Official Grateful Dead Thread - Page 181 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-28-2020, 05:08 PM   #5401
Dave G

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Official Grateful Dead Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroshady View Post
That is awesome! The Band, The Allmans and the Dead! What a weekend!

My parents tired to head up that weekend and got turned away on Thursday by the police. When they got back to NJ they wound up scoring tickets to Led Zeppelin at MSG that weekend. They sat 3rd row and you can see them in the Song Remains the Same movie!
Nice!
I'm glad things worked out for them in the end

Won't you please tell the man I didn't kill anyone
No I'm just tryin' to have me some fun
Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-28-2020, 05:35 PM   #5402
    Dave G

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Whoa - that's dope as hell! Would you do a write-up going through what that was like?
    I wrote this in 2015 in this thread, so I'll just paste it and add a few things

I was going to go with about 20 of my friends. We had planned to take up a vanand a care or two, but when the time it came to go everyone bailed. So it was just me and a friend who said “screw it, let’s go”.
    We decided to ride up on his 250 Yamaha Enduro, so at 3:00 am Thursday morning we stopped in our local Texaco station filled up the tank and each of us bought a full bag of Jamaican weed for 20 bucks a piece from the attendant, and having everything we needed we were off.

For most of the way the trip was rather uneventful except for getting a ticket for not having our helmets on somewhere in NY and getting a tune-up for the bike. We stopped a few times on the way to rest, get baked and wave to the steady line of honking cars as they drove by.
    At about 4 pm we were about 25 or so miles away from Watkins Glen and started hitting some major traffic, so we rode up on the shoulder the rest of the way and thankfully didn’t get nailed by any car doors.

The gates were down by the time we got there. We took our tickets and the ones that our friends gave us to sell and threw them up in the air (an action I still regret to this day, but it was cool when we did it) and rode in.
    We drove around the track once and then parked the bike under an overpass.
    We then set up our tent in a pretty empty field, which by the time we got up next morning was filling up with tents and people.
    Then we made our way down to the concert area and wound up at the base of the center speaker tower, which we thought would be a good place to use as a visual reference. The tower base was claimed by a group of kinda scary looking freaks that looked rather intimidating. We later found out that they worked at some sort of insane asylum, and were really a great bunch of people. They sort of they sort of took us under their wing and we ended up staying there the rest of the weekend and never did get back to our tent

We then made the rounds on drug alley which was just a path where people had set up tables and you could get anything you desired. We dropped a hit of acid (or two) and people watched and actually met some friends from our town.
    When we finally realized that what we thought has house music playing was actually the bands doing sound checks we headed back to the tower and caught the end of The Band’s one hour sound check followed by The Allman Brothers and The Dead’s 2 set sound check.
    After that I needed a break from all the people, saw a group of trees off in the distance and stepped over people and said “excuse me” for what seemed like hours before I was able to get a little solitude.

Saturday started out great weather wise and we watched the National Guard helicopter ferry in water and supplies and bought some outrageously priced food. The Dead started the concert around noon followed by the Band. Originally Leon Russell was supposed to be playing instead of the band, but was switched out supposedly at the request of Jerry. Leon was my man at the time and I was kinda bummed that he got bumped, but I got over it

During the Bands set some parachutes opened up above the concert with the people holding colored flares. One guy looked to be in trouble and drifted off. We found out later that he had died.
    After a few songs by the Band the skies opened up and it rained cats and dogs. I swear that everytime I go to upper state NY it rains at least once.
    The Allman brothers came on later that night, and during their set some workers came by to wrap the tower speakers in plastic. The dudes from the asylum told them it would be in their best interest to leave the roll of plastic behind (which they did)
    The Allman Brothers played until almost 3am jamming with members of the Dead and with a crapload of people dancing under a long snaking piece of plastic by the towers .
    Next morning we found the bike parked exactly where we left if, kicked it over and were gone. We had to stop at the police station to pay our ticket on the way home. They had a bunch of pot plants in buckets that they had confiscated from somewhere and when asked if we knew what they were, we assured them we didn’t.
    All in all a great experience and I'm so glad I didn't bail like my friends. We got a lot of lucky breaks during our trip and it sort of felt like someone was watching out for us

Won't you please tell the man I didn't kill anyone
    No I'm just tryin' to have me some fun
    Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-29-2020, 07:04 AM   #5403
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Dude that was awesome! Thanks for sharing! Very jealous of your experience.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2020, 01:46 PM   #5404
    fiddlemethis

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Missing Dead & CO so much. They were really my most forward looking show this summer outside of DMB at the Gorge. I had tickets for Folsom Field and was just looking forward to 2 days of losing my face. I went in 2018 and 2019 and there's just not much to compare it to in terms of overall experience. I know it's not GD, but the crowd is just something else man. 40000 people digging on Althea or Bertha is a spiritual thing. DMB is awesome, but the crowd experience just doesn't compare. People into Grateful Dead music are really into the music and the experience. Yes, partying is part of it but not so much that the music doesn't matter. DMB fans have way too many girlfriends or groups of people going because it's the thing to do. No one goes to see Dead & CO to talk about it at work, because literally no one cares! That's the beauty of it. It's not the cool thing to do! It's just awesome to be there.

I went by myself the 2 years prior and had such an awesome awesome time. I never go to shows alone but really wanted to because I didn't want to be distracted from the music with someone who might get bored or wanting to leave early or something. I loved it! I was really able to just sink into the sound and ride the waves. Made good conversation with folks around me, and never really felt lonely at all. Solely because I couldn't think of one person in my network that would get as much from the shows as I would. They're not missing anything. This is for me! I only get lonely when I'm staring at a sunset and someone I'm thinking of isn't there with me to enjoy it equally. But if they hated sunsets, I wouldn't be thinking of them.

It's such a bummer. I need live music so bad. I'm starting to really miss it. More than I thought even. And not all of it. But bands like Dead & CO really are on a time crunch. They may have 2-3 years tops, but anything could stop it at this point. Bobby's voice is going to go soon, Mickey and Bill are more or less on the fence from what I can tell. I think Bob would do 75 shows a year with Dead & CO, but the rest of the gang wants it to be limited.

I'm hoping 2021 doesn't get interrupted but at this point I can't imagine us all going to Folsom Field without a care in the world and just enjoying the tunes and each other.

Love to all!
    fiddlemethis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2020, 01:46 PM   #5405
    fiddlemethis

My Tour Central Stats

Anybody else subscribe to Dave's Picks? I'm excited for this new release tomorrow.
    fiddlemethis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #5406
    dmb31fan

Shows Seen: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fiddlemethis View Post
    Anybody else subscribe to Dave's Picks? I'm excited for this new release tomorrow.
    I'm a relatively new GD fan and am very much looking forward to the 84 release. Have never heard a show from that year, or really from the early/mid 80s so I'm excited to give this one a listen.
    dmb31fan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2020, 11:24 AM   #5407
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

happy birthday jerry!
    this stream has been great so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKeoj24Vm_c
    Useliteski is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2020, 02:36 PM   #5408
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

JRAD is live on nuggs

This town is nuts, my kind of place. I don't never ever want to leave....
    Climb2safety is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2020, 02:55 PM   #5409
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Climb2safety View Post
    JRAD is live on nuggs
    Nothing like a 100mph Franklins!

Old 08-07-2020, 08:14 AM   #5410
    TypicalBilly14

My Tour Central Stats

25 years ago, Jerry Garcia RIP!

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-dead-1040237/
    TypicalBilly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-07-2020, 03:06 PM   #5411
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 View Post
    Will give this read. Jerry died on August 9th 1995 though. Can’t believe it have been that long now.
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    aeroshady is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-07-2020, 04:13 PM   #5412
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Swing, and a miss

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-07-2020, 08:43 PM   #5413
    TypicalBilly14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aeroshady View Post
    Will give this read. Jerry died on August 9th 1995 though. Can’t believe it have been that long now.
    From the article:

I went down to our office in San Rafael. Phil and Bob were there, and [Robert] Hunter, Vince [Welnick], and [publicist] Dennis McNally. People in the office were crying. We hugged and then we went our separate ways. I was a wreck. Carter Beauford [of the Dave Matthews Band] was setting up drums in my home studio for some overdubs for an album I was doing. Carter played the session, and I didn’t want him to go home. I knew I had to be around music with other people. That was the day. It was beyond belief.
    TypicalBilly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-23-2020, 04:07 PM   #5414
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Listened to JRAD for the first time today. At first I thought they were just a real good cover band. The more the show got going, the more I realized they're an exceptional cover band. I can't pinpoint it exactly but they definitely put something different on the songs than just an average cover band. Really impressed with what I hear.d
    Old 11-24-2020, 06:56 AM   #5415
    laverwater

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Listened to JRAD for the first time today. At first I thought they were just a real good cover band. The more the show got going, the more I realized they're an exceptional cover band. I can't pinpoint it exactly but they definitely put something different on the songs than just an average cover band. Really impressed with what I hear.d
    They might be my 2nd favorite band to see live right now. Their jamming is incredible. They are all very talented, but the chemistry between Russo/Hamilton, Russo/Benevento, and Hamilton/Benevento, is a sight to see.
    laverwater is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2021, 10:05 AM   #5416
    dmbfd15

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Currently spinning Dick’s Picks Vol 19- 10/19/73 Fairgrounds Arena Oklahoma City while working.

This may be my favorite Dicks Picks. I really do love Vol 8 for the acoustic set too but the sound quality and performance on Vol 19 is unmatched.

What is everyone else’s favorite?
    dmbfd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2021, 10:25 AM   #5417
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by laverwater View Post
    They might be my 2nd favorite band to see live right now. Their jamming is incredible. They are all very talented, but the chemistry between Russo/Hamilton, Russo/Benevento, and Hamilton/Benevento, is a sight to see.
    I need to give a chance. I though when they were in a dead song they were exceptional but some of the other songs and the jams lost me. And just a touch too much focus on the drums

Old 01-13-2021, 04:12 PM   #5418
    crush_me_16125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I need to give a chance. I though when they were in a dead song they were exceptional but some of the other songs and the jams lost me. And just a touch too much focus on the drums
    They are phenomenal. For me, their full band improvisation is topped only by Phish. They are all wonderful musicians individually who make magic as a unit. Tom Hamilton is one of my favorite guitarist, Dave Dreiwitz is a really underrated bassist, and Joe Russo is a superhuman alien hybrid. They are also amongst the kings of tempo changes during jams. They are essentially a super talented jazz fusion group that happens to play Grateful Dead songs.

If you couldn’t tell, I’m a fan.
    crush_me_16125 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2021, 04:42 PM   #5419
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crush_me_16125 View Post
    They are phenomenal. For me, their full band improvisation is topped only by Phish. They are all wonderful musicians individually who make magic as a unit. Tom Hamilton is one of my favorite guitarist, Dave Dreiwitz is a really underrated bassist, and Joe Russo is a superhuman alien hybrid. They are also amongst the kings of tempo changes during jams. They are essentially a super talented jazz fusion group that happens to play Grateful Dead songs.

If you couldn’t tell, I’m a fan.

I love it brother

Old 01-14-2021, 08:21 PM   #5420
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Casting 7/2/89 on YouTube to my TV with my son.

Great show and perfect video.

Good night.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:11 PM   #5421
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

My Tour Central Stats

Pretty awesome Jerry print available for preorder through next week.

https://www.garciafamilyprovisions.c...y?cp=640_65646

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2021, 09:28 PM   #5422
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post

I saw this on FB. Looks so cool. I ordered one to frame and give to my son on his birthday.

Old 01-15-2021, 06:20 AM   #5423
    crush_me_16125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I dig that!
    crush_me_16125 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-28-2021, 02:57 PM   #5424
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

My Tour Central Stats

Just picked up a classic lot shirt from my youth
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg 22F428CB-7FEE-473F-BA1C-6B4D35A1D693.jpg (73.5 KB, 14 views)

Old 01-29-2021, 06:26 AM   #5425
    Bostonsux013
    VICTORY!

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

https://jambands.com/news/2021/01/13...pitol-theatre/

Big fan of Billy Strings and this looks like a really cool event. First and last day will be free on Twitch which is cool.

Only question I have is will he be covering dead songs, playing them song for song as they did in their 6 night run or will it just be a mix of Billy songs with Dead songs?
    Bostonsux013 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-29-2021, 06:30 AM   #5426
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bostonsux013 View Post
    https://jambands.com/news/2021/01/13...pitol-theatre/

Big fan of Billy Strings and this looks like a really cool event. First and last day will be free on Twitch which is cool.

Only question I have is will he be covering dead songs, playing them song for song as they did in their 6 night run or will it just be a mix of Billy songs with Dead songs?

Billy has singlehandedly made me like bluegrass (ok maybe phish planted the seed). Cant wait for these. His streams in Nashville in the summer were awesome.

Its not gonna be playing dead sets I dont think, probably just covers mixed in. Their cover of Wharf Rat is unreal, his voice is perfect.

As another note, Umphrey's McGee has live streams all weekend. Fan voted sets.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-29-2021, 11:26 AM   #5427
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Billy has singlehandedly made me like bluegrass (ok maybe phish planted the seed). Cant wait for these. His streams in Nashville in the summer were awesome.

Its not gonna be playing dead sets I dont think, probably just covers mixed in. Their cover of Wharf Rat is unreal, his voice is perfect.

As another note, Umphrey's McGee has live streams all weekend. Fan voted sets.
    Same for me. I kept hearing about him so I checked out his most recent album and loved it. He's a top tier priority for me to see when live music returns. It's because of him I got into Del McCoury and had an appreciation for Tyler Childer's Long Violent History album.
    Old 01-29-2021, 02:12 PM   #5428
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I honestly can't get into them. Saw them at Red Rocks in 2019 as a huge Dead Head. Everyone said I had to check them out. They are all great musicians, but I can't stand a 90 minute set with no song breaks.. It's just ear fatiguing. Plus the singing is very sub par. Everyone agrees with me on this. Why not find a bad ass singer.

It's not that Jerry and the boys had pretty voices. But they sure as hell had emotion behind them. JRAD every song sounds the same. They sing every single song like they're reading them off a teleprompter. No emotion no good intonation in the vocals. Just kind of monotoned...

I am not a fan.
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-29-2021, 02:14 PM   #5429
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbfd15 View Post
    Currently spinning Dick’s Picks Vol 19- 10/19/73 Fairgrounds Arena Oklahoma City while working.

This may be my favorite Dicks Picks. I really do love Vol 8 for the acoustic set too but the sound quality and performance on Vol 19 is unmatched.

What is everyone else’s favorite?
    I haven't dived into this one yet! My favorite is 34. Rochester NY. Smoking fall 77 show. Awesome energy from start to finish. And a great recording sonically speaking. It's just a joy to listen to. I have a hard time putting it away.
    Old 01-29-2021, 02:15 PM   #5430
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    From the article:

I went down to our office in San Rafael. Phil and Bob were there, and [Robert] Hunter, Vince [Welnick], and [publicist] Dennis McNally. People in the office were crying. We hugged and then we went our separate ways. I was a wreck. Carter Beauford [of the Dave Matthews Band] was setting up drums in my home studio for some overdubs for an album I was doing. Carter played the session, and I didn’t want him to go home. I knew I had to be around music with other people. That was the day. It was beyond belief.
    So interesting the Carter connection that day. Of all days for the drummer of OUR communities favorite band to be with Mickey Hart.