos--
    davehead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2008, 10:07 AM   #72
    zwmccl00

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

OK, a few questions.

I am looking for a cheap ($500 max) solution for surround sound for TV set up. I hate clunky speakers, so would like small ones that pack a decent punch. This will be hooked up to a 42" HDTV and an Apple TV that I will buy when I move in.

Also, I've got a subwoofer that I don't use - it was used for my computer - its the Altec Lansing Subwoofer (from the 621 3 piece set). Could I use that subwoofer with a new TV audio set up? Its decent.
    zwmccl00 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #73
    dmbphan041
    ISO

My Tour Central Stats

My dad is looking to get audio from a computer stream into his bedroom which is on the same floor the house but about 100 ft away, what kind of speaker wire would he need?
    dmbphan041 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2008, 03:42 PM   #74
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbphan041 View Post
    My dad is looking to get audio from a computer stream into his bedroom which is on the same floor the house but about 100 ft away, what kind of speaker wire would he need?
    About 100 ft of it...

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2008, 06:43 PM   #75
    dmbphan041
    ISO

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post
    About 100 ft of it...
    are there different kinds or what?
    Old 03-22-2008, 08:47 PM   #76
    devilandthelord
    WFT

My Tour Central Stats

My girlfriend's dad is going to get this TV and BluRay player this week and wants me to help him with it.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702

Needless to say, movie night will now be at his house.
    He already has a bose surround sound too.

He is my new best friend. Not only am I banging his hot daughter, I will now be watching his sweet TV as often as possible.
    Old 03-26-2008, 07:40 AM   #77
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbphan041 View Post
    Go with 12 gauge wire if you need to run distances of 100ft.
    If you need to run in walls go with one of these:

500ft spool for $148.50 - http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
    250ft spool for $77 - http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

If it doesn't need to be in-wall, go with one of these

300ft spool for $74 - http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I'd be surprised if you could find better prices on speaker wire than Monoprice.
    Old 03-26-2008, 07:45 AM   #78
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My girlfriend's dad is going to get this TV and BluRay player this week and wants me to help him with it.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702

Needless to say, movie night will now be at his house.
    He already has a bose surround sound too.

He is my new best friend. Not only am I banging his hot daughter, I will now be watching his sweet TV as often as possible.
    That's a very nice TV, hopefully he'll be matching it up with the Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray player.

Unfortunately his sound system is shit and you should tell him, perhaps not that bluntly, that he has been fooled by marketing.

BOSE = Buy Other Sound Equipment

BOSE spend more money on marketing that all the other speaker companies combined each year...and it seems to work for them because most casual people think BOSE is high end stuff, when nothing could be further from the truth.

I'm going to copy from an e-mail I sent to everyone in my e-mail inbox. But first, send your girlfriend's Dad this link (http://intellexual.net/bose.html) and advise him to read it. If he's going with a 58" 1080p plasma and a Blu-ray player, it's definitely time for him to get a system capable of enjoying the higher fidelity audio found on Blu-ray Discs and that ain't going to happen with Bose.

Any speaker company that doesn't put out measurements of their speakers in an anechoic chanmber with a +/- dB to let you know the frequency response...is hiding something. In BOSE's case it's that their speaker are shite.

Quote:
    Hi Folks,

This might not be anywhere near one of the most important concerns in your life right now, but as it is one of my passions I'd like to share a few pointers with you.

With prices dropping on HDTV's more and more each year and analog broadcasts approaching the end of their lives (North American broadcasts will all be digital by February 2009), more and more of you will either have already picked up an HDTV or will be considering it sometime within the next few years.

In addition, you may be considering adding a surround sound system, to add an experience closer to the theatre. This is what I'd like to spend a moment mentioning today.

The one single biggest mistake you can make when purchasing a surround sound system for you home is to buy BOSE. In my opinion BOSE is an acronym; it stands for Buy Other Sound Equipment. You'll spend $1,300 on one of those flashy BOSE Acoustimass or "Lifestyle" systems and get sound that will be bettered by $50 Logitech Personal Computer speakers, no joke. BOSE likes to set up their little demonstration systems in your electronics stores (Best Buy, etc.) removed from all the other speakers, with those dainty little cubes set up to be just behind your ears. A few sounds will be demonstrated moving around your head. If you've never experienced 5.1 sound outside the theatre, this can be impressive. Don't be fooled! Every speaker system that's a surround sound system can do this. BOSE spend more in advertising during a single year than EVERY other speaker company combined. If you can't find frequency response information on a speaker system from the manufacturer, and BOSE has NEVER put out this information, it's crap.

Accepted human hearing limitations are from 20Hz (low) to 20,000 Hz (high). BOSE's $1,300 Acoustimass system has a frequency response from 48Hz to 200Hz, then from 280Hz to around 3,000Hz. That means you're missing about 50% of the human hearing spectrum in the programming you are listening to! For $350 you can get a 6.1 JBL speaker system from a place like Best Buy which will far outperform the BOSE system. STEER CLEAR is what I'm trying to say, don't be fooled by marketing.

If you'd like more in depth information on BOSE, like the awful untreated manilla hemp paper they make their cones out of and call it "Space Age material", please read the following article - http://intellexual.net/bose.html

Okay that's my rant. Thanks for reading if you got this far. In closing I'd like to make two other points:-

1) Scientology is evil; it ruins families. It is a cult, read up on it and be educated.

http://www.xenu.net
    http://www.whyaretheydead.net

2) The Verve are back together are will release their first new album in 11 years later this summer. Hooray!

I hope you are all well. If you ever have any questions about home audio, high definition, Blu-ray Disc technology or current models of HDTV's, please don't hesitate to drop me a line or two, I'm happy to offer advice and share my expertise on the matter.

Best Regards,
    ~burkey
    Old 03-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #79
    devilandthelord
    WFT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's a very nice TV, hopefully he'll be matching it up with the Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray player.

Unfortunately his sound system is shit and you should tell him, perhaps not that bluntly, that he has been fooled by marketing.

BOSE = Buy Other Sound Equipment

BOSE spend more money on marketing that all the other speaker companies combined each year...and it seems to work for them because most casual people think BOSE is high end stuff, when nothing could be further from the truth.

I'm going to copy from an e-mail I sent to everyone in my e-mail inbox. But first, send your girlfriend's Dad this link (http://intellexual.net/bose.html) and advise him to read it. If he's going with a 58" 1080p plasma and a Blu-ray player, it's definitely time for him to get a system capable of enjoying the higher fidelity audio found on Blu-ray Discs and that ain't going to happen with Bose.

Any speaker company that doesn't put out measurements of their speakers in an anechoic chanmber with a +/- dB to let you know the frequency response...is hiding something. In BOSE's case it's that their speaker are shite.
    Yeah I'm going to make sure he gets that BluRay to go with it, most definitely.
    And as far as the Bose goes, he's had it for years. He actually wants to replace it with a new BOSE, but I'll try to sway him in another direction. However, he's a very hard-headed, always thinks he's right type of guy and has his mind set on Bose. But I'll at least suggest some things. Like you said, and I've always agreed as well, you can save a lot of money and get a better system than Bose if you go with some other brands.
    Old 03-26-2008, 09:58 AM   #80
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

That's good that he's looking to upgrade.
    I think he'll get a lot of good information out of that article.

I would strongly advise he go to a high-end audio/video store instead of a place like Circuit City or Best Buy and ask why they don't carry BOSE.

PROMUSICA
    2236 N. CLARK
    CHICAGO, IL

That's a Paradigm dealer in Chicago. I'm sure they'll be able to provide a few demo's. Then compare to the BOSE sound....it'll be night and day.

Or if he wants great sound avoiding the middle man, check out www.axiomaudio.com

If he looks around the internet at the various audiophile and home theater forums, he'll know you're not fucking about.

If he has a budget in mind, I'd be happy to recommend a 5.1 system and a new receiver that will fit it. It'd be my pleasure.

(and I work within Panasonic, so he'll be happy to know that I'm sure)
    Old 03-26-2008, 10:06 AM   #81
    dmbphan041
    ISO

My Tour Central Stats

what's "the" TV right now? or should I wait? isn't there someone releasing a whole new line in April?
    Old 03-26-2008, 11:05 AM   #82
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

The new -800 series plasma's from Panasonic are coming out at the end of April, with 30,000:1 native contrast (1,000,000:1 dynamic, but dynamic ratings are meaningless), THX certification, Game Mode, SD slots, four HDMI connections, PC Input, Viera Link and 24Hz native reproduction at 48Hz using 2:2 pulldown, eliminating the judder found on 60Hz displays.

The available sizes are 42", 46" and 50".

The -850 series as well feature pro settings menu [like white level, etc.] digital cinema colour-remastering and are IPTV's for internet direct connections to pictures, video streams, etc.

The available sizes are 46", 50" and in fall 2008 a 58" and 65" will also be available.

These are all 1920x1080 panels, for full 1080p reproduction.

"The TV" right now will be either one of these Panasonics I've mentioned, or the gorgeous KURO line from Pioneer. The only thing negative about the Pioneer (I mean, absolutely the only thing, they're just freaking gorgeous) is the price tag, which has always been high on Pioneer.

There is no other display that comes close to these for overall performance.

Some good reading:

The best LCD (Samsung LED) vs. the best Plasma (60" KURO Pioneer)
    http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/fea...-round-ii.html
    The Pioneer KURO handily beat the top rated LCD. No contest.

The 2008 HDTV Technology Face Off.
    (Featues 2 LCD's, one LCoS, two DLP's and two plasma's)
    http://www.hometheatermag.com/lcds/208hdface/

In all cases, from all reviewers, it was either the Pioneer or Panasonic plasma picked as the winner, in most cases the Pioneer. However they all agree that the two plasma's were in a class of their own.
    Old 03-26-2008, 03:12 PM   #83
    Autumn Harvest

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I'm thinking of buying this. Does it look like a shit no-name brand? I can't seem to find much on it elsewhere.
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...08474396672548
    Autumn Harvest is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #84
    devilandthelord
    WFT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Autumn Harvest View Post
    I'm thinking of buying this. Does it look like a shit no-name brand? I can't seem to find much on it elsewhere.
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...08474396672548
    Well given that I can't even access the site unless I enter a canadian zip code, I couldn't tell you.

But yeah, its shitty.
    Old 03-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #85
    dmbphan041
    ISO

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well given that I can't even access the site unless I enter a canadian zip code, I couldn't tell you.

But yeah, its shitty.
    lol @ "canadian zip code"
    Old 03-26-2008, 03:36 PM   #86
    devilandthelord
    WFT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The new -800 series plasma's from Panasonic are coming out at the end of April, with 30,000:1 native contrast (1,000,000:1 dynamic, but dynamic ratings are meaningless), THX certification, Game Mode, SD slots, four HDMI connections, PC Input, Viera Link and 24Hz native reproduction at 48Hz using 2:2 pulldown, eliminating the judder found on 60Hz displays.

The available sizes are 42", 46" and 50".

The -850 series as well feature pro settings menu [like white level, etc.] digital cinema colour-remastering and are IPTV's for internet direct connections to pictures, video streams, etc.

The available sizes are 46", 50" and in fall 2008 a 58" and 65" will also be available.

These are all 1920x1080 panels, for full 1080p reproduction.

"The TV" right now will be either one of these Panasonics I've mentioned, or the gorgeous KURO line from Pioneer. The only thing negative about the Pioneer (I mean, absolutely the only thing, they're just freaking gorgeous) is the price tag, which has always been high on Pioneer.

There is no other display that comes close to these for overall performance.

Some good reading:

The best LCD (Samsung LED) vs. the best Plasma (60" KURO Pioneer)
    http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/fea...-round-ii.html
    The Pioneer KURO handily beat the top rated LCD. No contest.

The 2008 HDTV Technology Face Off.
    (Featues 2 LCD's, one LCoS, two DLP's and two plasma's)
    http://www.hometheatermag.com/lcds/208hdface/

In all cases, from all reviewers, it was either the Pioneer or Panasonic plasma picked as the winner, in most cases the Pioneer. However they all agree that the two plasma's were in a class of their own.
    I read that article withe Samsung LCD versus the Pioneer Plasma a few weeks ago. Cool read. Samsung is definitely my pick for LCDs. I bought a 32 incher a year and a half ago, that is my main TV now, but I plan to move it to the bedroom when I get my 1080p beast in a year or two.
    It definitely seems like plasma is the way to go now, for the best overall viewing experience. And all my concerns about them have gone away from what I thought about them a couple years ago. The rumors were either false, or the problems have been fixed. So I have no worries about buying plasma now, and am almost positive my choice will be a 50" Panasonic, unless some other brand really blows me away by the time I'm ready to get my next TV.
    Old 03-26-2008, 04:22 PM   #87
    Jake

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

just got my Onkyo 7.1 hooked up - I bought it Saturday but they actually packaged the wrong receiver. Now the one I have has the HDMI plugs on it.

i'm probably going to upgrade to the HDMI (get em from newegg) - but the system sound so unreal now. I can't believe I waited this long to enjoy TV/movies the way they should be!
    Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-26-2008, 04:27 PM   #88
    devilandthelord
    WFT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    just got my Onkyo 7.1 hooked up - I bought it Saturday but they actually packaged the wrong receiver. Now the one I have has the HDMI plugs on it.

i'm probably going to upgrade to the HDMI (get em from newegg) - but the system sound so unreal now. I can't believe I waited this long to enjoy TV/movies the way they should be!
    HDMI switching is so great because it sounds as good or better than anything else you can use and its just a few cords going to your receiver rather than a whole mess of wires like it used to be.

Good call with the Onkyo btw, they are phenomenal.

Last edited by devilandthelord; 03-26-2008 at 04:28 PM. Reason: a
    Old 03-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #89
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jake View Post

Which model did you get? The Onkyo's from the TX-SR605 and up are all excellent and all feature decoding of all the newest dts and Dolby formats as well. I have been toying with the idea of picking up the 905 model for several months, but it's still $1,600 at the absolute cheapest and that's still about $200 more than I want to spend on it.

For HDMI's, you can get 6ft, HDMI 1.3a certified gold plated cables from Monoprice.com for $5/each, or $4.73/each when ordering quantities of 2-5.

I have ordered HDMI cables, speaker wire, banana plugs and subwoofer cables from Monoprice and I'm continually impressed with the quality. I replaced my $75 Monster "Bass2" subwoofer cable with a $12 one from Monoprice because I found it to be of better build.

HDMI 1.3 certified Black 6ft - http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
    Old 03-26-2008, 06:22 PM   #90
    Autumn Harvest

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Is Pioneer a good brand for a DVD player, preferably one which can play DivX?
    Autumn Harvest is offline   Reply With Quote