***Official MSG 2022 Thread*** - Page 42 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 11-21-2022, 02:39 PM   #1231
TerrapinMonkey

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official MSG 2022 Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
There are only a handful of venues deserving of 3 nights stands these days. This is one of them.
You would think so. DMB doesn't seem to do many of them anymore. Wonder if it's just too taxing. Also on a fall tour like this, I think Dave honestly doesn't "prepare" as many songs. So having a 3rd night which would take another 18-20 songs ready, would be difficult.

The only reason I mention 40 songs is because one year they went to Europe, 2015? and someone asked him about set prep in an interview and he mentioned that he and the band were bringing about 40 songs with them on that particular tour.

I know it seems silly, considering it had only been a month since they finished the summer tour, but looking at sets from the last few weeks, that is exactly what they prepared for. Of course you get the handful of rare plays but if they can't pull off Granny or Best of What's Around after 30 years without rehearsals, there would be no hope.
TerrapinMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-21-2022, 03:07 PM   #1232
    TerrapinMonkey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdigital View Post
    The best way to look at this two night run is you basically had to go to both because night 1 made night 2 so much better. I remember leaving friday night and while disappointed you had to think no way he's going to give us that many duds (sorry, calling a spade a spade) in a row. I can only think of one better show I attending. Jazzfest 2019 before this covid madness....when Stones and Fleetwood Mac both cancelled.

Also, i somehow had an extra pit ticket friday which i put up 90 min before show and the dude who got it (James?) was so pumped he missed the first half hour of that show but ended up right up front via will call... except trying to leave MSG is truly awesome. not sure if anyone saw the impromptu jam by the subway outside MSG after show.... people were going nuts.
    I think catching DMB for a 2 night run is the only way to feel like you're going to get satiated as a die hard. If you catch a one nighter, you're going to get more or less the types of sets we saw this fall. Even this summer, most of the top tier shows were over the 2 night stands. I'm not even saying N1 or N2, but just that Dave has to spread out the average songs across 2 nights
    TerrapinMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-21-2022, 03:35 PM   #1233
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TerrapinMonkey View Post
    Do you just hound TM on twitter? What is your approach? I've always been told there are no upgrades when I reached out.

It is super lame though that they drop "extra" seats in a previously sold out section day of the show and immediately end up on resale. Either they are telling the scalpers this or just doing it themselves like insider trading.
    I was just refreshing TM a lot throughout the day. It's a total crapshoot. They did multiple ticket drops on both days. They were very short duration and I missed buying a bunch of tickets because I was supposedly too slow. Several times I got the tickets in my cart and got all the way to pressing the final purchase button only to be told they were no longer available.

You want to know something even stranger about the resale tickets? So I got those 4 floor seats the day of the show and immediately after I noticed the 2 seats next to our seats were "Fan Verified Resale" tickets for $1400 each. About 2 hours before the show I checked and those seats were no longer listed on TM, so I got curious to know who got them. We get to the show and my friend was seated next to the people who got those tickets. I only heard it second hand, but my friend said that those guys were given those tickets by TM. They were supposed to have seats in like Section E, but they said TM screwed something up and gave them those Section B seats to fix things. If they were telling the truth, then it implies that TM was actually reselling those tickets themselves. Who knows though. Maybe those guys just made up a story because they were embarrassed that they paid $1400 a ticket or maybe they were actually the ones reselling the tickets, they didn't sell, so they just decided to use the tickets themselves. I don't know.

Last edited by Benny003; 11-21-2022 at 03:37 PM.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-21-2022, 03:49 PM   #1234
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 View Post
    MSG in November should just become a yearly thing at this point. They pack that place with hardcore great fans every-time they play there. Last night was a fantastic show.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ISawTheBridge10 View Post
    I agree with this. Regardless of tour, just make the weekend before Thanksgiving (or thereabouts) a 2 night MSG stand. The venue, the city--it just makes sense.

Just got home, everything aside from the driving in CT and NYC was great, not sure about next year because I'm going to The Gorge but I'd love to do another DMB MSG weekend. I definitely picked the right night to go, other weekend highlights:

- The Met
    - Bryant Park winter village
    - Summit One Vanderbilt
    - Rockefeller Center
    - Central Station
    - Drinks at Rolf's, never been at a place like that
    - Dinner at Pastis
    - Brooklyn Bagel, they were at 125 customers per hour on Saturday, can see why
    - Times Square

We walked 9 miles on Saturday, drove 11 hours total for the weekend, was worth it!
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-22-2022, 01:50 PM   #1235
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Just got home, everything aside from the driving in CT and NYC was great, not sure about next year because I'm going to The Gorge but I'd love to do another DMB MSG weekend. I definitely picked the right night to go, other weekend highlights:

- The Met
    - Summit One Vanderbilt
    - Rockefeller Center
    - Central Station
    - Dinner at Pastis
    - Times Square

We walked 9 miles on Saturday, drove 11 hours total for the weekend, was worth it!
    We did the Summit One Vanderbilt too on Saturday morning. The process to actually get to the elevator was a bit excessive and kind of annoying, but it was worth the visit up top. Amazing views in all directions and multiple levels to explore, plus being able to go outside on the top level.

We also visited the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island for the first time. That was really amazing (and a great value, same cost as the Summit One Vanderbilt too). We had tickets to climb to the crown of the Statue of Liberty too, which was a really neat experience. It might be touristy, but it's extremely well run and it was really cool to see all the history of those two locations. Also, the views of Manhattan from the islands and the ferry are amazing. That's worth the price alone.
    Old 11-22-2022, 02:00 PM   #1236
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

I was surprised that the Pay for What You Get on Saturday was only the 3rd time I had seen it 60 shows and the first time since 2006. I had no idea it had been that long when I was watching them play it. First time I saw it was at my 3rd show ever.
    Old 11-22-2022, 04:39 PM   #1237
    Zags85

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

MSG weekend is going to challenge my covid safe streak of shows. Wife went down today, stay safe out there!
    Zags85 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-22-2022, 04:52 PM   #1238
    crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    I was surprised that the Pay for What You Get on Saturday was only the 3rd time I had seen it 60 shows and the first time since 2006. I had no idea it had been that long when I was watching them play it. First time I saw it was at my 3rd show ever.
    I was shocked to learn afterwards that I’d seen PFWYG before. I assumed it was my first time seeing it but apparently I saw it in 2014. Got Good Good Time, Take Me to Tomorrow, and Slip Slidin Away that same show. For some reason, I remember none of it apart from Slip Slidin.
    Old 11-22-2022, 05:25 PM   #1239
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beauford3641 View Post
    I think a lot of people had themselves convinced that she was now going to be a part of the band when in reality it was indeed just a one off. A cool one off to be sure, but a one off all the same. The band lineup that exists now is most likely it until the end of the road comes for DMB, whenever that is. Then it'll probably just become Dave and friends in whatever formation it will be.
    I think this is Dave and friends already.
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-22-2022, 05:41 PM   #1240
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
    I think this is Dave and friends already.

When did it become that for you, Roi?
    Old 11-22-2022, 06:02 PM   #1241
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    When did it become that for you, Roi?
    Started to feel that way when they added Tim again. A little more when roi passed. Minus boyd and adding buddy it just kind of feels that way. It seems like the majority of fans always believed dmb would end with some sort of Dave and friends lineup. I think we’re seeing it now.
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-22-2022, 06:21 PM   #1242
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
    Started to feel that way when they added Tim again. A little more when roi passed. Minus boyd and adding buddy it just kind of feels that way. It seems like the majority of fans always believed dmb would end with some sort of Dave and friends lineup. I think we’re seeing it now.

Interesting perspective and I know you aren't alone, I see it differently but regardless they are obviously somewhere on the back 9
    Old 11-23-2022, 08:29 AM   #1243
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

- The Met
    - Summit One Vanderbilt
    - Rockefeller Center
    - Central Station
    - Dinner at Pastis
    - Times Square

You got a ton done in such little time. Kudos. I've been meaning to hit Summit One for a while now.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-23-2022, 08:31 AM   #1244
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zags85 View Post
    I'll be curious where MSG falls for me since I've done Spac, Alpine, Creek (great venue), and Gorge after this past summer. Willing to share my current rankings if it doesn't start a venue war
    Wellll???
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-23-2022, 10:58 AM   #1245
    Zags85

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Wellll???
    This ranking tries to ignore any influence from missing Thanksgiving due to my wife getting covid over the weekend, me sleeping in the guest room, and having to stare at the worst poster ever from a WH premium package that I need to ship lol.

All jokes aside, I had a blast in NYC and wouldn't hesitate to go back and eat some slices + attend DMB shows. The new speaker stack once it got dialed in N2 was amazing sounding. I'm prob a tie overall on Creek and MSG but gave the nod to Creek because I prefer outdoors.

Lodging and travel
    Creek
    MSG
    SPAC
    Gorge
    Alpine

Ticket availability for non lawn (Best to worst)
    Alpine
    Gorge
    Creek
    MSG
    SPAC

Pre show N0 and town
    SPAC
    MSG
    Gorge *didn't camp but assumption and Seattle was fun
    Creek
    Alpine

Acoustics
    MSG (first time with new stack for fall)
    Alpine
    SPAC
    Creek
    Gorge

Atmosphere
    SPAC
    MSG
    Creek
    Gorge
    Alpine

Venue food, security, bathrooms
    MSG
    Creek
    SPAC
    Gorge
    Alpine

Setlists
    SPAC
    MSG
    Gorge
    Creek
    Alpine

Crowd loudness
    SPAC
    MSG
    Alpine
    Creek
    Gorge

Venue Overall
    SPAC
    Creek
    MSG
    Gorge
    Alpine
    Always last of any venue in history - Northerly Island
    Old 11-23-2022, 11:55 AM   #1246
    Jb41

My Tour Central Stats

So what do we all think happened on So Much to Say on night 2?
    Watching live, I thought Dave flubbed a line, then couldn't find his place back in the song and just started messing around.
    But watching this video, it looks like he was having fun the whole time, like he was playing games with the song.
    Thoughts?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hutGJWC2tVs
    Jb41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-23-2022, 12:18 PM   #1247
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This ranking tries to ignore any influence from missing Thanksgiving due to my wife getting covid over the weekend, me sleeping in the guest room, and having to stare at the worst poster ever from a WH premium package that I need to ship lol.

All jokes aside, I had a blast in NYC and wouldn't hesitate to go back and eat some slices + attend DMB shows. The new speaker stack once it got dialed in N2 was amazing sounding. I'm prob a tie overall on Creek and MSG but gave the nod to Creek because I prefer outdoors.

Lodging and travel
    Creek
    MSG
    SPAC
    Gorge
    Alpine

Alpine
    Gorge
    Creek
    MSG
    SPAC

Pre show N0 and town
    SPAC
    MSG
    Creek
    Alpine

Acoustics
    Alpine
    SPAC
    Creek
    Gorge

Atmosphere
    SPAC
    MSG
    Creek
    Gorge
    Alpine

MSG
    Creek
    SPAC
    Gorge
    Alpine

Setlists
    SPAC
    MSG
    Gorge
    Creek
    Alpine

Crowd loudness
    SPAC
    MSG
    Alpine
    Creek
    Gorge

Venue Overall
    SPAC
    Creek
    MSG
    Gorge
    Alpine
    Great ranking. That would be a lot to discuss, but this is so personal. In terms of atmosphere, for example, I thought that Alpine was also great (did't do Gorge and Creek).
    Old 11-23-2022, 12:33 PM   #1248
    monizzle145

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Lodging and travel
    Creek
    MSG
    SPAC
    Gorge
    Alpine

Alpine
    Gorge
    Creek
    MSG
    SPAC

Pre show N0 and town
    SPAC
    MSG
    Creek
    Alpine

Acoustics
    Alpine
    SPAC
    Creek
    Gorge

Atmosphere
    SPAC
    MSG
    Creek
    Gorge
    Alpine

MSG
    Creek
    SPAC
    Gorge
    Alpine

Setlists
    SPAC
    MSG
    Gorge
    Creek
    Alpine

Crowd loudness
    SPAC
    MSG
    Alpine
    Creek
    Gorge

Venue Overall
    SPAC
    Creek
    MSG
    Gorge
    Alpine
    This is my rankings excluding gorge since I didn't go this year

I am an east coast guy through and through but enjoyed my time in the Midwest. Hit 10 days and visited, Indy, Chicago, Green Bay, Milwaukee, and East Troy. Did a summerfest show to see Disturbed, Lamb of God, Chevelle, TC Carson, and the revivalists as well as 2 baseball games in chicago and tours of Lambeau and Am/Fam Field.

Lodging and travel
    Alpine
    Creek
    SPAC
    MSG

Alpine
    Creek
    MSG
    SPAC

Pre show Tailgate/Meet Ups
    Alpine
    Deer Creek
    SPAC
    MSG

Acoustics
    Alpine
    SPAC
    Creek
    MSG

Atmosphere
    SPAC
    MSG
    Alpine
    Creek

MSG
    Creek
    Alpine
    SPAC

Setlist
    SPAC
    Alpine
    MSG
    Deer Creek

Crowd Loudness
    SPAC
    MSG
    Alpine
    Deer Creek

Venue Overall
    SPAC
    Alpine
    MSG
    Deer Creek
    monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-23-2022, 12:59 PM   #1249
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jb41 View Post
    Watching live, I thought Dave flubbed a line, then couldn't find his place back in the song and just started messing around.
    But watching this video, it looks like he was having fun the whole time, like he was playing games with the song.
    Thoughts?
    Seeing it live at the show, I think he just messed up the lines, laughed at himself for messing up, improved his way back to the lyrics, and that was it. I noticed it right when it happened live.
    Old 11-23-2022, 01:05 PM   #1250
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jb41 View Post
    Thoughts?
    All of that is exactly what happened.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-23-2022, 02:00 PM   #1251
    Zags85

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    Great ranking. That would be a lot to discuss, but this is so personal. In terms of atmosphere, for example, I thought that Alpine was also great (did't do Gorge and Creek).
    Agree on personal preference could easily influence different rankings. I will never camp so it probably lowers Gorge for me with the hotels (besides new Microtel) being 30 minutes minimum away. That makes MSG so easy for me because I am almost always walking distance from the venues since I book early.

To be fair, we're comparing the best of the best so to your point, Alpine was still very good.
    Old 11-23-2022, 02:04 PM   #1252
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You got a ton done in such little time. Kudos. I've been meaning to hit Summit One for a while now.

It's worth it as Benny pointed out as well, we went there as the sun was setting and thought it was perfectly timed but I'm sure it's very enjoyable anytime.

Have been to SPAC several times, Gorge once and going back in '23, MSG now once, feel like they are hard to compare to each other. For a strong show and amazing atmosphere I'd pick SPAC balcony.
    Old 11-23-2022, 03:27 PM   #1253
    bullet78

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Seeing it live at the show, I think he just messed up the lines, laughed at himself for messing up, improved his way back to the lyrics, and that was it. I noticed it right when it happened live.
    Same observation here. He turned around and seemed to laugh and smile at Carter and Stefan after he fucked up.
    bullet78 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-24-2022, 12:21 PM   #1254
    bennyL1

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    100%, noticed it when it happened but the recovery was great. All good in my book
    bennyL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-27-2022, 07:46 PM   #1255
    DKX147992

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bennyL1 View Post
    100%, noticed it when it happened but the recovery was great. All good in my book
    Is it weird that I “enjoy” the occasional lyric gaps? So much to say at MSG reminded me of SPAC n1 in 2021… he just lost his footing during Pig, start of verse 2 (“Look, here are we, on this starry night…”) to the extent he stopped walked away from the mic and took 5-10 secs then just started the verse over.

MSG was definitely the same, he just got lost but the recovery was much smoother and playful if that’s the right word?

Its funny because the crowd continues on usually with the correct lyrics, then stops when it’s obvious what’s happening and there’s this brief laughter and applause as he gets back on track.

RE: rating venues, SPAC is #1 in my book, Tampa is the worst, Deer Creek was fun when you’re in a haze of booze, etc., but it’s been a long time since I’ve been there.

He seems to step the setlists up a notch at the Garden for sure, just as he does at Gorge, C’ville, Spac, and some of the awesome venues ranked above. SPAC is the best combination of fans, atmosphere, surroundings, set lists, you name it though.
    DKX147992 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-01-2022, 04:46 PM   #1256
    Miller9

Shows Seen: 101

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKX147992 View Post
    Is it weird that I “enjoy” the occasional lyric gaps? So much to say at MSG reminded me of SPAC n1 in 2021… he just lost his footing during Pig, start of verse 2 (“Look, here are we, on this starry night…”) to the extent he stopped walked away from the mic and took 5-10 secs then just started the verse over.

MSG was definitely the same, he just got lost but the recovery was much smoother and playful if that’s the right word?

Its funny because the crowd continues on usually with the correct lyrics, then stops when it’s obvious what’s happening and there’s this brief laughter and applause as he gets back on track.

RE: rating venues, SPAC is #1 in my book, Tampa is the worst, Deer Creek was fun when you’re in a haze of booze, etc., but it’s been a long time since I’ve been there.

He seems to step the setlists up a notch at the Garden for sure, just as he does at Gorge, C’ville, Spac, and some of the awesome venues ranked above. SPAC is the best combination of fans, atmosphere, surroundings, set lists, you name it though.
    I'll second this, SPAC and Gorge are truly the only venues I go to where I leave the show "wow'ed". Gotta say, I've been to MSG for DMB 4 times and I haven't ever left thinking "now THAT'S an MSG worthy show!". Shows have been somewhat solid but nothing that's blown me away the way the shows in Saratoga do. You can just tell they step their game up at SPAC.
    Miller9 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2022, 02:39 PM   #1257
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

I'm kind of surprised only 1 tape has come out for each night. I know of at least 2 other tapers that were at both shows that haven't seemed to release their tapes. I wonder if they will get released.