Dave (solo): Live At Home Sirius XM Broadcast, April 16th 2021 (mastered by djamieb) - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-18-2021, 08:59 PM   #1
djamieb

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Dave (solo): Live At Home Sirius XM Broadcast, April 16th 2021 (mastered by djamieb)

Hey, y'all!

For those interested in listening to my mastered version of the Sirius XM Broadcast of Dave’s solo performance that aired on April 16th, 2021, I've uploaded what I worked on (similar to what I did for the previous Dave solo “Live At Home” broadcasts in 2020 and the recent SPAC ’04 show, although this particular broadcast sounded really good already, so what I’ve done here is subtle and focused on small enhancements because it didn't need anything drastic to get there).

In this paragraph, I’ll highlight what I did during the light and tasteful mastering process in case you’re interested in that stuff. (If you’d rather go straight to the link below to hear the files at this point, though, all good!) The volume in the original files I worked on was good and loud, so my process didn’t include making it much louder, and the sound quality of what was broadcast was already very nice - my purpose for this mastering was just to nudge it even more in that direction and focus on cleaning up a few key areas. I applied a bit of dynamic EQ to clean up some of the frequencies and even things out (particularly to tame some of the boominess in Dave’s guitar at certain points), brought some clarity and detail to Dave’s vocals/guitars and a pleasant sheen to the high frequencies, created a bit more stereo spread to open up the sound, applied a splash of reverb to compliment what was there and help fill out the room sound a bit, and added the tiniest bit of limiting. Dynamics are still very much in tact, and I did zero "slamming”, so you can turn it up nice and loud and it will still be pleasant on the ears. Again, what was broadcast already sounded excellent - kudos to the engineer who mixed this before Sirius aired it!

Real quick note: As with the other “Live At Home” broadcasts, Sirius didn’t really let the end of each song finish playing out naturally before playing the audio from the next request video. Taking that into account, there’s very little (in some cases almost zero) time between the song ending and where the next fan's request audio began playing, so here’s what I’ve done about that: I laid everything out and did quick crossfades between songs so that it has a back-to-back-to-back live performance feel as much as possible. On the songs where they did leave a few seconds of natural song ending space before playing the next fan request (like "The Maker", thankfully, which was an absolutely stunning performance), I left those decaying notes in there until the last possible nanosecond. In cases where they ended the audio almost immediately at the end (like "Break For It"), I simply moved into the next song at the latest possible instant before they cut it, so there’s no weird silence or audio drop. ("Break For It" was such a rad performance with Dave doing looping, by the way - so cool!) If they had left more time at the end of the songs for the music to fade out naturally, I assure you I would have let the songs breathe a bit more before starting the next one so they would not be right on top of each other, but I’m working with what they’re giving us, lol. Just a heads up about why some songs are so close together.

LINK (Dropbox):
https://bit.ly/3n0jkgU

There are two folders - one in WAV format (I’ll keep those up for a little while until I need to claim the space back for any other DMB related mastering projects I might tackle down the road), and one in High Quality MP3 format for those wanting to listen on mobile (which I’ll keep up even longer than the WAVs since they are smaller files). I also saved the band's Instagram post about the show and used that as the artwork for the MP3 files, but feel free to use your own, of course.

Note: I appreciate this community so much. It’s really cool to have a place to talk with like-minded people who appreciate this band’s music like I do, so I enjoy working on these little mastering projects to share with y'all whenever I get the time to do so. I hope whoever wants to hear this enjoys it!

Last edited by djamieb; 04-18-2021 at 09:03 PM.
djamieb is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-18-2021, 09:07 PM   #2
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Dave (solo): Live At Home Sirius XM Broadcast, April 16th 2021 (mastered by djami

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djamieb View Post
    Hey, y'all!

For those interested in listening to my mastered version of the Sirius XM Broadcast of Dave’s solo performance that aired on April 16th, 2021, I've uploaded what I worked on (similar to what I did for the previous Dave solo “Live At Home” broadcasts in 2020 and the recent SPAC ’04 show, although this particular broadcast sounded really good already, so what I’ve done here is subtle and focused on small enhancements because it didn't need anything drastic to get there).

In this paragraph, I’ll highlight what I did during the light and tasteful mastering process in case you’re interested in that stuff. (If you’d rather go straight to the link below to hear the files at this point, though, all good!) The volume in the original files I worked on was good and loud, so my process didn’t include making it much louder, and the sound quality of what was broadcast was already very nice - my purpose for this mastering was just to nudge it even more in that direction and focus on cleaning up a few key areas. I applied a bit of dynamic EQ to clean up some of the frequencies and even things out (particularly to tame some of the boominess in Dave’s guitar at certain points), brought some clarity and detail to Dave’s vocals/guitars and a pleasant sheen to the high frequencies, created a bit more stereo spread to open up the sound, applied a splash of reverb to compliment what was there and help fill out the room sound a bit, and added the tiniest bit of limiting. Dynamics are still very much in tact, and I did zero "slamming”, so you can turn it up nice and loud and it will still be pleasant on the ears. Again, what was broadcast already sounded excellent - kudos to the engineer who mixed this before Sirius aired it!

Real quick note: As with the other “Live At Home” broadcasts, Sirius didn’t really let the end of each song finish playing out naturally before playing the audio from the next request video. Taking that into account, there’s very little (in some cases almost zero) time between the song ending and where the next fan's request audio began playing, so here’s what I’ve done about that: I laid everything out and did quick crossfades between songs so that it has a back-to-back-to-back live performance feel as much as possible. On the songs where they did leave a few seconds of natural song ending space before playing the next fan request (like "The Maker", thankfully, which was an absolutely stunning performance), I left those decaying notes in there until the last possible nanosecond. In cases where they ended the audio almost immediately at the end (like "Break For It"), I simply moved into the next song at the latest possible instant before they cut it, so there’s no weird silence or audio drop. ("Break For It" was such a rad performance with Dave doing looping, by the way - so cool!) If they had left more time at the end of the songs for the music to fade out naturally, I assure you I would have let the songs breathe a bit more before starting the next one so they would not be right on top of each other, but I’m working with what they’re giving us, lol. Just a heads up about why some songs are so close together.

LINK (Dropbox):
    https://bit.ly/3n0jkgU

There are two folders - one in WAV format (I’ll keep those up for a little while until I need to claim the space back for any other DMB related mastering projects I might tackle down the road), and one in High Quality MP3 format for those wanting to listen on mobile (which I’ll keep up even longer than the WAVs since they are smaller files). I also saved the band's Instagram post about the show and used that as the artwork for the MP3 files, but feel free to use your own, of course.

Note: I appreciate this community so much. It’s really cool to have a place to talk with like-minded people who appreciate this band’s music like I do, so I enjoy working on these little mastering projects to share with y'all whenever I get the time to do so. I hope whoever wants to hear this enjoys it!

I was looking forward to it! Thanks Djamieb, simply amazing.
    Old 04-18-2021, 11:17 PM   #3
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Dave (solo): Live At Home Sirius XM Broadcast, April 16th 2021 (mastered by djami

Can't wait! Thanks, Djamieb!
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 12:45 AM   #4
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Listened the whole remaster on my way to work. You can hear every whisper of Dave, amazing.

It is difficult to improve what was already almost perfect. Djamieb succeeded in doing this.
    Old 04-19-2021, 04:40 AM   #5
    daspfund22

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

After listening to this, where can I find your others?
    daspfund22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 05:09 AM   #6
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Listening now! Thank you Jaimie for all the work it does these unique performances the justice they deserve. If they never get officially released for purchase that's okay because of we have such a quality recording.
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 05:21 AM   #7
    acedmb

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks a ton for doing this. Sounds incredible!
    acedmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 05:32 AM   #8
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

DAMN WHAT A SET. i missed this and am thankful. david can still wow us sometimes
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 06:22 AM   #9
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Thank you so much!
    Old 04-19-2021, 06:56 AM   #10
    candyman#41

Shows Seen: 40

My Tour Central Stats

Thank you, Jaimie!
    candyman#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 07:12 AM   #11
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks a lot for this. As much as I love listening to these performances, I can do without the "Hi Daveeeeeeee" between each song lol
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 07:29 AM   #12
    kmb40oz

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Absolutely beautiful. Well done.

I've already added these to my Spotify and can't get over how great The Maker sounds in my car.
    Old 04-19-2021, 07:56 AM   #13
    DMBlunts

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

The link shows up as an error for me, this happening to anyone else?
    #22 in 2021.
    DMBlunts is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 07:57 AM   #14
    DEMITRI

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Hey, not sure if theres something wrong on my end but I'm getting an error message when I click the link?
    DEMITRI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 08:04 AM   #15
    mquerques92

Shows Seen: 62

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBlunts View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DEMITRI View Post
    Hey, not sure if theres something wrong on my end but I'm getting an error message when I click the link?
    Also getting an error
    mquerques92 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 08:09 AM   #16
    Gravedigger789

My Tour Central Stats

Same error. Hope to get a refresh from you, sir! Your work is simply sensational. Can't wait to add this to the davepod.
    I will when I can
    Gravedigger789 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 08:22 AM   #17
    djamieb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mquerques92 View Post
    Also getting an error
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gravedigger789 View Post
    Same error. Hope to get a refresh from you, sir! Your work is simply sensational. Can't wait to add this to the davepod.

Hey, thanks for bringing this to my attention. It was working just fine last night and this morning, as far as I can tell. I just checked the link after seeing these 4 comments and sure enough... seems like the link got shut down or something. Not sure what happened, but I'll reach out to Dropbox support to see if there's an error or maybe if someone reported it and got it shut down or something like that. (Doesn't seem likely that someone would flag that, since I'm not sharing anything that hasn't already been distributed freely, but just thinking through options of what could be causing that disruption). I'll circle back later today if I can find something out. Thanks, y'all.
    Old 04-19-2021, 08:30 AM   #18
    Fpuonpko

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

dang it, I missed it
    Fpuonpko is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 08:30 AM   #19
    djamieb

My Tour Central Stats

It could also simply be large amounts of traffic that made Dropbox shut down the link. Still looking into it.
    Old 04-19-2021, 08:50 AM   #20
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mquerques92 View Post
    Also getting an error

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djamieb View Post
    It could also simply be large amounts of traffic that made Dropbox shut down the link. Still looking into it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gravedigger789 View Post

Quote:

Quote:

I have uploaded everything here, this should work

https://mega.nz/file/vBJFkaab#XehyLX...nrQaF1kLwGZj3s
    Old 04-19-2021, 09:12 AM   #21
    Gravedigger789

My Tour Central Stats

Damn my old ass macbook pro can't access mega download lol. Thanks for helping out others, Xcacel!
    I will when I can
    Gravedigger789 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 09:39 AM   #22
    Fpuonpko

My Tour Central Stats

thank you! I am downloading that now.

great team work!
    Old 04-19-2021, 09:41 AM   #23
    groogrux27

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

thanks so much
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
    groogrux27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 09:52 AM   #24
    ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

Sounds heavenly
    Old 04-19-2021, 11:06 AM   #25
    RainDog1980

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Sounds great, dude. Thanks!
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 11:16 AM   #26
    Utopia
    Minutes and hours

Shows Seen: 91

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks so much! Man, he sounds great. Minarets sounds so old school. He really can 'wow' us when he wants to.
    Old 04-19-2021, 11:45 AM   #27
    Bmwm3oz

Shows Seen: 48

My Tour Central Stats

Funny... I recorded one of those fan videos asking for ‘Up and Away’, but forgot to send it in.

I haven’t listened to or seen this broadcast because I don’t have Xm, but did a fan request that one or did he just open the show with it on his own? It hasn’t been played since 2006 and it’s such an underrated song in my
    Opinion.
    Bmwm3oz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2021, 12:20 PM   #28
    Fpuonpko

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    I have uploaded everything here, this should work

https://mega.nz/file/vBJFkaab#XehyLX...nrQaF1kLwGZj3s

could you upload the flac?
    Old 04-19-2021, 12:22 PM   #29
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fpuonpko View Post
    could you upload the flac?

No, I didn’t get the FLAC from the original Dropbox link.
    Old 04-19-2021, 01:41 PM   #30
    djamieb

My Tour Central Stats

Hey, y'all.

Dropbox is being weird and I can't get a definitive answer on what happened to that link (or why the links to shows I previously shared won't work now, either). Best guess from researching a lot online is that the Dropbox quickly hit some sort of bandwidth cap and prevented that link and all of my other DB links from working, as well. (They essentially have very limited support for folks with basic plans, so it's all kind of an educated guess based on reading posts on support forums from folks who had something similar happen to them.)

Anyway, here's a new link (not Dropbox) with the WAVs and MP3s. (As an alternative to my theory above, if I'm not meant to be sharing these, and some sort of flag is what silently happened here, I'll be happy to learn more about why from any party involved so I can comply. I'm certainly not trying to be dodgy or anything by sharing a new link; I'm assuming it was purely a Dropbox bandwidth scenario since no one has reached out to me with a request to remove this link / any of the past links or anything like that.) In the meantime, hope this is alright to share again!

https://bit.ly/3tyroI5

Tags
    dave , djamieb , mastered , sirius , solo