***Official Chicago 2022 Thread*** - Page 8 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 11-16-2022, 01:14 PM   #211
j-ram

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Chicago 2022 Thread***

I'd put last night in my bottom three for sure (first show was Soldier Field in 2000), slightly better than 2012 United Center. Drove to Omaha this past weekend (hoping for that Minneapolis set) and while not an awesome show, the energy, setlist and song placement was 100% better.

Last night was the first time I found myself sitting and really questioning Dave's setlist. Not sure why Chicago continues to get blah shows. Major city with a sold out arena and the band gave very little for the crowd to build off of. The Proudest Monkey into Satellite was particularly brutal and left me shaking my head. Yes, I'm happy I got to see the band on a Tuesday in my hometown but that show was a let down for sure.
j-ram is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-16-2022, 03:16 PM   #212
    JimmyGBuckets

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by handal View Post
    I have seen this band upwards of 50 times, the great majority of them stellar times. I love live music, it’s a wonderfully communal experience, except when the band chooses to play songs that leave most of the crowd wondering what they’re playing, and then chatting about it, and not dancing or vibing in any way for any period of time beyond a song here and there. Song choice and placement were overall poor last night.
    Is this really the complaint? I’m seeing people here complain that they played Jimi Thing, YMDT, FTWII, Why I am, DDTW. But those are the most popular songs that people come to hear.

I think the reality is the band has 30 years of material to choose from. They have to balance getting in their radio hits (see the list above) and deep cuts that fans want to hear (but will still inevitably find a way to complain about, see BOWA, TSTJL). It’s tough.

I thought it was a fun show.

I think the bigger issue was the sound quality was awful and the pit was lame as hell. The pit was literally lined up and static the entire time. And I’m assuming people like me couldn’t get into the show as much because it sounded awful. I was also sitting in the cheap seats though so assumed that the bad sound quality was just based on my seat choice.
    JimmyGBuckets is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2022, 03:20 PM   #213
    JimmyGBuckets

Shows Seen: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    A few thoughts:
    The bathroom was all laughing at how dumb it was to follow BOWA with The Ocean and the Butterfly.

Last, the pit fucking sucks.
    The bathroom trends were hysterical. I was part of the mass exodus that beelined as soon as we heard Ocean and the Butterfly. Also happened again at Come Tomorrow. That really did kill the vibe in the middle of the set.

Also agreed, the pit sucks. Looked like people were standing for a book reading. Incredibly lame.
    JimmyGBuckets is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2022, 05:08 PM   #214
    So Ya Dig DMB?
    I need a DMB IV.. STAT!

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

***Official Chicago 2022 Thread***

Yikes. It sounds like I didn’t miss much!

Originally from Chicago but I’m in town from Grand Rapids and staying on the Mag Mile but still couldn’t pull the trigger on the show.

With that said, I know the United Center is terrible for these kind of shows. The UC does not do the bands acoustics and justice. I wish they’d look at Allstate for the better acoustics and smaller venue feel. But as someone else mentioned, a smaller intimate show is a special occasion (and not typically the full band).

I suppose I stand by my soured opinion of the UC acoustics.

The other question I pose- would it be better if they toured less? Play those gems/hits like the artists who really only tour ever few years.

How do we as a fan base get our wishes known? Collectively stop going to shows.
    Old 11-16-2022, 05:12 PM   #215
    handal
    Milwaukee, WI

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimmyGBuckets View Post
    Is this really the complaint? I’m seeing people here complain that they played Jimi Thing, YMDT, FTWII, Why I am, DDTW. But those are the most popular songs that people come to hear.

I think the reality is the band has 30 years of material to choose from. They have to balance getting in their radio hits (see the list above) and deep cuts that fans want to hear (but will still inevitably find a way to complain about, see BOWA, TSTJL). It’s tough.

I think the bigger issue was the sound quality was awful and the pit was lame as hell. The pit was literally lined up and static the entire time. And I’m assuming people like me couldn’t get into the show as much because it sounded awful. I was also sitting in the cheap seats though so assumed that the bad sound quality was just based on my seat choice.
    That is my complaint, yes, and because of that, it wasn’t a particularly fun show. Crowd was dead all night. The pit barely moved
    handal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2022, 06:37 PM   #216
    prokid123

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimmyGBuckets View Post

By what objective measure are those their most popular songs? I wouldn't even think YMDT, WIA and FTWII crack the top 20 most popular songs among 'casuals.' Objectively, by Spotify plays, their most popular (and commercialized) song is Crash into Me. They hardly ever play that.
    prokid123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2022, 07:14 PM   #217
    nsturcotte
    nattalee

Shows Seen: 79

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Pit was not engaged because the show was meh. I barely found myself dancing or really getting “into it”. Most of those people have probably been to several shows and feeling the same. Pit needs to go and have more access to tickets in front….for the WH not Ticketmaster. I haven’t gotten tickets from WH in more than 10 years but still have membership. Dumb. I’m tired of them pawning the shit tickets to members and then being left scrambling if I can’t sell and double paying for tickets. There’s no way that was a true “sell out”. I picked up my pit on TM at 5:50pm and there were several tickets still available.

Someone once told me when you don’t like the song choice, focus on the musicians. That’s what I did. I enjoyed the interaction between the guys, stage cues, recognizing people from past shows…looking at the lights and video production. When guest trumpet player’s mic went out, Jeff noticed right away and after his spot he turned his mic to trumpet every time.

Drums were bouncing heavy off surroundings….it didn’t sound good. I was pit center towards the back.

Enjoyed it for what it was, being a Tuesday show in “hometown” but Dave plays what he wants. Last GREAT Chicago shows were caravan era and I’ve been to all since then.
    nsturcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2022, 06:09 AM   #218
    jarguitar86
    Content and Dreaming

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I agree with the crowd being lack luster. I was literally the only person dancing in my section and it made me feel weird... f**k em. I danced anyway. I was in Omaha and there just seem to be SO many repeats this little tour. Also, does anyone actually cheer when they play Bayou? The only time I left my seat all night. Grace is Gone, Fool in the Rain, Jimi Thing, If Only, VITR, OATB were all stellar though. Shows are what we all make them, in the end, and I'm glad I was able to erase the memories of 2012 and hear some cool jams. :thu,bsup
    Old 11-17-2022, 06:43 AM   #219
    ESM21
    Big as a Beach Ball

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by So Ya Dig DMB? View Post
    Yikes. It sounds like I didn’t miss much!

Originally from Chicago but I’m in town from Grand Rapids and staying on the Mag Mile but still couldn’t pull the trigger on the show.

With that said, I know the United Center is terrible for these kind of shows. The UC does not do the bands acoustics and justice. I wish they’d look at Allstate for the better acoustics and smaller venue feel. But as someone else mentioned, a smaller intimate show is a special occasion (and not typically the full band).

I suppose I stand by my soured opinion of the UC acoustics.

The other question I pose- would it be better if they toured less? Play those gems/hits like the artists who really only tour ever few years.

How do we as a fan base get our wishes known? Collectively stop going to shows.
    Or, just individually stop going. Geez. What's the point if you're not even having fun? I had an amazing time at UC in the pit...because I chose to. Stop looking to the band to placate your own childish demands. Stop chasing songs and dream sets. Start being thankful you're alive, the band is touring, the boys' individual levels of commitment are unquestionable, the music is really f*cking good, and you've got 2+ hours away from the (BS of the) world. Stop bringing negativity and stop making demands over which you rightfully have no control. Buy the ticket, dance your ass off, smile at life, appreciate 25+ years of DMB, or DON'T. This band sold out a 23k fan venue; they're doing something right. If you don't want a ticket, someone else does. Thanks.

Last edited by ESM21; 11-17-2022 at 06:46 AM.
    ESM21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2022, 06:51 AM   #220
    zaj128
    The King In The North

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

FWIW I would definitely take the UC show over Dayton. Holy hell.

Twitter/IG:
    @Zaj128
    zaj128 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2022, 07:00 AM   #221
    So Ya Dig DMB?
    I need a DMB IV.. STAT!

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ESM21 View Post
    Or, just individually stop going. Geez. What's the point if you're not even having fun? I had an amazing time at UC in the pit...because I chose to. Stop looking to the band to placate your own childish demands. Stop chasing songs and dream sets. Start being thankful you're alive, the band is touring, the boys' individual levels of commitment are unquestionable, the music is really f*cking good, and you've got 2+ hours away from the (BS of the) world. Stop bringing negativity and stop making demands over which you rightfully have no control. Buy the ticket, dance your ass off, smile at life, appreciate 25+ years of DMB, or DON'T. This band sold out a 23k fan venue; they're doing something right. If you don't want a ticket, someone else does. Thanks.

Easy there. Unwad your panties.

If you’d reread my post. I didn’t go. I don’t enjoy shows at the UC. I didn’t complain about the set, the band, the vibe of the crowd.

I was just simply asking a question. Your response is mental. Be kind dude.
    Old 11-17-2022, 07:06 AM   #222
    ESM21
    Big as a Beach Ball

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by So Ya Dig DMB? View Post
    Easy there. Unwad your panties.

If you’d reread my post. I didn’t go. I don’t enjoy shows at the UC. I didn’t complain about the set, the band, the vibe of the crowd.

I was just simply asking a question. Your response is mental. Be kind dude.
    Just so sick of the negativity. When you're mentioning things like collective boycott, that seems a little beyond...

Sorry if my response seems over the top, but the pervasive dissatisfaction that seems to follow every show on these boards is quite toxic. More like antsbitching.org.
    Old 11-17-2022, 07:15 AM   #223
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

The hell is going on in this thread
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2022, 07:18 AM   #224
    Rhino27

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

No tapers at this show?
    Rhino27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2022, 07:25 AM   #225
    ESM21
    Big as a Beach Ball

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    The hell is going on in this thread
    Negativity --> Positivity

Hello, moon. Hello, stars in the sky.
    Old 11-17-2022, 07:26 AM   #226
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Negativity --> Positivity

Hello, moon. Hello, stars in the sky.

The tour has been horrendous and paying customers are looking for more, not seeing the issue here
    Old 11-17-2022, 07:30 AM   #227
    ESM21
    Big as a Beach Ball

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The tour has been horrendous and paying customers are looking for more, not seeing the issue here
    Horrendous...LOLOLOLOLOLOL
    Old 11-17-2022, 07:32 AM   #228
    RunawayTwoStep

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Horrendous...LOLOLOLOLOLOL
    It really has been though.
    RunawayTwoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2022, 07:33 AM   #229
    ESM21
    Big as a Beach Ball

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RunawayTwoStep View Post
    It really has been though.
    Through a madman's eyes...
    Old 11-17-2022, 07:34 AM   #230
    RunawayTwoStep

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Through a madman's eyes...
    Just calling it as it is. This is reality bud.
    Old 11-17-2022, 07:36 AM   #231
    ESM21
    Big as a Beach Ball

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just calling it as it is. This is reality bud.
    Perception is reality. And yours isn't mine. Hope you all can find the joy again.
    Old 11-17-2022, 07:38 AM   #232
    RunawayTwoStep

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Perception is reality. And yours isn't mine. Hope you all can find the joy again.
    Better setlists would bring the joy again, but yet, here we are. Let the ballwashing continue.

Last edited by RunawayTwoStep; 11-17-2022 at 07:39 AM. Reason: ..
    Old 11-17-2022, 07:46 AM   #233
    ESM21
    Big as a Beach Ball

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Better setlists would bring the joy again, but yet, here we are. Let the ballwashing continue.
    This isn't meant to sound preachy...

I had a moment on the summer tour last year where I came out of a show cursing the setlist. A good friend ripped me to shreds for my pessimistic entitlement. Through that, I had an important epiphany/reminder (applicable to DMB and a lot in life) to stop chasing that which I can't control and to think about what I can...my own enjoyment, expectations, happiness. That's made a world of difference with going to shows. It's a big catalog, and the boys deserve to feel the joy through what they want to play that can allow them to transmit that joy to the audience. The audience has to be willing receptors. Jeff's FB is a testament to how much joy this band is feeling right now; a shame some of the fans are stuck in to demanding only classics - [y'all] want too much...TOO MUCH!
    Old 11-17-2022, 07:48 AM   #234
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I had a moment on the summer tour last year where I came out of a show cursing the setlist. A good friend ripped me to shreds for my pessimistic entitlement. Through that, I had an important epiphany/reminder (applicable to DMB and a lot in life) to stop chasing that which I can't control and to think about what I can...my own enjoyment, expectations, happiness. That's made a world of difference with going to shows. It's a big catalog, and the boys deserve to feel the joy through what they want to play that can allow them to transmit that joy to the audience. The audience has to be willing receptors. Jeff's FB is a testament to how much joy this band is feeling right now; a shame some of the fans are stuck in to demanding only classics - [y'all] want too much...TOO MUCH!

What is your least favorite DMB song?
    Old 11-17-2022, 07:53 AM   #235
    ESM21
    Big as a Beach Ball

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    What is your least favorite DMB song?
    Hands down Can't Stop. "Free the Beast Inside of Me" is a line I hope to never hear again...but I can't control that. Fortunately, I usually need to use the bathroom or get a beverage sometimes.

That Girl is You is a close second...got that for my summer tour opener in Mansfield...still wasn't "angry."
    Old 11-17-2022, 07:57 AM   #236
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hands down Can't Stop. "Free the Beast Inside of Me" is a line I hope to never hear again...but I can't control that. Fortunately, I usually need to use the bathroom or get a beverage sometimes.

That Girl is You is a close second...got that for my summer tour opener in Mansfield...still wasn't "angry."

Do you feel the joy being transmitted to you from the band as they play music you don't like and use as a bathroom break? Would you prefer they play with the same joy and transmit songs you love?
    Old 11-17-2022, 07:59 AM   #237
    ESM21
    Big as a Beach Ball

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Do you feel the joy being transmitted to you from the band as they play music you don't like and use as a bathroom break? Would you prefer they play with the same joy and transmit songs you love?
    With 20 or more songs, I'm good with a few incredibles, a bunch of really goods, a handful of "I can deal and dance with that," and the inevitable 2-4 stinkers.

I find the stinkers allow me to take a break, take a breath, or just focus more on gawking at how good each of these guys is at what they do.

Last edited by ESM21; 11-17-2022 at 08:01 AM.
    Old 11-17-2022, 08:04 AM   #238
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    With 20 or more songs, I'm good with a few incredibles, a bunch of really goods, a handful of "I can deal and dance with that," and the inevitable 2-4 stinkers.

I find the stinkers allow me to take a break, take a breath, or just focus more on gawking at how good each of these guys is at what they do.

Would shows be better if half the time it wasn't a mix of "I can deal and dance with that" and stinkers?
    Old 11-17-2022, 08:07 AM   #239
    RunawayTwoStep

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

This exact sentiment is shared here pretty much when any criticism pops up, and my question in response is this: has the bar really been set that low?

If it’s a “big catalog”, why are the same 40ish songs in constant rotation every show?

Nobody is demanding only the classics, even getting just a few could make every set every night at least average. With this tour, you’re not getting that whatsoever.
    Old 11-17-2022, 08:10 AM   #240
    ESM21
    Big as a Beach Ball

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Would shows be better if half the time it wasn't a mix of "I can deal and dance with that" and stinkers?
    Guess I just don't think that hard about what I can't control. If I'm dancing, they're doing something to me that's right.

Not everything has to be the best ever thing to be a good thing. Not every moment has to be the best possible moment to be a worthy moment.