A Game of Thrones (HBO Series) - Page 594 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 12-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #17791
BAHHHTIWaC

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO Series)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zajDmB1 View Post
Yea, don't think I can rewatch for a long time. Maybe in like 10+ years if I'm bored or something.

It really is such a shame what happened. In a vacuum the last few seasons aren't terrible, but in context they just sucked the life-blood out of the story. Obviously the dudes stopped caring like smoke said, but I think it's also a textbook example of what happens when you pay too much attention to your fanbase, especially when the fanbase has grown outside the nerddom and into the mainstream.

The show was built on almost excruciatingly plodding plot lines, dense politics, realistic fighting (early seasons had characters wielding weapons like they were actually made of metal, later ones everyone swings 4ft+ steel blades like they're Bruce Lee swinging nun-chucks ), and none of the characters were overly precious.

I still to this day think the show would not have been nearly as popular early on had the only actor people really recognized not been killed. It was very smart casting and set the tone for what the show would be. Ergo, I also think at least 3-5 'main' characters should have died during the WW battle. And not just for the sake of killing main characters, but moreso because the threat had been established since literally Ep1 Scene 1, and the precedent had been set that main characters in this world/story were not get-out-of-every-situation James Bond type characters. But then basically everyone turned into that.

All sort of nit picky, sure, but the first 4-5 seasons or whatever were just so fucking good (for the most part ha).
These are almost my exact feelings to a tee. I think it'd take a very long time, and watching with someone who never watched the show before, for me to ever feel like I could do a rewatch. It's a shame because there are so many things from the first four seasons that I truly loved and storylines I want to dig back into (Hound and Arya), but I just can't do it.
BAHHHTIWaC is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 12-23-2020, 02:05 PM   #17792
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    these are the 2 i was thinking, and I hear references to one of them at least once a week

GOT completely fell out of the cultural lexicon
    Winter is coming is ubiquitous
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-23-2020, 02:34 PM   #17793
    zajDmB1

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    literally none of this is nitpicky

when 7 wights are on top of a main character, and we see that character again in the next scene, it takes away any threat
    Fair enough

But yea, there were quite a few moments during that ep where I was like “ok, this is where they salvage what little remains of the good GoT,” like when Brienne and whoever else were against a wall with like 20 walkers....but then get out fine.

Or even the very first charge. Almost everyone was in the first like 20 lines of troops and get bombarded by thousands of monsters but somehow don’t die .

Last edited by zajDmB1; 12-23-2020 at 02:35 PM.
    zajDmB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-23-2020, 03:44 PM   #17794
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Dany kinda forgot about the iron fleet

The Dothraki were all wiped out...and then thousands were there the next episode

Everything Tyrion does Season 5 on

Jamie being one of the most redeeming and complex characters in TV history, only to take Bri's v-card and dash for an early meeting with cersei
    Old 01-22-2021, 05:04 AM   #17795
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC6NrHrmVr0

GoT news. HBO wants to develop more prequel series including Robert's Rebellion and Dunk and Egg. They reportedly want to make GoT a Disney Star Wars level of series.
    Old 01-22-2021, 05:34 AM   #17796
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC6NrHrmVr0

GoT news. HBO wants to develop more prequel series including Robert's Rebellion and Dunk and Egg. They reportedly want to make GoT a Disney Star Wars level of series.
    Hopefully one of those can be their Mandalorian to revive a disgruntled fanbase.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-22-2021, 06:03 AM   #17797
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Hopefully one of those can be their Mandalorian to revive a disgruntled fanbase.
    House of the Dragon should do that. I'm here for all ASOIAF content from HBO. Give it all to me. mini-series, movies, new shows, set pretty much anywhere and at any time in Westeros or Essos history.

HBO needs to work too. I've seen where their subscriber base is tanking worse than S8 since the show went off the air. I still can't believe the didn't pay GRRM whatever he wanted to just keep GoT going and take it from D&D after they obviously didn't want it anymore. We could have had the ending the show deserved with 3-5 more 10 episode seasons.
    Old 01-22-2021, 06:34 AM   #17798
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Wow thats a surprising flip, thought the Robert's Rebellion stuff was dead. Dunk and Egg will be great.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-22-2021, 10:14 PM   #17799
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

I thought the Robert's Rebellion stuff was something either GRRM or D&D never wanted made into a show because... reasons. I'm not really sure tbh. Maybe because it was something George never wrote in depth; it was just backstory to ASOIAF.

But, HBO would be fucking crazy to pass up an opportunity to do a Robert's Rebellion show. Ned and Robert are such beloved characters and RR is painted as such a huge turning point in the history of Westeros. Trying to think of who would play them. Obviously not the original actors.
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2021, 07:02 AM   #17800
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

i still contest we saw what we needed to of Robert's Rebellion in the flashbacks, but id still watch the shit out of it

HBO would be dumb not to take advantage of the GOT extended universe. As bad as it ended, we'll all still watch
    Old 01-23-2021, 07:05 AM   #17801
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eggsrsweet View Post
    I thought the Robert's Rebellion stuff was something either GRRM or D&D never wanted made into a show because... reasons. I'm not really sure tbh. Maybe because it was something George never wrote in depth; it was just backstory to ASOIAF.

But, HBO would be fucking crazy to pass up an opportunity to do a Robert's Rebellion show. Ned and Robert are such beloved characters and RR is painted as such a huge turning point in the history of Westeros. Trying to think of who would play them. Obviously not the original actors.
    RR is set 20 years before GoT, right? That would warrant new actors anyway. They could get young Ned that appeared in the flashbacks. They never showed much or any of young Robert in the flashbacks so anyone could do that.
    Old 01-23-2021, 07:06 AM   #17802
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

young ned was perfect, im sure he'd be recast if they think he's capable of leading a series
    Old 01-23-2021, 07:09 AM   #17803
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Would be cool to get the original Rhaegar and Lyanna too
    Old 01-23-2021, 11:56 AM   #17804
    eggsrsweet

My Tour Central Stats

Do y'all think we see another adaptation of ASOIAF in our lifetime?
    Old 01-23-2021, 12:28 PM   #17805
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Like a reboot of the original series? Nah. There is no reason. Its so exceptionally good until S8 that it would be impossible to match.

I just want them to keep expanding the ASOIAF universe on HBO. Keep giving us series, mini-series, movies set throughout the history. Ill watch all of it.
    Old 01-23-2021, 12:30 PM   #17806
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No chance unless they do a film adaption and that just doesn't make any sense why they would.
    Old 01-23-2021, 12:33 PM   #17807
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    Like a reboot of the original series? Nah. There is no reason. Its so exceptionally good until S8 that it would be impossible to match.

I just want them to keep expanding the ASOIAF universe on HBO. Keep giving us series, mini-series, movies set throughout the history. Ill watch all of it.
    yep. not sure why anyone would even want that. The show was insanely good. When it was bad, the worst you could say was that it was rushed (which caused Dany, Tyrion, etc to do things out of character)
    Old 01-23-2021, 12:51 PM   #17808
    eggsrsweet

My Tour Central Stats

Idk... I haven't read the books (I plan to soon though) but from my understanding, there's a lot of characters/storylines that we didn't see in the show, or we did but they were changed drastically.

S1-6 are fucking great. The last 13 episodes are trash. I would like to see what a different adaptation would look like and maybe I'm crazy but I could see someone give it another shot in like 40-50 years. Hopefully, George will be done writing the last two books by then
    Old 01-23-2021, 01:00 PM   #17809
    Gene Parmesan

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

I never thought a reboot of LOTR would be necessary, but after doing a rewatch this holiday season, those movies have not aged well, particularly a lot of the special effects that were outstanding at the time now seem kinda meh. And that's only 15-20 years down the road. I could definitely see a reboot of the show at some point.
    Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2021, 09:47 PM   #17810
    trd1610

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Idk... I haven't read the books (I plan to soon though) but from my understanding, there's a lot of characters/storylines that we didn't see in the show, or we did but they were changed drastically.

S1-6 are fucking great. The last 13 episodes are trash. I would like to see what a different adaptation would look like and maybe I'm crazy but I could see someone give it another shot in like 40-50 years. Hopefully, George will be done writing the last two books by then
    for it to be done properly, of the books that are currently completed, 1-5, i think you would need a minimum of 70 hours. and the fifth book ends with jon getting stabbed, arya still with the house of black and white, and dany hasn't even left mereen, the dorne plot is ENTIRELY different and more complex, and there's a (maybe)fake targaryen running around.

winds, if ever completed (i'm actually optimistic we'll get it), is setting up to be the longest book to date and would probably require another 20 hours on its own.

a dream of spring won't be finished by george, though someone may finish it for him.

for a full 7 book faithful adaptation, we're talking 100-120 hours of content. this isn't something that will happen in the next 30 years, and the only way it happens then is if the literal CEO of a production company is among the hardest core fans of ASOIAF. even then, how a public company would ever agree to finance such a thing is beyond me. and that's before we even get into considering expecting actors to commit 10+ years of their life to a project, plus the issue of young child actors just growing so much in that time while their characters age maybe half that.

personally, i very much look forward to house of the dragon, aegon the conqueror through the dance is 100+ years of history to explore and could be it's own 10+ season show if they wanted. i'll be happy with whatever they give us, and i expect them to hop around in the timeline a good bit.

dunk & egg is good for 3 seasons itself and could lead into RR with a time hop if they wanted as well.

if HBO really wanted, they could build out this world like disney has done with marvel and is attempting to do with star wars. the framework and intellectual property is deep enough.
    trd1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-24-2021, 08:56 AM   #17811
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
    I never thought a reboot of LOTR would be necessary, but after doing a rewatch this holiday season, those movies have not aged well, particularly a lot of the special effects that were outstanding at the time now seem kinda meh. And that's only 15-20 years down the road. I could definitely see a reboot of the show at some point.
    I had the polar opposite reaction. Thought they had aged well. No worse than what I've seen of the Harry Potter movies. I watched them during the fall last year and that was the first time I'd seen them in probably 15 years. They were still just as entertaining and true to the books as I remembered them.
    Old 01-24-2021, 12:18 PM   #17812
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

yeah I have to disagree with LOTR aging badly
    Old 01-24-2021, 02:02 PM   #17813
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

LOTR will definitely be re-made in our lifetime.

TV shows aren't remade as often, but I would bet that the story/stories contained in the series will be rebooted via TV/Film in our lifetime.
    Old 01-24-2021, 02:18 PM   #17814
    Gene Parmesan

My Tour Central Stats

Movies that rely heavily on cgi/special effects are often remade because the advances in technology move fast. It’s why we constantly see superhero reboots and new King Kong’s and Godzilla’s.
    Old 01-24-2021, 02:23 PM   #17815
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
    Movies that rely heavily on cgi/special effects are often remade because the advances in technology move fast. It’s why we constantly see superhero reboots and new King Kong’s and Godzilla’s.
    GoT didnt until the end of the series.
    Old 01-24-2021, 02:40 PM   #17816
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

as tough as the last 2 seasons are, I wouldn't want a remake. I thought most if not all the characters were wonderfully casted and acted
    Old 01-24-2021, 03:44 PM   #17817
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    yeah I have to disagree with LOTR aging badly
    Agreed, because they haven’t.
    Old 01-24-2021, 03:48 PM   #17818
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

There's some pretty bad CGI in LOTR, but for the most part I think it holds up pretty well.
    Old 01-24-2021, 04:00 PM   #17819
    Gene Parmesan

My Tour Central Stats

I watched all 10 hours of the directors cut extended version, so I still like it. But when I once thought a remake unthinkable, i no longer think it unlikely. Feel that time might do the same for GoT.

Gollum is a cartoon and so many of the grand shots of elf land and the forts have that Barbara Walters fuzzy cam look.
    Old 01-24-2021, 04:18 PM   #17820
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    LOTR will definitely be re-made in our lifetime.

TV shows aren't remade as often, but I would bet that the story/stories contained in the series will be rebooted via TV/Film in our lifetime.
    Really? As in the same story? That seems unlikely to me. Don’t think they could be made any better than what King did.

Although Hollywood is absolutely obsessed with IP so I guess it wouldn’t surprise me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is online now   Reply With Quote