LT 6 and LT 7 Vinyl Release! - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 11-30-2020, 01:21 PM   #61
moosicmaniac

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: LT 6 and LT 7 Vinyl Release!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacubsfan View Post
Honest question for folks here...i own all of the LT releases digitally (FLAC) and have never been a vinyl person. Have heard "vinyl sounds better/best" in some circles, but curious if those of you ordering this are ordering for the sound or some other reason. I get the collectability and other reasons (e.g. have to be deliberate in what you're listening too, how they look, nostalgia, etc) but if i own them all and have enjoyed them digitally do i bother trying to purchase something like this that i'd have to also purchase a turntable for and change my listening habits for? Just curious what you all think....thanks.
All of the above.

However I'd shy away from buying a turntable JUST for this. Many entry-level turntables don't sound very good and have tracking force issues that will destroy your records with repeated plays. To me it's one of those things that I'd suggest really taking the plunge on ($500 or so min. for a stereo setup) or sticking with digital.
moosicmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-30-2020, 01:57 PM   #62
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vacubsfan View Post
    Honest question for folks here...i own all of the LT releases digitally (FLAC) and have never been a vinyl person. Have heard "vinyl sounds better/best" in some circles, but curious if those of you ordering this are ordering for the sound or some other reason. I get the collectability and other reasons (e.g. have to be deliberate in what you're listening too, how they look, nostalgia, etc) but if i own them all and have enjoyed them digitally do i bother trying to purchase something like this that i'd have to also purchase a turntable for and change my listening habits for? Just curious what you all think....thanks.
    I'm a sound quality above all else kind of person (for example, it irritates me to no end when an album is only released in streaming or mp3 quality with no CD or FLAC option). I've been collecting vinyl for about 20 years and I generally only buy vinyl if it is expected to sound better than other sources available, which definitely happens sometimes with certain albums where great care has been taken in mastering and producing it on vinyl. The Crash album on vinyl is a pretty good example of that. With these DMB Live Trax releases, for me it's generally not quite about the sound. I enjoy collecting these really nice box sets and listening to them is just a different experience than listening to them digitally. They might not sound any better (and very unlikely to sound worse), but I enjoy owning them. If sound quality is your only criteria for listening to music, then just enjoy the CD's. Getting into vinyl is a huge rabbit hole of expenses to really take advantage of it and it's only worth it if you're willing to really get into it.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2020, 02:09 PM   #63
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    I'm a sound quality above all else kind of person (for example, it irritates me to no end when an album is only released in streaming or mp3 quality with no CD or FLAC option). I've been collecting vinyl for about 20 years and I generally only buy vinyl if it is expected to sound better than other sources available, which definitely happens sometimes with certain albums where great care has been taken in mastering and producing it on vinyl. The Crash album on vinyl is a pretty good example of that. With these DMB Live Trax releases, for me it's generally not quite about the sound. I enjoy collecting these really nice box sets and listening to them is just a different experience than listening to them digitally. They might not sound any better (and very unlikely to sound worse), but I enjoy owning them. If sound quality is your only criteria for listening to music, then just enjoy the CD's. Getting into vinyl is a huge rabbit hole of expenses to really take advantage of it and it's only worth it if you're willing to really get into it.

Exactly why I'm not a vinyl person, what I listen to works for me and vinyl would end up being a lot of money. I had a gf who had a vinyl player and it wasn't any drastically different or better.
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2020, 03:06 PM   #64
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

I enjoy collecting vinyl but I've also reached a point where I ask myself if I'm gonna play a record enough to justify its cost

If I'm finding things in the dollar bin, the answer is almost always yes

If it's an $80-$100 LT box set, dope as it might be, the answer for me is usually no

And I wanna stress that that's the answer for me. YMMV, obviously
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2020, 03:08 PM   #65
    wmg21
    shoot straight

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

For me, vinyl was an excuse to upgrade my overall listening experience. Sure, I don't always consume music this way, but it's fun and enjoyable in a way that listening to an mp3 on my phone isn't.

That said, get into vinyl because you want to go down the rabbit hole...not because of LT6/7.
    wmg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2020, 03:13 PM   #66
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wmg21 View Post
    For me, vinyl was an excuse to upgrade my overall listening experience. Sure, I don't always consume music this way, but it's fun and enjoyable in a way that listening to an mp3 on my phone isn't.
    It forces me to engage with the listening experience in a way that makes it feel like I'm there for the music

I think that's partly my own behavior, but also partly forced on you by the physical limitations of the format. At some point, you have to get up and flip the record over and you just don't need to even think about that with streaming or mp3s

Also, big art! And I love to geek out on liner notes, lyrics, production credits, etc., while I sit and listen
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2020, 03:15 PM   #67
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

So looking at LT7 tracklist, they again failed to fix the segue?? Grateful for this on vinyl but fuck man
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2020, 03:21 PM   #68
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

Picked up LT 6! I know its not the most popular release around here but its the one that actually made me a hardcore fan. I remember it was on sale on iTunes back in the day for like 9.99... I wasn't really a big fan at the time (just liked the radio hits) but I couldn't pass up that deal. The rest is history.

Has some amazing versions of songs too like DDTW, Bartender, Idea of You, Everyday... prob the best versions of Louisiana Bayou and Break Free that I've ever heard too.

Also, I also got a CD of LT7 in my cart for free automatically
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2020, 03:21 PM   #69
    ISawTheBridge10

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
    It forces me to engage with the listening experience in a way that makes it feel like I'm there for the music

I think that's partly my own behavior, but also partly forced on you by the physical limitations of the format. At some point, you have to get up and flip the record over and you just don't need to even think about that with streaming or mp3s

Also, big art! And I love to geek out on liner notes, lyrics, production credits, etc., while I sit and listen
    I also have a rule that anything, say, pre 1985 or so needs to be original press. It may be a little more expensive, but my copy of Sgt Peppers still had the cardboard mustache and badge cutouts. Things like that, paired with the fact that the sleeves smell like what I imagine Mick Fleetwood smells like, just adds to the product.
    ISawTheBridge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2020, 05:16 PM   #70
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I had a gf who had a vinyl player and it wasn't any drastically different or better.
    There's too many variables to use that as a gauge on the possibility of sound quality on vinyl. Turntables vary a TON in sound reproduction quality, speakers, etc; and mastering/pressing quality (on top of source recording and mix quality) matter a ton.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eggsrsweet View Post
    Picked up LT 6! I know its not the most popular release around here but its the one that actually made me a hardcore fan.
    I'm right there with you in that. I know it isn't widely loved or well regarded, but it made me a big time fan.

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2020, 06:58 PM   #71
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    There's too many variables to use that as a gauge on the possibility of sound quality on vinyl. Turntables vary a TON in sound reproduction quality, speakers, etc; and mastering/pressing quality (on top of source recording and mix quality) matter a ton

I mean I understand there is a big draw to it for a lot of people and it's your thing which is cool, I'm obsessed with music and could probably really get into it, just haven't quite had that "holy shit vinyl is incredible" moment. It's not that I think it's bad, it's more that I get full enjoyment out of how I listen to music and getting into the vinyl world would get expensive.
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2020, 07:26 PM   #72
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I mean I understand there is a big draw to it for a lot of people and it's your thing which is cool, I'm obsessed with music and could probably really get into it, just haven't quite had that "holy shit vinyl is incredible" moment. It's not that I think it's bad, it's more that I get full enjoyment out of how I listen to music and getting into the vinyl world would get expensive.
    To the first bold, you just need to hear a well mastered record on a solid setup! I've had quite a few "holy shit", jaw dropping sound moments from vinyl (and many from digital/CD/SACD/Bluray Audio). I think doby's said it before, and others have echoed the sentiment, but it's best to be format agnostic. Sometimes vinyl is the best sounding option, sometimes it's a physical optical disc, sometimes it's a flac file. All can sound wonderful when done right.

To the second bold - absolutely no doubt, audiophilia is a damn expensive hobby and is a deep rabbit hole to fall into

Old 11-30-2020, 10:10 PM   #73
    snake911

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mthawk07 View Post
    Have they typically remixed/remastered these LT vinyl releases, or have they just pressed the existing release as is? Would love it if they could somehow turn up the volume on Paul’s soprano parts.
    There has been some remastering work done, LT 3 sounds a fair bit better on vinyl with some of the mastering touch ups they did. But no, nothing has been remixed and thats what it would take to fix a low instrument volume issue. Remixing is incredibly time consuming and expensive and is rarely done.
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-01-2020, 04:33 AM   #74
    DMBlunts

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Woke up this morning and thought "Haven't checked Ants over the Thanksgiving weekend...better see if any holiday vinyl news dropped..." AND BANG. Ordered immediately, listened to LT. 7 in full on my drive back to WV and it's such a great release. Haven't listened to LT. 6 in years but I know it might have the best DDTW, that swamp intro or whatev is awesome.
    #22 in 2021.
    DMBlunts is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-01-2020, 05:14 AM   #75
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

119 copies of LT6 left, 213 copies of LT7 left; as of 8:15am today

Old 12-01-2020, 05:17 AM   #76
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I imagine this must be a function of more of LT7 being produced
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-01-2020, 05:17 AM   #77
    but1well
    love baby

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Logically there have to be less LT6 pressed. A higher price point and a less heralded show.
    This is literally the opposite of communism. Now, if they came out and cancelled all seats and said you are all to sit on the lawn, as peasant equals, you'd have an argument.
    but1well is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-01-2020, 05:27 AM   #78
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    I imagine this must be a function of more of LT7 being produced
    Maybe 1K of LT6, 1.5K of LT7? Any higher on either, and I'll assume there won't be a black vinyl release for a bit.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:07 AM   #79
    haiku.warrior
    the slow hand quickens

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

The fact that these are shipping out in 2 weeks is insane. Can't wait
    I showed my therapist a Rashawn solo and she said his screeching high notes are his little way of getting attention and may be compensating for other shortcomings, such as lack of taste.
    haiku.warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-01-2020, 06:29 AM   #80
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by haiku.warrior View Post
    The fact that these are shipping out in 2 weeks is insane. Can't wait
    This really makes me think they were intended for RSDBF but failed to make the cut in time.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-01-2020, 06:35 AM   #81
    firedancer34

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    This really makes me think they were intended for RSDBF but failed to make the cut in time.
    and being colored variants. this must be the case.
    firedancer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-01-2020, 06:49 AM   #82
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Maybe, but could also be that they didn't feel the need to play the RSD game this year (after not having LT35 make it for the original RSD/any of the drops). Given the unusual circumstances of this year's RSD events, I wouldn't be surprised if they figured they were better off handling the retail.

Could also be an RLM move away from RSD? No Phish titles for this year's RSDs either.

Should note that Hollywood Bowl and LT35 were both originally supposed to be RSD, and both were pulled. Is that a production delay issue, or was it purposeful?

Old 12-01-2020, 07:11 AM   #83
    pensfan71

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Maybe, but could also be that they didn't feel the need to play the RSD game this year (after not having LT35 make it for the original RSD/any of the drops). Given the unusual circumstances of this year's RSD events, I wouldn't be surprised if they figured they were better off handling the retail.

Could also be an RLM move away from RSD? No Phish titles for this year's RSDs either.

Should note that Hollywood Bowl and LT35 were both originally supposed to be RSD, and both were pulled. Is that a production delay issue, or was it purposeful?
    Let’s hope that it was on purpose.
    pensfan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-01-2020, 07:54 AM   #84
    vaxarado

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Honestly, it makes all the sense in the world to continue doing these releases this way.

It won't entirely do away with scalping of them but this way it's a bit more of an even opportunity and gives fans of the band a legit shot at getting them. Put them in the Warehouse for first crack and then open it up to the general public. That way you don't have to deal with some stores getting 40 of them and others getting 2 and hoping that your local store is the former.
    Old 12-01-2020, 07:58 AM   #85
    djamieb

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rnk13 View Post
    Love that this opens the door for LT8 getting a vinyl release. That one is in my top 5.
    100% this. That's honestly the most exciting part about this for me. I thought LT6 being a double album meant it would likely never be released on vinyl. I figured that hurdle greatly reduced the chances of them working their way through the LT in order and that we wouldn't get as far as LT8 on vinyl, so the idea of that now being possible is awesome! LT8 is still one of the best things this band has ever put out.
    Old 12-01-2020, 08:37 AM   #86
    djamieb

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

I pre-ordered LT7.

So cool that they dropped both of these, though. Great move! And just to reiterate my post from above, I love the implications of releasing these; CAN'T WAIT FOR LT8! Hope that comes next year!!!
    Old 12-01-2020, 09:03 AM   #87
    DEMITRI

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Jesus I almost missed this, I never got an email either!

But just bought both.... really pumped for live trax 7.

Do we know how many of these were made?
    DEMITRI is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-01-2020, 09:56 AM   #88
    birdsfan09
    O's/Ravens/Caps/Terps

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Any thoughts as to why they took a break for a while after LT5, went to LT35, and now return to 6 and 7? Seems kind of disjointed and 35 is a random show to jump too. Not complaining at all, just curious as to why they did it this way.
    birdsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-01-2020, 10:54 AM   #89
    DEMITRI

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by birdsfan09 View Post
    Any thoughts as to why they took a break for a while after LT5, went to LT35, and now return to 6 and 7? Seems kind of disjointed and 35 is a random show to jump too. Not complaining at all, just curious as to why they did it this way.
    Yeah this makes no sense whatsoever lol I’m also not complaining cuz live trax 35 is actually great but would love to know the reasoning behind releasing it out of order on vinyl (unless they continue just randomly releasing the rest of the catalog periodically)
    DEMITRI is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-01-2020, 11:20 AM   #90
    bballman720

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Just checked and it looks like both Live Trax have around 60 left in stock. Order it if you haven't already.
    bballman720 is offline   Reply With Quote