Rashawn on Social media - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-11-2024, 07:37 PM   #1
Halloween1031

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Rashawn on Social media

Ok I think we all have seen the nonstop barrage of negative posts on behalf of Rashawn throughout the years (today being no exception).
Is there something I’m missing? Is it that horrifyingly bad being a horn player for DMB? The level of misery that exudes from this dude is unbelievable.. not only during shows, but check his damn social media! I just don’t get it… my only theory is that his total lack of anything close to happy is secondary to his life outside of DMB?? Everyone else seems to think Dave is a damn good boss!
Halloween1031 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-11-2024, 07:54 PM   #2
    crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Rashawn on Social media

He’s obsessed with getting approval from his pretentious horn professors and classmates who look down on him for being in the band. He also was like 300 pounds and I feel probably has a ton of insecurities stemming from that. He also is objectively the worst player in the band on a nightly basis with his screeching break the sound barrier trumpet.

He’s too good for the band in his opinion but it pays him well and is a job that gives him exposure, something he likely wouldn’t have without it. He knows that and can’t stand that he has to play with this band when he thinks he’s the second coming of Miles Davis. I don’t like what he contributes to the band apart from when he does more tasteful muted trumpet, but his social media presence really makes him seem insufferable to spend any time with.
    Old 01-11-2024, 08:04 PM   #3
    TwoStep51901
    TDC soright05

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

What did he post today
    TwoStep51901 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2024, 09:11 PM   #4
    Miller9

Shows Seen: 101

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crounsa810 View Post
    He’s obsessed with getting approval from his pretentious horn professors and classmates who look down on him for being in the band. He also was like 300 pounds and I feel probably has a ton of insecurities stemming from that. He also is objectively the worst player in the band on a nightly basis with his screeching break the sound barrier trumpet.

He’s too good for the band in his opinion but it pays him well and is a job that gives him exposure, something he likely wouldn’t have without it. He knows that and can’t stand that he has to play with this band when he thinks he’s the second coming of Miles Davis. I don’t like what he contributes to the band apart from when he does more tasteful muted trumpet, but his social media presence really makes him seem insufferable to spend any time with.
    I wish he could grow an ego and just leave the band haha…DMB would be so much better off without him. With Buddy I feel like they are gravitating back towards a more “jazzy sound” than the past decade and the shrills of Tim’s guitar and squeals of Rashawn’s trumpet are quickly becoming a noticeable sore thumb to the sound of this band. Love Tim, but Rashawn could leave tomorrow and no one would notice. Just my opinion
    Old 01-11-2024, 09:33 PM   #5
    Tomacco

Shows Seen: 134

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

What did he post today? I don’t see anything since December.

Anyway, yeah, he’s got some issues. He’s blamed it on “introvert problems” in the past. But I think it’s more insecurity and a need for approval and praise.

Honestly, I met him in 2010 outside his hotel when he was in town and he stopped, chatted, took photos etc and was super nice. I think something has changed with him over the years, and maybe it’s related to social media. We can all see that Jeff has become increasingly more hostile and resentful towards his followers too.

I air on the side of cutting him some slack. You can be a super famous celebrity (not that he even is really) and still be flawed, tired, insecure, rude, misunderstood and human.

As far as his contributions to DMB, I could take or leave him at this point. He adds on muted trumpet and certain horn parts, but he seems connected to the overstructuring of DMB which is one of their biggest issues in recent years. And the squeals. But then again that’s just my ears. I think maybe I just don’t understand trumpet, because both times this supposed trumpet legend Jon Faddis guested with DMB, I found it horrible.
    Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2024, 10:22 PM   #6
    8nalive

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I think Rashawn is Rawesome!
    8nalive is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2024, 04:09 AM   #7
    Gunz

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

When he first came aboard in 05’ish I absolutely loved his additions to the live sound. When roi passed it all started going downhill in my opinion. That being said, I’d be just fine if they kept him around until the end. He’s earned that spot.
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2024, 05:42 AM   #8
    kmbean

Shows Seen: 96

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
    When he first came aboard in 05’ish I absolutely loved his additions to the live sound. When roi passed it all started going downhill in my opinion. That being said, I’d be just fine if they kept him around until the end. He’s earned that spot.
    Solid logic. His playing has regressed for 19 years but let’s keep him because he “earned” his spot lol. Dave is a terrible leader. Boyd should have been fired years and years ago as his playing ruined so many shows and they keep Rashawn. DuMB logic at work.

Last edited by kmbean; 01-12-2024 at 05:44 AM.
    kmbean is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2024, 06:03 AM   #9
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmbean View Post
    Solid logic. His playing has regressed for 19 years but let’s keep him because he “earned” his spot lol. Dave is a terrible leader. Boyd should have been fired years and years ago as his playing ruined so many shows and they keep Rashawn. DuMB logic at work.
    If you like it or not (I don’t) is subjective. You certainly can’t fault the guy for being lazy. It’s clear that he lives the trumpet. Regressed isn’t the correct verbiage.
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2024, 06:51 AM   #10
    madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Are you talking about this post?

Quote:
    It’s amazes me that people are soooooooo surprised that actors, comedians and musicians sometimes don’t get along with their cast mates/band mates and colleagues. It’s just like any other work situation. It’s a JOB like any other. With all the documented beef, disagreements and petty squabbles… why do people think it’s any different?🤔 Does everyone get along with ALL their coworkers? Doubtful. Some of us are extremely fortunate… others are not.#itsnotallfunandgames #peoplearepeople #personalities #human #lifeainteasy #kattwilliams #ClubShayShay #ShannonSharpe #ControversySells
    I think it's pretty clear he's not at all complaining about DMB or the people in the band, but rather commenting on other current events (check the hashtags). In fact, his comment that "some of us are extremely lucky" is a strong indication that he's pretty happy with his job & coworkers.
    madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2024, 06:58 AM   #11
    madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Are you talking about this post?

I think it's pretty clear he's not at all complaining about DMB or the people in the band, but rather commenting on other current events (check the hashtags). In fact, his comment that "some of us are extremely lucky" is a strong indication that he's pretty happy with his job & coworkers.
    And in case there's any confusion about that, he explicitly replied to someone making it extra clear:

Quote:
    did you even read what I said? What I’m referring to is IN the hashtags. If you think that’s “drama from me” or think I’m referring to anything personally, that’s a YOU problem. You don’t like what I put on MY page, you’re welcome to scroll right by and not pay it any mind- as it doesn’t affect you. For whatever reason, you chose differently this time. You don’t have to like me or the thoughts I share. That’s your right. However, sharing my thoughts on my page is my right. And for the record… NOTHING I wrote has anything to do with DMB. Appreciate the support of live music and thank you for your service as a figherfighter paramedic.
    madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2024, 08:59 AM   #12
    Simm0nS

Shows Seen: 41

My Tour Central Stats

Agree with most of the posts in this thread. He's unbearable on stage and off. Maybe he'll leave the band one day.

2024 - Blossom, Camden N1 & N2
    Simm0nS is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2024, 09:16 AM   #13
    Mountains#41

My Tour Central Stats

Wow, I really have no issues with RR on social media or otherwise. The specific comments that prompted the OP I think were not aimed at anything DMB related. The vitriol here is just eye opening. I didn't know he was so disliked.

I do think he's just a bit odd, but most artist/musicians are. His posts during Christmas week just seemed a bit lonely. But who knows, maybe I just perceived it as such, as I would be lonely traveling solo during the holidays.

And the life the they lead tends to be more secluded than we think. You're in a bus/traveling months out of the year with your small team. You go from hotel to bus, to backstage to bus to hotel, maybe a plane ride or two. You're not really out and about while you're getting ready for a concert. Maybe a couple hours to grab lunch somewhere or a rare off day somewhere. The rest of the band has families. He does not.

I think these guys show up backstage around 4 if not earlier. Their "work day" is from 4 to midnight sh.. Even though they're only on stage for 3 hours of that.

I truly don't think there's a hint of any beef with the band from him or vice versa.

The only post I laughed at was when he had a busted lip, incredibly painful for horn players though, and compared the length of the summer tour to an NFL season with injuries. This was after they took 5 weeks off and played like 2 shows lol.. he acted like the Gorge weekend was the end of a marathon.

Last edited by Mountains#41; 01-12-2024 at 09:20 AM.
    Mountains#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2024, 09:17 AM   #14
    Mountains#41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Simm0nS View Post
    Agree with most of the posts in this thread. He's unbearable on stage and off. Maybe he'll leave the band one day.
    Do you know him offstage?
    Old 01-12-2024, 09:21 AM   #15
    BlueWater13

Shows Seen: 65

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I think our fanbase reads into stuff way too much. His post clearly was not about himself or the band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old 01-12-2024, 09:24 AM   #16
    Mountains#41

My Tour Central Stats

As far as his playing goes, he's got good chops and bad chops. Let's be honest, so did Roi.

So did Boyd.

So does Dave. So does Tim etc..

They all have some awesome moments and then some rough ones.

I can't imagine being a big enough fan to spend time on these boards and also think a member of the band has been terrible/unlistenable for 19 years...
    Old 01-12-2024, 09:50 AM   #17
    dmb_1981

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mountains#41 View Post
    As far as his playing goes, he's got good chops and bad chops. Let's be honest, so did Roi.

So did Boyd.

So does Dave. So does Tim etc..

They all have some awesome moments and then some rough ones.

I can't imagine being a big enough fan to spend time on these boards and also think a member of the band has been terrible/unlistenable for 19 years...
    Agreed. But Rashawn has to go. No loving DMB fan for the most part would disagree.
    Old 01-12-2024, 10:04 AM   #18
    somuchtoplay

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I'd imagine the keyboard warriors wear him down at points. It's one thing to complain about a famous person in a band you like on an unofficial band message board, it's another to air out your grievances on that person's page, where you know they will see it--some people have no boundaries online. RR's sounds are sometimes piercing in nature, but I think he does more as an arranger and musical manager that we don't necessarily hear or see. I think he is a net-positive to the band, whether you like the trumpet or not, and everyone in the band seems to be getting along lately. Anyways, not going to speculate on his personal life, but I don't mind him hanging around.
    somuchtoplay is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2024, 10:19 AM   #19
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by somuchtoplay View Post
    I'd imagine the keyboard warriors wear him down at points. It's one thing to complain about a famous person in a band you like on an unofficial band message board, it's another to air out your grievances on that person's page, where you know they will see it--some people have no boundaries online. RR's sounds are sometimes piercing in nature, but I think he does more as an arranger and musical manager that we don't necessarily hear or see. I think he is a net-positive to the band, whether you like the trumpet or not, and everyone in the band seems to be getting along lately. Anyways, not going to speculate on his personal life, but I don't mind him hanging around.
    All due respect, this band did fine arranging their own songs long before Rashawn guested and never left.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2024, 10:20 AM   #20
    Steve2TheO

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crounsa810 View Post

Wow. You really managed to write a whole imaginary narrative here...it's almost impressive. Four separate conclusions, stated as facts, based on social media posts and commentary that don't get into the same zip code as your conclusions.

And to stand up some of these claims you'd need to have authority in/as: 1)the opinions of his horn professors and classmates 2)A psychologist 3)a musician 4)his thoughts on his band.

Last edited by Steve2TheO; 01-12-2024 at 10:24 AM.
    Steve2TheO is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2024, 10:30 AM   #21
    Mountains#41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    All due respect, this band did fine arranging their own songs long before Rashawn guested and never left.
    Ya, someone named LeRoi Moore was doing it previously. Dave has said as such that RR took over for him as musical director in that regard. He's the only one that knows everyone's parts in and out. I think if RR goes, this band falls apart.

Of course whether you like the trumpet or his playing is completely subjective. You don't have to listen though.
    Old 01-12-2024, 10:32 AM   #22
    Mountains#41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb_1981 View Post
    Agreed. But Rashawn has to go. No loving DMB fan for the most part would disagree.
    19 years.. Similar to the people who always though Boyd sucked. I don't get it. I'm as a big of fan of the band now as I've ever been RR his trumpet and 97% of his playing included.
    Old 01-12-2024, 10:35 AM   #23
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

My Tour Central Stats

I'd take three more Rashawns if it meant we could get rid of Buddy.
    Old 01-12-2024, 10:41 AM   #24
    Mountains#41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    What don't you like about Buddy? Other than the beginning of 2018 and finding his way out of the circus organ, I think he's been a great addition. Love his keys, vocals, overall energy.

I don't like the string fills he does, but I think that's prompted by Dave more than him. Someone needs to tell them to get away from that. I don't know one person whose like give me a synthy string solo on lie in our graves lol.
    Old 01-12-2024, 10:45 AM   #25
    Tomacco

Shows Seen: 134

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    Shots fired.
    I could not disagree more. In 2018 I was more hesitant, but Buddy has come such a long way and has been an MVP since 2021.
    Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2024, 10:47 AM   #26
    Simm0nS

Shows Seen: 41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Do you know him offstage?
    I meant more from what I've seen on his socials and how he used to comment to fans on Instagram etc, but I did have an interaction with him in person about 5 years ago and he was rude to me and a couple other fans that were there as well. Not saying he's a terrible person or anything, just there's a clear difference between him and others in the band and how they interact with fans etc.

2024 - Blossom, Camden N1 & N2
    Simm0nS is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2024, 10:54 AM   #27
    Mountains#41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Simm0nS View Post
    I meant more from what I've seen on his socials and how he used to comment to fans on Instagram etc, but I did have an interaction with him in person about 5 years ago and he was rude to me and a couple other fans that were there as well. Not saying he's a terrible person or anything, just there's a clear difference between him and others in the band and how they interact with fans etc.
    I mean that's a big pivot from being "unbearable". And while I wouldn't like anyone I wanted to meet being rude to me, they get approached all the time and they are just human. Maybe a bad day. Maybe didn't want to talk.

You're truly the first I've heard of anyone having a negative interaction with anyone from this band though.
    Old 01-12-2024, 11:17 AM   #28
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
    Shots fired.
    I could not disagree more. In 2018 I was more hesitant, but Buddy has come such a long way and has been an MVP since 2021.
    Absolutely.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2024, 11:47 AM   #29
    kmbean

Shows Seen: 96

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think if RR goes, this band falls apart.
    Thanks I needed a good laugh today.

If RR goes I guarantee they stop with the Brickhouse nonsense.
    kmbean is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2024, 11:56 AM   #30
    Mountains#41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Halloween1031 View Post
    Ok I think we all have seen the nonstop barrage of negative posts on behalf of Rashawn throughout the years (today being no exception).
    Is there something I’m missing? Is it that horrifyingly bad being a horn player for DMB? The level of misery that exudes from this dude is unbelievable.. not only during shows, but check his damn social media! I just don’t get it… my only theory is that his total lack of anything close to happy is secondary to his life outside of DMB?? Everyone else seems to think Dave is a damn good boss!
    He doesn't even post everyday... It's pretty seldom.