Importance Of Seeding - Antsmarching.org Forums
Old 01-10-2007, 11:47 PM   #1
Prez
WINNING!
 
Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SUNY Geneseo
Posts: 10,392

Shows Seen: 16
Send a message via AIM to Prez

Importance Of Seeding

Hi Folks,

With this new addition of the tracker to the site, I'd like to give everyone a friendly reminder as to how DMB live trading works. It is CRITICAL that when you are done with a torrent that you help seed it so that others can download it as well.
I bring this to attention because I have uploaded a few torrents and two of them have a ratio of 2 or so, and I still remain the only seeder. This means that two people just grabbed the files and didn't help seed for others. This can't happen or this entire project is going to flop. The staff has worked very hard on this tracker, please use it as it was intended to be used-sharing peer to peer torrents.


I hope you all had a safe and wonderful holiday season. And I'd like to extend a huge thanks to the Ants Marching staff, this one didn't go together in 5 minutes folks.
__________________
-Chris
Prez is offline  

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-11-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
    BCC99Man
     
    BCC99Man's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2003
    Location: State College, PA
    Posts: 412

    Shows Seen: 10
    Send a message via AIM to BCC99Man

    Re: Importance Of Seeding

    quick question, is there a recommended amount of time we should keep seeding after we upload? right now i'm seeding multiple shows, with the more popular shows getting downloaded, while some of the lesser known ones haven't been looked at at all. I think in DT.org they say if you upload that you should initially seed for 24 hours after upload or if you get 5 other seeders. I'm just asking cause there's some other shows I want to upload, but am worried about bandwidth and stuff. thanks!
    __________________
    ~Dennis
    Penn State '09
    BCC99Man is offline  
    Old 01-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #3
    bbycrei
     
    bbycrei's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2002
    Location: New Jersey
    Posts: 1,617

    Shows Seen: 31
    Send a message via AIM to bbycrei

    Re: Importance Of Seeding

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BCC99Man View Post
    quick question, is there a recommended amount of time we should keep seeding after we upload? right now i'm seeding multiple shows, with the more popular shows getting downloaded, while some of the lesser known ones haven't been looked at at all. I think in DT.org they say if you upload that you should initially seed for 24 hours after upload or if you get 5 other seeders. I'm just asking cause there's some other shows I want to upload, but am worried about bandwidth and stuff. thanks!
    General rule of thumb is either 1:1 ratio. I also try to make sure I get a few new seeders if there aren't that many before I drop off.
    __________________
    Eric
    bbycrei is offline  
    Old 01-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #4
    JoelB2222
    The Mad Violinist
     
    JoelB2222's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Location: Cape Cod, MA
    Posts: 348

    Shows Seen: 15
    Send a message via AIM to JoelB2222 Send a message via Yahoo to JoelB2222

    Re: Importance Of Seeding

    Ok, so this is what is meant by "sharing" torrents? Because I haven't ever taped a show or anything like that, and all I have of any value is some "rare" live songs that I've downloaded from the audio thread.

    I felt bad because if I can't help by posting new shows or anything then what use am I? But if I just keep uTorrent open, I will "seed" the show and thus be helping the cause?

    Cheers
    JoelB2222 is offline  
    Old 01-12-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
    Prez
    WINNING!
     
    Prez's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Location: SUNY Geneseo
    Posts: 10,392

    Shows Seen: 16
    Send a message via AIM to Prez

    Re: Importance Of Seeding

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoelB2222 View Post
    Ok, so this is what is meant by "sharing" torrents? Because I haven't ever taped a show or anything like that, and all I have of any value is some "rare" live songs that I've downloaded from the audio thread.

    I felt bad because if I can't help by posting new shows or anything then what use am I? But if I just keep uTorrent open, I will "seed" the show and thus be helping the cause?

    Cheers

    Seeding means that you are allowing people to download the files off of you. So, if you do convert your FLAC or SHN files into different formats, make a copy of the torrent file and leave an original one alone so that it will remain seeding. Use the copy of the folder to convert and what not.
    __________________
    -Chris
    Prez is offline  
    Old 01-15-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
    dmbfan1192
     
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Posts: 57

    Shows Seen: 5

    Re: Importance Of Seeding

    I am having trouble with this seeding thing. I used Azureus to download the Til We Dance Away Compilation from dreamingtree and I want to seed it. It says that it's seeding and 1.62 Gb uploaded but on dreamingtree it says I only uploaded 512 Mb. This causes my ratio to be low and I don't want to be kicked off. Can someone please help me?
    dmbfan1192 is offline  
    Old 01-15-2007, 12:43 PM   #7
    Matt
     
    Matt's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2001
    Posts: 11,243

    Shows Seen: 79

    Re: Importance Of Seeding

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbfan1192 View Post
    I am having trouble with this seeding thing. I used Azureus to download the Til We Dance Away Compilation from dreamingtree and I want to seed it. It says that it's seeding and 1.62 Gb uploaded but on dreamingtree it says I only uploaded 512 Mb. This causes my ratio to be low and I don't want to be kicked off. Can someone please help me?
    You might want to ask over on DT.
    Matt is offline  
     

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is On

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:57 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Ants Facebook
    Ants Instagram
    Matt's Twitter
    Joe's Twitter