***Official Bend, OR 2020 thread*** - Page 7 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-09-2021, 02:43 PM   #181
donvito72

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Bend, OR 2020 thread***

I probably wouldn't have traveled to the Gorge knowing that was going to be the show - but I bet given the reviews, I'd have regretted taking that approach. I'm going to SPAC next week regardless, but admittedly, I'm still hoping for full band.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-09-2021, 03:20 PM   #182
    jordanbball17
    Black lives matter

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbetc View Post
    While the anxiety and unknown wasn't pleasant leading up to Gorge N1, the experience of N1 was one of the best of all my shows. Not knowing what to expect setlist (or format) wise was sky-rocketed.

I would have traveled to the Gorge 100%. For Dave solo, D&T or Dave & Friends.

I didn't go to Bend and having gone to the Gorge, I debated selling my Irvine tickets, mainly because it seems it will be very similar to Gorge shows (fingers crossed it's full DMB). But we decided to go. The shows were amazing and worth the price, IMO. I just wish the band would be more transparent of what to expect to the upcoming shows.

And also I'd like to see the full band as Irvine is my last show.
    Yeah, Bend was a little more disappointing, to be honest. All of us had been at Gorge, and none of us expected Stefan or Carter to be back (very surprised others did).
    However, they're definitely operating off of a very limited choice of songs, as evidenced by everything we saw last night having been played at Gorge. I know I know, what else can we expect after seeing a 3 night run, but usually there's at least a 1-2 song difference between shows. They were definitely tighter as a group (someone finally gave Tony some sheet music), but it took some of the fun out of it knowing what to expect.
    If I had tix to Irvine and had seen any of the Gorge/Bend shows, I would consider selling them if Stefan and Carter weren't back.
    Old 09-09-2021, 03:51 PM   #183
    Kitsym

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jordanbball17 View Post
    Yeah, Bend was a little more disappointing, to be honest. All of us had been at Gorge, and none of us expected Stefan or Carter to be back (very surprised others did).
    However, they're definitely operating off of a very limited choice of songs, as evidenced by everything we saw last night having been played at Gorge. I know I know, what else can we expect after seeing a 3 night run, but usually there's at least a 1-2 song difference between shows. They were definitely tighter as a group (someone finally gave Tony some sheet music), but it took some of the fun out of it knowing what to expect.
    If I had tix to Irvine and had seen any of the Gorge/Bend shows, I would consider selling them if Stefan and Carter weren't back.
    We went to the gorge and N1’s uncertainty of “WTF is going to happen” and all the speculation made it super interesting. We felt the format was kind of cool and different. Probably in the minority here, but the horns were really bleh. They felt forced. Without the bass and drums they were just “there” and didn’t add much. Love them in full band. Warehouse N1 was not pleasant to listen to.

However, we felt Bend was good! They obviously cleaned up some things between shows. Honestly, our hearts sank a bit when we thought it was the exact same set list. It wasn’t. It felt like Dave picked the songs he felt let this format shine. And it did. Energy was low at the beginning and it was hard not to feel crappy with the smoke, heat, and missing band members. From what I understand, there was serious chatter about canceling the show because of the air quality.

Great versions of grey, lying, bayou, and YMDT. Buddy and Tony were in a groove and as much as it feels weird to say it…. YMDT was one of my favorite versions. Buddy was playing so hard the kit kept moving. He played through it. Hell, he even moved the mic with his head mid-song.

I’ll just saw I appreciate going to live music again. The format was/is unique and it was special. We met some more friends this year and it was a blast. Now it’s time to rest!
    Kitsym is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2021, 03:55 PM   #184
    jordanbball17
    Black lives matter

Shows Seen: 55

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kitsym View Post
    We went to the gorge and N1’s uncertainty of “WTF is going to happen” and all the speculation made it super interesting. We felt the format was kind of cool and different. Probably in the minority here, but the horns were really bleh. They felt forced. Without the bass and drums they were just “there” and didn’t add much. Love them in full band. Warehouse N1 was not pleasant to listen to.

However, we felt Bend was good! They obviously cleaned up some things between shows. Honestly, our hearts sank a bit when we thought it was the exact same set list. It wasn’t. It felt like Dave picked the songs he felt let this format shine. And it did. Energy was low at the beginning and it was hard not to feel crappy with the smoke, heat, and missing band members. From what I understand, there was serious chatter about canceling the show because of the air quality.

Great versions of grey, lying, bayou, and YMDT. Buddy and Tony were in a groove and as much as it feels weird to say it…. YMDT was one of my favorite versions. Buddy was playing so hard the kit kept moving. He played through it. Hell, he even moved the mic with his head mid-song.

I’ll just saw I appreciate going to live music again. The format was/is unique and it was special. We met some more friends this year and it was a blast. Now it’s time to rest!
    Definitely agree with you about N1-it was very fun watching it all unfold in real time. And getting to watch the band interact and get through songs throughout the weekend was very entertaining.

Also agree with you about being lucky a show even happened last night-it was SO smoky and Dave still chose to go all out vocally on some of the songs. Definitely showed his dedication to the fans. Loved YMDT and Bayou as well, and that was one of the funkiest versions of Thank You they've ever played!
    Old 09-10-2021, 08:00 AM   #185
    anklebunker

Shows Seen: 46

My Tour Central Stats

It's not unprecedented for the show immediately following The Gorge to get all repeats from The Gorge. In recent history it has happened in:

2019 (http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.as...160&where=2019)
    2015 (http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.as...128&where=2015)
    anklebunker is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-10-2021, 10:10 AM   #186
    DaWarehouse418
    Me on the Wii!

Shows Seen: 155

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anklebunker View Post
    It's not unprecedented for the show immediately following The Gorge to get all repeats from The Gorge. In recent history it has happened in:

2019 (http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.as...160&where=2019)
    2015 (http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.as...128&where=2015)
    Good find. It makes sense - you have a venue get 60 unique songs, and then the next venue just needs 20.
    Old 09-11-2021, 12:03 PM   #187
    Kitsym

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jordanbball17 View Post
    Definitely agree with you about N1-it was very fun watching it all unfold in real time. And getting to watch the band interact and get through songs throughout the weekend was very entertaining.

Also agree with you about being lucky a show even happened last night-it was SO smoky and Dave still chose to go all out vocally on some of the songs. Definitely showed his dedication to the fans. Loved YMDT and Bayou as well, and that was one of the funkiest versions of Thank You they've ever played!
    You aren’t kidding! “Thank You” was funky and awesome. And Dave let us go on for more than their usual. They were feeling it and he let Tony shine! Very cool segue.
    Kitsym is offline   Reply With Quote