New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 652 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 10-06-2022, 10:16 AM   #19531
grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by btpeters View Post
I think one of the Crash complaints from the longtimers back then was the album was too electric, especially on Cry Freedom.
On further thinking I'm laughing thinking of early DMB having Newport Jazz Fest "Judas" moment, as if they'd established himself a preeminent acoustic folk singer/songwriter jamband. Hysterical.

The sound of the electric on Cry Freedom is what gives this amazing song its power. That sound and its feeling are not something that they could pull from an acoustic. And when it stops and it's just his voice, Carter, Fonz, and Boyd...absolutely stellar. Then you just welcome it back.

People will complain about anything.
grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-06-2022, 10:16 AM   #19532
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Crash is my favorite album from a sonic standpoint. Love the sound of buzzy chet.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-06-2022, 10:26 AM   #19533
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    On further thinking I'm laughing thinking of early DMB having Newport Jazz Fest "Judas" moment, as if they'd established himself a preeminent acoustic folk singer/songwriter jamband. Hysterical.

The sound of the electric on Cry Freedom is what gives this amazing song its power. That sound and its feeling are not something that they could pull from an acoustic. And when it stops and it's just his voice, Carter, Fonz, and Boyd...absolutely stellar. Then you just welcome it back.

People will complain about anything.

Eh I feel like if I really connect with a certain album by any artist and then the next thing they do has a musical element I'm not a fan of I'd probably not like it. For example, if Amos Lee followed up his self-titled album with something that had organ all over it, which I hate, I'd comment about it accordingly on a fan site discussing it.

Talking generally, I love Crash
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-06-2022, 12:18 PM   #19534
    great_divide_4

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Cry Freedom on the album is beautiful
    great_divide_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-06-2022, 12:23 PM   #19535
    aircavmike

Shows Seen: 250

DMB Hub Stubs: 38

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Imagine so jaded as a fan that you'd let yourself already define the band and be disappointed by their SECOND album.

It really seems that this band somehow engendered a fanbase that had never previously obsessed over music or other artists and had zero perception of how bands naturally evolve and grow. How it's a journey for them and their fans...

Again, they are an excellent band, but outside of certain aspects of their sound, most of what they done and experienced is more common than not, especially if you reach their level of success and longevity.

Most of those Crash songs were around since the start of the band 5 years earlier so people were used to what they had heard since the band started performing those songs
    aircavmike is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-06-2022, 01:07 PM   #19536
    NewOrleans

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Do you remember what the main complaints about it were? I'm genuinely curious, didn't know it was complained about at the time
    The complaint was the album was "too produced" and Tim's clean guitar tone was overly dominant vs Daves acoustic guitar. As great as the album is, it's not the same live DMB sound that the fans were used to. I think Lillywhite did it to get some radio play, awards, give it some more "meat" as he would say.
    NewOrleans is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-06-2022, 01:08 PM   #19537
    NewOrleans

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speilmen230 View Post
    Crash is my favorite album from a sonic standpoint. Love the sound of buzzy chet.
    Don't think he played the Chet in the studio.
    Old 10-06-2022, 01:10 PM   #19538
    NewOrleans

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alpine416 View Post
    This is exactly why it is so stupid that DMB is so bad at just putting their music out there. They know people listen to their live music and have embraced it actually so there is no build up to the reveal of new music yet they still can't get it out the door. There is no reason why they couldn't have a supplemental "from the vault" series where they clean up some studio productions of old unreleased songs and put it out with a live trax featuring those tracks. Sell it bundled with the live trax and that shit would go like hotcakes and get their studio work out there. Instead we sit on our hands and wait for years for mediocre products like CT.
    100% agree. There are so many really great performances of officially unreleased songs. I don't think anyone would mind if they came in and cleaned them up, added overdubs with the intent of making a compilation of "live"/not live songs.

Grateful Dead did this on Europe 72. It sounds like a studio record. No fans noise really. They took the best songs from that tour, went back to the studio and added in parts, mixed it and edited it, and it's one of their best albums ever.
    Old 10-06-2022, 01:12 PM   #19539
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewOrleans View Post
    Grateful Dead did this on Europe 72. It sounds like a studio record. No fans noise really. They took the best songs from that tour, went back to the studio and added in parts, mixed it and edited it, and it's one of their best albums ever.

You mean ... like Idea of You?

kidding
    Old 10-06-2022, 01:25 PM   #19540
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Don't think he played the Chet in the studio.
    He hadn't switched to Martin yet, what guitar would it have been?
    Old 10-06-2022, 01:28 PM   #19541
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Wasn't his progression something along the lines of Chet, Lakewood, Martin?
    Old 10-06-2022, 01:56 PM   #19542
    blumathu

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Wasn't his progression something along the lines of Chet, Lakewood, Martin?
    It is rare for musicians to use an acoustic pickup in the studio. They almost always mic their acoustic guitar. So even when he the Chet was his standard for live gigs, it normally wasn't used in the studio because you can't really mic the Chet.

The acoustic at the beginning of SMTS is likely a Lakewood guitar with a microphone pointed at it.

However, Lillywhite tried something unconventional with Crash. He tried using the acoustic pickups, and he plugged them into electric guitar amps. Very unusual.

I don't know which guitar Dave used when Steve suggested that trick. Could have been the Chet. Maybe the Lakewood had a pickup and he used that? Not sure.
    blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-06-2022, 02:15 PM   #19543
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

I hear the pickup amplified tone the most on 41. I know that Tim is on there too, left side, but the main riff is either a heavily produced acoustic guitar or an electric/acoustic.
    Old 10-06-2022, 03:42 PM   #19544
    Slackdoodle

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The complaint was the album was "too produced" and Tim's clean guitar tone was overly dominant vs Daves acoustic guitar. As great as the album is, it's not the same live DMB sound that the fans were used to. I think Lillywhite did it to get some radio play, awards, give it some more "meat" as he would say.

Yep, I remember this reaction from folks back in the day. There was a guy with a site called "Bluewater Baboon Farm" and he just tore Crash to pieces, track-by-track, as if it were some travesty. Hilarious to think back on, now.
    Slackdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-06-2022, 06:01 PM   #19545
    NightShadow577

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

alright, can somebody here explain this to me. so, i have amazon music, that’s how i listen to my music. i have an extended version of UTTAD, which contains an studio version of granny. this is why i’ve been a skeptic on granny getting released on a studio album, but i was wondering if someone can explain why it’s on an extended version, or give me general information on the topic.
    NightShadow577 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-06-2022, 06:08 PM   #19546
    DMBCardinal

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I believe they included Granny for the 20th anniversary addition.
    DMBCardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-06-2022, 07:48 PM   #19547
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aircavmike View Post
    Most of those Crash songs were around since the start of the band 5 years earlier so people were used to what they had heard since the band started performing those songs
    Again, the art and artists evolve. They clearly wanted to tweak things and did. Being so myopic as a fan that they think they know what's best or right remains hysterical to me.

I remember when Crash and BTCS were released and we just let the music wash over us and were blown away. The continued upward trajectory of the group was mind blowing. tLWS continued it, but ED was just stilted. And despite the greatness of tLWS, Busted Stuff was incredible for us only to be followed by Some Devil.

The anomalies that are ED and SU are mind-blowing when comparing them to the rest of the catalog. Again, though I give SU more credit for at least being a real band project. People complain about the solo Dave tunes or tunes that they think feel like solo Dave stuff, but SD is as good an album as Dave has ever released, while ED is arguably as bad an album...to its core for me, as most of those songs bring no joy...not even live.

This band is still at its best when they work together on the music. But as SU showed, even that process is no guarantee of a good album. The core remains Dave and his tunes. I still have faith in both, we're all mostly just smart enough to not assume that whatever they release will be great.

FULL double album!

I demand it!

Full entitlement, NOW!
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-06-2022, 07:57 PM   #19548
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Again, the art and artists evolve. They clearly wanted to tweak things and did. Being so myopic as a fan that they think they know what's best or right remains hysterical to me.

The anomalies that are ED and SU are mind-blowing when comparing them to the rest of the catalog. Again, though I give SU more credit for at least being a real band project.

This band is still at its best when they work together on the music.

Old 10-07-2022, 03:03 AM   #19549
    jwrice5

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I remember when Crash and BTCS were released and we just let the music wash over us and were blown away. The continued upward trajectory of the group was mind blowing. tLWS continued it, but ED was just stilted. And despite the greatness of tLWS, Busted Stuff was incredible for us only to be followed by Some Devil.

The anomalies that are ED and SU are mind-blowing when comparing them to the rest of the catalog. Again, though I give SU more credit for at least being a real band project. People complain about the solo Dave tunes or tunes that they think feel like solo Dave stuff, but SD is as good an album as Dave has ever released, while ED is arguably as bad an album...to its core for me, as most of those songs bring no joy...not even live.

This band is still at its best when they work together on the music. But as SU showed, even that process is no guarantee of a good album. The core remains Dave and his tunes. I still have faith in both, we're all mostly just smart enough to not assume that whatever they release will be great.

FULL double album!

I demand it!

Full entitlement, NOW!

I agree that Some Devil is fantastic, but ED has aged very well, IMO, whereas SU has sucked ass from day one… and continues to suck ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jwrice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-07-2022, 05:36 AM   #19550
    blumathu

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NightShadow577 View Post
    alright, can somebody here explain this to me. so, i have amazon music, that’s how i listen to my music. i have an extended version of UTTAD, which contains an studio version of granny. this is why i’ve been a skeptic on granny getting released on a studio album, but i was wondering if someone can explain why it’s on an extended version, or give me general information on the topic.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBCardinal View Post
    I believe they included Granny for the 20th anniversary addition.
    Indeed yes. Granny was recorded for UTTAD and even considered as a single, but in the end it didn't really fit so it didn't make the album at all. The 20th anniversary edition added it as a bonus.
    Old 10-07-2022, 06:46 AM   #19551
    dt129700

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I may be in the minority, but I'm kind of over "albums" from this band. The song selection and song order has been a disappointment for almost the past two decades. Other than putting it on vinyl, what's the point of packaging all this together? What's the point of jumping the shark every 3-5 years on anticipation/hype just to slow drip drain the excitement from one of the most loyal fanbases in music history, so that by the time the thing finally comes out, there's barely anything to surprise us, or make us think. I remember spending hours trying to figure out what was being done musically on some of the songs from the Big 3/4. I spent many more hours unpacking some of those lyrics.

By the times the studio recordings get to us these days, the songs have lost all of that new car smell. It's just not the best way to consume/experience art in 2022.

At this point, just give us a new studio song every month or so. They have enough vault material to do this for many years. Heck, if they really want to put them on an album at some point, just package them together for re-release the way the Beatles did with their early single-era collection.

I think more than anything, just keeping the fanbase alive (and not going through the motions) should be the priority. Give us a new event to discuss and a new studio song to have opinions about on a regular basis. That would be so rejuvenating for these boards and the DMB faithful. I know we get that on song debuts on tours -- but imagine if that live debut coincided with a minor release of that studio song and a band released HQ audio of the live debut of the song. I'd eat that up. Take my money.
    dt129700 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-07-2022, 07:12 AM   #19552
    stlbluespower
    DMB 2012

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
    Indeed yes. Granny was recorded for UTTAD and even considered as a single, but in the end it didn't really fit so it didn't make the album at all. The 20th anniversary edition added it as a bonus.
    I hardly ever understand it when I hear a song doesn't "fit" an album. It's not really like UTTAD, or any of DMB's albums, are concept albums, or consistently thematic, to make this argument, IMO. The same with Cigarette Lit and the Some Devil album. How did Stay ever make BTCS?
    stlbluespower is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-07-2022, 07:16 AM   #19553
    Aforauer

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Someone named “Dubs” on TDC said his source said the album is dropping 11/4. Probably as useless as every other rumor, but food for thought

Aforauer is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-07-2022, 07:18 AM   #19554
    Alpine416

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dt129700 View Post
    I may be in the minority, but I'm kind of over "albums" from this band. The song selection and song order has been a disappointment for almost the past two decades. Other than putting it on vinyl, what's the point of packaging all this together? What's the point of jumping the shark every 3-5 years on anticipation/hype just to slow drip drain the excitement from one of the most loyal fanbases in music history, so that by the time the thing finally comes out, there's barely anything to surprise us, or make us think. I remember spending hours trying to figure out what was being done musically on some of the songs from the Big 3/4. I spent many more hours unpacking some of those lyrics.

By the times the studio recordings get to us these days, the songs have lost all of that new car smell. It's just not the best way to consume/experience art in 2022.

At this point, just give us a new studio song every month or so. They have enough vault material to do this for many years. Heck, if they really want to put them on an album at some point, just package them together for re-release the way the Beatles did with their early single-era collection.

I think more than anything, just keeping the fanbase alive (and not going through the motions) should be the priority. Give us a new event to discuss and a new studio song to have opinions about on a regular basis. That would be so rejuvenating for these boards and the DMB faithful. I know we get that on song debuts on tours -- but imagine if that live debut coincided with a minor release of that studio song and a band released HQ audio of the live debut of the song. I'd eat that up. Take my money.
    Posted this yesterday but some of your ideas are similar:

"From the vault trax" 3-5 supplement (kinda like they have already done with encore trax) with studio recordings released with a live trax. You can probably find a live show that features all/most of the songs included then you get studio releases to parallel them. Sign me up.

Instead here we are waiting for some obscure date when no other relevant act is doing anything so they can keep the #1 streak going for what will probably be another CT-esque effort.
    Alpine416 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-07-2022, 07:19 AM   #19555
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stlbluespower View Post
    I hardly ever understand it when I hear a song doesn't "fit" an album. It's not really like UTTAD, or any of DMB's albums, are concept albums, or consistently thematic, to make this argument, IMO. The same with Cigarette Lit and the Some Devil album. How did Stay ever make BTCS?

I get where you are coming from and agree to an extent but the placement of Stay is pretty ideal I think, it benefitted from having something light and fun where it was. Having a run of Last Stop, DDTW, Halloween, Stone while an insane run of songwriting doesn't have a ton of separation in terms of feel and emotion.
    Old 10-07-2022, 07:30 AM   #19556
    blumathu

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stlbluespower View Post
    Not sure exactly but I'm glad it was cut because I am not a fan of the studio version. Maybe they thought the same after listening back?
    Old 10-07-2022, 07:36 AM   #19557
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Also, I imagine when they were working on BTCS, they envisioned Stay having very good radio single/music video potential. So it likely wasn't going anywhere. And...it 100% fits that album. There's that lovely little interlude before it an DDTW...and Stay is the perfect follow up for it.

Help Myself is the song that they scratched from BTCS. Legend goes, Halloween was supposed to go to the Scream 2 soundtrack, but they liked the recording so much, they decided on it and not Help Myself to be on BTCS. There has been some questioning of what exactly happened in recent years, but it was story (as told by Lillywhite too)for like 20 years.

Last edited by btpeters; 10-07-2022 at 07:37 AM.
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-07-2022, 08:52 AM   #19558
    theflower

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aforauer View Post
    Someone named “Dubs” on TDC said his source said the album is dropping 11/4. Probably as useless as every other rumor, but food for thought

don't know dubs from the next guy but my god would that be out of left field at this point. seems so unlikely.
    theflower is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-07-2022, 09:07 AM   #19559
    Aforauer

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by theflower View Post
    don't know dubs from the next guy but my god would that be out of left field at this point. seems so unlikely.

Yeah no shot it’s true. Too soon

Aforauer is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-07-2022, 10:42 AM   #19560
    NightShadow577

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    <div class="pre-quote">
    Quote de <strong>theflower</strong>
    </div>

<div class="post-quote">
    <div style="font-style:italic">don't know dubs from the next guy but my god would that be out of left field at this point. seems so unlikely.</div>
    </div><br>
    Yeah no shot it’s true. Too soon<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    i’m thinking maybe a release at earliest in january. november is entirely too early from what i think
    NightShadow577 is offline   Reply With Quote