New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 956 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-31-2023, 07:27 AM   #28651
anthonysoscia

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming in Four Months!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehrSmith View Post
Haha yeah I wrote the same thing without seeing your post. Do you think since the band axed that powerful ending to Break Free it could have been turned into it’s own song once again ???
I don’t think it’s any deeper than them wanting to mix it up and feature Buddy.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-31-2023, 07:55 AM   #28652
    bibby1044

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Let’s look at the song sweet. Sweet at the time did not belong on AFTW. It was a Dave solo that for that album they included the band. Funny thing is I actually really enjoy the band on it especially Boyd’s work. But they don’t play on more than half the song and when it ends it’s like damn why didn’t they just do the song that way and left me wanting and imaging what the band could’ve done with it.

Fast forward to 2022 and the newly added sweet jam with buddy and Tim and it immediately turned it into a highlight for me and a full band song no less. I still think the band should come in sooner but now the ending is enough for me to swallow that. It’s the reason I love this band. Imagine if they captured something like that in the studio. Now every song jam obviously can’t be captured in the studio and happens years of playing on the road. But majority should be experimented with to add instrumental sections because that opens the song up for space down the road. This is what’s been missing with the more recent tunes. Maybe the new ones we haven’t heard will have that but the song lengths suggest not.

If they could capture music like the sweet jam on softer tunes in the studio I’d be thrilled. They just need to let songs have a chance and capture it in the studio.
    bibby1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2023, 07:59 AM   #28653
    RainDog1980

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

People are expecting a bad album based on the band’s “track record”, but also have hope that they’ll pull out a “Taylor 3am” version, something they’ve never historically done? It took 20 year anniversaries to get reissues with some bonus stuff… and only UTTAD had that.

And people will be mad/disappointed when it doesn’t happen.
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2023, 08:06 AM   #28654
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RainDog1980 View Post
    People are expecting a bad album based on the band’s “track record”, but also have hope that they’ll pull out a “Taylor 3am” version, something they’ve never historically done? It took 20 year anniversaries to get reissues with some bonus stuff… and only UTTAD had that.

I agree with you it's most likely not gonna happen, but don't forget about the Little Red Bird EP. I think that counts!
    Old 01-31-2023, 08:07 AM   #28655
    hopewelljones

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

I’m already pissed about how bad their NEXT album is! This is an issue guys.
    Old 01-31-2023, 08:24 AM   #28656
    FSUnTwoStepToo

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

It's been one week. This is going to be a long 4 months.
    FSUnTwoStepToo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2023, 08:26 AM   #28657
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bibby1044 View Post
    Let’s look at the song sweet. Sweet at the time did not belong on AFTW. It was a Dave solo that for that album they included the band. Funny thing is I actually really enjoy the band on it especially Boyd’s work. But they don’t play on more than half the song and when it ends it’s like damn why didn’t they just do the song that way and left me wanting and imaging what the band could’ve done with it.

Fast forward to 2022 and the newly added sweet jam with buddy and Tim and it immediately turned it into a highlight for me and a full band song no less. I still think the band should come in sooner but now the ending is enough for me to swallow that. It’s the reason I love this band. Imagine if they captured something like that in the studio. Now every song jam obviously can’t be captured in the studio and happens years of playing on the road. But majority should be experimented with to add instrumental sections because that opens the song up for space down the road. This is what’s been missing with the more recent tunes. Maybe the new ones we haven’t heard will have that but the song lengths suggest not.

If they could capture music like the sweet jam on softer tunes in the studio I’d be thrilled. They just need to let songs have a chance and capture it in the studio.
    This is a very reasonable perspective, and I agree.
    Old 01-31-2023, 08:27 AM   #28658
    hopewelljones

My Tour Central Stats

Is anyone else just straight up excited for the album? I am. I’m stoked to hear some new music. And “new music” includes studio cuts of the songs we’ve heard played live.
    Old 01-31-2023, 08:27 AM   #28659
    jaymas9

My Tour Central Stats

They absolutely will not release the equivalent of a Taylor Swift, 3AM version. I'm assuming anyone saying that is just for fun discussion and not an actual expectation.
    Old 01-31-2023, 08:28 AM   #28660
    jaymas9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hopewelljones View Post
    Is anyone else just straight up excited for the album? I am. I’m stoked to hear some new music. And “new music” includes studio cuts of the songs we’ve heard played live.
    Yeah, I love hearing new music from my favorite bands. I also have very high hopes for the studio cut of Walk Around the Moon.
    Old 01-31-2023, 08:29 AM   #28661
    Vorony

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alpine416 View Post
    The naivety of people that keep getting burned by their lofty expectations of the alum now thinking they will just drop a 2nd album of deep cuts with it in May

These some people probably can't figure out how they keep getting roped into their friends MLM companies cuz "they just seemed like a good deal at the time!"
    Just like they’ll announce a fantasy bonus CD with this album “down the road”. If they planned on including a bonus CD with this release, it would have been announced with the preorder packages - since the goal is to maximize the amount of preorders up front. There’s zero incentive for them to announce a bonus CD after the album release. But people are still holding on to that one too.
    Vorony is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2023, 08:30 AM   #28662
    hopewelljones

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaymas9 View Post
    Yeah, I love hearing new music from my favorite bands. I also have very high hopes for the studio cut of Walk Around the Moon.
    I can’t wrap my head around being so upset and pessimistic about a band releasing an album.
    Old 01-31-2023, 08:31 AM   #28663
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Preach.

Proudest monkey did that and it’s my personal favorite studio track of theirs.
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2023, 08:31 AM   #28664
    bibby1044

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RainDog1980 View Post

So I’m probably being roped into the bad album camp which I think we can discuss a bit.

I don’t think it will be “bad”. I think it will be good. However will it feel like a band album or a Dave solo album. Because I want a great full band album. I’d be thrilled with a solid full band effort. But the issue comes in when it’s a half band half solo album because that’s what lead to CT. A jumbled mess with no flow without featuring the musicianship we know they possess.

Album can still be good from a 100 foot view. But it might not feel like a band album which is sort of a separate category at this point. Non band albums have a bit more leeway where we can just focus on Dave. Bring the band in and I’m expecting them to utilize them otherwise what’s the point right?

The good news is if it’s good music regardless that’s the priority whether it’s what I wanted or not and I’ll accept it but I still might have questions and complaints because I know what could be if they just make some different decisions.

I think that’s fair way to look at it.

I also think it’s fair to want answers of why an album was mentioned 3 years ago and then we get half a solo half band album if that scenario plays out. Perfectly reasonable when they take all my money because I refuse to leave this abusive relationship .
    Old 01-31-2023, 08:35 AM   #28665
    Alpine416

Shows Seen: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I can’t wrap my head around being so upset and pessimistic about a band releasing an album.
    You can't wrap your head around a lot of things.
    Alpine416 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2023, 08:35 AM   #28666
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Will be in a few months, and any additional singles along the way
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2023, 08:36 AM   #28667
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Fast forward to 2022 and the newly added sweet jam with buddy and Tim and it immediately turned it into a highlight for me and a full band song no less.
    I guess if we're lucky, Something to tell my Baby will get a new jam in 2033 then!

Quote:
    Big if. They've definitely leaned toward truncating in the studio over the last few sessions. I think the worry is that they just won't "let songs have a chance" to be captured like that in studio
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2023, 08:39 AM   #28668
    bibby1044

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
    Preach.

Proudest monkey did that and it’s my personal favorite studio track of theirs.
    It’s a great example.

Proudest monkey, snow outside, mercy all songs that feature THE BAND on a repetitive Dave riff that are well done in the studio with instrumental sections on a naturally quiet tune. Anyone can argue about mercy and their qualms with it but it features the band and makes it a full band song. I can even include let you down, pay for what you get, lover lay down, etc. the list goes on.

Argument for pay for what you get is clear intricate work by Carter along with Roi actually being involved. Think how boring it would be without roi here. Please tell Jeff to subtly fill songs in more. Please.

I honestly don’t know most of those songs ever become more than ideas or full band without Steve which is kind of sad to say and I’m not one to be a lillywhite snob but there’s a track record.
    Old 01-31-2023, 08:39 AM   #28669
    Alpine416

My Tour Central Stats

Am I excited to hear the album? Yes

Have I predetermined I will like or dislike the music without hearing it? No

Have they already shown they've made some mixed decisions with the album just based on what songs they've included, runtimes, etc.? Yes
    Old 01-31-2023, 08:42 AM   #28670
    bibby1044

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    I guess if we're lucky, Something to tell my Baby will get a new jam in 2033 then!

Big if. They've definitely leaned toward truncating in the studio over the last few sessions. I think the worry is that they just won't "let songs have a chance" to be captured like that in studio
    not sure STTMB qualifies as something I want more of in its current form.

And I agree that’s the problem. It appears they aren’t even giving songs a chance to breathe and develop into more. It feels very everydayish process wise. Here’s your parts and that’s what you’re playing. I’d love to know if they even let Jeff have a stab of playing over a song throwing random ideas and fills in and pulling what works and what doesn’t. It’s the nuance that I’m looking for.
    Old 01-31-2023, 08:46 AM   #28671
    Fpuonpko

My Tour Central Stats

Today's update - Madman's Eyes jumps from #41 to #30 on the charts.

Top 50 AAA Radio Chart -

January 29th - #48 (debut day)
    January 30th - #41 (official radio adds day)
    January 31st - #30

Last edited by Fpuonpko; 01-31-2023 at 08:47 AM.
    Fpuonpko is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2023, 08:53 AM   #28672
    Alpine416

My Tour Central Stats

Now there is a target exclusive red vinyl

Very clear a lot of the delays were them securing these exclusive deals to sell different color vinyls of the album. Had to make sure they weren't leaving any color/brand combos on the table. Best part is some of the fans will get milked by it too, wanting to have every color
    Old 01-31-2023, 08:54 AM   #28673
    hopewelljones

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alpine416 View Post
    You can't wrap your head around a lot of things.

Keep telling people how much you don’t care.
    Old 01-31-2023, 08:56 AM   #28674
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It’s a great example.

Proudest monkey, snow outside, mercy all songs that feature THE BAND on a repetitive Dave riff that are well done in the studio with instrumental sections on a naturally quiet tune. Anyone can argue about mercy and their qualms with it but it features the band and makes it a full band song. I can even include let you down, pay for what you get, lover lay down, etc. the list goes on.

Argument for pay for what you get is clear intricate work by Carter along with Roi actually being involved. Think how boring it would be without roi here. Please tell Jeff to subtly fill songs in more. Please.

I honestly don’t know most of those songs ever become more than ideas or full band without Steve which is kind of sad to say and I’m not one to be a lillywhite snob but there’s a track record.

How do you feel about OATB?

I'm sure you've commented on this but I don't remember most of who says what
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2023, 08:57 AM   #28675
    BarkRock

My Tour Central Stats

Do you think Dave has direct knowledge that fans want specific songs on an album like Bismarck,,, break for it etc...?

I know he doesn't care, but do you think he knows?
    BarkRock is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2023, 09:04 AM   #28676
    jaymas9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think you're oversimplifying what is a good discussion for the most part.

I'm less excited than I was based on the track time situation because I believe they are at their best in any iteration not making songs like that, but my excitement dampening doesn't mean I'm not nor that I won't be wrong

It's not predetermining that I'm gonna hate it, it's just concern that's pretty valid.
    Old 01-31-2023, 09:08 AM   #28677
    jaymas9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post

Undoubtedly (looking at you Black and Blue Bird). Now we have what seems like super truncating, like by 1:30 to 2:30 minutes as a range.

Maybe it'll help that the songs were built to be like that from the beginning? Can't say for certain, but definitely not optimistic the best case scenario isn't "that was awesome, wish it were longer "
    Old 01-31-2023, 09:08 AM   #28678
    madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    The response to MME has been just about as positive as any other song they've done in recent years, especially the live version. It's also the most critical part of the fanbase.
    I think with the exception of STTMB, the reaction to all of the new songs has been, to varying degrees, extremely positive, perhaps the strongest group of new songs since 2004.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryrams02 View Post
    MME is the best thing they've released since YNK, LITHOG, Broken Things, and Snow Outside. I love the tune a lot, and I'm always crazy critical.
    Yeah, easily one of their best in the past 20 years, I think. I'll need more time with it to see how I'd rank it with Snow Outside, which is my #1 in that time frame, but it's definitely a very strong song both in the studio and live.
    madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2023, 09:12 AM   #28679
    madhatter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yup, absolutely. MME has been my favorite of the new songs, and they did great with it in the studio. Looking forward to the rest as well.
    Old 01-31-2023, 09:17 AM   #28680
    madhatter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fpuonpko View Post
    Today's update - Madman's Eyes jumps from #41 to #30 on the charts.

Top 50 AAA Radio Chart -

January 29th - #48 (debut day)
    January 30th - #41 (official radio adds day)
    January 31st - #30
    Nice. It'll be interesting to continue to follow that.