'suspicious death' of man found unconscious at Dave Matthews Band concert - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 09:51 AM   #1
-DMB

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

'suspicious death' of man found unconscious at Dave Matthews Band concert

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...b6b72.amp.html

Saw this scrolling through my news app

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #2
    Claym82

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: 'suspicious death' of man found unconscious at Dave Matthews Band concert

I am surprised there is other talk of this
    A man was likely murdered at the end of a show
    Old 05-19-2019, 01:56 PM   #3
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

There was talk about this in another thread. Maybe we can get that conversation moved here? This is a terribly sad and tragic happening. And of all places, an event in which we are all intended to spread love and joy and togetherness. My heart goes out to this family..
    Old 05-19-2019, 01:59 PM   #4
    Claym82

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Some one had to have seen something
    Old 05-19-2019, 03:22 PM   #5
    karczews41

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Ya I don’t know how this happened at the end of a show and no one saw anything. Crowd, crowd management, security, and is assume some cameras in there (at least at the gates of most venues).
    Old 05-19-2019, 03:33 PM   #6
    pbroderi86

Shows Seen: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I read somewhere else he was there with his wife. She realized she misplaced/lost a T-shirt that she had bought and he went to retrace their steps. After not coming back for a bit, she went looking for him. I’ll post a link if I can find somewhere - doesn’t seem like much else is known.
    Old 05-19-2019, 03:47 PM   #7
    SeanMH
    GoWokeGoBroke

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

probably got into a fight or beaten while robbed

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Klize17 View Post
    Last nights was the best version of Satellite I have ever heard.
    Old 05-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #8
    tubaguy1145

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

The sister-in-law of the deceased posted a link in the St. Louis show thread with some more details. Sounds like maybe it happened shortly after the show? Either way, so so sad to hear.

Here’s the link from the other thread: http://https://krcgtv.com/news/local/maryland-heights-police-investigate-jefferson-city-mans-death-as-suspicious
    Old 05-19-2019, 03:58 PM   #9
    SeanMH
    GoWokeGoBroke

Shows Seen: 87

My Tour Central Stats

so is his name Jasen or Jason?? hate when articles make mistakes

seems like he confronted someone over the shirt and a fight broke out... possibly

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Klize17 View Post
    Last nights was the best version of Satellite I have ever heard.
    Old 05-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #10
    dinkyvision

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by karczews41 View Post
    Ya I don’t know how this happened at the end of a show and no one saw anything. Crowd, crowd management, security, and is assume some cameras in there (at least at the gates of most venues).
    I was violently assaulted literally 2 minutes after the house lights came on in 2008. In the pavilion seats. 75% of the crowd were still under the canopy walking towards exits while it happened. I posted here and other places trying to get anyone who saw any part of it whatsoever... no one replied. Dude beat me with both hands while I was unconscious maybe 30’ from the soundboard. Not a single person stopped, came over (my now wife was screaming hysterically for help). Guy took off. No one stopped him. When security & EMTa arrived, they laughed upon seeing my nose & face (broken in 14 places) because they though I was drunk and fell on my face.

People are jerks.
    Old 05-20-2019, 01:09 PM   #11
    thewitt85

Shows Seen: 43

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dinkyvision View Post
    I was violently assaulted literally 2 minutes after the house lights came on in 2008. In the pavilion seats. 75% of the crowd were still under the canopy walking towards exits while it happened. I posted here and other places trying to get anyone who saw any part of it whatsoever... no one replied. Dude beat me with both hands while I was unconscious maybe 30’ from the soundboard. Not a single person stopped, came over (my now wife was screaming hysterically for help). Guy took off. No one stopped him. When security & EMTa arrived, they laughed upon seeing my nose & face (broken in 14 places) because they though I was drunk and fell on my face.

People are jerks.

That's terrible man. Did you have an earlier altercation with him or anything?
    Old 05-20-2019, 01:12 PM   #12
    Bmwm3oz

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

There was an incident at the Phish concert @ Gorge last year. I believe two guys mugged a dude and hit him over the head with a rock or something.

No idea this stuff happened at concerts.. and it's scary to read that people just ignore what's going on.

As someone else said, someone HAD to have seen something. The idea that this person hasn't said anything about it is insane.
    Old 05-20-2019, 02:40 PM   #13
    kevdmb

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz View Post
    There was an incident at the Phish concert @ Gorge last year. I believe two guys mugged a dude and hit him over the head with a rock or something.

No idea this stuff happened at concerts.. and it's scary to read that people just ignore what's going on.

As someone else said, someone HAD to have seen something. The idea that this person hasn't said anything about it is insane.
    I think the Phish incident was over "Nitrous turf" or something, if I remember correctly.
    Old 05-21-2019, 04:13 AM   #14
    dinkyvision

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thewitt85 View Post
    That's terrible man. Did you have an earlier altercation with him or anything?
    Nope. Not even remotely.

Don’t want to get super into it but since it makes no sense without the context (not that it makes any sense WITH the context...).

It was a guy that I knew, & he was aware I was at the show & kept an eye out for me. He obviously found me. He was the brother of my wife’s ex. They had broken up 2-3 months prior (which at the time the ex was not at all bothered with and was 100% ok with & had been done with the relationship for some time at that point anyway). Her & I had been friends as part of a larger group for a few years. Her & I were “friendly” with each other at that point in that we were into each other but absolutely had not even so much as kissed yet. I had 2 pavilion seats & several other friends were all in lawn. I had bought the seats with my buddy as the other.. as show approaches, I ask her & my buddy if we could sit in seats (her & I) & friend was cool with it as he could then hang with all our other friends in lawn. Day of show was my bday (29) and we all hired an SUV & driver. Ex’s brother found out we’re we at show “together” and surmised that the reason she dumped his brother (again it was fully agreed jointly when they split and no one dumped the other) and I’m not sure if he called his brother (her ex) from show and got the “order” or if he just decided to “teach me a lesson” himself himself but when house lights came up, instead of fighting the crowd, her & I just kinda sit on the backs of our seats to people watch for 5 min as crowd disperses then plan is to meat friends at limo service lot area for ride home. He saw me, sort of jogs up to me and yells my name (we were second to last row of 202 row YY 2 seats in from sides, and so the main aisle was directly behind us :ZZ is handicapped seating and has the big gaps), as I hear my name I turn thinking it’s a friend as I often run into ppl at shows. I didn’t immediately recognize him as I barely knew the guy and he had then grown a beard but as it’s registering who he his he just hits me (he also yelled something to the effect of “this is what u get”. Not sure if it was the first or second punch that knocked me out but I woke up slumped back in the seat pouring blood. She’s screaming for help and didn’t have her cell phone. She didn’t know how to open & use my iPhone (this was a year after they were released & she had a blackberry) to call anyone. No security ran up. It was nuts. Apparently after I went down, he climbed over the seat back and sort of straddles my body while punching repeatedly with both fists. (He tried to claim it was a single punch yet the CT scans show my nose being broken both ways several times clearly showing hits from both directions over and over). Dude is a psycho. Was discharged from military for fighting (dishonorable I believe) and he was drunk. Again, all on my 29th bday, on essentially one of our first dates, seeing my fav band on a Saturday with friends and a car service. It was supposed to be a good day. I was in the hospital until like 6am getting CT & MRI scans. I definitely don’t dig my bday after that. But, 11 years later and her & I have been married since 2013. We’ve been to like 19 shows in 5 different states so far.

He was charged by the state... there was a 6 day jury trial (just over a year later) & he was found guilty of a class 4 aggravated assault felony. His sentence was 24 hours which is total BS.

Last edited by dinkyvision; 05-21-2019 at 04:18 AM.
    Old 05-21-2019, 04:43 AM   #15
    NextMovement41
    BBQ BEER FREEDOM

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dinkyvision View Post
    Nope. Not even remotely.

Don’t want to get super into it but since it makes no sense without the context (not that it makes any sense WITH the context...).

It was a guy that I knew, & he was aware I was at the show & kept an eye out for me. He obviously found me. He was the brother of my wife’s ex. They had broken up 2-3 months prior (which at the time the ex was not at all bothered with and was 100% ok with & had been done with the relationship for some time at that point anyway). Her & I had been friends as part of a larger group for a few years. Her & I were “friendly” with each other at that point in that we were into each other but absolutely had not even so much as kissed yet. I had 2 pavilion seats & several other friends were all in lawn. I had bought the seats with my buddy as the other.. as show approaches, I ask her & my buddy if we could sit in seats (her & I) & friend was cool with it as he could then hang with all our other friends in lawn. Day of show was my bday (29) and we all hired an SUV & driver. Ex’s brother found out we’re we at show “together” and surmised that the reason she dumped his brother (again it was fully agreed jointly when they split and no one dumped the other) and I’m not sure if he called his brother (her ex) from show and got the “order” or if he just decided to “teach me a lesson” himself himself but when house lights came up, instead of fighting the crowd, her & I just kinda sit on the backs of our seats to people watch for 5 min as crowd disperses then plan is to meat friends at limo service lot area for ride home. He saw me, sort of jogs up to me and yells my name (we were second to last row of 202 row YY 2 seats in from sides, and so the main aisle was directly behind us :ZZ is handicapped seating and has the big gaps), as I hear my name I turn thinking it’s a friend as I often run into ppl at shows. I didn’t immediately recognize him as I barely knew the guy and he had then grown a beard but as it’s registering who he his he just hits me (he also yelled something to the effect of “this is what u get”. Not sure if it was the first or second punch that knocked me out but I woke up slumped back in the seat pouring blood. She’s screaming for help and didn’t have her cell phone. She didn’t know how to open & use my iPhone (this was a year after they were released & she had a blackberry) to call anyone. No security ran up. It was nuts. Apparently after I went down, he climbed over the seat back and sort of straddles my body while punching repeatedly with both fists. (He tried to claim it was a single punch yet the CT scans show my nose being broken both ways several times clearly showing hits from both directions over and over). Dude is a psycho. Was discharged from military for fighting (dishonorable I believe) and he was drunk. Again, all on my 29th bday, on essentially one of our first dates, seeing my fav band on a Saturday with friends and a car service. It was supposed to be a good day. I was in the hospital until like 6am getting CT & MRI scans. I definitely don’t dig my bday after that. But, 11 years later and her & I have been married since 2013. We’ve been to like 19 shows in 5 different states so far.

He was charged by the state... there was a 6 day jury trial (just over a year later) & he was found guilty of a class 4 aggravated assault felony. His sentence was 24 hours which is total BS.
    Wow that's completely fucked, but at least he's a convicted felon now so that will follow him until he dies.
    Old 05-21-2019, 04:45 AM   #16
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

My Tour Central Stats

I’m surprised people are surprised this happens, been seeing it for 20 years now! Saw a brawl in 02 or 03 heading into the Starlake, right in the middle of rt 22! Traffic had been stopped for a while to get in, people were drunk and hot and irritated...horns start blowing, expletitives start flying, and next thing I know dozens of idiots are out of their cars throwing fists!

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    Old 05-21-2019, 05:00 AM   #17
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 View Post
    I’m surprised people are surprised this happens, been seeing it for 20 years now! Saw a brawl in 02 or 03 heading into the Starlake, right in the middle of rt 22! Traffic had been stopped for a while to get in, people were drunk and hot and irritated...horns start blowing, expletitives start flying, and next thing I know dozens of idiots are out of their cars throwing fists!
    This... unfortunately, it's such commonplace that it doesn't even register with people that it happened. It's like trying to remember how many posts you walked by.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    Old 05-21-2019, 06:03 AM   #18
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I can only think of one fight I saw at a concert and it was Blink 182 like 8 years ago, but that was cool because they rolled down the hill fighting like a tom and jerry cartoon it was like a cloud with lighting bolts and stars with *BLAM* *POW* around it
    Old 05-21-2019, 06:52 AM   #19
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

What a horrible story.

I got sucker punched at ACL Festival two years ago on N2. The night was over and we were milling about waiting for a couple people to use the bathroom. I see this big ass dude screaming at his girlfriend as they are walking by. I turn around and start talking to my friends again, ignoring them. For some reason I turn back around to look their way and the dude is right there and punched me in the face. I went down and he hit me two or three more times on the ground while my friends (girls) are screaming for help (which didn't come). He then runs away into the night.

My jaw was swollen and I had some blood in my ear but otherwise I was okay. What scares me to think about is this story and a few on Sixth Street here in town where people have died from shit like this. If he hits me in the wrong spot, maybe I don't get up.

Police came over and asked for a description, which I couldn't really give. They gave me a report number but nothing ever came of it; they never found him (or even looked for him past that minute, I assume.)

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 05-21-2019 at 06:54 AM.
    Old 05-21-2019, 07:05 AM   #20
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

It’s crazy to think that someone can get away with murder in front of thousands of people
    Old 05-21-2019, 07:12 AM   #21
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

All these stories about fights at concerts, and innocent people getting punched in the face, and I never seen anything like this go down at a concert ever.
    Old 05-21-2019, 07:45 AM   #22
    Bmwm3oz

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 View Post
    'been seeing it for 20 years now!' references a brawl from almost 20 years ago.

Been going to concerts since 2001, never seen a fight. Only verbal altercations. Then again, Seattle isn't exactly Philly...
    Old 05-21-2019, 07:47 AM   #23
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

My first DMB show (Hershey 06) there was a fight right next to me. I turned to my brother, who introduced me to the band, and was like, "people fight at these shows too?" Also saw a fight at PJ in 2008 in Camden. Those are the only two fights I remember.

It's a shame people just can't behave themselves. Then again, we're factoring in alcohol, heat, exhaustion and an uncomfortable situation being in a crowd. But still, it's sad. It's soured the concert experience for me sadly. I haven't been to a full blown concert in a couple years, and I'm kinda OK with that.

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Old 05-21-2019, 07:48 AM   #24
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Been going to concerts since 2001, never seen a fight. Only verbal altercations. Then again, Seattle isn't exactly Philly...
    Awww, you're another one of those people

NHL Thread Banner
    Old 05-21-2019, 07:53 AM   #25
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roose13 View Post
    Awww, you're another one of those people
    Yeah, meathead gweedos are how I picture a Camden type crowd
    Old 05-21-2019, 07:56 AM   #26
    garagebrothers

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    All these stories about fights at concerts, and innocent people getting punched in the face, and I never seen anything like this go down at a concert ever.
    ??? I have been seeing DMB for 24 years and have seen them all the time. The crowd has always been filled with drunk bros and those douche nozzles are the worst. The kind that were popular in high school but then they get to college and realize they are just a small fish in a big pond. So to cover up the fact that their dick is sadly 2 inches under average and a couple girls know that he came before he could even get his pants off, he tans alot, wears his awesome babeball hat backwards and gets loud and belligerent every nite when he is sucking down his 12 pack of Natty Lite.

The worst one I ever saw was on the lawn at Spac. This dude had to have been 7 feet tall, was walking past all of us being perfectly nice saying "excuse me" to everyone. He gets one step past me and accidentally bumps into this kid that I shit you not is 5 foot tall. Short stuff doesnt even hesitate, he just looks to see who it was and then punched giraffe in the face and he drops like a sack of taters. Short round is on top of this guy just blasting him in the face and then they got swallowed up by the crowd and that was the last I saw of it. Fighting to me is so fucking pathetic and Neanderthal in a situation like that. Get your shit together you fucking oompa loompa. You want to go to jail because someone bumped into you? Fucking brilliant.
    Old 05-21-2019, 07:57 AM   #27
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Seen plenty of fights at concerts mostly at SPAC. Always college douche-bros. Most wearing lax pinnies. I do not get the tough guy bro mentality and what sort of media or inspiration it comes from.

Last edited by DIDriveOut2SPAC; 05-21-2019 at 08:00 AM.
    Old 05-21-2019, 07:57 AM   #28
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Serious? If someone says something has been going on for 20 years, do you not expect them to give an example from early on in that time span? If I say Dave has been writing shitty music for 20 years, do you not expect me to give an example from 20 years ago, rather than last week?

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    Old 05-21-2019, 08:02 AM   #29
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Says the redneck who can't even spell guido correctly.

NHL Thread Banner
    Old 05-21-2019, 08:03 AM   #30
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roose13 View Post
    Says the redneck who can't even spell guido correctly.
    We're about to see a fight.