Official Goose (the band) Discussion - Page 73 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-19-2022, 06:18 PM   #2161
WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Official Goose (the band) Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mposey34 View Post
Just starting to listen to his group. Someone recommend a good show to get me hooked
It's not up yet, but the Bonnaroo set is also a good intro show. High energy, great jams, accessible songs, fun covers and it's only about 2 hours. Should be up in the next few days.
WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-19-2022, 09:04 PM   #2162
    TwoStep2888
    Freak Time

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Animal is so funky
    Old 06-20-2022, 08:03 AM   #2163
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Goose on CBS Saturday morning this weekend. Music segment is normally between 9-10am

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-20-2022, 03:08 PM   #2164
    crush_me_16125

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    It's not up yet, but the Bonnaroo set is also a good intro show. High energy, great jams, accessible songs, fun covers and it's only about 2 hours. Should be up in the next few days.
    Wondering if Bonnaroo has a curfew now or if Goose just choose to stick within their scheduled set limit. Historically late night sets closing the tents meant carte blanche for bands to play as long as they wanted. A number of epic jam band sets came from those time slots in the early(ish) Roo years. Was hoping Goose would let one rip. Maybe they aren’t ready for that yet. I’m sure it was still a good show, certainly looks that way on paper, but really thought that was an opportunity to take things to a special rare level.
    crush_me_16125 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-20-2022, 05:19 PM   #2165
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crush_me_16125 View Post
    Wondering if Bonnaroo has a curfew now or if Goose just choose to stick within their scheduled set limit. Historically late night sets closing the tents meant carte blanche for bands to play as long as they wanted. A number of epic jam band sets came from those time slots in the early(ish) Roo years. Was hoping Goose would let one rip. Maybe they aren’t ready for that yet. I’m sure it was still a good show, certainly looks that way on paper, but really thought that was an opportunity to take things to a special rare level.
    Wondered that too. It's not like they had to go anywhere the next day. Pretty sure they hung out through Sunday. I saw them hanging out at Superjam, I was about 20 ft away from all of them (except Rick who performed). I also saw Ben with his fiancé wandering around before Tool. Heard they were in the crowd. They were smoking mad blunts at superjam.
    Old 06-20-2022, 08:29 PM   #2166
    mr. testaverde
    King of Prussia

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crush_me_16125 View Post
    Particle late night Bonnaroo 2003 remains to this day one of my favorite sets of music ive ever seen. We had so. much. fun. I got back to camp after the sun came up

Robert Randolph late night ‘roo 04 was a lotta fun too
    Old 06-21-2022, 02:30 AM   #2167
    AndySlash
    Falling Hard

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

roo hasn’t had the late night spontaneity and long sets in years, unfortunately. they used to give bands full show length time slots and now even headliners are lucky to get a two hour slot.

that said, this was my first time seeing goose live - i have watched a couple streams so felt prepared enough to know what to expect - and i have to say that i don’t think they made the most of this opportunity, especially given the comparatively long late night slot they did get. i saw some dude with a “not 100% sold on goose” tank top at some point over the weekend and that pretty much sums up my feelings on them before /and/ after the show. although, i will give them props for guesting at other folks’ shows- that is another thing that doesn’t happen as much anymore and it was nice to see them pop up here and there over the whole weekend.

Discogs
    AndySlash is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2022, 05:07 AM   #2168
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndySlash View Post
    roo hasn’t had the late night spontaneity and long sets in years, unfortunately. they used to give bands full show length time slots and now even headliners are lucky to get a two hour slot.

that said, this was my first time seeing goose live - i have watched a couple streams so felt prepared enough to know what to expect - and i have to say that i don’t think they made the most of this opportunity, especially given the comparatively long late night slot they did get. i saw some dude with a “not 100% sold on goose” tank top at some point over the weekend and that pretty much sums up my feelings on them before /and/ after the show. although, i will give them props for guesting at other folks’ shows- that is another thing that doesn’t happen as much anymore and it was nice to see them pop up here and there over the whole weekend.

That shirt is basically a meme (or whatever) that I believe started bc of how many Phish fans would say that exact comment. Someone correct me if that’s wrong.
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2022, 05:34 AM   #2169
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Yea those shirts are a joke worn by goose fans.

This was actually posted on twitter this weekend after the roo set
    https://twitter.com/syllogisme_/stat...XYxUYMEgdpee8Q

for those wondering how the goose bonnaroo set was, my boyfriend literally ripped his “not 100% sold on goose” tank in half mid-set and threw it into the crowd

Also not sure what else you could want from a fest set like that set list wise. That’s pretty much straight high energy songs start to finish in that set with some true dance tunes and funk mixed in.

Quote:
    Old 06-21-2022, 05:42 AM   #2170
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr. testaverde View Post
    Particle late night Bonnaroo 2003 remains to this day one of my favorite sets of music ive ever seen. We had so. much. fun. I got back to camp after the sun came up

Robert Randolph late night ‘roo 04 was a lotta fun too
    The Flaming Lips > Particle in the tent in 03 was epic. I’m not sure how my body survived that night but what a night it was!

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2022, 06:30 AM   #2171
    RAPUNZEL13
    They Attack!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

When does the Dripfield vinyl ship out? Looks like not until 6/24? That can’t be right.
    Old 06-21-2022, 06:37 AM   #2172
    tubaguy1145

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RAPUNZEL13 View Post
    When does the Dripfield vinyl ship out? Looks like not until 6/24? That can’t be right.
    Not sure when pre-orders will ship, but 6/24 is the official release date. At least one person has already posted on Reddit that they have it in hand.

Also, it looks like the Goose webstore is selling a different color vinyl than Amazon (pink marble vs white).
    tubaguy1145 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2022, 07:16 AM   #2173
    RAPUNZEL13
    They Attack!

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah starting to think maybe I should have just dropped by my local record store on Friday
    Old 06-21-2022, 09:55 AM   #2174
    crush_me_16125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Thats unfortunate that the marathon late night sets have become a thing of the past. Like others in here, I count a Roo late night set amongst my all time favorite shows/sets/concerts; moe. 2009 sunrise set. I remember after that show walking back to camp with the sun up, and I don't mean like peaking over the horizon, but I mean like up in the sky well into the new day status. What a great time. I was hoping Goose would bring some of that magic to the people in attendance this year.
    Old 06-21-2022, 10:07 AM   #2175
    crush_me_16125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post

Also not sure what else you could want from a fest set like that set list wise. That’s pretty much straight high energy songs start to finish in that set with some true dance tunes and funk mixed in.
    I guess the argument would be that it was just that, a festival set. So if you were looking for that special/magical moment which used to be the thing that Roo late night jam sets were made of, then you could be let down.

I'm sure it was a great time but it was also about the most predictable, or chalky if you will, set list that they could have played. Their arguably 5 most popular songs, 4 songs from the album to be released the next week, played exactly to set times.

I get it, they are still on the rise, its the prototype festival set to bring in new fans, promote yourself on that stage. And I'm sure they did that and rocked it. But I am not surprised that some could have anticipated them doing something 'more'. Perhaps expectations were just too high, but to whom much is given much is expected.
    Old 06-21-2022, 10:12 AM   #2176
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

That wasnt a regular festival set for them though, thats my point. They brought some extra heat at least as far at the set list shows.
    Who knows what the set time thing is, maybe they werent allowed to play later, but also worth mentioning is that they arent used to playing for 2+ straight hours.

Quote:

Last edited by TheLastPig; 06-21-2022 at 10:14 AM.
    Old 06-21-2022, 10:19 AM   #2177
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

They almost never play sets without cooldown songs.

Slow Ready>
    Fish In The Sea>
    Arcadia
    Creatures>
    Arrow>

That run is a monster and lots of heavy hitting/ripper and dance songs.

Theyre also playing to a new crowd so playing stuff on your album that isnt even out yet isnt as chalky as you seem to want to make it imo.

Quote:
    Old 06-21-2022, 10:44 AM   #2178
    crush_me_16125

My Tour Central Stats

I'll give you all of that except.... playing a mix of your biggest hits plus songs on the new album that is about to drop IS 100% chalky. Its exactly what *insert any big name mass popularity rock/country/pop band* does at festival shows.

I'm not mad, like I said I'm sure it was a great time. I'm just saying I could understand the viewpoint of others including the guy who posted on here earlier saying that he thought they would do more with the opportunity.
    Old 06-21-2022, 10:52 AM   #2179
    AndySlash
    Falling Hard

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

lol i should have known that shirt was a meme. but for me, it's true. i keep giving these guys chances, probably more than any band in recent memory becauce i want to believe - i even had tix for them here in february but had to sell them after we got eddie vedder shows over the same nights - and i guess something is just missing for me from them right now. lots of positive comments on the farm and the net, so my opinion about their set is probably in the minority. i can't say i had any expectations, really, i just wanted to be wowed, finally, and this roo set felt like their opportunity to finally do it for me and... they just didn't.

i wish particle was still around. i wish i was at that 03 set. cool that people here were, i didn't start going until 04.

Discogs
    AndySlash is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2022, 10:54 AM   #2180
    BruceW

My Tour Central Stats

Do more how though? Play some obscure song he and most probably don’t even know? Jam longer? Float off stage and over the crowd?

That’s what I want to know.
    Old 06-21-2022, 10:55 AM   #2181
    BruceW

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    lol i should have known that shirt was a meme. but for me, it's true. i keep giving these guys chances, probably more than any band in recent memory becauce i want to believe - i even had tix for them here in february but had to sell them after we got eddie vedder shows over the same nights - and i guess something is just missing for me from them right now. lots of positive comments on the farm and the net, so my opinion about their set is probably in the minority. i can't say i had any expectations, really, i just wanted to be wowed, finally, and this roo set felt like their opportunity to finally do it for me and... they just didn't.

i wish particle was still around. i wish i was at that 03 set. cool that people here were, i didn't start going until 04.

If you have them a chance that’s all you can do. Maybe they’re not for you then.

All good!
    Old 06-21-2022, 10:58 AM   #2182
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    Do more how though? Play some obscure song he and most probably don’t even know? Jam longer? Float off stage and over the crowd?

That’s what I want to know.
    Yea this is what im asking.

If they play more obscure songs the set is less vibey/dancey, which is what you should be going for during a late night set. I mean Fish in the Sea is a real treat and pretty rare, one of the top things im chasing.

It was their first time playing Bonnaroo and theyre a relatively unknown band, thats kind of what happens, you play your big songs.

Quote:

Last edited by TheLastPig; 06-21-2022 at 10:59 AM.
    Old 06-21-2022, 11:38 AM   #2183
    laverwater

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

There are two other factors that are also being overlooked from Bonnaroo:

1) It was very hot this weekend, which can make it difficult for a band to play for more than 2 hours straight.
    2) Bonnaroo is not the same festival that it was back when people played all night. The majority of fans attending now are more casual, mainstream music fans. Most of them don't want to see a band play longer than 2 hours.
    laverwater is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2022, 01:00 PM   #2184
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Was at Bonnaroo, was a heater of a set. Fourth time seeing the band and my last time seeing them (Memphis back in May) was a dud of a show. Can assure you, Bonnaroo was a monster set. They didn't need to play another hour. They made their point and created some new fans. They definitely pushed the last song (Empress) as if they were up against a curfew.
    Old 06-21-2022, 02:55 PM   #2185
    crush_me_16125

My Tour Central Stats

The Goose fan base is quickly becoming one of the most passionate out there, fervently promoting how everything they do is perfect and the best thing ever. I mean sure it’s a good setlist and Im sure people had a great time, but you guys really can’t see how they could have done more and how others may have expected something special coming from that band, in that spot, in that situation?

What more you ask? Well here’s just a few examples:

https://archive.org/details/moe2002-06-22km140.shnf

https://archive.org/details/um2004-0...4minime.flac16

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/galac...-73df5efd.html

https://archive.org/details/kwi2002-06-21.shnf

https://archive.org/details/sts9-200...ecnica825.shnf

https://archive.org/details/particle...6-14fixed.shnf

https://archive.org/details/moe2009-06-13.sbd

These are just a few examples of the many special sets that have come from that Roo late night slot. All of these stand out amongst their respective fanbases (and most amongst jam band fans as a whole) as special sets and all timers from the respective bands. The Goose show will go down as just another 2022 set, albeit a good one, amongst many other good ones. Nothing about it makes it special or standout. And that’s fine, again I’m sure they rocked it out and all present enjoyed themselves. But if you can’t see the other point of view that others anticipated (or hoped) they’d do something more, something special, then you really have an incredibly myopic viewpoint here.
    Old 06-21-2022, 03:37 PM   #2186
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Im more than fine with criticisms of the band. I was asking specifically what goose themselves should have done more, your only point seems to be to have played longer? Like did you want guests? Maybe a more monster jam? We haven’t even heard the set yet lol.

The stuff you’re pointing to isn’t stuff that is really even a part of roo anymore.

Quote:

Last edited by TheLastPig; 06-21-2022 at 03:38 PM.
    Old 06-21-2022, 03:50 PM   #2187
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

The only relatively “recent” one here is Moe from 13 years ago. The rest are from ~20 years ago.

Roo isn’t what it used to be and there’s a good chance that a band really doesn’t have much of a say in that.
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2022, 04:07 PM   #2188
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

I’m pretty sure goose played the longest set of any actual band at Roo this year fwiw

Quote:
    Old 06-21-2022, 04:41 PM   #2189
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    The only relatively “recent” one here is Moe from 13 years ago. The rest are from ~20 years ago.

Roo isn’t what it used to be and there’s a good chance that a band really doesn’t have much of a say in that.
    yeah, I won't proclaim to be a Bonnaroo regular by any means — I went in 2013 and 2014 and had a blast — but the festival is very different than it was 8 or 9 years ago, let alone almost 20 years ago. I think many of us wish it was still the Bonnaroo of the early days, but that era is gone and isn't coming back. Looked like an awesome Goose set nevertheless. I'm anxiously awaiting for it to hit Nugs, and hopefully a highlight or two on YouTube.
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2022, 06:52 AM   #2190
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    I’m pretty sure goose played the longest set of any actual band at Roo this year fwiw
    Tied with PPPP. Both played 2 hour sets. PPPP played over until 4 AM.

Kinda reiterates the argument that those late night sets CAN play late but Goose did not. I standby my statement earlier that they rushed through Empress. It was right up against their slot ending and they played like they were up against a curfew.

Bonnaroo was a TIGHTLY run ship. No set started late, if anything a few started a few min early. As others have mentioned, I don't think there's much leniency on the schedule anymore. They're probably paying crews overtime when they go past their scheduled slot, especially with those late nights.