Dave Matthews Band Biopic... Why not? - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-08-2021, 10:19 AM   #31
TypicalBilly14

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Dave Matthews Band Biopic... Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboPGT View Post
Pass. No need to overdramatize people's lives.
That's why we have The Kardashians.
TypicalBilly14 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-08-2021, 01:40 PM   #32
    resumesomething

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Dave ain't Elton John. It would definitely be a boring movie, save the part where he writes a "tiny little song" about his son swimming.

But IF it happened, I'd say Joaquin Phoenix play Dave.
    resumesomething is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2021, 05:18 PM   #33
    C.S.
    I lurk you long time...

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    An even better idea: Being Dave Matthews. The sequel to Being John Malkovich.
    Now THIS would be amazing.
    C.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2021, 03:15 AM   #34
    benney

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

You can tell you guys are critics and not creatives!

Although it will never get made, there's loads of scope to a really interesting/weird DMB film where reality blurs with fantasy. Think 'Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' meets 'I'm not there'. DMB's music would be the perfect soundtrack. Then you'd have something really fresh that suits the music and isn't a run-of-the-mill (lame) biopic.
    benney is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2021, 04:50 AM   #35
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by benney View Post

Although it will never get made, there's loads of scope to a really interesting/weird DMB film where reality blurs with fantasy. Think 'Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' meets 'I'm not there'. DMB's music would be the perfect soundtrack. Then you'd have something really fresh that suits the music and isn't a run-of-the-mill (lame) biopic.

Quote:
    An even better idea: Being Dave Matthews. The sequel to Being John Malkovich.

Being “John Malkovic” and “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” have one thing in common. They were written by Charlie Kaufman.
    From wiki: Kaufman's works explore such universal themes as identity crisis, mortality, and the meaning of life. They are all Dave Matthews recurrent subjects.
    If Kaufman for some mysterious reason one day will decide to explore the Dave Matthews world, I am sure he would end up doing a great work.
    Old 06-21-2021, 06:21 AM   #36
    bowa36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by benney View Post

Yeah no.
    Old 06-21-2021, 09:04 AM   #37
    RainDog1980

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I’ve gone to reply to this so many times, but then been like, “why crap on the parade”?

There are a lot of assumptions here - one of which is the relevance and reach of the band on cultural impact level. When you look back at music history, DMB isn’t going to be a chapter. They’re lumped into the ‘90s alternative movement, in which they were a unique outlier for their instrumentation. That they remain a popular touring band does not make them one of the biggest rock bands in the world.

All of the things that have been pointed to as “interesting” are biopic tropes. Tragic family deaths, substance abuse, near breakups, studio trouble, the loss of a band member etc. aren’t unique to DMB to make them interesting. Aside from their grass roots strength in a time dominated by record labels, this band has gone through the same thing most have in one way or another, they’re just quiet about it.
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2021, 09:16 AM   #38
    benney

Shows Seen: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bowa36 View Post
    Yeah no.
    Jesus, this is why I never post. THEY'RE NEVER GOING TO MAKE A DMB MOVIE. But we can have a bit of fun with the discussion.

Last edited by benney; 06-21-2021 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Written in anger
    benney is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2021, 03:06 PM   #39
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I just imagine it could be hilarious if a couple hardcores bicker with each other over set lists choices during a show inside his head. And Dave's reactions to all of that. Even changing the set list mid-show and making Dave do it.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2021, 04:46 PM   #40
    joshg

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I just imagine it could be hilarious if a couple hardcores bicker with each other over set lists choices during a show inside his head. And Dave's reactions to all of that. Even changing the set list mid-show and making Dave do it.
    In 2021, is it possible for a hardcore to hack into DM's IEM and demand "rarities" and "liberations."

"Stat!"
    joshg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2021, 10:34 AM   #41
    Slackdoodle

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bowa36 View Post
    To be honest I can't see this being that interesting, even to DMB fans

That's because we're fans, on the outside, with scant knowledge of behind-the-scenes dynamics and stories. Any writer/filmmaker worth their salt is gonna dig, dig, dig and find that drama and conflict, figure out the angle that makes a compelling story. I didn't think I'd ever care about watching an Elton John biopic but Rocketman was amazing.
    Slackdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2021, 05:14 AM   #42
    resumesomething

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slackdoodle View Post
    That's because we're fans, on the outside, with scant knowledge of behind-the-scenes dynamics and stories. Any writer/filmmaker worth their salt is gonna dig, dig, dig and find that drama and conflict, figure out the angle that makes a compelling story. I didn't think I'd ever care about watching an Elton John biopic but Rocketman was amazing.
    Rocketman was great. Elton John is a larger than life personality, and the style of that movie fit him well.

Eric Clapton's life would make an interesting film. His mother got pregnant young, so he grew up thinking his mother was his sister and his grandparents were his parents. Serious drug and alcohol addiction (in his autobiography he wrote about going to some sort of fair, getting so wasted that he passed out on the ground and when he woke up, the field was empty, as the fair left town, and he was laying in his own vomit and excrement). Writing one of the most iconic rock songs in history about being in love with his friends wife, and eventually marrying her. The friend happened to be one of the Beatles. By luck didn't get on the same helicopter as SRV after a concert and didn't die in 1990. His 4 years son falls out a skyscraper window, and he writes Tears in Heaven...

We definitely know the DMB had some conflict and struggle, but the writer/filmmaker would need to really dig a hole all the way to China to make an entire film that's interesting to the general public. By that I mean people who don't spend an inordinate amount of their time on Ants.
    resumesomething is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2021, 07:53 AM   #43
    RainDog1980

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slackdoodle View Post
    But Elton John has made an indelible mark on music...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by resumesomething View Post
    Rocketman was great. Elton John is a larger than life personality, and the style of that movie fit him well.

Eric Clapton's life would make an interesting film. His mother got pregnant young, so he grew up thinking his mother was his sister and his grandparents were his parents. Serious drug and alcohol addiction (in his autobiography he wrote about going to some sort of fair, getting so wasted that he passed out on the ground and when he woke up, the field was empty, as the fair left town, and he was laying in his own vomit and excrement). Writing one of the most iconic rock songs in history about being in love with his friends wife, and eventually marrying her. The friend happened to be one of the Beatles. By luck didn't get on the same helicopter as SRV after a concert and didn't die in 1990. His 4 years son falls out a skyscraper window, and he writes Tears in Heaven...

We definitely know the DMB had some conflict and struggle, but the writer/filmmaker would need to really dig a hole all the way to China to make an entire film that's interesting to the general public. By that I mean people who don't spend an inordinate amount of their time on Ants.
    Exactly what I was trying to say in my earlier post. As different as this band was in its heyday... ask someone off of Ants to point to a defining moment in the band's or Dave's career that changed the trajectory for those after them. I'm a big fan, and can't answer it.
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote