DMB Live 25 - 5LP Vinyl (180g) - Page 20 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-11-2017, 06:58 PM   #571
BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMB Live 25 - 5LP Vinyl (180g)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjobes View Post
This thread. Wow. And btw the plural of vinyl is vinyl.

I ordered this set without a second thought. Vinyl is my main music source and to have this is going to be incredible. The price is not bad either. The only thing that worries me is the amount of people that bought this that are going to play this on a Crosley. Ugh....and also some jackass already has one for sale for $500 on eBay. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup, Crosley/Ion/LP60s. I had a guy on the WH tell me he "didn't buy it, bro" when I said the LP60 is notorious for poor tracking on dynamic records and that vinyl doesn't magically jump skip without visible damage or poor table calibration/quality. If we were talking about repeating/locked grooves that's different and usually easily remedied.

And here we go already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBlunts View Post
I'm have fingers crossed I can snag one tomorrow at 3, BUT I do have some serious concerns about the quality on this vinyl release. I was lucky enough to get a special edition RSD Red Rocks set and the printing was AWFUL. At least 5 tracks had very noticeable skips and digifunk on what was flawless vinyl. Dozens of people on reddit were talking about how their copies were all messed up as well...and that set was only $80. $175 seems fine with me, like I said I will buy it, but there will be hell to pay if it's as messed up as the Red Rocks vinyl.
What table do you have? And what is "digifunk"?

And are you talking about the r/DMB sub? It got pretty good reviews in r/vinyl
BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-11-2017, 07:01 PM   #572
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    The re sale value of these 2500 presses will be astronomical

You think so?

If they'd sold out instantly/crashed the site, I'd say for sure. But you can still buy one right now if you want one. That's telling me people are already balking at the $180 price point.

Granted, it's only open to WH members at the moment, but I figured there were enough members to knock out 2,500 pretty quickly if they were going to be that hot of a commodity. Don't the first pressings of the album or LT vinyl sell out on WH pretty quickly with similar runs?

I don't follow vinyl like I do posters... so I really don't know.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 07-11-2017 at 07:02 PM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2017, 07:03 PM   #573
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBlunts View Post
    I'm have fingers crossed I can snag one tomorrow at 3, BUT I do have some serious concerns about the quality on this vinyl release. I was lucky enough to get a special edition RSD Red Rocks set and the printing was AWFUL. At least 5 tracks had very noticeable skips and digifunk on what was flawless vinyl. Dozens of people on reddit were talking about how their copies were all messed up as well...and that set was only $80. $175 seems fine with me, like I said I will buy it, but there will be hell to pay if it's as messed up as the Red Rocks vinyl.
    Probably all LP60 owners. My buddy had loads of skips on his copy, brought it over to my place and zero skips on my Goldring GR-2.

No idea what digifunk is, I have two copies of RR95 and they play flawlessly, great mastering, great cut and press.
    Old 07-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #574
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    Probably all LP60 owners. My buddy had loads of skips on his copy, brought it over to my place and zero skips on my Goldring GR-2.

No idea what digifunk is, I have two copies of RR95 and they play flawlessly, great mastering, great cut and press.
    Both RSD and WH/DMB Store RR95 play fine on my Debut Carbon.

Played the black RR95 on my old ATLP60 to test it and it skips.

That's probably what it is, cheap tables
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2017, 07:12 PM   #575
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    You think so?

If they'd sold out instantly/crashed the site, I'd say for sure. But you can still buy one right now if you want one. That's telling me people are already balking at the $180 price point.

Granted, it's only open to WH members at the moment, but I figured there were enough members to knock out 2,500 pretty quickly if they were going to be that hot of a commodity. Don't the first pressings of the album or LT vinyl sell out on WH pretty quickly with similar runs?

I don't follow vinyl like I do posters... so I really don't know.
    LT 5 was up in the warehouse store for a bit, and I think that was only 2,000 copies. I remember LT 2-4 being fairly easy to get through the warehouse as well and those generally sell for $50 over list when sealed.

My guess is this will go pretty quick tomorrow once it is publicly available and the flippers can get in without paying for a membership. 2,500 copies isn't a lot for vinyl, especially for a band as big as DMB during what is probably the height of the vinyl boom. It's less than reportedly was pressed for the silver Red Rocks. LT 2 on black vinyl is probably a good case study for this. I think there were 2,000 of those pressed.

https://www.discogs.com/Dave-Matthew...elease/5178301

Plus for those LT box sets, there are color variants and black, meaning there's more total copies if you are indifferent to color. So with this being (assumedly) hard capped at 2,500 I'd assume this ends up going for $100-$150 about retail after a year or so on the secondary market.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

This
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2017, 07:21 PM   #576
    DMBlunts

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I have an AT-LP120...it's not a crazy awesome turntable but it's not in a suitcase either.

I have plenty of brand new vinyl and none of them do what that RSD RR set does.

The digifunk I am referring to is like jarbled audio, like tracking issues on a VHS.

As for the Reddit sub, just Google "dmb red rocks vinyl skipping" and it's the first thing on there I believe.

Besides, for whatever reason DMB has not had a glorious history for quality vinyl releases outside of the LT series. I will buy it tomorrow if I can, but I'll beware.

Last edited by DMBlunts; 07-11-2017 at 07:22 PM.
    DMBlunts is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #577
    mrussel1

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt630 View Post
    I have to ask, only because I don't know and am curious, why isn't it the Project Debut Carbon is something people like so much more than the U-Turn? I'm not discounting the advice, just wondering why when the reading/research I've done doesn't seem to suggest it is in any way so far above the U-Turn. Again, not being argumentative just asking why or what I'm missing. Thanks!
    For me, I really liked having a carbon tonearm which you don't find at this price point. The carbon makes the tonearm much stiffer and more stable on the record. I'm pretty sure the stock platter on the U-turn is just MDF whereas the Pro-ject has a stock metal platter which some people like even more than acrylic. It will certainly be more durable than MDF.
    Last, I think there is just more confidence in the Pro-Ject brand. They have been around for a long time and have a great reputation. The Debut Carbon is manufactured in the same place as the Music Hall MMF 5.3 which is twice as expensive. The TT's are very similar in design. The U-Turn is pretty new. It raised its capital publicly. It's a great brand thus far, but still new.

I'm sure you would be perfectly happy with either. Once you upgrade the platter past MDF and get an Ortofon blue or red, are the prices that far apart?

One thing I would not do is get the built in pre-amp. Your integrated amp may have one already but either way, I would not buy one with the amp built in. I'm a big believer in reducing the circuitry in your TT...fewer parts the better. And then of course if it breaks, you're fucked.
    mrussel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2017, 07:24 PM   #578
    camptravisr
    Numbered Beats

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I emailed the WH asking if the vinyl comes with a digital download, since I am very interested in hearing the selections, but don't own a record player. I just received a response:

"Hello Travis,

At this time, the DMB Live 25 does not come with a download for digital content. We understand that this is something that members desire. We are looking into it and thank you for your patience and sincerely appreciate your enthusiasm."
    camptravisr is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2017, 07:41 PM   #579
    Toast and Jelly

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Will give these all a listen when someone posts each track on YouTube along with a pixelated image of an old dmb rolling stone cover superimposed over a tiedye backdrop
    Toast and Jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2017, 07:58 PM   #580
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by camptravisr View Post
    I emailed the WH asking if the vinyl comes with a digital download, since I am very interested in hearing the selections, but don't own a record player. I just received a response:

"Hello Travis,

At this time, the DMB Live 25 does not come with a download for digital content. We understand that this is something that members desire. We are looking into it and thank you for your patience and sincerely appreciate your enthusiasm."
    wow what a joke.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #581
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrussel1 View Post
    For me, I really liked having a carbon tonearm which you don't find at this price point. The carbon makes the tonearm much stiffer and more stable on the record. I'm pretty sure the stock platter on the U-turn is just MDF whereas the Pro-ject has a stock metal platter which some people like even more than acrylic. It will certainly be more durable than MDF.
    Last, I think there is just more confidence in the Pro-Ject brand. They have been around for a long time and have a great reputation. The Debut Carbon is manufactured in the same place as the Music Hall MMF 5.3 which is twice as expensive. The TT's are very similar in design. The U-Turn is pretty new. It raised its capital publicly. It's a great brand thus far, but still new.

I'm sure you would be perfectly happy with either. Once you upgrade the platter past MDF and get an Ortofon blue or red, are the prices that far apart?

One thing I would not do is get the built in pre-amp. Your integrated amp may have one already but either way, I would not buy one with the amp built in. I'm a big believer in reducing the circuitry in your TT...fewer parts the better. And then of course if it breaks, you're fucked.
    There's a big jump in quality between the U-Turn Orbit and a Debut Carbon for sure. (As there should be, as you're talking about a $400 table vs a $180 table.) Not knocking the U-Turn for what it is - if you're on a really tight budget, you absolutely cannot do better at that price point. But the advantages to the Carbon vs the Orbit are many - carbon fiber tonearm, prefitted with a $90 2M Red cartridge, the built in DC power supply for additional speed stability (this is something that was added to the stock Carbon within the last couple of years - the earlier models didn't have it - you could buy the Pro-Ject Speed Box which basically did the same thing and was about $100, so that's another $100 upgrade while the price point is still at $399.) You simply cannot do better for $400. Add an acrylic platter and upgrade the cartridge to a 2M Blue or Black over time and you've got a table that is going to rival tables in the $1000-$1500 range.

For a bit of a "real world" example, a close friend of mine bought a U-Turn Orbit as his first turntable last year. He really liked it, but he came across an opportunity to get a Carbon really cheap (like under $300) and at my urging he pulled the trigger. He said within seconds of dropping the needle on the first album he could tell the difference in sound quality from the U-Turn like night and day, he was blown away.

Again, not knocking the U-Turn for what it is - at $180 it is far and away the best turntable you can get in that price range, but head to head against the Carbon is doesn't stack up.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #582
    lilant420

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    The re sale value of these 2500 presses will be astronomical
    I tend to doubt that.
    lilant420 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2017, 08:18 PM   #583
    camptravisr
    Numbered Beats

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    wow what a joke.
    Yeah, Cookie cutter customer service response, but I'm surprised they gave that info. No digital download... anyone else email the WH and hear back?
    camptravisr is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2017, 08:21 PM   #584
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, Cookie cutter customer service response, but I'm surprised they gave that info. No digital download... anyone else email the WH and hear back?
    That response made it sound like they will come around and end up emailing it out after the fact, probably when the files go on sale.

Just amazing how they didn't think it was something that should've automatically came with it.

RLM/MT will never fully get it right.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2017, 08:21 PM   #585
    matt630

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMB Live 25 - 5LP Vinyl (18

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrussel1 View Post

The custom U-Turn I had built for myself had an acrylic platter, an ortofon 2M blue, I added the cue lever and an external Pluto preamp and the cost was $594.

I'm looking at a Debut Carbon Espirit which also has the acrylic platter that has been upgraded with the 2M blue but no preamp for $793 online right now.

I guess my thinking was the blue cartridge and from what I've read a decent external preamp made the U-Turn a pretty decent option even compared to the Debut Carbon with the 2M red (lower cartridge, yes?) and no external preamp.

Seriously appreciating all the advice and input. Maybe I won't go wrong either way, but I certainly don't want to look to upgrade again for a little while.

Anyone wanna buy a very well looked after AT LP-120? Lol

My Tour Stats
    matt630 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2017, 08:32 PM   #586
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

So, when is this actually being released? I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere yet...
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2017, 08:46 PM   #587
    Floyd47

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Does it mention anywhere how many pages the book is?
    Old 07-11-2017, 09:39 PM   #588
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilant420 View Post
    I tend to doubt that.
    All these limited editions always go for high prices on eBay.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2017, 10:00 PM   #589
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    Again, nobody's actually "pissed off" about this.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coachman76 View Post
    I won't buy it in any format. It has way too many "Fuck you, Fans" songs that in no way shape or form deserve to be included in a retrospective like this.

Namely; A Dream So Real, Snow Outside, Falling Off The Roof, Break For It and What You Are. There are several other tracks which are arbitrary to me that while not necessarily "Fuck you, Fans" level, are questionable at best.

This is just a cash grab for people who are too cool for digital and it makes Dave seem even more elitist, out of touch and tone deaf to the wants, needs and realities of the core of their fan base.

Fuck this band.
    There goes that theory
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-12-2017, 02:55 AM   #590
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 View Post
    There goes that theory
    Not to side with Hilly or anything, but coachman is a bad example. The only things he ever posts are overly angry rants about any and everything DMB related. He's a little nutty.
    Old 07-12-2017, 03:44 AM   #591
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Too cool for digital when the source material is digital?
    Old 07-12-2017, 03:44 AM   #592
    kingofkings
    bigeyedfisher

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

"Hello Travis,

lol. I will never understand why they do the things they do.
    kingofkings is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-12-2017, 03:51 AM   #593
    BrettG19DMBFan

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheStone91 View Post
    So, when is this actually being released? I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere yet...
    Ships on, or around, July 28th. So a couple weeks.
    BrettG19DMBFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-12-2017, 03:55 AM   #594
    BrettG19DMBFan

Shows Seen: 33

My Tour Central Stats

I actually skipped emailing the warehouse, and emailed Red Light Management directly and expect not to hear back.. ever.

Just asked some general questions about the release and about it's potential for hitting digitally or on CD.
    BrettG19DMBFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-12-2017, 04:12 AM   #595
    kingofkings
    bigeyedfisher

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrettG19DMBFan View Post
    Ships on, or around, July 28th. So a couple weeks.
    Same day as the new Arcade Fire album
    Old 07-12-2017, 04:12 AM   #596
    kingofkings
    bigeyedfisher

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrettG19DMBFan View Post
    I actually skipped emailing the warehouse, and emailed Red Light Management directly and expect not to hear back.. ever.

Just asked some general questions about the release and about it's potential for hitting digitally or on CD.
    I just emailed them.
    Old 07-12-2017, 04:27 AM   #597
    kingofkings
    bigeyedfisher

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thedak View Post
    Def dig the turntable.

My new piece since we are showing

Pro-Ject 2Xperience Sgt Pepper's Limited Edition

#37 of 99 in US

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4289/3...890241bf_c.jpg
    like the shine on box set set up
    Old 07-12-2017, 05:09 AM   #598
    Cami

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

I'm really indecisive to get this or not... no record player (yet) and the price (£200 shipped to the UK) make me want to skip it, but the book, being a limited edition and knowing that if I do decided to get it a later stage will be hard or more expensive make me want to get it!!
    I've had it in my cart 2 or 3 times... need to make a decision soon!!
    Cami is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-12-2017, 05:17 AM   #599
    chrisjuniper

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cami View Post
    I'm really indecisive to get this or not... no record player (yet) and the price (£200 shipped to the UK) make me want to skip it, but the book, being a limited edition and knowing that if I do decided to get it a later stage will be hard or more expensive make me want to get it!!
    I've had it in my cart 2 or 3 times... need to make a decision soon!!
    just do it, if you change your mind i imagine you'll easily be able to get your money back selling it.
    chrisjuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-12-2017, 05:20 AM   #600
    darkfwank

Shows Seen: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMB Live 25 - 5LP Vinyl (18

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt630 View Post
    The custom U-Turn I had built for myself had an acrylic platter, an ortofon 2M blue, I added the cue lever and an external Pluto preamp and the cost was $594.

I'm looking at a Debut Carbon Espirit which also has the acrylic platter that has been upgraded with the 2M blue but no preamp for $793 online right now.

I guess my thinking was the blue cartridge and from what I've read a decent external preamp made the U-Turn a pretty decent option even compared to the Debut Carbon with the 2M red (lower cartridge, yes?) and no external preamp.

Seriously appreciating all the advice and input. Maybe I won't go wrong either way, but I certainly don't want to look to upgrade again for a little while.

Anyone wanna buy a very well looked after AT LP-120? Lol
    I'm thinking about building the same exact U-Turn. Special with 2m blue, acrylic platter, and the lever. I can't pull the trigger though. I don't know. I have a bunch of records with no player yet because I'm taking such a long time to decide what I want. I'm also thinking about getting a Rega P1. Dammit I really cannot decide. Only thing I know I want is the Blue 2M. I hear it blows the red away and that the red really isn't a good cartridge. I'll be deciding forever =)
    darkfwank is offline   Reply With Quote