*Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling) - Page 11985 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-08-2021, 08:01 AM   #359521
BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: *Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling)

I’m not in favor of ditching the federal UI yet. There’s too many inefficiencies and uncertainties left in the market to suggest it would not be devastating to too many workers.

However, I would support reinstating the work-search requirement. Because ultimately we are getting a really distorted picture of U3 unemployment right now. The U3 rate is really only intended to measure those actively seeking work who cannot find work. But because the work requirement is no longer in place, the U3 rate is closely reflecting underemployment (typically reflected in the U6 measurement) - those who are counted in U3 + those who have given up searching for work.

If you instituted the work search requirement in order to receive UI, you’d see either A) a rush to take a job, or B) a dramatic drop in the labor force participation rate and a significant decline in U3 unemployment. It may be the case that of the remaining 8.2M jobs needed to be recovered to meet pre-Covid employment levels, only about half of those are able to be filled by this labor force. Between retirements and re-evaluation of a need to work, it’s not unreasonable to think the U3 rate would be around 3-4%; essentially Full Employment. Work requirements would clear out the least marginally attached in the labor force, simply because they don’t have an interest to work but are taking advantage (rightfully) of government stimulus, which is certainly working to boost consumer demand.
BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-08-2021, 08:03 AM   #359522
    mandy18

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

The pay is absolutely too close to make it worthwhile.
    Assuming the story is accurate and it wasn’t just because she didn’t want that specific job, but would take another at that pay, $2/ hour is too close.
    She’d lose that in commute time, gasoline, wear and tear on her car, work attire, lunches, and the time she loses to do household chores like laundry, cooking, lawn, and especially if childcare is involved.
    She may make more at $24/hour, but throw in taxes and work related expenses and she makes more at home at $22.

Now it’s short sighted, because she has to realize she’s not going to make $22 forever staying home, but in the moment, she makes more staying home.
    mandy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-08-2021, 08:06 AM   #359523
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mandy18 View Post
    The pay is absolutely too close to make it worthwhile.
    Assuming the story is accurate and it wasn’t just because she didn’t want that specific job, but would take another at that pay, $2/ hour is too close.
    She’d lose that in commute time, gasoline, wear and tear on her car, work attire, lunches, and the time she loses to do household chores like laundry, cooking, lawn, and especially if childcare is involved.
    She may make more at $24/hour, but throw in taxes and work related expenses and she makes more at home at $22.

Now it’s short sighted, because she has to realize she’s not going to make $22 forever staying home, but in the moment, she makes more staying home.
    8% is 8%, though. And when you include benefits, the comp is drastically higher. Now, not everyone considers total comp on their own, but that’s the job of the employer to sell new hires on.

It’s also tough to really gauge the story, because we don’t know A) if the woman was currently employed, B) her financial standing, C) other job offers, D) need for childcare if she returned to work, etc etc etc.

So it’s hard to say. But that there was no negotiation mentioned for a higher salary suggests that the pay probably wasn’t the key sticking point.
    Old 05-08-2021, 08:10 AM   #359524
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

Shows Seen: 50

My Tour Central Stats

The longer it takes to get people motivated to go back to work the less likely it is that the jobs are ever coming back.
    dmbmuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-08-2021, 08:11 AM   #359525
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

This is a disaster adding fuel (no pun intended) to the fire of supply disruptions across a range of things: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/08/u...-pipeline.html

Quote:
    A cyberattack forced the shutdown of one of the largest pipelines in the United States, in what appeared to be a significant attempt to disrupt vulnerable energy infrastructure. The pipeline carries refined gasoline and jet fuel up the East Coast from Texas to New York.

The operator of the system, Colonial Pipeline, said in a statement late Friday that it had shut down its 5,500 miles of pipeline, which it says carries 45 percent of the East Coast’s fuel supplies, in an effort to contain the breach on its computer networks. Earlier Friday, there were disruptions along the pipeline, but it was unclear whether that was a direct result of the attack.
    Old 05-08-2021, 08:12 AM   #359526
    mandy18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    8% is 8%, though. And when you include benefits, the comp is drastically higher. Now, not everyone considers total comp on their own, but that’s the job of the employer to sell new hires on.

It’s also tough to really gauge the story, because we don’t know A) if the woman was currently employed, B) her financial standing, C) other job offers, D) need for childcare if she returned to work, etc etc etc.

So it’s hard to say. But that there was no negotiation mentioned for a higher salary suggests that the pay probably wasn’t the key sticking point.
    She’d lose more than 8% in taxes, commute / gasoline, and other work related expenses.

I’m not saying it’s a true story, or that was her true motivation. Maybe she thought she could get more $ and sucked at negotiations and it backfired.
    But on the surface, assuming this is what went down, it would cost her the difference to literally just go back to work.

I presume she has a spouse that works and she doesn’t need benefits or necessarily job security and knows at this time, she came make almost the same to stay home, and do the household chores during the day vs trying to live how she used to. Being tired after work, but making dinner, doing laundry, grocery shopping, helping with homework, trying to get to kids events, etc.
    8% isn’t enough to trade that in yet, especially since it will cost her 8% (at minimum) to go to work once you factor in taxes and expenses.
    Old 05-08-2021, 08:12 AM   #359527
    kydmb99
    Jorts

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I don’t see 8% as that much?

When you consider the costs of working plus the utility that comes from just not having to work I could see how someone would not want to do that.
    kydmb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-08-2021, 08:16 AM   #359528
    mandy18

My Tour Central Stats

I mean social security and Medicare are what - 7.65%?

Yeah. She’d lose money at 8%.
    Old 05-08-2021, 08:17 AM   #359529
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

My Tour Central Stats

If it didn’t set a bad example for the kids, I’m positive we could live very comfortably on UI right now. Obviously, cost of living has a lot to do with that.
    Old 05-08-2021, 08:18 AM   #359530
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbmuskie View Post
    The longer it takes to get people motivated to go back to work the less likely it is that the jobs are ever coming back.
    That’s not really how it works.

It’s going to drive up wages in the near term. And we know current UI has a finite and specific termination date.

But businesses were already pretty lean going into the pandemic. It’s unlikely they’ll just decide to go without labor even after sidelined workers become more motivated to return.

I would say it’s a good time to see some dynamic of creativity and adaptation from certain industries - maybe a smart move for some restaurants and retail businesses to reduce their physical footprint.

But, again, these businesses showed robust payroll recovery last month. It’s the blue collar jobs that showed a reduction, and I don’t know if that’s a one-off anomaly, due to supply chain problems, etc. We really need another round of data, and something to understand the gap between ADP’s private payroll report showing +742K and the BLS measure of private+public showing +266K. One suggests a boom in hiring. The other suggests ho-hum in net. They cannot both be right.
    Old 05-08-2021, 08:21 AM   #359531
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kydmb99 View Post
    I don’t see 8% as that much?

When you consider the costs of working plus the utility that comes from just not having to work I could see how someone would not want to do that.
    General rule of thumb is that if you’re offered a 10% raise to change jobs, you take it. Obviously there’s considerations, but that’s the conventional thinking. So this is a fairly close gap to that 10% - and certainly more when you include benes

Quote:
    I mean social security and Medicare are what - 7.65%?

Yeah. She’d lose money at 8%.
    You’re still paying taxes on the state UI. Only the federal UI is untaxed, FWIW.

Edit: although PA may be one of few states with a state income tax that doesn’t tax UI. I’d have to check.

Last edited by BTBaboon; 05-08-2021 at 08:23 AM.
    Old 05-08-2021, 08:23 AM   #359532
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That’s not really how it works.

It’s going to drive up wages in the near term. And we know current UI has a finite and specific termination date.

But businesses were already pretty lean going into the pandemic. It’s unlikely they’ll just decide to go without labor even after sidelined workers become more motivated to return.

I would say it’s a good time to see some dynamic of creativity and adaptation from certain industries - maybe a smart move for some restaurants and retail businesses to reduce their physical footprint.

But, again, these businesses showed robust payroll recovery last month. It’s the blue collar jobs that showed a reduction, and I don’t know if that’s a one-off anomaly, due to supply chain problems, etc. We really need another round of data, and something to understand the gap between ADP’s private payroll report showing +742K and the BLS measure of private+public showing +266K. One suggests a boom in hiring. The other suggests ho-hum in net. They cannot both be right.
    Had lunch yesterday at what I would classify as fast causal + restaurant. Pre-pandemic they probably had 4 servers and a hostess. Now they have a hostess and a food runner. You order on an app, and frankly the experience is better.

My wife’s cousin owns a car dealership conglomerate. Instead of hiring car washers, they installed one at all the dealers. It always shows up for work and I think an asshole when there.

How are those jobs coming back?
    Old 05-08-2021, 08:28 AM   #359533
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbmuskie View Post
    Had lunch yesterday at what I would classify as fast causal + restaurant. Pre-pandemic they probably had 4 servers and a hostess. Now they have a hostess and a food runner. You order on an app, and frankly the experience is better.

My wife’s cousin owns a car dealership conglomerate. Instead of hiring car washers, they installed one at all the dealers. It always shows up for work and I think an asshole when there.

How are those jobs coming back?
    You’re comparing automation job losses to those created by prolonged labor shortages? Why would you do that? Do you believe that if not for labor shortages (and it sounds like these changes happened before the last month, so not really applicable anyways), these automation solutions would not have come about?
    Old 05-08-2021, 08:29 AM   #359534
    mandy18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    General rule of thumb is that if you’re offered a 10% raise to change jobs, you take it. Obviously there’s considerations, but that’s the conventional thinking. So this is a fairly close gap to that 10% - and certainly more when you include benes

You’re still paying taxes on the state UI. Only the federal UI is untaxed, FWIW.

Edit: although PA may be one of few states with a state income tax that doesn’t tax UI. I’d have to check.
    You do not pay SS and Medicare, which is about 8%.
    In PA, you don’t pay state or local, which is 3.07 and 1-3.
    So she’d pay at minimum 12% more in taxes on her 8% wage increase.
    Old 05-08-2021, 08:31 AM   #359535
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You do not pay SS and Medicare, which is about 8%.
    In PA, you don’t pay state or local, which is 3.07 and 1-3.
    So she’d pay at minimum 12% more in taxes on her 8% wage increase.
    Yup - good point, I should have looked up PA specifically

I’d still lean on the side of the job being turned down not being an issue of money, or UI vs pay. But we also don’t have much information and are wildly speculating (which is super fun for the economist in me, btw )
    Old 05-08-2021, 08:34 AM   #359536
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I can't believe we are doing a deep dive on one lady who said she didn't want a job at a car dealership.
    cazzie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-08-2021, 08:36 AM   #359537
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Sure, there’s some level where the gap between UI and the job’s pay is not significant. But 8% is fairly robust (in the example discussed for the $50k/yr entry level - and I assume there are benefits on top of that; plus the whole job security).

So to turn it down, either this woman A) doesn’t necessarily “need” work; perhaps she has a spouse that is a primary income earner, or B) she feels the job itself is not one she’s all that interested in and would prefer to sit out until something else came along. A reevaluation of work/life balance is happening throughout the labor market, but definitely moreso in white collar/middle class jobs. I don’t know what this job was specifically, but it seems the incentive wasn’t high enough to take it.

Again, while prevailing anecdotes suggest it is low skill/low paying jobs that are hard to fill, it actually appears that mid-tier pay and skill jobs are seeing the biggest difficulty, and that suggests more structural frictions in the labor supply.
    I believe those frictions in the skilled labor force were present pre-pandemic as well.
    MDPrompter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-08-2021, 08:36 AM   #359538
    mandy18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yup - good point, I should have looked up PA specifically

I’d still lean on the side of the job being turned down not being an issue of money, or UI vs pay. But we also don’t have much information and are wildly speculating (which is super fun for the economist in me, btw )
    It is fun to speculate.

In my assumption, she has a spouse that works and has benefits.
    She likely realized what she gained this past year. She had time to do her chores during the day, instead of in a tired evening or on the weekends.
    Maybe she could pick up hobbies again, like reading or baking or crochet.
    Maybe she now can go to her kids games or events without missing work.

But from a pure financial perspective, even if she hates being home, she’d would literally lose money taking a job that close to her UE benefit.
    Old 05-08-2021, 08:36 AM   #359539
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I think people want to work
    Old 05-08-2021, 08:36 AM   #359540
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazzie34 View Post
    I can't believe we are doing a deep dive on one lady who said she didn't want a job at a car dealership.
    It’s Saturday, the weather is shitty (here at least), and what else are we going to argue about!?
    Old 05-08-2021, 08:36 AM   #359541
    mandy18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazzie34 View Post
    We’ve had worse conversations around here.
    Old 05-08-2021, 08:39 AM   #359542
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It is fun to speculate.

In my assumption, she has a spouse that works and has benefits.
    She likely realized what she gained this past year. She had time to do her chores during the day, instead of in a tired evening or on the weekends.
    Maybe she could pick up hobbies again, like reading or baking or crochet.
    Maybe she now can go to her kids games or events without missing work.

But from a pure financial perspective, even if she hates being home, she’d would literally lose money taking a job that close to her UE benefit.
    Definitely - I do wonder if part of what caused the so-called “deaths of despair” to fall far short of proclamations to the contrary is exactly what you mentioned - learning that we don’t live to work; we work to live. And if we can live without work, we are generally happier as a species.

As far as this lady goes, who knows. Who knows if she’s even collecting unemployment to begin with. For all we know, she’s employed elsewhere. I’d love to know if she got the offer and was just like “nope”, or if there was a negotiation at all and they couldn’t reach a deal. It doesn’t matter one bit to anything, but my economist mind wanders...
    Old 05-08-2021, 08:39 AM   #359543
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

Shows Seen: 46

My Tour Central Stats

BT why is the BLS job openings by industry on such a huge delay??? Only feb data available???
    MDPrompter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-08-2021, 08:40 AM   #359544
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    We’ve had worse conversations around here.
    Let me hit up steng and we can get a battle royale going
    Old 05-08-2021, 08:42 AM   #359545
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It’s Saturday, the weather is shitty (here at least), and what else are we going to argue about!?

The shift?
    Old 05-08-2021, 08:45 AM   #359546
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdmarvich View Post
    BT why is the BLS job openings by industry on such a huge delay??? Only feb data available???
    Too many shitty interns! They need me back.

no idea. They make their schedule and then run it to a T.

Probably because the data is super hard to collect (as evidenced by the huge disparity between ADP and BLS’s payroll reports; one of them is wrong). Time is the biggest aid to collecting accurate information. Openings are more directly measurable and the methodology is way different than payroll surveys.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 View Post
    The shift?
    Ban it! #CancelCultureStrikesAgain
    Old 05-08-2021, 08:45 AM   #359547
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You’re comparing automation job losses to those created by prolonged labor shortages? Why would you do that? Do you believe that if not for labor shortages (and it sounds like these changes happened before the last month, so not really applicable anyways), these automation solutions would not have come about?
    Aren’t the one in the same?

They couldn’t fill jobs so they adjusted.
    Old 05-08-2021, 09:34 AM   #359548
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

My Tour Central Stats

https://www.patreon.com/drericding

Lol
    Old 05-08-2021, 09:55 AM   #359549
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

Wait, people really think someone would want to work 40 hours a week to make 8% more than if they worked 0 hours?
    Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-08-2021, 10:19 AM   #359550
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    Wait, people really think someone would want to work 40 hours a week to make 8% more than if they worked 0 hours?
    cults will be cults.
    Useliteski is offline   Reply With Quote