New Nintendo console in 2017 - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-08-2011, 01:43 AM   #61
DMBZeppelin
OOH-WEE

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Nintendo console in 2012

Video of 3rd party game lineup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-VqA_PupHs&hd=1

It's got comments from developers first and then highlights the games coming. Though as Brendan said it's not actual Wii U versions being shown.

This was the reveal trailer shown at E3. Shows lot of ways you could potentially use the new controller:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3qaPg_keg&hd=1

Tour 2023: Deer Creek [6/30] [7/01]
DMBZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #62
    thestand
    Best Ever

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

OK, so the console is super deep, nowhere near as tiny as I thought on first look. Which is good. Really good.

http://kotaku.com/5810084/this-is-th...+stained-hands
    Will in time both outpace and outlive you, Hail Satan!
    thestand is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #63
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Ubisoft and Nintendo had a joint conference that just wrapped up, announcing 5 titles, with live demos of Ghost Recon and a new title called "Killer Freaks From Outer Space". During the livestream of the event, the Kotaku rep said that Killer Freaks visually was rivaling Resistance during the multiplayer demo, although the gun effects weren't anywhere near finished yet. They also mentioned the game uses exactly the concept I had hypothesized the other day, where you scroll through attachments on the controller's screen, and then flick them to the TV to build your weapon. The multiplayer mode they showed off was sort of like one player playing an FPS on the TV with the classic controller, and the other player playing an RTS from the new controller. Cool concept.

They also announced an Assassin's Creed project, though wouldn't confirm if it was a new title or a port of Revelations/other past ones. Ubisoft talked up the hardware of the U for a good bit, mentioning how it has more than enough power where they can easily port their engines and art from the other consoles, meaning the Wii U is now more or less confirmed to be able to join the port list for titles, meaning there's no hardware reason for a title not launching on PS3/360/PC/Wii U, unless it's the developer/distributor not wanting to work with Nintendo, or Nintendo not wanting the game.

http://kotaku.com/5810153/ubisoft-wo...e-wii-u-titles
    Old 06-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #64
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

I'm still on the fence about whether or not I'll get a Wii U (leaning towards no), but can I just say... it feels awesome to be able to link to this and be able to say that it's a screen to a Nintendo exclusive. Or this, which is in-game.
    Old 06-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #65
    doesmusicbest

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Are they actually releasing new classic controllers, or are people without the Wii U controller just going to use WiiMotes?
    Old 06-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #66
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by doesmusicbest View Post
    Are they actually releasing new classic controllers, or are people without the Wii U controller just going to use WiiMotes?
    All Wii accessories are compatible, so when I said classic controllers, I mean the actual Wii accessories branded as "classic controllers". These things.

They're actually not too bad for FPSs, but I'm definitely hoping for a new upgrade. But I'd assume all non-Wiipad controller announcements are far down the line.
    Old 06-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #67
    doesmusicbest

My Tour Central Stats

Good. I know in the the videos I've seen whenever it's a multiplayer game they non-Wiipad people have had Wiimotes, but none of those games were FPSs, so it was kind of understandable.

I think what I'm most curious about is how far major developers are going to go to utilize the Wiipad for their big multi-platform games. Normally all that's different between versions of stuff like COD is button prompts, so porting is really simple. But if they want to specifically utilize the Wiipad they're going to have to add/change the game in pretty drastic ways, just for that one console. I don't know that developers are going to have enough incentive to go that extra mile when they could just do a straight port and not do anything special for Nintendo. Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.
    Old 06-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #68
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Well, it'll be a lot of little things, like the Kinect voice support on Mass Effect 3. It'll probably need Nintendo to throw around some money at first, something that I'm not sure they're willing to do. I still just get the feel that Nintendo doesn't see themselves as Sony/MS competitors, that they're just doing their own thing in the same format. So it's to be seen if they're willing to do things to directly influence developers of multiplatform devs, to give a reason to go to Nintendo over others.
    Old 06-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #69
    doesmusicbest

My Tour Central Stats

Here's what I don't understand. In the interviews I saw with the COO of Nintendo of America he kept emphasizing over and over that the reason Nintendo wasn't getting a lot of third party support was because it couldn't handle the visuals, and it didn't have sufficient online support. And now with the Wii U, he said, they can "check those boxes." But I've gotta imagine that the next generation of PS and Xbox are just on the horizon, so aren't they just going to be in the same position then that they are now? Pretty soon they're going to have a last-gen console. The timing is just so weird for me.
    Old 06-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #70
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fridge112887 View Post
    I want my Super Nintendo and Yoshi's Island back
    yoshis island was brilliant.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #71
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

Shows Seen: 179

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

I will probably end up getting it just for the first party stuff however if the controls work and if they end up getting true 3rd party support I will be impressed....How much more advance can next Xbox and PS3 get.....I bought the 360 first and it was a fine system.

Got a Wii and really enjoyed it for a brief time....after the start played Zelda, Mario Kart, Super Mario Galaxy, NSMB, and Epic Mickey (terrible controls).....so basically it just sits there now...

The only reason I got a PS3 was for Blu-Ray although Uncharted is awesome but the only exclusive I really play.

So my question is moving forward if everything gets ported and there is no new type of watching movies (which would piss me off)....what will motivate multiple next gen purchases. Especially since I think Nintendo has the best first party games. All I am missing out on personally is GOW (supposedly over) and Uncharted....

Of course this all gets thrown out if a Kingdom Hearts game is announced....lets be honest it is the reason I finally bought a PS2, PSP, and the only reason I own a 3DS....

Sorry that was rambling....hope it made sense.
    Old 06-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #72
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UCFish View Post
    How much more advance can next Xbox and PS3 get....
    The short answer? A lot. Like, a whole lot. An insane amount more. The processors in those units were cutting edge in 2005. Now, they're on the same level as $50 processors. Both of them have 512MB of RAM. Many developers have been vocal in saying that, at minimum, they'd like to see 8GB of RAM, which would be competitive with good gaming PCs right now, but still not better.

Then, you look at media for them. There's been a few reports out saying that Sony's new disc format is going to blow minds. The disc would still be Blu Ray in name, but is being developed similarly to the Holographic Versatile disc. In short: 6 terabytes on a disc. Basically, think of the biggest game ever made, and then make 100 of them. LA Noire fit onto a single 25GB Blu Ray disc. The new disc format from Sony could fit 200 copies, with room to spare. That space can be used primarily to never have to compact anything, but also for massive new tech as far as graphics and artwork goes. If a new system has a powerful CPU/GPU combo and 8GB of RAM, with this new disc, you could see new physics engines make games that came out in 2008 look like games that came out in 1988.

And that's just the hardware side. Xbox Live is great, but PSN has a long ways to go until it's a great service. And I can guarantee any major PSN update is going to be saved for a release with a new console.

That's just barely scratching the surface.
    Old 06-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #73
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

My Tour Central Stats

Thats what I wanted to know....

How many years minimum til you think they may appear though?

2013,2014.....or a small chance they could still crank something out next year....

Also that disc capacity sounds AMAZING!
    Old 06-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #74
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Microsoft is closer than Sony, I know that much. Microsoft started hiring for new console development last year. New consoles are always in development in one stage or another, but when they start hiring outside the company, you know it's really ramping up. Sony only announced hirings for their new console just a couple months ago, so they've just started the heating up process. My best guess would be that both are out in 2013, with Microsoft in the spring, and Sony in the holiday season. But to be honest, it wouldn't shock me if Microsoft announces a new console this winter, for release fall 2012. Remember, there was a report that the guts of a new console had already been sent to developers. The developer that was rumored to have it ended up denying it, but it would make sense for Microsoft to already be testing stuff out.

So yeah, my best guess:

Nintendo Wii U- May 2012
    Microsoft NGC: April 2013
    Sony PS4: November 2013

But it could be as far back as 2014, though if Nintendo sells hard out of the gate, it'd be suicide for Sony to be two years after the fact.
    Old 06-09-2011, 07:36 AM   #75
    Joruus
    The Binge

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Weren't Microsoft and Sony hoping to get at least 3 more years out of their motion control setups? Sony's Move has essentially failed, but Kinect seems to have some legs.

It would just seem counter-intuitive to spend all that money on R&D to throw it out 2 years later.
    Old 06-09-2011, 07:54 AM   #76
    water_into_wine

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thestand View Post
    The short answer? A lot. Like, a whole lot. An insane amount more. The processors in those units were cutting edge in 2005. Now, they're on the same level as $50 processors. Both of them have 512MB of RAM. Many developers have been vocal in saying that, at minimum, they'd like to see 8GB of RAM, which would be competitive with good gaming PCs right now, but still not better.

Then, you look at media for them. There's been a few reports out saying that Sony's new disc format is going to blow minds. The disc would still be Blu Ray in name, but is being developed similarly to the Holographic Versatile disc. In short: 6 terabytes on a disc. Basically, think of the biggest game ever made, and then make 100 of them. LA Noire fit onto a single 25GB Blu Ray disc. The new disc format from Sony could fit 200 copies, with room to spare. That space can be used primarily to never have to compact anything, but also for massive new tech as far as graphics and artwork goes. If a new system has a powerful CPU/GPU combo and 8GB of RAM, with this new disc, you could see new physics engines make games that came out in 2008 look like games that came out in 1988.

And that's just the hardware side. Xbox Live is great, but PSN has a long ways to go until it's a great service. And I can guarantee any major PSN update is going to be saved for a release with a new console.

That's just barely scratching the surface.
    I've been meaning to ask this: How far will graphics improve though, compared at least to the best looking games out there now?

Will we see drastic graphic improvement, or slight improvement but just massively bigger games?
    water_into_wine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #77
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joruus View Post
    Weren't Microsoft and Sony hoping to get at least 3 more years out of their motion control setups? Sony's Move has essentially failed, but Kinect seems to have some legs.

It would just seem counter-intuitive to spend all that money on R&D to throw it out 2 years later.
    Does it matter what system the Kinect and move are connected to? No chance they won't be compatible with the new systems.
    Old 06-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #78
    manderso
    Retired

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

They should have just called it "the new Zelda machine" because that's all anybody really cares about.

The beast inside me is caged by frail and fragile bars. -Johnny Cash

WhT campaigner. In memory of shiny tape and misappropriated funds.
    manderso is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #79
    Joruus
    The Binge

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Does it matter what system the Kinect and move are connected to? No chance they won't be compatible with the new systems.
    The idea that peripherals are backwards compatible is so foreign to me (even as an owner of the Wii). I've been so used to having to purchase new peripherals with each generation.
    Old 06-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #80
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by manderso View Post
    They should have just called it "the new Zelda machine" because that's all anybody really cares about.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #81
    dre2142
    Get it done

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UCFish View Post
    ....How much more advance can next Xbox and PS3 get.....
    I remember thinking that when playing Mario Bros in 1985.
    dre2142 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #82
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

I think Nintendo will do fine by coming out first, even if the graphics get overshadowed 2 years from now by Microsoft and Sony. I mean the vast majority of people buy Nintendo because of the first party titles and/or the "family fun" appeal of their brand. I mean seriously, did the Wii's graphics prevent it from being the top selling console in the world? No. So any improvements to graphics will only be a bonus for Nintendo.

If you're asking will it attract all the hardcore game players, then I'd say some of course, but in the end will it really matter for Nintendo? That's not their core business. So if they attract any of the hardcore gamers that skipped the Wii, then that will just be a bonus for them.

The big thing is going to be price. This new console looks pretty expensive, especially the controllers. One of the big attractions to the Wii was the price. So I'm sure Nintendo is thinking very carefully about what the cost will be of the Wii U. That could really be the make or break thing about this console. High price means they must target hardcore gamers and they will have a challenge doing that as their primary buyers. There will definitely be buyers for it in that market, but I think it will be hard to compete with loyal Microsoft and Sony buyers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by water_into_wine View Post
    I've been meaning to ask this: How far will graphics improve though, compared at least to the best looking games out there now?

Will we see drastic graphic improvement, or slight improvement but just massively bigger games?
    Basically look at the best looking PC game right now (not a console port) and that's probably what the next generation console games will look like, maybe a touch better if those consoles are still 2 years out. Look at the PC footage for Battlefield 3 coming out this fall. That game probably has the best looking graphics at the moment. New consoles usually measure up to the newest gaming PC's and as they age PC's continue to get better of course. So seeing what is currently on PC's is usually an indicator at least of what can be expected by the next generation consoles.

PC Battlefield 3 in-game footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UwOr...=youtu.be&hd=1

Last edited by Benny003; 06-09-2011 at 10:38 AM.
    Benny003 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #83
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post

Basically look at the best looking PC game right now (not a console port) and that's probably what the next generation console games will look like, maybe a touch better if those consoles are still 2 years out. Look at the PC footage for Battlefield 3 coming out this fall. That game probably has the best looking graphics at the moment. New consoles usually measure up to the newest gaming PC's and as they age PC's continue to get better of course. So seeing what is currently on PC's is usually an indicator at least of what can be expected by the next generation consoles.

PC Battlefield 3 in-game footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UwOr...=youtu.be&hd=1
    That's partially true, but I think it short-sells the next generation a lot. Basically, the new generation is about size. If the new PS3 has a top of the line CPU/GPU combo, 8 GB of RAM, and the new disc size, it'll be able to do things that no PC can. Because gaming consoles are set up to only do what needs to be done in a gaming console, it uses resources in a completely different way. So where 8GB of RAM doesn't sound like much when there's PC units out there with 16 GB or more, a PC's motherboard isn't set up to utilize it in the same way that a console's is.

So, to extend this out farther: if Sony's new disc can hold 6TB and the guts of the console can handle that, it's a game changer. Developers can begin making new engines that even current PCs can't handle, because there's very few PCs out there with a few TBs of free space lying around. Imagine devs being able to send a game out where just the artwork takes up the space of a standard HDD. That would put new consoles way out ahead of what PCs can do, which hasn't happened in a long time.

As someone mentioned, it's always hard to conceptualize how gaming could possibly get better. But it helps to visualize less and think in terms of numbers. An easy example: you know in baseball/football/basketball games where the crowd is a few different character models repeated over and over, doing the same gestures? In Sony's new hypothetical, they have the space and the power to make 50,000 different individually animated fans, 40,000 individually animated soda and beer glasses, 10,000 individually animated buckets of popcorn, billions of individually animated blades of grass, and so on. The technology to do that already exists. Hell, I can do it myself in Cinema4D on this shitty desktop. But with the new capacity of the new systems, they'll actually be able to utilize it.

And maybe you're thinking that that's not really that interesting. Well, expand the same concept to different games. Hypothetically, the new disc format/console power could have a version of GTAIV where every inch of the map, every floor of every building, can be entered into. The only thing holding that back would be animator work-time. Or in a FPS, where every single brick in a building is its own individually animated entity in the engine. The building destruction in Battlefield taken to a ridiculous new height.

I could go on, but it's a size thing. I may know more about the concepts behind it than some, but even for me, it's a brave new world that I know little about. But it's exciting.
    Old 06-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #84
    DoOrDoNotNoTry

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Just read that the Wii U will only support one touch screen controller.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #85
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoOrDoNotNoTry View Post

well i play by myself most of the time anyway....plus don't want to spend $$$$ on additional controllers...

Plus glad to hear dumbass friend codes are gone.
    Old 06-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #86
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

http://kotaku.com/5810573/

Finally, a Game Shows What the Wii U Can Really Do

Despite a ton of footage and endless words from Nintendo representatives, we've been given few clear examples of what the Wii U's new controller can actually do in terms of improving a game. Ubisoft just changed that.

This trailer for Ghost Recon Online focuses on the Wii U's touch pad and voice communications, and how the pair can help make a genre traditionally reserved for PCs, Xboxs and PlayStations suddenly look very tempting on a Nintendo console.

Imagine: it'll even better when you're not playing with a team comprised entirely of assholes.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #87
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoOrDoNotNoTry View Post

What? That is insanely dumb. No wonder they were only showing one controller at a time. What a waste.
    Old 06-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #88
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    What? That is insanely dumb. No wonder they were only showing one controller at a time. What a waste.
    That's not set in stone: http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1174821p1.html

What they need to do is give you the option to use multiple giant screen controllers, or buy a new wireless classic controller. I didn't like the one that hooked up to the wiimote.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #89
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's partially true, but I think it short-sells the next generation a lot.
    You really think they are going to have several TB sized games? Even if the discs can hold that, how would they possibly be able to read it fast enough to make it worthwhile? Not to mention developers would have to create the terabytes of content. Sounds time intensive.
    Old 06-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #90
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin View Post
    http://kotaku.com/5810573/

Finally, a Game Shows What the Wii U Can Really Do

Despite a ton of footage and endless words from Nintendo representatives, we've been given few clear examples of what the Wii U's new controller can actually do in terms of improving a game. Ubisoft just changed that.

This trailer for Ghost Recon Online focuses on the Wii U's touch pad and voice communications, and how the pair can help make a genre traditionally reserved for PCs, Xboxs and PlayStations suddenly look very tempting on a Nintendo console.

Imagine: it'll even better when you're not playing with a team comprised entirely of assholes.
    Yeah but can u get 4 people together at the same time....I play late at night and sometimes hammered (u should know we used to rock Madden)...

Still I am intrigued!