Have you ever walked out in disgust on a show or encore based on the setlist? - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-17-2018, 08:11 AM   #61
crashintonickdm
Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Have you ever walked out in disgust on a show or encore based on the setlist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
Never really that I can recall in almost 70 shows. The one time I do remember was starting to head to the car at the Chicago Caravan whichever night it was (I think N1?) that they closed with SMLAM. But it wasn't "in disgust" or anything, just didn't need to hear it.

The whole "beat the traffic" thing I never really got. Like, is walking out 5-10 minutes earlier REALLY getting you home that much quicker (especially when a ton of other people are doing the same thing?)
I was eating wings at pjs when rapunzel was playing last night. I left mid why I am
crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-17-2018, 09:46 AM   #62
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Have you ever walked out in disgust on a show or encore based on the setlist?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    I was eating wings at pjs when rapunzel was playing last night. I left mid why I am
    you missed four classics after that to end the show
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #63
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 View Post
    you missed four classics after that to end the show
    I’ve seen best of what’s around, ants, digging a ditch and rapunzel with the original 5

It could’ve been far far worse
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2018, 10:56 AM   #64
    bowa36

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

not based on setlist, sometimes i'll just leave when it's getting late. nothing wrong with it
    Old 06-17-2018, 11:47 AM   #65
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I was raised right, wherein you don't leave a game until it is over or a concert until the house lights come on. So no.

The only Dave related show that I was close to feeling disappoint over was the RFK show in 2001. It was the least loose and free show I've seen them perform. Butch and the LLs for most of the show were not welcome additions. It was like when I saw the Who in HS and they had horns and back up singers...it was a strange variation on the band I loved. Unlike the Who, however, DMB did not rise above the unnecessary additions and still blow my mind.

As I mentioned in another thread...DMB is like sex and pizza...when they're good, they're great. When they're bad, they're still pretty good. So it wasn't a bad show or one to leave early, it just wasn't as good as I come to expect going in. Hadn't seen them for three at the time and expected a better version of what had come before. Not causational, but I didn't DMB for another 14 yrs after that show, although I did see Dave and Friends (fucking awesome) and D&T for the first time in the intervening years. Part of the issue was that in 2004 I lost my job and our first child was born...concerts became a massive luxury and we didn't have childcare (no family living anywhere near NoVa) and didn't have $$$ or trust in anyone to take care of our boy while we went out.

So, as you can see, no leaving early. Traffic is part of the price I'm willing to pay to see a great band/artist. I've yet to actually be disappointed in any of the 100 or so concerts from a myriad of artists I've seen over the years. If, however, I'd seen any one act that many times, I'd be less inclined to stay for every note after the first 30 or so shows...at least depending upon hw close together they were.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-17-2018, 12:03 PM   #66
    TwoStep2888

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I've never left a show early but I don't go to a lot of shows, maybe if it'd be different if it wasn't such a special occasion for me to see a show
    Old 06-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #67
    AndySlash
    Falling Hard

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by autosave36 View Post
    Been to 2 shows so far in my young show going career. First one we had Belly Belly nice encore closer. I stuck that out right next to the exit

Second one was the first show without Boyd. We got about a verse into Ants before I just couldn't take anymore of it. It sounded horrible. Had
    to hit the exits for that one.

Otherwise it could be the most vanilla/boring set ever and i wouldnt leave because it's still DMB and i like 98% of the catalogue
    you've been to two shows, left one early because a concert staple sounded horrible and positioned yourself right at the exit at the other, but wouldn't leave a boring vanilla set early? yeah, ok.

that 2015 st paul show was money. yeah, it didn't end the way it could have, but that show exceeded expectations by a country mile.

Discogs
    AndySlash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
    disgust , encore , setlists , walk out