***Official MSG 2022 Thread*** - Page 40 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 11-19-2022, 08:39 PM   #1171
joshizzle3
dj general

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official MSG 2022 Thread***

What a night and day difference from last night… if anything it made last night even worse because it’s clear they can still string together an incredible vintage show. First things first on a personal level it was so special not only to get #41 at my 41st but right away in the 2 spot. Pretty boring Tim solo but who cares. Would kinda love Tim to stop soloing at DMB shows but maybe that’s a hot take. Loved the emphasis on the big 3 after a pretty disastrous night of… not that. They seemed way more in sync with one another and at least from the pit the sound seemed evened out. Even songs that I usually wouldn’t be into were on another level tonight with some awesome guests on horns and guitar… by far best SMLAM I’ve ever heard, really dug dude on cornbread, and again the horns on SAWG. Warehouse two step to close it out, with Carter on another level what more could I ask for… this band really still has got it, when they want to. One of the most exciting and interesting shows I’ve seen in a while
joshizzle3 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-19-2022, 08:43 PM   #1172
    StevieK

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

. Where all the crying dorks???
    StevieK is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-19-2022, 08:58 PM   #1173
    kenticus

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hojobones View Post
    Have they slowed the tempo in 41? Or am I overthinking it
    https://youtu.be/WjZooKVFQPQ
    I dunno if it’s slower but feels slower because Tim’s solo never really crescendos….so it kind of just rolls out. I’m not always a fan of ending jams on noise feeds, but some change in dynamics certainly helps..
    kenticus is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-19-2022, 08:58 PM   #1174
    Thirtyfouroi

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshizzle3 View Post
    What a night and day difference from last night… if anything it made last night even worse because it’s clear they can still string together an incredible vintage show. First things first on a personal level it was so special not only to get #41 at my 41st but right away in the 2 spot. Pretty boring Tim solo but who cares. Would kinda love Tim to stop soloing at DMB shows but maybe that’s a hot take. Loved the emphasis on the big 3 after a pretty disastrous night of… not that. They seemed way more in sync with one another and at least from the pit the sound seemed evened out. Even songs that I usually wouldn’t be into were on another level tonight with some awesome guests on horns and guitar… by far best SMLAM I’ve ever heard, really dug dude on cornbread, and again the horns on SAWG. Warehouse two step to close it out, with Carter on another level what more could I ask for… this band really still has got it, when they want to. One of the most exciting and interesting shows I’ve seen in a while

Tim's solo - " Sojourn of Arjuna interpolation"
    Thirtyfouroi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-19-2022, 09:01 PM   #1175
    Thirtyfouroi

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hojobones View Post
    Have they slowed the tempo in 41? Or am I overthinking it
    https://youtu.be/WjZooKVFQPQ
    Anything that is slowed down is a huge positive because over the last 12 years every single song has sped up. Some
    More than others, and 41 was never in that frame of thought, but even if 41 was slowed down, it's closer to its origin.
    Edit; after listening, sounds great. Maybe have been slowed down a heart beat. But nothing substantial. Thanks for sharing! Nice video.

Last edited by Thirtyfouroi; 11-19-2022 at 09:04 PM.
    Thirtyfouroi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-19-2022, 09:14 PM   #1176
    tj_desantis

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Here are clips with the SNL band horns…

SLAM: https://youtu.be/-bdK1NcN-KQ
    Jimi: https://youtu.be/3gtUYNqMKcM
    tj_desantis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-19-2022, 09:24 PM   #1177
    joshizzle3
    dj general

Shows Seen: 40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thirtyfouroi View Post
    Tim's solo - " Sojourn of Arjuna interpolation"
    It did not sound good. Would've loved to hear Jeff do it
    joshizzle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-19-2022, 09:26 PM   #1178
    BTCS_JTR
    The Wilpon's are gone!

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshizzle3 View Post
    It did not sound good. Would've loved to hear Jeff do it

Him and Rashawn were. Tim was mixed louder
    Old 11-19-2022, 10:07 PM   #1179
    Ja miie 26x

My Tour Central Stats

Wow the boys were on fire tonight. Definitely a vintage setlis, very pleased. BOWA was great, haven't heard it in awhile. The SNL horns was amazing, very fitting guests for the city. I like that they are using the ceiling lights more and more each year! I always love the energy at MSG. I'm ready for the summer!
    Ja miie 26x is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2022, 12:31 AM   #1180
    kpx2200

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpx2200 View Post
    Hmmm, darn. That is a little surprising. I wonder why.

It seems like that would help with the vibe/engagement of the crowd in the back and sides as well since you have a better idea of what's going on on stage. And for the casual fans, like who I'm going with, you can pair the visuals with the sound to better hear the lyrics to songs they might not have heard before.

They had them in 2018 and it was fantastic with the screens and the sound was excellent. Section 207 felt sort of like a private box so I chose one of those again for this year. With no supplemental screens though I'm hoping they fully utilize the main stage screens with actual performance visuals so it doesn't seem a mile away.

I hope they get the sound fixed at least. I'm actually more concerned about that and the screens than the band performance this show. Mad props to the crew for checking in here and trying to tweak things though.
    I take it all back. My god! Fantastic show and great sound!
    kpx2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2022, 02:28 AM   #1181
    kazman101
    Fan Archivist

Shows Seen: 111

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

AKG Tapes from N2:

16 Bit: https://dreamingtree.org/torrents.php?id=4618
    24 Bit: https://dreamingtree.org/torrents.php?id=4619
    kazman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2022, 05:26 AM   #1182
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kazman101 View Post
    Thanks Zach. Incredibly fast. Great job as usual. I ended up in A and I thought that the sound was good
    Old 11-20-2022, 05:34 AM   #1183
    JTR178
    I checked the box!

Shows Seen: 111

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Last night was show 108. I have a waning interest in this band that would be completely gone if it was not for the amount of time and money spent on attending shows. As a matter of fact, the only reason I went last night was because my 10 year old niece wanted to go. It was a last minute type thing.

But Damn!! Fantastic show from start to finish. I have lowered my expectations over the years to no expectation and somehow this show finds a way to absolutely surprise me in the best way possible.

7.6 out of 10. I’d do it again.
    JTR178 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2022, 06:07 AM   #1184
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Last night was great, loved the venue, crowd, show, slices, driving in NYC can go F itself but aside from that having a great weekend!
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2022, 06:37 AM   #1185
    BOTRNewmusic

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Great show.
    Sad the band only pulls out shows like this in spac, gorge or msg (alpine too?)
    Anyway n1 was why i stopped seeing this band
    N2 is why we continue
    Overall, liked msg more as a whole last year
    And timmy needs to go
    His solos in 41 and Crush were like me in 7th grade
    12/15/95, 6/9/96, 10/4/96, 12/30/96, 6/10/97, 6/11/97, 5/29/98, 6/7/98, 7/31/98, 8/1/98, 11/21/98, 12/2/98, 12/3/98, 12/5/98, 5/20-21-22/99, 5/25/99, 5/26/99, 8/3/99, 8/4/99, 8/6-7-8/99, 7/12/00, 12/5/00, 4/21/01, 5/26-27/01, 6/11-12-13/01, 4/5/02, 9/6/03, 9/24/03, 7/21/04, 10/1/04, 5/9/05, 6/18/05, 7/30-31/05, 12/9/05, 12/10/05, 6/16/06, 6/27-28/06, 7/28-29/06, 8/5-6/06, 7/7/07, 8/1/07, 8/4/07
    BOTRNewmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2022, 06:58 AM   #1186
    RunawayTwoStep

Shows Seen: 24

My Tour Central Stats

N2 was one of the better shows I’ve been to recently. +13 for me. For all the “why do you still go then?” arguments on here, N2 is why. Dave clearly has an idea of what works and what doesn’t in the live setting, even if he does want to sprinkle in his duds that he must love to keep playing. Beyond Jimi Thing, the guests didn’t really add much to the songs they were helping out on.

Venue was great, seats for both nights were great, would most definitely make the trip for another MSG 2 nighter again.
    RunawayTwoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2022, 07:08 AM   #1187
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

My favorite guest spot was actually SAWG, would prefer a different song played but really liked what was added there
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2022, 07:10 AM   #1188
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BOTRNewmusic View Post
    Great show.
    Sad the band only pulls out shows like this in spac, gorge or msg (alpine too?)
    Anyway n1 was why i stopped seeing this band
    N2 is why we continue
    Overall, liked msg more as a whole last year
    And timmy needs to go
    His solos in 41 and Crush were like me in 7th grade

I have to admit that this Timmy has nothing to do with the Timmy of 98.
    I don’t understand any on the weird choices that he makes when choosing a solo, and you’re right, the stuff he plays on #41 is not good. Only time I liked him last night was when he was dueling (shortly) with Buddy.
    Imo performances were overall good both nights. First 10 songs of N1 were meh in terms of choices, but they played great every single note of the two nights.
    Carter is in great shape and rocks as usual. Buddy does his own stuff and was a little bit on the side compared to last summer.
    Jeff was very much in a corner. And this is no good. The horns spots at the end of two night were great (4 additional horns in Jimi made their own show); but I miss so much the Flecktone Jeff who was capable of amazing, neverending solos.
    Today’s sound is very energetic and organized, even the jam are quite studied at their own spots, and people of NY really seem to still love this band, almost 20 years after the historical Central Park show. But this band is not the same as Central Park. It is another thing, just like everything. They still give emotions to me, but is it is just another kind of show.
    Dave’s speaking was minimal both nights, and they rarely (or never) gave high-fives with Carter. I was happy to hear You Never Know (N1) and Pay for What You Get (N2). I have missed Dreamjng Tree and Nancies, which in my opinion are some of the best old songs that they still play. Two Step is my favorite DMB tune, but I don’t get crazy about the way is played today. I’d say that the only unforgettable performances were the guests spots, which were many, and all extremely good. That only was worth the whole trip and experience.
    Old 11-20-2022, 08:02 AM   #1189
    BTCS_JTR
    The Wilpon's are gone!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    My favorite guest spot was actually SAWG, would prefer a different song played but really liked what was added there
    It was really good. The audible awh from the crowd when it started playing

I've always liked the song, and it was my first time hearing it live, so I'm glad they played it
    Old 11-20-2022, 08:06 AM   #1190
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTCS_JTR View Post
    It was really good. The audible awh from the crowd when it started playing

I've always liked the song, and it was my first time hearing it live, so I'm glad they played it

I think one of the yawning was mine. Still a good version though
    Old 11-20-2022, 08:07 AM   #1191
    Titotimmy
    Lillywhite's Tapeworm

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    I have to admit that this Timmy has nothing to do with the Timmy of 98.
    I don’t understand any on the weird choices that he makes when choosing a solo, and you’re right, the stuff he plays on #41 is not good. Only time I liked him last night was when he was dueling (shortly) with Buddy.
    Imo performances were overall good both nights. First 10 songs of N1 were meh in terms of choices, but they played great every single note of the two nights.
    Carter is in great shape and rocks as usual. Buddy does his own stuff and was a little bit on the side compared to last summer.
    Jeff was very much in a corner. And this is no good. The horns spots at the end of two night were great (4 additional horns in Jimi made their own show); but I miss so much the Flecktone Jeff who was capable of amazing, neverending solos.
    Today’s sound is very energetic and organized, even the jam are quite studied at their own spots, and people of NY really seem to still love this band, almost 20 years after the historical Central Park show. But this band is not the same as Central Park. It is another thing, just like everything. They still give emotions to me, but is it is just another kind of show.
    Dave’s speaking was minimal both nights, and they rarely (or never) gave high-fives with Carter. I was happy to hear You Never Know (N1) and Pay for What You Get (N2). I have missed Dreamjng Tree and Nancies, which in my opinion are some of the best old songs that they still play. Two Step is my favorite DMB tune, but I don’t get crazy about the way is played today. I’d say that the only unforgettable performances were the guests spots, which were many, and all extremely good. That only was worth the whole trip and experience.

Agree with a lot of this. I hate how the band insists on grinding songs (#41 and Two Step) to a halt so Tim can crawl around at an attempt to solo. Hyperbole but the point stands I think his solos were both net negatives on both songs which otherwise were great performances.

The only thing I disagree with is the guest spots being unforgettable, the only one I really enjoyed was LIOG N1. When the drop D came out I groaned knowing it was gonna be Shake Me and Jimi Thing just felt like I was waiting for it to be over the whole time as usual.

The highlight for me was last nights opening run, when Dave threw Pig in the Middle of #41 and triplets I said to my father and gf “holy shit he’s gonna play a ‘fuck you’ show tonight, buckle in.” He came back down to earth but that was about as good as a run gets these days.

R.I.P. Last Stop 4/8/1998 - 9/1/2018
    Titotimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2022, 08:16 AM   #1192
    BTCS_JTR
    The Wilpon's are gone!

My Tour Central Stats

I’ve never had a wow moment with Tim in DMB 3.0 and on. Dave and Tim, oh yeah, big time, but he just doesn’t add anything that I feel makes any songs better live with the band
    Old 11-20-2022, 08:20 AM   #1193
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

***Official MSG 2022 Thread***

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titotimmy View Post
    Agree with a lot of this. I hate how the band insists on grinding songs (#41 and Two Step) to a halt so Tim can crawl around at an attempt to solo. Hyperbole but the point stands I think his solos were both net negatives on both songs which otherwise were great performances.

The only thing I disagree with is the guest spots being unforgettable, the only one I really enjoyed was LIOG N1. When the drop D came out I groaned knowing it was gonna be Shake Me and Jimi Thing just felt like I was waiting for it to be over the whole time as usual.

The highlight for me was last nights opening run, when Dave threw Pig in the Middle of #41 and triplets I said to my father and gf “holy shit he’s gonna play a ‘fuck you’ show tonight, buckle in.” He came back down to earth but that was about as good as a run gets these days.

Ok you are right, I may have made a misuse of the proper term to express myself.
    When I said unforgettable, I meant that when I’ll look back at this show, in a few years, for sure I’ll remember Mark Whitfield (which was excellent), Louis Cato (which was different), and 12 people on stage for Jimi. The rest was really well played, but I’ll vanish with time in my memories.
    Old 11-20-2022, 08:28 AM   #1194
    Titotimmy
    Lillywhite's Tapeworm

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

All in all it was a great weekend, it’s not a trip you make strictly to seek out a legendary set anymore but being in the city for a weekend is a lot of fun. Great drinking city, great food city, being able to walk back to a hotel after a show is awesome, and what a great atmosphere; MSG is truly the king of arenas.

R.I.P. Last Stop 4/8/1998 - 9/1/2018
    Titotimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2022, 08:30 AM   #1195
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titotimmy View Post
    All in all it was a great weekend, it’s not a trip you make strictly to seek out a legendary set anymore but being in the city for a weekend is a lot of fun. Great drinking city, great food city, being able to walk back to a hotel after a show is awesome, and what a great atmosphere; MSG is truly the king of arenas.

and I totally agree with all of that
    Old 11-20-2022, 08:40 AM   #1196
    bdigital

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

The best way to look at this two night run is you basically had to go to both because night 1 made night 2 so much better. I remember leaving friday night and while disappointed you had to think no way he's going to give us that many duds (sorry, calling a spade a spade) in a row. I can only think of one better show I attending. Jazzfest 2019 before this covid madness....when Stones and Fleetwood Mac both cancelled.

Also, i somehow had an extra pit ticket friday which i put up 90 min before show and the dude who got it (James?) was so pumped he missed the first half hour of that show but ended up right up front via will call... except trying to leave MSG is truly awesome. not sure if anyone saw the impromptu jam by the subway outside MSG after show.... people were going nuts.
    bdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2022, 08:40 AM   #1197
    splack03

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

To nitpick, after PFWYG Dave said something like "It's always scary playing at MSG, this is the last stop of our tour". Probably inadvertent, but when half the pit is yelling for Halloween and Last Stop it was a bit of a gut punch.
    splack03 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2022, 09:40 AM   #1198
    Perch1019

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdigital View Post
    The best way to look at this two night run is you basically had to go to both because night 1 made night 2 so much better. I remember leaving friday night and while disappointed you had to think no way he's going to give us that many duds (sorry, calling a spade a spade) in a row. I can only think of one better show I attending. Jazzfest 2019 before this covid madness....when Stones and Fleetwood Mac both cancelled.

I left n1 really disappointed. Felt bad for my buddy who came who hasn't been to a show in 10 years, hasn't heard anything new and didn't know 3/4 of the songs. The text he sent me this morning when he saw the n2 set list was very angry.

I felt like last night if you were a new fan, an old fan, diehard or just a casual, you left happy. I've seen some posts about the middle dropping off but I enjoyed every part of the show. Once they got Shake Me out of the way, I felt better knowing it couldn't close and put a damper on a great show like Spac n2 '21. Hate it as a closer but mid set, it works. BoWA was a nice surprise and made up for it getting cut (for an awesome reason) n2 of WPB.

Even though we live in westchester, stayed in the city last night and someone else said it, it's so nice to be able to walk from the garden to a hotel. Such a great night. Can't wait til the spring/summer
    Perch1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2022, 11:18 AM   #1199
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

This picture from N1 though...:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fh8QMmmW...jpg&name=large
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2022, 11:46 AM   #1200
    pzamps210

Shows Seen: 43

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

On the Tim discussion. His phrasing has always sucked in my opinion. His solos are glorified noodling with no story to be told. It’s pretty telling when basically every guitar guest that comes on plays a more pleasing and inspired solo than he would. Case in point is Derek Trucks from Jacksonville. Now granted he’s arguably the most talented electric guitar player in the world right now but still the difference between his sound and Tim’s these days is striking
    pzamps210 is offline   Reply With Quote