***Official Premiership, FA Cup, Carling Cup, Champions League etc. Thread*** - Page 463 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion > The Tailgate

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-25-2019, 11:56 AM   #13861
42graystreet
Go Big Red!

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Premiership, FA Cup, Carling Cup, Champions League etc. Thread***

Re: Kepa and the Cuppity Cup Final

A few thoughts...

1. That moment was so insane and for all the yelling going on today by talking heads and columnists, you have to admit, that was amazing drama and entertainment. Supporting Chelsea is never boring, let me tell you.

2. Ever since Mourinho was sacked the first time, Chelsea have been run by the players in the dressing room. This is a scientific fact. The Chelsea model that accepts a coaching carousel in order to do whatever it takes to win trophies enables this behavior from our players. 12 trophies in the last 11 seasons is the result.

3. Kepa and Sarri say that the whole thing was a misunderstanding regarding his ability to play on at the end of the game. Anyone who watched could tell there was more to it than that. As a Chelsea fan, I actually loved the passion shown by Kepa. He crossed a line, I think, (more on that later), but god damned do I want players with that kind of fire and intensity. He wanted to be the guy for Chelsea that bad. I love this kid even more.

4. Was a line crossed? Sure. But this is not the first time something like this has happened. Sarri is a dead man walking. Everyone knows it. The players certainly know it. If what Kepa did was so shameful and embarrassing, why didn't we see Kepa's teammates force him off the pitch? Kepa is their guy. They wanted him out there too. And if the coach throwing water bottles on the sideline is going to be sacked soon anyway, there's not much downside to holding your ground and doing what you think is best to help your team win a trophy. We ended up losing the PK shootout but Kepa did make a save and nearly had 2.

5. Our next game is Wednesday against Tottenham. Is Sarri really going to punish Kepa and bench him for a massively important league game in a London derby when a loss could mean he's fired? I bet not.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-06-2019, 06:56 AM   #13862
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Premiership, FA Cup, Carling Cup, Champions League etc. Thread***

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 42graystreet View Post
    Re: Kepa and the Cuppity Cup Final

A few thoughts...

1. That moment was so insane and for all the yelling going on today by talking heads and columnists, you have to admit, that was amazing drama and entertainment. Supporting Chelsea is never boring, let me tell you.

2. Ever since Mourinho was sacked the first time, Chelsea have been run by the players in the dressing room. This is a scientific fact. The Chelsea model that accepts a coaching carousel in order to do whatever it takes to win trophies enables this behavior from our players. 12 trophies in the last 11 seasons is the result.

3. Kepa and Sarri say that the whole thing was a misunderstanding regarding his ability to play on at the end of the game. Anyone who watched could tell there was more to it than that. As a Chelsea fan, I actually loved the passion shown by Kepa. He crossed a line, I think, (more on that later), but god damned do I want players with that kind of fire and intensity. He wanted to be the guy for Chelsea that bad. I love this kid even more.

4. Was a line crossed? Sure. But this is not the first time something like this has happened. Sarri is a dead man walking. Everyone knows it. The players certainly know it. If what Kepa did was so shameful and embarrassing, why didn't we see Kepa's teammates force him off the pitch? Kepa is their guy. They wanted him out there too. And if the coach throwing water bottles on the sideline is going to be sacked soon anyway, there's not much downside to holding your ground and doing what you think is best to help your team win a trophy. We ended up losing the PK shootout but Kepa did make a save and nearly had 2.

5. Our next game is Wednesday against Tottenham. Is Sarri really going to punish Kepa and bench him for a massively important league game in a London derby when a loss could mean he's fired? I bet not.
    Interesting incite and thoughts, Chad. As we now know, Sarri did bench Kepa for the Spurs match. Ended up not mattering as Chelsea played inspired and won the match. Will say Sarri's actions after the match (walking off with out shaking hands) was interesting too. See how the Blues do tomorrow vs. Kiev in Europa.
    Old 03-06-2019, 06:58 AM   #13863
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Time to see if ManU can take a page from Ajax's playbook and overturn the goal deficit and advance. Hard part... PSG is not Real Madrid. Still hoping that Ole can pull off a miracle, but ManU have to be careful on the counter with the speed on the front line for PSG. DiMaria and Mbappe will simply carve up the backline if given space to run.
    Old 03-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #13864
    42graystreet
    Go Big Red!

My Tour Central Stats

I wouldn't bet on it, but then I've been consistently surprised by what Ole Gunner has been able to do.

And you're right, Ben. Sarri has a death wish and benched Kepa as punishment in a must-win game for the club and for his future. Typical Spurs we come out 2-0 winners and followed that up with a scary 2-1 win at Fulham. I still think Sarri is sacked if and when we run into another bad form and drop out of Europe and/or top 4 contention. To Sarri's credit, he has gone 3 games in a row showing a little more flexibility with his tactics and subs. This is all that we were screaming for back in November/December.
    Old 03-06-2019, 11:13 AM   #13865
    42graystreet
    Go Big Red!

My Tour Central Stats

I'm off on Friday for a spring break in sunny/warm London (i.e. 50 degrees, rain and wind).

Sunday: Chelsea vs Wolves at Stamford Bridge
    Tuesday: DMB at the Hammersmith Apollo Theater
    Wednesday: DMB at the Hammersmith Apollo Theater
    Thursday: Arsenal vs Rennes at the Emirates (looking forward to my latte)
    Old 03-06-2019, 02:05 PM   #13866
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm off on Friday for a spring break in sunny/warm London (i.e. 50 degrees, rain and wind).

Sunday: Chelsea vs Wolves at Stamford Bridge
    Tuesday: DMB at the Hammersmith Apollo Theater
    Wednesday: DMB at the Hammersmith Apollo Theater
    Thursday: Arsenal vs Rennes at the Emirates (looking forward to my latte)
    Have a great trip! Hooking up with Craig while you are over in London?
    Old 03-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #13867
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I wouldn't bet on it, but then I've been consistently surprised by what Ole Gunner has been able to do.

And you're right, Ben. Sarri has a death wish and benched Kepa as punishment in a must-win game for the club and for his future. Typical Spurs we come out 2-0 winners and followed that up with a scary 2-1 win at Fulham. I still think Sarri is sacked if and when we run into another bad form and drop out of Europe and/or top 4 contention. To Sarri's credit, he has gone 3 games in a row showing a little more flexibility with his tactics and subs. This is all that we were screaming for back in November/December.
    Well, well, well... Not sure what to say, but the lads got it done. People can say all they want about the hand ball call but Kimpembe had his arm off his body when he jumped. Buffon didn't do himself any favors either with the second goal. On we march to the quarterfinals. GGMU!!!
    Old 03-06-2019, 04:28 PM   #13868
    42graystreet
    Go Big Red!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    Have a great trip! Hooking up with Craig while you are over in London?
    You know it! He'll be in the capital city for the DMB shows.

Congrats on the massive win. VAR is dumb
    Old 03-07-2019, 08:59 AM   #13869
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You know it! He'll be in the capital city for the DMB shows.

Congrats on the massive win. VAR is dumb
    Very cool. Two nighter should mean some pretty good setlists. Thanks for the congrats and at the current moment, I am fan of VAR. Go figure.
    Old 03-07-2019, 09:05 AM   #13870
    TrampledUnderw.

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I hope Sarri doesn't get the boot and at least gets one more season with a proper preseason and a few other players. I didn't watch Sarri at Empoli but winning promotion and staying up is a feat, and we all know how good his Napoli team was.
    TrampledUnderw. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-07-2019, 09:34 AM   #13871
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

That Manchester United game yesterday! Woot Woot!
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    aeroshady is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-07-2019, 10:46 AM   #13872
    42graystreet
    Go Big Red!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrampledUnderw. View Post
    I hope Sarri doesn't get the boot and at least gets one more season with a proper preseason and a few other players. I didn't watch Sarri at Empoli but winning promotion and staying up is a feat, and we all know how good his Napoli team was.
    I'm very much on the fence with Sarri. It's great to have this desire to have a manager who's given time at the club to institute a playing philosophy that stands for years and becomes the club's identity. It's also necessary to keep the club at the top echelons of football and that requires trophies (to validate what you're doing is providing a means to an end) and consistent presence in the Champions League (to keep your club attractive to the best talent in the world).

If you can't do both of those at the same time, I'm sorry but you're not good enough and you must move on. Chelsea is nothing if not consistent that you need to meet minimum criteria or you're gone. People say this is not sustainable and maybe they will prove to eventually be right. But it has worked for the club for 15 years so I don't see that philosophy changing for Maurizio Sarri.

Last edited by 42graystreet; 03-07-2019 at 10:48 AM.
    42graystreet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-09-2019, 09:07 AM   #13873
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

What a comeback by Newcastle! They've become my favorite EPL team because of Almíron
    Old 03-09-2019, 09:39 AM   #13874
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    What a comeback by Newcastle! They've become my favorite EPL team because of Almíron
    Southampton over Spurs too! That free kick was sweet to win it for them.
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    Old 03-10-2019, 06:41 AM   #13875
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Damn... unless city really stumble against a lower side, I don’t see them relinquishing the top spot aside from maybe losing to Spurs. Liverpool can’t afford any more draws or losses. I keep thinking back to that draw against Leicester City after the new year, we should have been 7 points clear of city, now we are 4 pts back. Fingers crossed but I’m not feeling as optimistic as in December.
    Old 03-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #13876
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Tough loss for United. Kills the momentum and will probably be the result that keeps them from at top four finish. Arsenal played well, especially in the second half. I thought Rashford was not very good today. I also felt the penalty awarded to Arsenal was really weak, but it certainly was not the difference in the game. United were having all kinds of trouble creating decent chances by that time. Big win for an Arsenal team that is almost unbeatable at home.

Funny how both teams went the opposite was from their mid-week Europe results.
    Old 03-11-2019, 07:11 AM   #13877
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aeroshady View Post
    Tough loss for United. Kills the momentum and will probably be the result that keeps them from at top four finish. Arsenal played well, especially in the second half. I thought Rashford was not very good today. I also felt the penalty awarded to Arsenal was really weak, but it certainly was not the difference in the game. United were having all kinds of trouble creating decent chances by that time. Big win for an Arsenal team that is almost unbeatable at home.

Funny how both teams went the opposite was from their mid-week Europe results.
    Tough loss, yes. Kills momentum and possible top four, not so sure. The PL streak had to end some time for Ole. There was going to be a PSG hangover and Arsenal had something to prove after getting run over by Rennes on Thursday. So while it sucks to still be in fifth when a win would have pulled us lever with Spurs, I am still feeling positive about the team. While the team is still in contention for the FA Cup and advancing in the UCL, the focus has to be on top four. 5 out of our last 8 PL fixtures are at home, which includes back to back visits from Chity and Chelsea. Four points from those games would be ideal, while a full six points could seal a top 4 spot.

With that said, I am concerned about tired legs over the next few weeks up front. Lukaku had three really good chances on Sunday and Rashford seemed to be pressing to create instead of letting the game come to him. And neither one was able to break through. There is no real depth in the striker position behind Lukaku and Rashford, which is concerning with Ole preferring to play a 4-4-2 formation. Martial is coming back and he can play off the wing if needed. Lingard can also feel that role. Sanchez is injured, had nothing right going when he was healthy, so no idea where he fits in when he comes back this season. If he comes back this season.

So the further we advance in the FA Cup and the UCL will only added fixtures to the schedule that has some very important league fixtures and every point needed to get top four.
    Old 03-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #13878
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveHead36 View Post
    Damn... unless city really stumble against a lower side, I don’t see them relinquishing the top spot aside from maybe losing to Spurs. Liverpool can’t afford any more draws or losses. I keep thinking back to that draw against Leicester City after the new year, we should have been 7 points clear of city, now we are 4 pts back. Fingers crossed but I’m not feeling as optimistic as in December.
    Yeah it sucks. Hoping we beat Bayern this week and that will help with momentum.
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-11-2019, 11:43 AM   #13879
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Zidane back in charge at Madrid. I think we will get a really good idea of how good a manager he is taking over in the middle of a shit storm and no Ronaldo.
    Old 03-12-2019, 09:21 AM   #13880
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

The David Beckham statue prank was hilarious! Good watch for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF014EUJrSI
    Old 03-14-2019, 06:10 AM   #13881
    jrkarger

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Disappointing game last night. Congrats to LFC. You sum-bitches were just better and the D and midfield were just suffocating.

I’m not too broken up it’s been a down year for Bayern (in their standards at least).

LFC is also my mistress team so I hope you guys win it all and not let Barca, City, or Juve take it.
    Old 03-14-2019, 06:53 AM   #13882
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Robertson looked on an island yesterday. They really targeted him. Gnabry and Comen are really good. Glad we got the result though. Should be a tasty semi match up. I would not be surprised to see we magically get paired with City again.
    Old 03-14-2019, 01:27 PM   #13883
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

all 4 EPL teams make it through in the UCL. Guessing there will be at least one QF, all EPL match up. Who will it be? Hoping for ManU v. Spurs.
    Old 03-14-2019, 02:35 PM   #13884
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    all 4 EPL teams make it through in the UCL. Guessing there will be at least one QF, all EPL match up. Who will it be? Hoping for ManU v. Spurs.
    I would love an all Manchester CL Finals or for a Manchester United v Liverpool CL final with Manchester United winning it all. That would be sweet.

I will not hold my breath though .
    Old 03-15-2019, 04:47 AM   #13885
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aeroshady View Post
    I would love an all Manchester CL Finals or for a Manchester United v Liverpool CL final with Manchester United winning it all. That would be sweet.

I will not hold my breath though .
    Fuck me, that would happen this season. Get pipped at the post by City in the league and taken down by United in the CL final

I kid. Something magical about Liverpool when playing in Europe, they typically take it to another level so the Liverpool that United would face would not be the standard league club they see.
    Old 03-15-2019, 07:52 AM   #13886
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Porto draw is fantastic. Semis against City written in the stars
    Old 03-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #13887
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

With all the hoopla surrounding UCL and top 4, better we all keep an eye on the UEL happenings as well. If Arsenal or Chelsea win the UEL and are not in the top 4, then only the top three teams in the PL would go to the UCL next season with the UEL winner being the fourth team in. Chelsea have a very nice QF and possible SF draw in the UEL, so this scenario could very well come into play.
    Old 03-15-2019, 12:42 PM   #13888
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    With all the hoopla surrounding UCL and top 4, better we all keep an eye on the UEL happenings as well. If Arsenal or Chelsea win the UEL and are not in the top 4, then only the top three teams in the PL would go to the UCL next season with the UEL winner being the fourth team in. Chelsea have a very nice QF and possible SF draw in the UEL, so this scenario could very well come into play.
    So I thought they fixed that rule... that all 5 would go now. Do I have that right? Or is that only if you win the CL but are not in the top 4.
    Old 03-15-2019, 01:11 PM   #13889
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ascf33 View Post
    So I thought they fixed that rule... that all 5 would go now. Do I have that right? Or is that only if you win the CL but are not in the top 4.
    You are correct, my bad. This article breaks down the scenarios where a top 4 finish in the EPL might leave a team out of the UCL. The scenarios are unlikely, according to the article at least, but very plausible.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...inish-14141103
    Old 03-16-2019, 06:37 AM   #13890
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You are correct, my bad. This article breaks down the scenarios where a top 4 finish in the EPL might leave a team out of the UCL. The scenarios are unlikely, according to the article at least, but very plausible.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...inish-14141103
    I am rooting for Chelsea to win the EUL and Manchester United to win the champions league and both be out of the top 4 (unless united can just finish top 4 and win the CL too). But the chaos of that would be funny.

Tags
    soccer , uefa