New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 1006 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 02-21-2023, 03:37 PM   #30151
madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming in Four Months!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slilly2321 View Post
I know I started going to shows later in the fandom than most…but I’ve been going to shows surrounding Big Whisky, Away From the World, Come Tomorrow and now this…I have literally never heard him say anything like this closest I’ve heard is him talking about a new song they’ve been playing
See, now my data-driven nerd brain wants to go check the tapes to see if/when he's done that leading up to an album. Would it be a good use if my time? No. Do I kinda want to know? You betcha!
madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-21-2023, 04:14 PM   #30152
    CapnHani06
    JMU Duuuuuuuuukes

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    See, now my data-driven nerd brain wants to go check the tapes to see if/when he's done that leading up to an album. Would it be a good use of my time? No. Do I kinda want to know? You betcha!
    - Sean
    CapnHani06 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2023, 04:25 PM   #30153
    Greykitkat41

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

99% of the people who went to D+T in Mexico are massive, hardcore fans. The average joe isn't going to drop that kind of money for that. Most of them know the tracklisting of the upcoming album, no need to promote it there. Almost everyone going is going to buy it
    Greykitkat41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2023, 04:35 PM   #30154
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    See, now my data-driven nerd brain wants to go check the tapes to see if/when he's done that leading up to an album. Would it be a good use if my time? No. Do I kinda want to know? You betcha!
    well I can tell you for certain Dave brought up Big Whiskey a TON whether on the tour, or in interviews. A lot of it was pre Why I Am. He really loved talking about that album. So you can at least skip those tapes!
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2023, 05:17 PM   #30155
    madhatter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 View Post
    well I can tell you for certain Dave brought up Big Whiskey a TON whether on the tour, or in interviews. A lot of it was pre Why I Am. He really loved talking about that album. So you can at least skip those tapes!
    Yeah, but let's also look at those songs: Three of them (FTWII, Why I Am, and Spaceman) debuted at MSG on April 14th, 2009, which was originally intended to be the album release show (and promoted as such) until the release was delayed about six weeks around Feb 18th, 2009. Rather than the album, they released FTWII as a single on April 14th.

Of the rest of the songs, 4 were played in the six weeks between April 14th and June 2nd: Squirm, Alligator Pie, Seven and Time Bomb.

The rest (Shake Me, LITHOG, Dive In, Baby Blue, You & Me) did not debut until after the album was out. Grux and #35 have never been played.

For the Little Red Bird EP, #27 had been around for a few years at that point. Beach Ball was the only other one played in the six-week period between MSG and album release. Little Red Bird and Write A Song didn't debut until after it was out.

So...as far as promoting the album when playing new songs, it didn't happen at all until six weeks prior to the release of the album at what was intended to be the release show for that album. Granted, Dave didn't play any shows between when the album was announced and the MSG show, but still...that's what we're looking at for BWGGK.

Ok, that's enough for now.
    Old 02-21-2023, 05:59 PM   #30156
    Greykitkat41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, but let's also look at those songs: Three of them (FTWII, Why I Am, and Spaceman) debuted at MSG on April 14th, 2009, which was originally intended to be the album release show (and promoted as such) until the release was delayed about six weeks around Feb 18th, 2009. Rather than the album, they released FTWII as a single on April 14th.

Of the rest of the songs, 4 were played in the six weeks between April 14th and June 2nd: Squirm, Alligator Pie, Seven and Time Bomb.

The rest (Shake Me, LITHOG, Dive In, Baby Blue, You & Me) did not debut until after the album was out. Grux and #35 have never been played.

For the Little Red Bird EP, #27 had been around for a few years at that point. Beach Ball was the only other one played in the six-week period between MSG and album release. Little Red Bird and Write A Song didn't debut until after it was out.

So...as far as promoting the album when playing new songs, it didn't happen at all until six weeks prior to the release of the album at what was intended to be the release show for that album. Granted, Dave didn't play any shows between when the album was announced and the MSG show, but still...that's what we're looking at for BWGGK.

Ok, that's enough for now.
    It was also an album that was meant to honor and be a tribute to Roi passing. It's very near and dear to all their hearts
    Old 02-21-2023, 07:37 PM   #30157
    hopewelljones

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

The Fuse documentary is amazing.
    Old 02-21-2023, 08:59 PM   #30158
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Prediction: For Break Free, they'll use the demo recording from the un-leaked 2007 Batson sessions, and it will have LeRoi on it.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2023, 09:08 PM   #30159
    CapnHani06
    JMU Duuuuuuuuukes

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    Prediction: For Break Free, they'll use the demo recording from the un-leaked 2007 Batson sessions, and it will have LeRoi on it.
    I honestly like this idea. Come Tomorrow kind of ruined this approach for many but Big Whiskey pulled this off beautifully. As with all things, if done well and production is consistent with the rest of the record then why not.
    - Sean
    Old 02-21-2023, 09:11 PM   #30160
    CapnHani06
    JMU Duuuuuuuuukes

My Tour Central Stats

Only problem I see is it matching the live version with the current instrumentation. Might give it a weird feeling.
    - Sean
    Old 02-21-2023, 09:11 PM   #30161
    Greykitkat41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Please no. I didn't like IOY for that reason, so I doubt this would be better. They should record as band how they are now. If they did want to release older B-sides, then they should promoting it as such so we know what to expect. To tell us "new album" and it's literally a 15 year old recording with new Dave vocals on it, would bother me.
    Old 02-21-2023, 09:14 PM   #30162
    Greykitkat41

My Tour Central Stats

What kind of sucks is that it seemed like the initial plan for this album (based on the info/insiders etc we have) they were going to put a good chunk of potential B-side live songs on this album and it was going to mostly new but with maybe 3-4 older songs they've been meaning to officially record....but as time dragged on Dave wanted to include newer stuff instead and we got it to where now all we're getting is Break Free. Which I guess is better than just totally new songs, because it shows us they're still serious about eventually recording and releasing these over time.
    Old 02-21-2023, 09:16 PM   #30163
    Greykitkat41

My Tour Central Stats

If the process for the next few albums is similar, where it's 8-9 new songs and 2-3 older ones I could be down for that.
    Old 02-21-2023, 09:21 PM   #30164
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CapnHani06 View Post
    I honestly like this idea. Come Tomorrow kind of ruined this approach for many but Big Whiskey pulled this off beautifully. As with all things, if done well and production is consistent with the rest of the record then why not.
    I know people are afraid of them using an old Batson demo of Break Free because the one we've heard so far is bad, but for all we know they could've really polished up the production in 2007 and made it sound more similar to the 2006 performances. Remember, we have 2 demos of Idea Of You from 2006 and there's dramatic improvements between both of them.

Also, LeRoi has a writing credit on Break Free, so I'd be shocked if they didn't include him on the final product.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2023, 10:58 PM   #30165
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I know people are afraid of them using an old Batson demo of Break Free because the one we've heard so far is bad, but for all we know they could've really polished up the production in 2007 and made it sound more similar to the 2006 performances. Remember, we have 2 demos of Idea Of You from 2006 and there's dramatic improvements between both of them.

Also, LeRoi has a writing credit on Break Free, so I'd be shocked if they didn't include him on the final product.
    But for Idea of You on Come Tomorrow, it's almost exactly the leaked version we have from the later 06 session. I think it's just the bridge that was cleaner from Dave's vocals. It's not just the mix, but the recording quality is clearly lacking, even with as much polish as they could put on it. I just don't think the song sounds very good.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they took Carter and Stefan's stems from 2006/2007 and just recorded over it, especially since we heard only "most" of the band members re-recorded that track. (And Carter and Stefan were absent in the Hollywood studio day pictures.) I'm still trying to accept that they chopped off the jam and keep an open mind, but I would be pretty disappointed if they didn't take the time and care to even re-record the foundation of the song. Just like with IOY, it locks them into a version that ignores 17 years of growing the music and energy of the song.
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2023, 04:51 AM   #30166
    ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Random song I’d like to toss out for a potential quiet Dave song in the future is Falling Off The Roof. Heard it on Sirius today and it’s a nice song. Also will stay on A Dream So Real. Happy they at least looked at it this go around so it’s on Dave’s mind.
    Old 02-22-2023, 05:56 AM   #30167
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

You know what quiet song needs more plays? Busted Stuff.
    unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2023, 05:59 AM   #30168
    madhatter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Greykitkat41 View Post
    What kind of sucks is that it seemed like the initial plan for this album (based on the info/insiders etc we have) they were going to put a good chunk of potential B-side live songs on this album and it was going to mostly new but with maybe 3-4 older songs they've been meaning to officially record....but as time dragged on Dave wanted to include newer stuff instead and we got it to where now all we're getting is Break Free. Which I guess is better than just totally new songs, because it shows us they're still serious about eventually recording and releasing these over time.
    Huh? That had never been the case for this album. It's always been all new songs, from everything we've heard for nearly three years. The inclusion of Break Free is the outlier. The only old song that seemed to have been considered early on is A Dream So Real. Some others were considered after the initial cut of the album was rejected, but when they went into the studio in the fall of 2020, they were there to record new songs, not revist old ones.
    Old 02-22-2023, 05:59 AM   #30169
    Alpine416

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Greykitkat41 View Post
    If the process for the next few albums is similar, where it's 8-9 new songs and 2-3 older ones I could be down for that.
    Sure sounds good, but also if it is the same process they aren't getting another one out the door before they all in the nursing home.
    Alpine416 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2023, 06:06 AM   #30170
    jaymas9

My Tour Central Stats

Break Free sticks out like a sore thumb on this record based on what we've heard so far
    Old 02-22-2023, 06:06 AM   #30171
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaymas9 View Post
    Break Free sticks out like a sore thumb on this record based on what we've heard so far

Oh? How so?
    Old 02-22-2023, 06:14 AM   #30172
    Slackdoodle

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    Oh? How so?

They won't have a good answer for you. We've heard only 2 songs from the sessions. Break Free, recorded during those same sessions, will fit sonically with the rest of it.

Also--remember when we used to love each track being a bit different? Crash, BTCS...
    Slackdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2023, 06:20 AM   #30173
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Did he at least address the track length after playing it?

I think he did BEFORE playing it actually.
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2023, 06:26 AM   #30174
    Alpine416

My Tour Central Stats

Break Free is definitely going to have a recycled component a la Idea of You. My source is that the insider bootlickers are soooo sure it was recorded completely fresh in these sessions that I'm pretty sure it will not be true.
    Old 02-22-2023, 06:31 AM   #30175
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alpine416 View Post
    My source is that the insider bootlickers are soooo sure it was recorded completely fresh in these sessions that I'm pretty sure it will not be true.

Weird bit.
    Old 02-22-2023, 06:45 AM   #30176
    Alpine416

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Weird bit.
    https://giphy.com/gifs/oh-no-anyway-7k2LoEykY5i1hfeWQB
    Old 02-22-2023, 06:47 AM   #30177
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alpine416 View Post
    Break Free is definitely going to have a recycled component a la Idea of You. My source is that the insider bootlickers are soooo sure it was recorded completely fresh in these sessions that I'm pretty sure it will not be true.

Maybe you’re being sarcastic, but idt anyone has said it was “recorded completely fresh”.
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2023, 07:02 AM   #30178
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Some supercool and edgy DMB fans have shared that bootlickers, (You know, those squares that actually claim to like DMB, and aren't edgy enough to be really real about it all) have said it's recorded completely fresh.
    Old 02-22-2023, 07:03 AM   #30179
    Alpine416

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    Maybe you’re being sarcastic, but idt anyone has said it was “recorded completely fresh”.
    Oh really?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiniFlynny34 View Post
    If they do put Batson stuff on there I just hope it’s new recordings of the songs. The fact that Idea of You on Come Tomorrow was a 12 year old recording was a little lazy.
    Quote:
    Break Free was apparently re-recorded by most band members.
    Quote:
    It’s Break Free.

They aren’t using an older recording for Break Free.
    In before "WeLl AkTuAlLy I dIdnT sAy COMPLETELY Re-ReCoRdEd"
    Old 02-22-2023, 07:08 AM   #30180
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvol View Post
    Random song I’d like to toss out for a potential quiet Dave song in the future is Falling Off The Roof. Heard it on Sirius today and it’s a nice song. Also will stay on A Dream So Real. Happy they at least looked at it this go around so it’s on Dave’s mind.

Falling of the Roof became a song called Jackpot and was recorded for a Herbie Hancock album. Here are some better details from Almanac (never say never, but enjoy that DMBLive 25 version cuz I'd say its pretty dead):

This song, played on the Veillette guitar, was played once in 2007 but then seemed to disappear. In 2009, however, Dave and Carter recorded the song with Herbie Hancock for the latter's album The Imagine Project, released on June 22, 2010. While the album's initial press release listed the song (retitled "Jackpot" from the original "Falling Off the Roof") as appearing on the album and promotional videos showed Dave recording it with Hancock, the song ended up being replaced by a cover of the Beatles' Tomorrow Never Knows. According to an interview with Herbie Hancock, Jackpot was dropped because "Dave decided he hated the song."

The song was originally written for an unknown movie's soundtrack, but it was not included in whatever film it was.
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote