Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread - Page 514 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-07-2022, 03:41 PM   #15391
Cptn. Monkeyman
Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
i'm not a huge fan of LITHOG, mostly because it getting played typically means a song like LIOG or Crush wont be. with that said, i was present for both LT22 and the randall's caravan. i'd put randall's at #1, but LT22 is probably still top 3.

side story, i was on the rail in front of jeff for LT22. i was jammin out to it when his solo started to pick up, and i'm pretty sure that dave was watching me. i looked at him and didn't break my stare, and it didn't seem like he did either. during this time, dave starts strumming harder and plays a higher chord, and i can pick up on it when listening to the recording. its at 9:56.

personally, i think LT22 has the best performance of a bunch of songs, at least in the DMB3.0 era. Warehouse, Seven, YMDT. hell, the entire first disc of the release is about as flawless as it gets. that show was bonkers. 1 song over 20 minutes, 2 more over 15, 4 more over 10 with warehouse essentially a 5th at 9:37. they played like 2 hours of jam songs in one show. i dont think i've ever seen another set with that many long songs.
It’s a great show, some really incredible jams that night. I was glad they aired it on YouTube for the Drive In, it’s easily my most listened to show post Roi

And thanks for sharing your pit story, I know the exact part of the LITHOG jam you’re talking about, so it’s very cool to hear from someone right there!
Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-08-2022, 02:53 AM   #15392
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crounsa810 View Post
    It’s close, but the best version is 9/18/2011
    I mean not to diminish your enjoyment of the song. I really like analyzing song structure and live performance…

I want to like those versions of that tune because it’s such a good song. But the jams went on waaaaaaaay too long and were too over the top. I’m a big fan of musical dynamics and I know people have been making fun of phrases like “wall of sound”, but…

What made versions of songs like Bartender and Seek Up so powerful back in the early 2000’s and 90’s was the dynamics. The band playing together as a dynamic unit to elevate the music gradually treading up to Dave letting out that powerhouse yell in songs like those made it that much more satisfying. The band would reach that peak and stay there for a few bars and then drop it back down. That’s how you bring an audience up and down and take them for an amazing musical ride. When you hit that peak you have to let it go and let the audience come back down. Otherwise it becomes gratuitous and you lose that excitement. Eventually it’s like, “alright, they brought us up and here we are two minutes later still playing as loud as possible”. Until they started mellowing it out a few years ago with Buddy, Lying in the Hands of God would always start at level 8 right out the gate and jump to 11. Then they stayed on 11 for so long that it didn’t give that same satisfactory musical dynamic release. It’s the least interesting kind of drumming from a master like Carter. Hitting every cymbal possible and double bass kicks along with Jeff blowing as loud and hard as possible.

Bartender from Folsom Field is a prime example of how to lift your audience up to a hair raising peak and then let it go. Beautifully strong dynamics.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-08-2022, 04:04 AM   #15393
    monizzle145

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    I mean not to diminish your enjoyment of the song. I really like analyzing song structure and live performance…

I want to like those versions of that tune because it’s such a good song. But the jams went on waaaaaaaay too long and were too over the top. I’m a big fan of musical dynamics and I know people have been making fun of phrases like “wall of sound”, but…

What made versions of songs like Bartender and Seek Up so powerful back in the early 2000’s and 90’s was the dynamics. The band playing together as a dynamic unit to elevate the music gradually treading up to Dave letting out that powerhouse yell in songs like those made it that much more satisfying. The band would reach that peak and stay there for a few bars and then drop it back down. That’s how you bring an audience up and down and take them for an amazing musical ride. When you hit that peak you have to let it go and let the audience come back down. Otherwise it becomes gratuitous and you lose that excitement. Eventually it’s like, “alright, they brought us up and here we are two minutes later still playing as loud as possible”. Until they started mellowing it out a few years ago with Buddy, Lying in the Hands of God would always start at level 8 right out the gate and jump to 11. Then they stayed on 11 for so long that it didn’t give that same satisfactory musical dynamic release. It’s the least interesting kind of drumming from a master like Carter. Hitting every cymbal possible and double bass kicks along with Jeff blowing as loud and hard as possible.

Bartender from Folsom Field is a prime example of how to lift your audience up to a hair raising peak and then let it go. Beautifully strong dynamics.
    This is why I appreciate modern D&T Bartender more and think when talking best bartender/seek up it has to have leroi moore present (excluding the early 2008 shows with early timc/DC where roi was there but tim was loud)
    monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-10-2022, 06:35 AM   #15394
    BigEyedIdiot

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

After listening to Come Tomorrow this morning after not hearing it for a while, man what a stinker of an album. It literally has no flow and all these weird ideas that go nowhere (the BTCS style phone answer, the strange 3 second return at the end of Can't Stop with Roi, Be Yourself getting cut to nothing, etc). Then you can tell the differences in the producers, especially Cavallo compared to Batson. It seems like they really spent zero time as a band in the studio for this particular album, since most of the "good tracks" were from 2015 Cavallo, most of the bad tracks were from Batson in the past, and other than that you get Dave one on one with Batson for When I'm Weary, Dave one on one with Evans for That Girl Is You (the worst DMB studio song in their catalog imo and a huge question mark for this new album if Evans is producing and the band hasn't made an album together in a decade), and She, which Dave apparently borrowed the riff of the song from Alagia. The lyrics were uninspired (ie. cupid's arrow mess in Come On Come On), straight up terrible (Free the Beast Inside of Me in Can't Stop), or just had straight laziness like adding the intro onto Idea of You.

Just all around disappointing imo.
    BigEyedIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-10-2022, 06:16 PM   #15395
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

https://old.reddit.com/r/OldSchoolCo...performing_at/

Top 10 on R/All
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.

Last edited by YankeesDMB41; 08-10-2022 at 06:20 PM.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2022, 08:34 AM   #15396
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

I have a question regarding the “04” songs. Hello Again and Joyride were obviously recorded with Batson during the Stand Up sessions, and both were released. We also know Sugar Will was recorded with Cavallo during the Big Whiskey sessions as heard on the documentary. But what about Crazy Easy? Does anyone have any insight on wether or not Crazy Easy was recorded, either with Batson or Cavallo?

I hope that Sugar Will is released one day, maybe on a future Big Whiskey remaster.
    Old 08-11-2022, 08:43 AM   #15397
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    I have a question regarding the “04” songs. Hello Again and Joyride were obviously recorded with Batson during the Stand Up sessions, and both were released. We also know Sugar Will was recorded with Cavallo during the Big Whiskey sessions as heard on the documentary. But what about Crazy Easy? Does anyone have any insight on wether or not Crazy Easy was recorded, either with Batson or Cavallo?

I hope that Sugar Will is released one day, maybe on a future Big Whiskey remaster.

He was also messing around with "Gas Into The Fire" that tour which from the Batson Sessions leak, we know became "Drive Me Away". Gotta imagine somewhere along the line Crazy Easy was recorded in some form, even if its lyric-less or loosely jamming around on it.
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2022, 10:27 AM   #15398
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I totally forgot that in the BW documentary Sugar Will was mentioned. That’s surprising to me. Like it was forgotten for 4 years and was brought back to life by Cavallo?
    Old 08-11-2022, 10:32 AM   #15399
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Studio Dreaming Tree is a masterpiece.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2022, 10:37 AM   #15400
    BigEyedIdiot

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Pretty sure Crazy Easy was never recorded with a producer. I do think it was laid down in 04 in the studio but I remember hearing it was for an upcoming self produced album, which of course never happened.
    BigEyedIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2022, 11:15 AM   #15401
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    I totally forgot that in the BW documentary Sugar Will was mentioned. That’s surprising to me. Like it was forgotten for 4 years and was brought back to life by Cavallo?

Somehow it crept back into his mind at the end of the 2007 tour. I went to the Hollywood Bowl that year and the 2 shows before it opened with a Sugar Will tease which the live setlist update accounted for. I thought it might be leading to it getting dusted off at the Bowl, but alas. It did return a handful of plays on the 2008 tour, though.
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2022, 01:11 PM   #15402
    OutofDarkness

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Love hearing Roi on baritone on the 7/5/03 Maker.
    OutofDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2022, 01:48 PM   #15403
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigEyedIdiot View Post
    Pretty sure Crazy Easy was never recorded with a producer. I do think it was laid down in 04 in the studio but I remember hearing it was for an upcoming self produced album, which of course never happened.
    As far as I understand, those 04 sessions were more of writing sessions, and the recording was more akin to a demo than an album. I may be totally wrong, but that’s the impression I’ve gotten about those 04 sessions.
    Old 08-11-2022, 01:52 PM   #15404
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    As far as the story goes, it wasn’t recorded for Stand Up or the 2006 follow up, I’m assuming they felt it didn’t fit with the vibes from Batson’s production. I think Dave went back to Sugar Will in 2007 when they moved on to Cavallo. The song went through some heavy editing around that time and they laid it down in the studio.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by btpeters View Post
    Somehow it crept back into his mind at the end of the 2007 tour. I went to the Hollywood Bowl that year and the 2 shows before it opened with a Sugar Will tease which the live setlist update accounted for. I thought it might be leading to it getting dusted off at the Bowl, but alas. It did return a handful of plays on the 2008 tour, though.
    Old 08-11-2022, 01:53 PM   #15405
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

In 2013, Crazy Easy came back for 5 shows and was edited with new lyrics. I wonder if it was worked on in the studio at all around that time.
    Old 08-11-2022, 04:56 PM   #15406
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Listening to Boyd's part before the wailing section on Seek Up on LT7 and then the same thing from Alpine '15 is ... something
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2022, 06:43 PM   #15407
    Gunz

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Listening to Boyd's part before the wailing section on Seek Up on LT7 and then the same thing from Alpine '15 is ... something
    Define something? Just listened to both for fun.
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2022, 07:04 PM   #15408
    dpduke5173

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    In 2013, Crazy Easy came back for 5 shows and was edited with new lyrics. I wonder if it was worked on in the studio at all around that time.
    So glad I was hitting that 2013 run in late July when Crazy Easy & Kit Kat Jam were getting played. Haven’t popped back up since.
    Old 08-11-2022, 07:31 PM   #15409
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
    Define something? Just listened to both for fun.

To me he sounds strong as hell in LT7 and terrible in Alpine '15, not just because of the way it's mixed
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2022, 08:03 PM   #15410
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dpduke5173 View Post
    So glad I was hitting that 2013 run in late July when Crazy Easy & Kit Kat Jam were getting played. Haven’t popped back up since.
    Both are on my wishlist
    Old 08-11-2022, 09:22 PM   #15411
    JboDaveGuyYNK

Shows Seen: 42

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    Studio Dreaming Tree is a masterpiece.
    Yepp. #3 overall, top 2 studio.

Prob my only top 15 where studio is > live. But that's most likely not uncommon
    JboDaveGuyYNK is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2022, 09:39 PM   #15412
    JboDaveGuyYNK

Shows Seen: 42

My Tour Central Stats

LT45 looks like my kind of show. Need to hear the thoughts of anyone who was there in regards to "WTF was going on during JTR?"

Seen a few videos of 2013 and Dave seemed extra animated. That "loud speaker Dave talk" backs up my thoughts.
    JboDaveGuyYNK is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-12-2022, 05:10 AM   #15413
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    To me he sounds strong as hell in LT7 and terrible in Alpine '15, not just because of the way it's mixed
    Agreed. LT7 is good stuff.
    Old 08-12-2022, 05:19 AM   #15414
    jasonfilatov

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JboDaveGuyYNK View Post
    LT45 looks like my kind of show. Need to hear the thoughts of anyone who was there in regards to "WTF was going on during JTR?"

Seen a few videos of 2013 and Dave seemed extra animated. That "loud speaker Dave talk" backs up my thoughts.
    Two great live trax mentioned on this page, both of which are among my top 5 attended shows.

LT22 7/14/10 - My first time doing shrooms for a DMB show (age 20). We took them while still into the car pulling into the lot and they hit in about 2 minutes, while still in the car. We started hallucinating and seeing heat waves in front of the car, only to notice a few minutes later the license plate in front of us was CTHEWAVE. Needless to say, it was a special night. Didn’t take my sunglasses off once and don’t think I’ve ever raged harder than during the Stone Warehouse Grace (extended) opener. Those 3 + that Billies, Rapunzel, Busted Stuff, YMDT are among my most revisited tracks.

LT45 6/29/14 - My first solo show. Some wonderful member here sold me a front row 100 section seat for face, the best ticket I’ve bought off Ants. All in all, this and 6/26/11 were the best shows I’ve ever seen. The JTR jam was an absolute brain puzzle but was definitely intentional. The Typical Situation is my favorite of the modern era and everything after that was spectacular. Dreamgirl and Hunger were offset but the big surprises with Joyride and Help Myself. What an unpredictably amazing night. Probably the most consistently surprised I’ve been across 70 shows.

Last edited by jasonfilatov; 08-12-2022 at 05:21 AM.
    jasonfilatov is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-12-2022, 06:35 AM   #15415
    DaveCrave41

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Hot take, maybe: I really enjoyed the live opening gimmicks they tried in the past. I believe 2013 they had the drape or sheet, or whatever it was, that they dropped after the band came out and started up on the first song. I'm not sure which year but they also had that cage-like screen thingy that was between the band and the crowd, it became see-through and raised when they started. I didn't enjoy the cage thing as much as the drape, but it was probably cool for first time concert goers.

Awesome that fans had the opportunity to ask Mark about DMB. Hopefully he didn't catch the red glare of anyone else involved.
    DaveCrave41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-12-2022, 06:36 AM   #15416
    DaveCrave41

My Tour Central Stats

Ah yeah, the So Right summer tour warm up video shows the 2013 gimmick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSlltSNxmkk

Awesome that fans had the opportunity to ask Mark about DMB. Hopefully he didn't catch the red glare of anyone else involved.
    Old 08-12-2022, 07:29 AM   #15417
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

lol i hated those things
    Old 08-12-2022, 07:47 AM   #15418
    DaveCrave41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
    lol i hated those things
    How dare you!?

jk

That's fair. I think I'm in the minority with this take.

Old 08-12-2022, 08:43 AM   #15419
    stlbluespower
    DMB 2012

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Hope Dave sees this and it prompts him to play Black and Blue Bird a bit the rest of your.

https://twitter.com/cnn/status/15580...Vi6HKphQ9fMcRA
    stlbluespower is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-12-2022, 10:24 PM   #15420
    8nalive

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

What do you think was the best DMB year from 2011-2020 and why?
    8nalive is offline   Reply With Quote