New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 31 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-27-2021, 10:37 AM   #901
Vorony

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

If there was ever a year to release the vault, it was 2020. But as per usual, they dropped the ball. It was status quo in terms of overall releases (Live Trax, etc.). I admit the Drive-In series was cool when they were doing shows prior to 2018. But other than that and a bunch of random Dave solo streams that didn’t really move the excitement needle, that was it. In a year with no touring. So many other bands put out great material in 2020, while DMB did DMB things.

I’ve said it before - I’ve lowered my expectations completely for this band in the last 5 years or so. Really helps to maintain a feeling of indifference when something is actually released.
Vorony is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-27-2021, 10:49 AM   #902
    vkratliff

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vorony View Post
    If there was ever a year to release the vault, it was 2020. But as per usual, they dropped the ball. It was status quo in terms of overall releases (Live Trax, etc.). I admit the Drive-In series was cool when they were doing shows prior to 2018. But other than that and a bunch of random Dave solo streams that didn’t really move the excitement needle, that was it. In a year with no touring. So many other bands put out great material in 2020, while DMB did DMB things.

I’ve said it before - I’ve lowered my expectations completely for this band in the last 5 years or so. Really helps to maintain a feeling of indifference when something is actually released.
    I'm a little mixed on this. I revisited DMB for the first time in several years last year, and it's largely because of the Drive-In and SirusXM Friday shows. I haven't been able to see the band live for a while because they haven't come close to Kansas City (and honestly, this version of the band isn't worth traveling or paying a lot of money to see), but I listened to a lot of their older shows last year because I was stuck at home, writing and working. And I really loved all of that.

The biggest mystery to me was what Dave did with "Singing from the Windows." He wrote this beautiful song that truly spoke to the moment in a meaningful way, played it live a few times, and then just sat on it the rest of the year. Maybe he'll release it on a forthcoming album after the pandemic is over, maybe not. But the moment when it could have had the biggest impact and made the most difference in people's lives is over.

So I guess you're right. It's best to just tamp down expectations and hopes, and just be pleasantly surprised when something occasionally comes along that reminds you of why you loved the band at one point.
    vkratliff is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2021, 12:47 PM   #903
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

You know...wouldn't it be something if DMB released a very good album in 2021 that somehow managed to nab a consensus of shared enjoyment around here, but wasn't able to tour to play it live at all in 2021.
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2021, 12:58 PM   #904
    groogrux27

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by btpeters View Post
    You know...wouldn't it be something if DMB released a very good album in 2021 that somehow managed to nab a consensus of shared enjoyment around here, but wasn't able to tour to play it live at all in 2021.

and then in 2022 not play any of the songs when they finally do tour again?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
    groogrux27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2021, 12:59 PM   #905
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by btpeters View Post

That would be amazing to see. Historic in this band's history even.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2021, 01:01 PM   #906
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vkratliff View Post
    I'm a little mixed on this. I revisited DMB for the first time in several years last year, and it's largely because of the Drive-In and SirusXM Friday shows. I haven't been able to see the band live for a while because they haven't come close to Kansas City (and honestly, this version of the band isn't worth traveling or paying a lot of money to see), but I listened to a lot of their older shows last year because I was stuck at home, writing and working. And I really loved all of that.

The biggest mystery to me was what Dave did with "Singing from the Windows." He wrote this beautiful song that truly spoke to the moment in a meaningful way, played it live a few times, and then just sat on it the rest of the year. Maybe he'll release it on a forthcoming album after the pandemic is over, maybe not. But the moment when it could have had the biggest impact and made the most difference in people's lives is over.

So I guess you're right. It's best to just tamp down expectations and hopes, and just be pleasantly surprised when something occasionally comes along that reminds you of why you loved the band at one point.

I completely agree with your thoughts on Singing From The Windows. I’ve been pretty vocal about it. Makes no sense to me why he would just sit on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2021, 01:25 PM   #907
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I also think in some ways Singing From the Windows works better as a one off release than on a full DMB album, could have been like Mother of Africa with a bit more promotion behind it
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2021, 01:45 PM   #908
    scottpr

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenticus View Post
    THAT will be interesting to see if it comes up true.....that it’s all new songs. I mean if will be I guess if all songs are from the October session.

So really all we concretely know is:
    -Dave was in Charlottesville writing and demoing songs in late summer/early fall
    -Dave got encouraged to bring in Carter and he brought him in
    -Dave and carter worked on tunes together then - felt good enough to dial up full band
    -Dave and carter clearly sent demos to all the other band members that they wrote to and sent around digitally given quarantine, so imagine there was some back and forth there
    -whole band gets together in Charlottesville in October 2020 and works on the tunes more / manages to record all of them
    -once that session ends, everyone kind of goes home, and now we are where we are.....

So I mean we’ll see.....we know this all happened organically vs on any kind of timeline dictated by anyone so hope is that the band just liked the tunes and how they came out and in 2021 they decide to release them, however that release looks like. So here’s to hoping!

No, not concretely on these. Just a couple of these are partially correct.
    scottpr is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2021, 01:48 PM   #909
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottpr View Post
    I know you probably can’t elaborate, but gotta ask anyway. Anything else you can add? Always appreciate your insight!

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2021, 01:57 PM   #910
    scottpr

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 View Post
    I know you probably can’t elaborate, but gotta ask anyway. Anything else you can add? Always appreciate your insight!
    I really can't. But some of those details (timetable and order of things, for example) are off there.
    Old 01-27-2021, 05:38 PM   #911
    resumesomething

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Van Morrison has been releasing a new song every few months and donating the proceeds to a musicians charity or something. DMB could have done something like that. They did raise lots of money with the Drive In Series though.
    resumesomething is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2021, 06:41 PM   #912
    theflower

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I really can't. But some of those details (timetable and order of things, for example) are off there.
    yes, in truth, Dave and Rob Evans played all the instruments and recorded every song in one take. Crater was brought in for the acoustic set with Dave only.
    theflower is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2021, 06:43 PM   #913
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I also think in some ways Singing From the Windows works better as a one off release than on a full DMB album, could have been like Mother of Africa with a bit more promotion behind it
    I agree. It's a pretty song and should've been a digital single release in 2020. No need to sit on it for an eventual album.
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2021, 06:51 PM   #914
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Dave pretty much said what went down in that sirius(?) interview. Played some songs for Rob Evans in Charlottesville, they liked what they had and then brought in Carter. Then they brought in Fonz, and the other guys in hazmat suits. Recorded "a couple more songs than can count on two hands", really likes one song about eating shrooms in the woods. He's excited to show us the new music. What else are we missing? I guess the specifics/timetables are somewhat of a mystery, but I don't think that stuff should matter much.

Between Dave being wide open about it in the past several appearances he's made online, plus Stefan openly dropping tweets about it, I think we have a decent idea what's gone down.
    Old 01-27-2021, 07:08 PM   #915
    prdstmnky36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    Dave pretty much said what went down in that sirius(?) interview. Played some songs for Rob Evans in Charlottesville, they liked what they had and then brought in Carter. Then they brought in Fonz, and the other guys in hazmat suits. Recorded "a couple more songs than can count on two hands", really likes one song about eating shrooms in the woods. He's excited to show us the new music. What else are we missing? I guess the specifics/timetables are somewhat of a mystery, but I don't think that stuff should matter much.

Between Dave being wide open about it in the past several appearances he's made online, plus Stefan openly dropping tweets about it, I think we have a decent idea what's gone down.

Ha, I trust what Scott says as much as (maybe more) than what Dave says.

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    Old 01-27-2021, 07:18 PM   #916
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Ha, I trust what Scott says as much as (maybe more) than what Dave says.
    Sorry, I'm not saying I don't trust what he says. He's given me no reason to question his validity. I'm just saying we already know all the basics and It's being talked about openly by the founding members, so there really isn't much more we really need to know as a fan base at this moment. Hope it didn't come off the wrong way.
    Old 01-27-2021, 07:21 PM   #917
    prdstmnky36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Sorry, I'm not saying I don't trust what he says. He's given me no reason to question his validity. I'm just saying we already know all the basics and It's being talked about openly by the founding members, so there really isn't much more we really need to know as a fan base at this moment. Hope I didn't come off the wrong way.

Not at all, just meant that he is a reliable source of info...thats all.

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    Old 01-27-2021, 08:09 PM   #918
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Not at all, just meant that he is a reliable source of info...thats all.
    that's good to know. Looking through some of his recent posts, seems like he knows what he's talking about.
    Old 01-28-2021, 04:34 AM   #919
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    that's good to know. Looking through some of his recent posts, seems like he knows what he's talking about.
    I believe he is related to Tim. I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that is his source.
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2021, 05:40 AM   #920
    scottpr

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Well for one, the recording parts were done before October, and the whole band didn't get together, which was what the post had said. More like August/early September. for some Not all the songs were ones already wrote and then brought in Carter, nor demo'd in the time that was said. And so on. That's just a couple examples of what was 'off' with the comment I was referring to. Minor details, but also weren't as 'concrete' as was stated. That was all I really meant.

Last edited by scottpr; 01-28-2021 at 05:44 AM.
    Old 01-28-2021, 06:38 AM   #921
    KClaw

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well for one, the recording parts were done before October, and the whole band didn't get together, which was what the post had said. More like August/early September. for some Not all the songs were ones already wrote and then brought in Carter, nor demo'd in the time that was said. And so on. That's just a couple examples of what was 'off' with the comment I was referring to. Minor details, but also weren't as 'concrete' as was stated. That was all I really meant.
    Thanks for the deets. Now spill everything you know! Ha ha
    KClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2021, 06:43 AM   #922
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Scott, do you anticipate the fan base hearing these recordings in the calendar year of 2021?
    Old 01-28-2021, 06:57 AM   #923
    SoRight2step

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

With buddy now being a larger factor i think and hope (might be an unpopular opinion) but that we will get an album sounding more like Everyday. Given the current lineup - I feel this is the best possible sound with no Boyd.

Obviously we all want something like BTCS or Crash but those days are long gone and the band has been evolving. (Just like U2 will never release another Joshua Tree and Coldplay is done making good alternative music like Rush of Blood to the Head).

Hoping for tunes like Fool to Think and Sleep to Dream Her with the keys like butch did... but better with Buddy and Tim. I think the acoustic focused sound died on AFTW. Dave's guitar is too low now and we gotta take what we can get. - except that new butterfly ocean song had a dope acoustic breakdown so who knows.... Hope we get more Jeff too.
    SoRight2step is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2021, 07:00 AM   #924
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

^ I do think Buddy will feature much more prominently in this album. He came on right at the of CT and wasn't used much. I hope he features a lot and they use his vocal talent as well. Could be a very different, but very good DMB album if they use him.
    Old 01-28-2021, 07:02 AM   #925
    scottpr

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KClaw View Post
    Thanks for the deets. Now spill everything you know! Ha ha

HAHA! Yeah, I've learned my lesson before when doing that. I really don't know a ton anyway.

and @dontdrink36, yes. But not because of any certain details I've heard. I'm not even convinced there was a timetable in the first place. I feel like it was more of "hey, the music biz and touring is on hold, let's record these songs'. As opposed to giving themselves a deadline of lets get an album out by next summer. I will say there was one idea about that which sounded pretty cool to me if it happened!
    Old 01-28-2021, 07:17 AM   #926
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    HAHA! Yeah, I've learned my lesson before when doing that. I really don't know a ton anyway.

and @dontdrink36, yes. But not because of any certain details I've heard. I'm not even convinced there was a timetable in the first place. I feel like it was more of "hey, the music biz and touring is on hold, let's record these songs'. As opposed to giving themselves a deadline of lets get an album out by next summer. I will say there was one idea about that which sounded pretty cool to me if it happened!
    Appreciate it, I know you can't spill the beans on the bold, but could you say if it refers to how the material may be released or was it tied to shows in some way?
    Old 01-28-2021, 07:26 AM   #927
    SoRight2step

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Scott just give us the album already.. we all know ya have it
    SoRight2step is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2021, 06:33 PM   #928
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Gotcha, thanks for the intel

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    ^ I do think Buddy will feature much more prominently in this album. He came on right at the of CT and wasn't used much. I hope he features a lot and they use his vocal talent as well. Could be a very different, but very good DMB album if they use him.
    I too hope they utilized Buddy in the studio. Some nice keys work on the new album would be fantastic. As would some more Jeff features.
    Old 01-28-2021, 07:30 PM   #929
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Gotcha, thanks for the intel

I too hope they utilized Buddy in the studio. Some nice keys work on the new album would be fantastic. As would some more Jeff features.
    Jeff needs to featured a lot more all around. He is a world class musician who plays a foundational instrument in the band. He needs to be given the most solos in the band.
    Old 01-28-2021, 07:49 PM   #930
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    Jeff needs to featured a lot more all around. He is a world class musician who plays a foundational instrument in the band. He needs to be given the most solos in the band.
    Winter into Spring for whatever reason is Lillywhite Sessions rotation time for me, and I was listening to it and just thinking about how much I miss the Sax being a focal point of melody in DMB songs. I do enjoy horn-section songs like (studio) SMLAM or Belly Belly Nice, but what is really missing are the songs where the saxophone has something to say in harmony with the other instruments. Solos and melodic parts alike.
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote