New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 6 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 10-22-2020, 10:21 AM   #151
Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
Wait, what? Seems like a lot of random detail to be let out in a Sirius interview. I can't wait to see what comes from this.
It's a full blown interview where he spends like 20 min talking about politics and then another 20 talking about how he's been writing, with who (spoiler Rob Evans), how he brought in Carter, then the other band members, how he hasn't felt pressured to write, a bunch of stuff really.

It's called In Conversation - Dave Matthews. It's on demand on the Sirius app and website.
Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-22-2020, 10:21 AM   #152
    anthonysoscia

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Go on sirius rn and go back an hour then restart show. Yeah that song “walk around the moon” is the one he said is one of the best he’s written. Not released yet. He said it’s about a walk in the woods and some mushrooms.
    anthonysoscia is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2020, 10:27 AM   #153
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

this is all very exciting. I'm guessing nothing official about a release of any sort? I'll listen to it soon.
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2020, 10:33 AM   #154
    anthonysoscia

Shows Seen: 41

My Tour Central Stats

Nothing about any official release. He talked about it very casually. Definitely exciting! Based off “The Ocean and the Butterfly” I’m looking forward to hear more!
    anthonysoscia is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2020, 10:38 AM   #155
    theflower

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

i always love hearing tidbits of information like this about DMB and like to think that the last 7 months may have ignited a creative burst out of dave. i'd also love the end product to be something that stays with me for longer than a few days. I haven't listened to come tomorrow since the week it was released. and i would loooooooooooooooooooove to get bismark and surgar will on a release. finally.
    theflower is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2020, 12:46 PM   #156
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Dave interviews are a tough listen. He rambles so much haha.
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2020, 02:36 PM   #157
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Dave also said Big Whiskey was his best album

We all know his taste in his own music is ass.
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2020, 02:40 PM   #158
    LaLaLaLaHey

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anthonysoscia View Post
    Anyone catch the Sirius xm interview where he literally said he just wrote a bunch in Virginia, then called Carter up, then Buddy and Tim, then Stefan, and then Rashawn and Jeff????!!! The band was just recording in Charlottesville. Have I missed anyone talking about this!!??
    Is there a link to this anywhere? Or a way I can replay it on sirius?
    Old 10-22-2020, 02:44 PM   #159
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eggsrsweet View Post
    Dave also said Big Whiskey was his best album

We all know his taste in his own music is ass.
    Say what you want, but I feel like that’s the last album the band as a whole worked on. AFTW and Come Tomorrow feel like Dave featuring his band, Big Whiskey feels like the last DMB record.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2020, 05:18 PM   #160
    aparker507

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Carter in studio recording congas today.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Old 10-22-2020, 05:54 PM   #161
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aparker507 View Post

that’s awesome! Thanks for the update!
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2020, 05:56 PM   #162
    aparker507

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    that’s awesome! Thanks for the update!
    Excited for some new tunes! I'll see if anything else comes up!

Old 10-22-2020, 05:57 PM   #163
    kenticus

Shows Seen: 6

My Tour Central Stats

If there’s any positive from all the devastation of 2020, it’s that you’re seeing bands and artists bunker down and write without deadlines or pressures to release nothing. Here’s to hoping they’re just doing as they please and following the muse.....I mean we kind of knew him and carter had been working and we knew that shadows on the wall had been in the bag for a few months now....so interesting.
    kenticus is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2020, 06:04 PM   #164
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Excited for some new tunes! I'll see if anything else comes up!

Love it thanks man
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2020, 06:09 PM   #165
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenticus View Post
    If there’s any positive from all the devastation of 2020, it’s that you’re seeing bands and artists bunker down and write without deadlines or pressures to release nothing. Here’s to hoping they’re just doing as they please and following the muse.....I mean we kind of knew him and carter had been working and we knew that shadows on the wall had been in the bag for a few months now....so interesting.
    Not the year anyone was looking for of course but you make a really good point, I think this sets up well for DMB and bands from their level all the way down to what I'm seeing at a local level. It's really inspiring to see so many artists dig into their creativity and shift the focus towards more writing.
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2020, 08:55 PM   #166
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I just want to hear these 7 guys go in the studio together and create a new album from start to finish. Not 18 producers over a span of 15 years...not trying to force a rekindling with Steve Lillywhite and releasing something that all parties didn't agree on. I think in the right environment, something special could be created.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2020, 11:57 PM   #167
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

LET’S GO.

This process may bring the best studio music from the band since BW. This natural process working with Rob and hearing Singing from the Windows and Ocean and the Butterfly has me really excited. I’ve said this before, but the next album will be the first without some sort of hinderance since BTCS-

Everyday - Ballard and Dave write the album for everyone in 12 days after the LWS
    Busted Stuff - band feels pressure to make an “official” album of LS somewhat begrudgingly
    Stand Up - Batson helps the band in a “hip-hop” influenced album that drove the band apart and fans hated
    Big Whiskey - (I’m one of the few who love BW- I say it’s in the Big 4) obviously Leroi’s death was huge
    Away From the World - clearly an album/process Dave is unhappy with, continued to sour band with Steve
    Come Tomorrow - Boyd falling out, 4 producers throwing tracks together sloppily leading to the weakest album since SU

maybe this freedom and ease that the band hasn’t had in years will lead us to a great album, which they are overdue for.
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 06:00 AM   #168
    ah1252

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    :Carter in studio recording congas today.
    I heard it was Crater on bongos.

Last edited by ah1252; 10-23-2020 at 06:02 AM.
    ah1252 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 08:15 AM   #169
    DMB1JW

Shows Seen: 113

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Exciting reading these updates. It's awesome that this great band I love is still making music. Period.
    DMB1JW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 08:22 AM   #170
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ah1252 View Post
    I heard it was Crater on bongos.
    Carter/Crater
    Congas/Bongos

It is all the same right
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 09:12 AM   #171
    paulg83
    Probably just rage

Shows Seen: 66

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Here are the main takeaways from that portion of the Sirius interview.

-Dave says writing is going well. He's been home in Virginia, just hanging out and noodling on guitars outside with Rob Evans. Rob will start randomly setting up mics saying to Dave "Well what if you play something really good?" So it sounds like there's a lot of recordings.
    -Rob was the one constantly saying "We should get Carter to play on this..." There was one song in particular that Dave said they got really excited about and just 2 hours later it's one of his favorite songs he ever wrote.
    -The above song is called "Walk Around the Moon" and according to Dave it's about taking a walk in the woods and maybe finding a mushroom in the woods... This is the song that made Dave say "Okay, let's call Carter."
    -Dave says at the moment he and the band have a couple more songs than he can count on both hands (so 12?)
    -Dave says some songs are raucous rocking, some songs are really sweet, and there is some "retro music" he's excited about.
    -It started with him going into a room playing a song for Carter, Dave standing behind the glass and just listening to him. Carter came in and said "I'm so outta practice since we haven't been on the road" but then he'd just slay, and play something so beautiful, with so much power but so composed, so elevating.Typical Dave fawning over Carter, which, fair.
    -Then they brought everyone else in the studio, Dave joked that they were in hazmat suits. It started with Carter, then Tim and Buddy (Dave's really excited about sharing some videos of Tim and Buddy sitting next to each other with their masks on just exchanging licks).
    -Dave says the process was beautiful and maybe overcautious--They're all tested absurdly frequently for Covid. Stefan came in, got off the airplane in his "hazmat suit," played the bass with big gloves.
    -Then finally the horns came in.
    -When asked how has this year's events impacted his songwriting, Dave says he had a lot of time to write music, and it's been a time of real freedom for him. He didn't want to put pressure on himself, so it's all been really open for him.

God, I hope we hear more on this soon! Really love Singing From the Windows and The Ocean and the Butterfly!

Last edited by paulg83; 10-23-2020 at 09:14 AM.
    paulg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 09:13 AM   #172
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

I hope we get to hear the fruits of these sessions at some point soon.
    Old 10-23-2020, 09:47 AM   #173
    theflower

Shows Seen: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paulg83 View Post

-Dave says writing is going well. He's been home in Virginia, just hanging out and noodling on guitars outside with Rob Evans. Rob will start randomly setting up mics saying to Dave "Well what if you play something really good?" So it sounds like there's a lot of recordings.
    -Rob was the one constantly saying "We should get Carter to play on this..." There was one song in particular that Dave said they got really excited about and just 2 hours later it's one of his favorite songs he ever wrote.
    -The above song is called "Walk Around the Moon" and according to Dave it's about taking a walk in the woods and maybe finding a mushroom in the woods... This is the song that made Dave say "Okay, let's call Carter."
    -Dave says at the moment he and the band have a couple more songs than he can count on both hands (so 12?)
    -Dave says some songs are raucous rocking, some songs are really sweet, and there is some "retro music" he's excited about.
    -It started with him going into a room playing a song for Carter, Dave standing behind the glass and just listening to him. Carter came in and said "I'm so outta practice since we haven't been on the road" but then he'd just slay, and play something so beautiful, with so much power but so composed, so elevating.Typical Dave fawning over Carter, which, fair.
    -Then they brought everyone else in the studio, Dave joked that they were in hazmat suits. It started with Carter, then Tim and Buddy (Dave's really excited about sharing some videos of Tim and Buddy sitting next to each other with their masks on just exchanging licks).
    -Dave says the process was beautiful and maybe overcautious--They're all tested absurdly frequently for Covid. Stefan came in, got off the airplane in his "hazmat suit," played the bass with big gloves.
    -When asked how has this year's events impacted his songwriting, Dave says he had a lot of time to write music, and it's been a time of real freedom for him. He didn't want to put pressure on himself, so it's all been really open for him.

God, I hope we hear more on this soon! Really love Singing From the Windows and The Ocean and the Butterfly!
    drooling. so cool.
    theflower is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 10:00 AM   #174
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

They should get together and just jam for a couple hours and live stream it for an access fee for charity. I know I'd pay for that. Play some new songs, some old songs, workshop some stuff. Man, that would be fucking magic. Too bad it won't happen.
    Old 10-23-2020, 10:03 AM   #175
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    They should get together and just jam for a couple hours and live stream it for an access fee for charity. I know I'd pay for that. Play some new songs, some old songs, workshop some stuff. Man, that would be fucking magic. Too bad it won't happen.

Haha yea, studio sessions with this band are like double sscret probation.
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 10:06 AM   #176
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheStone91 View Post
    Haha yea, studio sessions with this band are like double sscret probation.
    Even if was a standard show with a setlist full of old songs and maybe a couple new ones. It doesn't need to have a studio/jam vibe. But anything with the 7 of them playing live music together would be awesome.
    Old 10-23-2020, 10:09 AM   #177
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Thank you for this update! Reading this while listening to the new Jeff Tweedy album and sipping on tea has me super giddy.
    Old 10-23-2020, 10:14 AM   #178
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

I kinda wish Dave didn't say Walk Around the Moon was one of his favorites he has ever written. That sets expectations high and if we ever hear it the potential for a let down is high even if the song is good.
    Old 10-23-2020, 10:32 AM   #179
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I wish the band didn't have a history of doing this stuff and then setting the work aside...forever.

High hopes for new music, but keeping expectations low until we hear stuff about official releases.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 10:34 AM   #180
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I wonder what he meant by retro music. Sound like they might be working on a couple older tracks as well. Man this is exciting. I hope they stick with one producer (Evans) and I hope for mostly new tunes.
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote