iHeartRadio - INSIDE THE STUDIO - Interview - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-17-2018, 07:47 PM   #61
coolhotwaves
is classic

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Re: iHeartRadio - INSIDE THE STUDIO - Interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshg View Post
Did this comment, "I know the guys agree that Boyd certainly was a big part of the early part of the band", rub anyone the wrong way. An antagonistic understatement if I've ever heard one. Boyd was absolutely seminal in BTCS and tLWS. The early part of the band? If I was Boyd, this comment would piss me off. I'd be livid.

Ignore the double entendres in the above.
Dave’s not wrong about this. Boyd Checked out during the mid 2000’s
coolhotwaves is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-17-2018, 08:09 PM   #62
    pbroderi86

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I agree Boyd checked out a long time ago - no doubt in that. Does anyone think it's strange timing, amidst all the BT allegations the timing of this interview? I'm seeing a huge PR move here by a big business. If there was so much animosity (which indeed was noticeable to us), why leave everyone hanging for months on what was going on? The allegations against Boyd are not minor - he put the livelihood of all those who worked around him at risk.
    Just seems a bit strange to me this interview comes out at a time when BT is on the run and cannot tell his side of the story. To me, looks like DMB played it cool and are telling the story to the public as an easy let down.
    pbroderi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2018, 08:23 PM   #63
    joshg

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gjimmy View Post
    If you think about it though, BTSC and LWS was the "early" part of the DMB. That was 20 years ago...

I get what you're saying, but whenever I have heard "early part of the band" mentioned in interviews, it is almost always referring to the batch of songs that created UTTAD and Crash.

Makes it seem like his contributions ended after the Flood Zone and Trax years

Last edited by joshg; 07-17-2018 at 08:26 PM.
    joshg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2018, 08:30 PM   #64
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pele0069!!!!! View Post
    It's pretty obvious the split was coming in retrospect but what I think is weird is that they didn't replace him. Even with CT there are spots where there should be a violin in songs if its DMB IMHO. For instance the Jam on Again and again seems like they zigged with the electric where they should have zagged with a violin. Dave said he wanted the band to stand like Cant Stop right now and that he didn't really want Idea of You on the Album.

For me Again and Again could have been one of the all time great songs but the choices they made were very showing of the direction that the band is headed.
    Ehh, it'd be weird if they don't bring a violinist in next year...right not, it's about distancing themselves from Boyd. I would not rule out a replacement in the future.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #65
    pensfan71

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Now that Boyd is out of the way. How much longer until Carter steps down?
    pensfan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2018, 10:39 PM   #66
    joshg

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pensfan71 View Post
    Now that Boyd is out of the way. How much longer until Carter steps down?

5 years.
    joshg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2018, 11:08 PM   #67
    pensfan71

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    5 years.

I was thinking that as well. Can’t imagine him drumming like that past 65.
    pensfan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2018, 11:25 PM   #68
    bubba40

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Good on Dave for showing Boyd the door.
    bubba40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2018, 02:12 AM   #69
    crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Is it possible that the whole thing with LeRoi back in 06 when the band almost broke up was about getting rid of Boyd? Maybe LeRoi was pissed that he wasn't pulling his weight and Dave didn't have the guts to kick him out? It seems like the addition of Tim in 08 was the start of phasing out Boyd
    Old 07-18-2018, 03:06 AM   #70
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gjimmy View Post
    Lillywhite responded to Dave's comments about people making him second guess himself. Lillywhite took that as a compliment to his original mixes. What I put together was Lillywhite originally had the mixes that Dave liked, then someone got in Dave's head and in turn re-mixed Lillywhite's stuff.

Would love a podcast with Lillywhite about "Lillywhite Sessions" and AFTW... come on Norlander! Make it happen.
    Old 07-18-2018, 03:58 AM   #71
    bigstogs
    Summer '16 Tour: Moline

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Did this comment, "I know the guys agree that Boyd certainly was a big part of the early part of the band", rub anyone the wrong way. An antagonistic understatement if I've ever heard one. Boyd was absolutely seminal in BTCS and tLWS. The early part of the band? If I was Boyd, this comment would piss me off. I'd be livid.

Who really cares if Boyd is pissed. It’s his own fault that he is a shell of the player that he once was. Dave being open and saying that he had confrontations with him says a lot. It seems to me that Boyd didn’t give a fuck anymore and Dave gave him a choice... quit or I fire you. Boyd quit as he should have. Doesn’t matter if he was there during the beginning. Dave and the other guys owe him nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    bigstogs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2018, 04:30 AM   #72
    tripeyedfish

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I felt the same way reading that. While others have pointed out, he may not have meant strictly the 90’s...still didn’t like that. Like it or not, Boyd was a huge part of the band for many people. The violin helped make this band unique, as did Boyd. Let’s not all pretend now that Dave’s abilities have gotten better over the years... I still enjoy the band and will continue to see shows, but the people acting like Boyd was a nobody in this band are full of it. I miss the violin as well as his stage presence.A liog solo from Boyd will always be near the top of any concert experience

Last edited by tripeyedfish; 07-18-2018 at 04:32 AM.
    tripeyedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2018, 04:36 AM   #73
    bigstogs

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tripeyedfish View Post
    I felt the same way reading that. While others have pointed out, he may not have meant strictly the 90’s...still didn’t like that. Like it or not, Boyd was a huge part of the band for many people. The violin helped make this band unique, as did Boyd. Let’s not all pretend now that Dave’s abilities have gotten better over the years... I still enjoy the band and will continue to see shows, but the people acting like Boyd was a nobody in this band are full of it. I miss the violin as well as his stage presence.A liog solo from Boyd will always be near the top of any concert experience

15 or 20 years ago I would have agreed with you. But hell, the band has had him turned down for nearly that time as his playing has been sub par. I’d rather hear anyone take over Boyd’s solos than the product he has been putting out over the last 10 years if not more.

It’s a shitty situation, but I’m a DMB fan wether Boyd is there or not. This tour they sound better than they have in years.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:04 AM   #74
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TurboPGT View Post
    Except what he goes on to say, especially in the World Cafe interview, is that he is far more interested in the musicians playing "their notes" and not "the notes".

A violinist coming into the band now would just be trying their best to copy the album version of the violin. Bringing in a piano did not have that weight hanging over it.
    But he's not talking about the key elements of the song. Of course you'd want parts of songs to retain the album version of the violin, Ants Marching intro (F/A > G/A), Pig intro, etc. I don't think Dave wants Jeff Coffin to play something different than the D2 > G2 > D3 during One Sweet World intro, it's the biggest moment of the song.

Someone like Driessen would be every bit the virtuoso and improvisationalist as anyone else on the stage, definitely playing "their" notes. DMB has structured jams, within those jams this guy would fit perfectly. It would be so cool to finally hear DMB with a true virtuoso on violin. They've had many skilled guitarists, bassists, banjo players, brass players and other instruments guesting over the years, but never a violinist. Weird. At least I don't think they've ever had a violin guest.
    Old 07-18-2018, 06:10 AM   #75
    lavillasean

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wrhslax1996 View Post
    Oh yeah if i saw anyone in the band just walking down the street by themselves I'd definitely shake their hand or something. I just won't seek out houses or try to scout hotels like I know some people have done.

And I agree. If they're with their family it's a hard no
    I once was seated in an airport waiting gate at LAX and Taylor Hawkins was sitting right across from me. He was alone, but was intently reading something....I left him alone. Would've liked to say hello but he looked like he didn't want to be bothered.
    lavillasean is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2018, 06:20 AM   #76
    Pele0069!!!!!

Shows Seen: 39

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    Ehh, it'd be weird if they don't bring a violinist in next year...right not, it's about distancing themselves from Boyd. I would not rule out a replacement in the future.
    It seems to me that DMB doesnt want a violin anymore. So i would be very (happily) surprised if they replace him.

I know a lot of bands replace members but when I listen to DMB its hard to think that its not the same band as it used to be.

I wonder what other fan bases feel about replacing members.
    Pele0069!!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2018, 06:35 AM   #77
    dreamer689

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeatFreakGeek View Post
    and here comes NPR:
    https://www.npr.org/sections/world-c...es-his-present

"In this band ... I want everything that you have. I want every bit of musicality you have. That's what I demand from everybody," Dave says. "Boyd has not been able to bring that or a long time ... and for that reason, he had to go and take care of himself."
    So interesting. I've thought this as an outsider's perspective about Boyd for a long time, just listening to him play live. He hasn't been the Boyd I first knew in the 90s for a long time, musically.

I'm so excited about how excited the band seems to be about Buddy!
    dreamer689 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2018, 06:36 AM   #78
    dreamer689

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pele0069!!!!! View Post
    It seems to me that DMB doesnt want a violin anymore. So i would be very (happily) surprised if they replace him.

I know a lot of bands replace members but when I listen to DMB its hard to think that its not the same band as it used to be.

I wonder what other fan bases feel about replacing members.
    I agree that they are not the same band they used to be. However, I don't think they are a worse band. In fact, I agree with Dave that musically they are now much stronger with Buddy than with Boyd of late. I do love the sound of a violin in DMB and would have no issue with finding a new violinist but I also don't think they should rush that process. They need to find a great fit there.
    Old 07-18-2018, 06:37 AM   #79
    dreamer689

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    But he's not talking about the key elements of the song. Of course you'd want parts of songs to retain the album version of the violin, Ants Marching intro (F/A > G/A), Pig intro, etc. I don't think Dave wants Jeff Coffin to play something different than the D2 > G2 > D3 during One Sweet World intro, it's the biggest moment of the song.

Someone like Driessen would be every bit the virtuoso and improvisationalist as anyone else on the stage, definitely playing "their" notes. DMB has structured jams, within those jams this guy would fit perfectly. It would be so cool to finally hear DMB with a true virtuoso on violin. They've had many skilled guitarists, bassists, banjo players, brass players and other instruments guesting over the years, but never a violinist. Weird. At least I don't think they've ever had a violin guest.
    I agree with you. The best part about Boyd was the energy he brought during his solos I think. It would be interesting to hear them with a better violinist from a technical and improvisational point of view - someone that matches Jeff and Tim and Carter in their virtuosity.
    Old 07-18-2018, 07:00 AM   #80
    Madnana
    Smoke the Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pbroderi86 View Post
    I agree Boyd checked out a long time ago - no doubt in that. Does anyone think it's strange timing, amidst all the BT allegations the timing of this interview? I'm seeing a huge PR move here by a big business. If there was so much animosity (which indeed was noticeable to us), why leave everyone hanging for months on what was going on? The allegations against Boyd are not minor - he put the livelihood of all those who worked around him at risk.
    Just seems a bit strange to me this interview comes out at a time when BT is on the run and cannot tell his side of the story. To me, looks like DMB played it cool and are telling the story to the public as an easy let down.
    Yes, the timing is very unusual. Two separate interviews coming out at the same time where Dave insists that it was strictly a lack of dedication/commitment from BT. And while it's obvious that Dave isn't lying about that, I'm still convinced there's more going on here. Boyd's playing has been going downhill for a long time. Why wait until now to kick him out? And why scrub Boyd from all but one song on the album?

Also, I don't think it's just a coincidence that Boyd "takes a break" from DMB right after the Crystal Garden "Me Too" thing came to light. And in May, when the charges were formally brought against Boyd? The band officially cut ties with BT. And we're expected to believe all of this is simply because Boyd didn't "bring it" to rehearsals? I'm not buying it.

I think Dave is using Boyd's musical deterioration as an excuse.. as an easy way to talk about why Boyd is no longer in the band without having to discuss all the disgusting allegations. But I get it. No one wants to talk about sexual abuse. And I get that they are, in a way "brothers", so I don't expect Dave to say anything that will make things even worse for Boyd legally.

It kind of reminds me of a certain president firing a certain FBI director for the way he handled a certain opposing candidate's e-mail scandal. It's like, yeah that was pretty fucked up, but we know that's not why you fired him!
    Madnana is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2018, 07:50 AM   #81
    fanch16

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Madnana View Post
    Yes, the timing is very unusual. Two separate interviews coming out at the same time where Dave insists that it was strictly a lack of dedication/commitment from BT. And while it's obvious that Dave isn't lying about that, I'm still convinced there's more going on here. Boyd's playing has been going downhill for a long time. Why wait until now to kick him out? And why scrub Boyd from all but one song on the album?

Also, I don't think it's just a coincidence that Boyd "takes a break" from DMB right after the Crystal Garden "Me Too" thing came to light. And in May, when the charges were formally brought against Boyd? The band officially cut ties with BT. And we're expected to believe all of this is simply because Boyd didn't "bring it" to rehearsals? I'm not buying it.

I think Dave is using Boyd's musical deterioration as an excuse.. as an easy way to talk about why Boyd is no longer in the band without having to discuss all the disgusting allegations. But I get it. No one wants to talk about sexual abuse. And I get that they are, in a way "brothers", so I don't expect Dave to say anything that will make things even worse for Boyd legally.

It kind of reminds me of a certain president firing a certain FBI director for the way he handled a certain opposing candidate's e-mail scandal. It's like, yeah that was pretty fucked up, but we know that's not why you fired him!

But Dave specifically said it was his performance "in addition to his personal stuff" that led to his firing. I think they were frustrated for years with him, and then with this now going public it was the straw that broke the camels back. they had no choice, and that was probably what forced Dave to give Boyd the ultimatum.
    fanch16 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2018, 07:54 AM   #82
    NeatFreakGeek

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Madnana View Post

I think your timing is off. "The Decision" was announced by Boyd, on Twitter, in Feb right before the Super Bowl gig (right after the summer tour was announced -- but before the album). Then Dave did the Vulture interview that talked about Boyd "getting healthy."

Then radio silence til the Crystal Garden stuff came out, the eve of the tour.

So it sounds like Boyd and Dave had a confrontation right before the Super Bowl show -- maybe it was during rehearsals? (weren't there rumors Boyd was spotted near the venue?) And then Dave told him to take a hike and get himself right....at least for the 18 tour.

But then, once the Crystal Garden stuff came out, assuming we all believe the official line that no one else knew about it, whatever door was left cracked open for his return...was slammed shut.
    NeatFreakGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2018, 08:03 AM   #83
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

My Tour Central Stats

I belive I should have written that OSW passage as d″ > g″ > d‴
    Old 07-18-2018, 08:41 AM   #84
    pbroderi86

Shows Seen: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I’d rather not focus too much on what is said or not said in an interview. Yes he said it was his playing in addition to his personal stuff. If you recall back to the vulture interview - it was sort of left open ended that Boyd needed to get healthy, and Dave wasn’t sure when Boyd would be back. Dave knew damn well what was going on and that he’d never be back.

Wasn’t he fired the very next day after charges were public? Let’s also remember how he was fired. There was no official statement made - paraphrasing here, but it was a subtle Although Boyd is no longer a member of the band. Then a whole lot of silence and now this interview.

I really just don’t like the way everything played out. DMB used to make me feel that it was all about the music, but I feel as any successful business, it is as much about the money. At least for their management. I’d heavily argue against the opinion that CT is his best work. Dave’s lyrical ability used to speak to me with a poetic brilliance. This is far from that.

The band sounded great at the shows I saw this summer. But just like the honeymoon period ending in a relationship, the entire experience just wasn’t as excitable as it has been in the 10+ years I’ve been listening to them. Maybe it’s just the end of an era for me, and I need it to be what it is, but definitely don’t feel the same way as it was even a few years ago.
    pbroderi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2018, 08:49 AM   #85
    BringBackButchT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeatFreakGeek View Post
    I think your timing is off. "The Decision" was announced by Boyd, on Twitter, in Feb right before the Super Bowl gig (right after the summer tour was announced -- but before the album). Then Dave did the Vulture interview that talked about Boyd "getting healthy."

Then radio silence til the Crystal Garden stuff came out, the eve of the tour.

So it sounds like Boyd and Dave had a confrontation right before the Super Bowl show -- maybe it was during rehearsals? (weren't there rumors Boyd was spotted near the venue?) And then Dave told him to take a hike and get himself right....at least for the 18 tour.

But then, once the Crystal Garden stuff came out, assuming we all believe the official line that no one else knew about it, whatever door was left cracked open for his return...was slammed shut.
    The Crystal Garden stuff was also talked about months before on that guy's Facebook (and posted about here). You can bet they were aware of at least the content of the post.

Also, Boyd's ex business partner's suit was years ago; while it was thrown out, you can again bet the band/Red Light were aware of its content.

I don't think Dave is lying but I think they were only willing to accept Boyd as either a musical or legal liability, not both.
    BringBackButchT is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2018, 08:59 AM   #86
    Blackandblu34

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

The Superbowl show was kind of sub par as any one off DMB show usually is, but Dave was downright giddy that evening. And has been ever since. It's like a huge burden was lifted from his life.

I think the Boyd stuff started post Roi. His passing hit Boyd the deepest I would argue as it was his musical counterpart on stage. Roi was bringing the melodic lines, and Boyd would weave in and out of them. It was beautiful. Once that was lost and Tim was playing more and more where Boyd used to, it's like he gave up. He didn't participate in Big Whiskey Sessions much and started making movies and another band. Also seemingly getting heavy into drugs or something because he became unintelligible in interviews.
    Blackandblu34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2018, 09:05 AM   #87
    BringBackButchT

My Tour Central Stats

I have to wonder about all those interviews (which seemingly come out every album) where they say "we weren't communicating like we used to...." was that always about Boyd? And maybe Roi, as Dave has alluded to him being "difficult" and admitted he had some issues with drugs at some points?
    BringBackButchT is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2018, 09:43 AM   #88
    mray10
    devil's reject

Shows Seen: 38

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tripeyedfish View Post
    I miss his contributions, too, but the only person to blame for his absence is Boyd.

His sometimes poor live performances are what a lot of people are noting here, but that's not really what Dave is talking about as his concern. As people point out, those go back 20 years. To some extent, that's just part of the Boyd experience, always has been, see him having to overdub solos for LiC (though it's become notably worse over the past decade, no doubt). But Dave's issue seems less to do with live performances (he notes that Boyd was always up there and "present" on stage with them) and he's not dissing his live performance chops, he's specifically criticizing his presence in rehearsals and in the studio. The professional, behind the scenes part of the job, where he was apparently either not present at all or, when he did show, was not really engaged. That doesn't fly at most jobs and it eventually wore out it's welcome at DMB Inc as well.

And all that's aside from the allegations against him.
    mray10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #89
    bigstogs

My Tour Central Stats

I believe that “Live Performances” were a huge part of the problem and mainly the reason Boyd is gone. Boyd has been playing terribly live for years. It’s well known that they turn him down in the mix so the crowd can’t hear it as well.

It’s not far off to think that Boyd was being a douche and didn’t want to rehearse for this year’s tour. This no doubt was the last straw for Dave, knowing that Boyd needs the practice, and he told him to either get his mind right and perform or hit the road.

We clearly know now that Boyd didn’t care about being a member anymore and decided to just walk away.

The rest of the band seems much more inline with each other now that the “Boyd” cloud is no longer on tour with them.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:04 AM   #90
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigstogs View Post
    I believe that “Live Performances” were a huge part of the problem and mainly the reason Boyd is gone. Boyd has been playing terribly live for years. It’s well known that they turn him down in the mix so the crowd can’t hear it as well.

It’s not far off to think that Boyd was being a douche and didn’t want to rehearse for this year’s tour. This no doubt was the last straw for Dave, knowing that Boyd needs the practice, and he told him to either get his mind right and perform or hit the road.

We clearly know now that Boyd didn’t care about being a member anymore and decided to just walk away.

The rest of the band seems much more inline with each other now that the “Boyd” cloud is no longer on tour with them.

did you listen to/read interviews? boyd didnt just walk away. Dave had to push him out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote