Buddy is Dave's Brent - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-05-2020, 12:29 PM   #1
FunkyNewGod

Shows Seen: 86

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Buddy is Dave's Brent

It's been ages since I posted here but I have been listening to a lot more recent DMB shows (2019 Summer Tour) via the DMB Channel on Sirius and have been blown away. The band is tighter and more deeply creative than I can remember in more recent years, Dave especially. Buddy will play a minor key line in a major key verse or vice versa or play something dissonant briefly in a random spot and Dave responds in kind by changing the cadence or tonality of the lyric or line he is singing. Buddy is just pushing Dave and rekindling the confidence, creativity and joy. He is bringing out the best in Dave like Brent brought out in Jerry during later tours in the Dead's career. Has anyone else drawn this parallel?

My List
FunkyNewGod is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #2
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Buddy is Dave's Brent

Only comparison I see is they were both the 3rd keyboard player in their bands.

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #3
    haiku.warrior
    the slow hand quickens

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

1000% agree. Buddy has brought on a new playfulness in the band and I love it.
    I showed my therapist a Rashawn solo and she said his screeching high notes are his little way of getting attention and may be compensating for other shortcomings, such as lack of taste.
    haiku.warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-05-2020, 12:43 PM   #4
    FunkyNewGod

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 View Post
    you aint wrong lol

My List
    Old 07-05-2020, 12:58 PM   #5
    Andy Meeks

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Interesting post. I do love what Buddy brings. I love what he brings to Everyday (never thought I’d enjoy that song so much again), and he’s got a great singing voice.

Can you give some examples of what you were talking about in your post at the top? I’d love to listen to some of these.
    Andy Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-05-2020, 01:00 PM   #6
    ISawTheBridge10

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 View Post
    My cat’s breath smells like cat food.
    ISawTheBridge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-05-2020, 01:17 PM   #7
    FunkyNewGod

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andy Meeks View Post
    Interesting post. I do love what Buddy brings. I love what he brings to Everyday (never thought I’d enjoy that song so much again), and he’s got a great singing voice.

Can you give some examples of what you were talking about in your post at the top? I’d love to listen to some of these.
    Yes I will try and compile a list of dates and tracks from last summers tour.

My List
    Old 07-05-2020, 01:41 PM   #8
    nhamilton07

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Brent brought out more creative and lucid guitar parts, solos and transitions from Jerry. No doubt Buddy has brought life into the band but i don't think its the same as Brent and Jerry. Dave's guitar parts are brilliant and so different but its not like Buddy forces Dave to play faster or more intricate solos.

I could be missing the point and I am certainly thankful Buddy is keeping a band alive that i was so late into getting into. Also I just have my Jerry/Brent knowledge from Dicks Picks and Spotify and Youtube so just my two dumb cents.
    nhamilton07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-05-2020, 05:26 PM   #9
    monizzle145

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nhamilton07 View Post
    Brent brought out more creative and lucid guitar parts, solos and transitions from Jerry. No doubt Buddy has brought life into the band but i don't think its the same as Brent and Jerry. Dave's guitar parts are brilliant and so different but its not like Buddy forces Dave to play faster or more intricate solos.

I could be missing the point and I am certainly thankful Buddy is keeping a band alive that i was so late into getting into. Also I just have my Jerry/Brent knowledge from Dicks Picks and Spotify and Youtube so just my two dumb cents.

Right Buddy brings up morale of the entire band especially dave. However unlike Brent he hasn't motivated Dave to take risks and improve soloing or even turning his dang guitar up and telling the sound guys to turn Tim all the way TF down.

Also if i was in Buddy's shoes i would tell dave to let me stay more on my keys and let my keys get turned up and also ditch the organ for 99% of the show. Obviously a newer member could say that to dave lol but it has to be said. Tim and Rashawn's loud noise over dave has ruined the bands blend since 2008 just before the Roi ATV accident.
    monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-05-2020, 06:25 PM   #10
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FunkyNewGod View Post
    It's been ages since I posted here but I have been listening to a lot more recent DMB shows (2019 Summer Tour) via the DMB Channel on Sirius and have been blown away. The band is tighter and more deeply creative than I can remember in more recent years, Dave especially. Buddy will play a minor key line in a major key verse or vice versa or play something dissonant briefly in a random spot and Dave responds in kind by changing the cadence or tonality of the lyric or line he is singing. Buddy is just pushing Dave and rekindling the confidence, creativity and joy. He is bringing out the best in Dave like Brent brought out in Jerry during later tours in the Dead's career. Has anyone else drawn this parallel?
    I see what you’re saying. But the Brent years are probably my favorite Dead era. This is definitely not my favorite dmb era. Not to take away from Buddy. He’s great. But the Dead still the Dead with Brent. This is Dave Matthews’s Band at this point. Just my $.02
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-05-2020, 06:55 PM   #11
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    I see what you’re saying. But the Brent years are probably my favorite Dead era. This is definitely not my favorite dmb era. Not to take away from Buddy. He’s great. But the Dead still the Dead with Brent. This is Dave Matthews’s Band at this point. Just my $.02

I agree with your take for the most part. I do prefer mid/late 70s dead more than the Brent years, but the sound was still there for sure, and I still very much enjoy listening to the 80s Dead...love Brent's vocals too, more so than some of those that came before him.

I also think a lot of the change in the DMB sound has less to do with Buddy's presence, and more to do with the the lack of a fiddle....but this is the direction they have gone so hard not to lump Buddy in with that whole conundrum.

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-05-2020, 08:11 PM   #12
    SeekUpTheCubs
    DMBallwasher

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Been listening to a lot of 2012-16 lately.

Boyd is barely present on most songs. When he’s present, he’s playing rehearsed solos much of the time. I love them. I desperately want the violin back in DMB and think they should in 2021

I agree Buddy brings an enthusiasm Dave seems to really grab onto. I’ve seen fewer shows lately but they’ve all seemed like the guys are having a lot of fun. Dave more so than before. I think Buddy brings a trust Boyd didn’t in the later years

Dave can relax a little more without multiple horrible screeches a night

I think Buddy is too quiet and rarely excites me all that much. Love him on Seek Up though. And honestly he’s a welcome addition ESPECIALLY if they bring back the violin. But for me he’s not a 1:1 replacement
    Old 07-06-2020, 12:14 AM   #13
    nhamilton07

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Off stage situations played a big role in Brent and Jerry's relationship or chemistry. Jerry said himself that Brent was a dark guy. I can only imagine stepping on stage, as two people seeing each other in rough times, wanting to take some energy out in a good way musically. While Dave and Buddy walk off the stage and don't see each other till the next city where they half ass a dressing room sound check. So i can't get fully on board with OP's original statement but it is actually is a great conversation. If there was no Buddy, where would the band be right now? Wasnt it just Rashawn who brought him to the band one day and suggested he sit in? Would love to know that real story

Anyway, "This is all a dream we dreamed" is a solid book that dives into the Dead relationships. I cant wait until the day we get inside stories about DMB.
    nhamilton07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-06-2020, 07:55 AM   #14
    capedbadger

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

100% Spot on.
    Old 07-06-2020, 08:06 AM   #15
    BigWhiskey1855
    Shake Me Like a Monkey!

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I love what he does with Louisiana Bayou. You can tell Carter gets a real kick out of some of the stuff Buddy does when watching the 2019 drive-in shows. It seems like 2020 was going to have him incorporated a little more with the cover of "tell me something good." It will be interesting to see how they use him more when they get back on the road.

Nashville '19, Deer Creek '21, Denver '21, Huntsville '22, Jacksonville '22, Deer Creek '22, Denver '22, Southaven '23, Nashville '23, Deer Creek '23
    BigWhiskey1855 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2020, 01:40 PM   #16
    #34Stickyfinger

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FunkyNewGod View Post
    Great discussion, but only those with refined listening palettes will be able to opine.

I agree. I mean say what you will with the loss of the violin sound, I miss it too . But Buddy is making this band alive again. It's not his fault the arrangements are tighter and more predictable night after night, but he's really bringing some subtle changes to every song that haven't been there in a long time. I completely get what your saying that Buddy's underlying playing and on point harmonies are really allowing Dave to do some cool things that he hasn't been able to.

Dave seems to absolutely love him. I never really seen him give another band member as much free reign as he gives Buddy. I mean letting Buddy take it away on Everyday or Superstition almost steals the show... And while Dave may let a guest do that, he certainly didn't allow Boyd or Butch to take things quite that far on their own before reigning them back in. Or perhaps Buddy is just more confidant and willing to do it. But the band is egging him on...

He's definitely a breath of positive fresh air. Watching these drive in shows week after week and having gone to 6 shows that Buddy has played in, the band just has a lightness to them. Fun has returned. Energy has returned. There is rarely a lull in the set these days in terms of energy.

When you watch some of the older shows from 2003, 2006, 2007, there's just a bit more seriousness to the band.

With the 30th anniversary of the band next year, they'll easily surpass the time Grateful Dead played if they keep going. Bands have so much more longevity these days for lots of different reasons. But I hope we're just getting started with Buddy. Bringing out Joyride, Sweet up and Down, Sugar Will etc... Makes me excited that those songs may be in process of recording along with a handful of new ones...
    #34Stickyfinger is offline   Reply With Quote