Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread - Page 266 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-24-2019, 08:29 AM   #7951
bmt322

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
They've definitely slowed down from where they were a couple years ago
Agreed, and I think that is a function of Carter's longevity. His kit has shrunk.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-24-2019, 08:45 AM   #7952
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They've definitely slowed down from where they were a couple years ago
    except for DDtW...that is too fast and Tim is too distorted and taking up too much of the sound. It's always been dark and heavy, but it used to have nuance and subtlety. Now it's just at TEN from start to finish. Also, get Carter and Buddy to work Alanis's parts. I don't expect the same octave, but those parts are always missing live despite the fact that they don't have to...especially now.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-24-2019, 08:45 AM   #7953
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmt322 View Post
    Agreed, and I think that is a function of Carter's longevity. His kit has shrunk.
    hadn't thought about that...makes sense
    Old 05-24-2019, 09:02 AM   #7954
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    except for DDtW...that is too fast and Tim is too distorted and taking up too much of the sound. It's always been dark and heavy, but it used to have nuance and subtlety. Now it's just at TEN from start to finish. Also, get Carter and Buddy to work Alanis's parts. I don't expect the same octave, but those parts are always missing live despite the fact that they don't have to...especially now.

I agree on the pacing of DDTW and Tim being too heavy on it, I actually love Tim's playing on the Live in Chicago version of it and anything closer to that would be great. The vocals that need to be worked on for it are Dave's at this point, his falsetto between playing solo or D&T vs with the band on it are night and day, I understand it's a different setting but it's the same note.
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-24-2019, 09:16 AM   #7955
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I agree on the pacing of DDTW and Tim being too heavy on it, I actually love Tim's playing on the Live in Chicago version of it and anything closer to that would be great. The vocals that need to be worked on for it are Dave's at this point, his falsetto between playing solo or D&T vs with the band on it are night and day, I understand it's a different setting but it's the same note.
    The full on band setting is not the forum for nuance that it was back with the original five-piece. Falsetto takes a hit for the vast majority of singers as they age, even those that don't smoke or drink. But they pop best when an artist or band are putting in an effort to maximize dynamics. While they still have some, the dynamics aren't what they used to be in DMB. D&T and solo, they're plentiful as you noted.
    Old 05-24-2019, 10:06 AM   #7956
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The full on band setting is not the forum for nuance that it was back with the original five-piece. Falsetto takes a hit for the vast majority of singers as they age, even those that don't smoke or drink. But they pop best when an artist or band are putting in an effort to maximize dynamics. While they still have some, the dynamics aren't what they used to be in DMB. D&T and solo, they're plentiful as you noted.

I am a vocalist and understand how it works, there is nothing based on his age that leaves going "heeeeeooooommmeeeeee" as hard as possible as his only option.
    Old 05-24-2019, 02:17 PM   #7957
    Bmwm3oz

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

https://youtu.be/XmEdzKGGT3A

Watching/listening to this reminds me how much more pleasant this band used to be to listen to. Just right off the bat, tripping billies, you can hear every instrument clearly. Dave’s acoustic is prominent.. etc.

These days (and of course it’s gotten better), it’s just too many instruments in the mix. Too many people competing for sound. I know... it’s so much better now than it was three years ago, but it still sucks.
    Bmwm3oz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-24-2019, 02:57 PM   #7958
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz View Post
    https://youtu.be/XmEdzKGGT3A

Watching/listening to this reminds me how much more pleasant this band used to be to listen to. Just right off the bat, tripping billies, you can hear every instrument clearly. Dave’s acoustic is prominent.. etc.

These days (and of course it’s gotten better), it’s just too many instruments in the mix. Too many people competing for sound. I know... it’s so much better now than it was three years ago, but it still sucks.
    Yeah '99 and Listener Supported year with the original 5 is going to sound better, completely disagree with the current sound sucking though. Some of what they do sucks like organ on LIOG, overall I love how they sound though.
    Old 05-24-2019, 03:57 PM   #7959
    kelchlsm

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Dave and Tim are due for a blu ray concert or something been over 10 years since radio city and there's countless of footage

I'd say D&F too but the licensing is prob way too much to handle with that
    kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-24-2019, 09:40 PM   #7960
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I am a vocalist and understand how it works, there is nothing based on his age that leaves going "heeeeeooooommmeeeeee" as hard as possible as his only option.
    Agreed, but I’m talking more about the band being on on 8-10 for most of the show these days. There’s less ebb and flow And at times it’s the band on 10 and then Dave does Here On Out, Some Devil, or WIW. The acoustic sets were good for showing the dynamic range of the band, but they used to wickedly dynamic with just the five. Loud and heavy, quiet and subtle, subtle and heavy, and so on...
    Old 05-25-2019, 05:25 AM   #7961
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Agreed, but I’m talking more about the band being on on 8-10 for most of the show these days. There’s less ebb and flow And at times it’s the band on 10 and then Dave does Here On Out, Some Devil, or WIW. The acoustic sets were good for showing the dynamic range of the band, but they used to wickedly dynamic with just the five. Loud and heavy, quiet and subtle, subtle and heavy, and so on...
    I mean yeah singing off of extremely loud music is obviously going to naturally raise your vocal level to be heard over it and they are a wall of sound on DDTW, still though he should be able to relax more into that note. I think the band has slowed down and become more dynamic than say three years ago but they aren't as dynamic as they used to be. One of my favorite parts about bringing keys back into the band is that they have been playing softer at certain points like Raven, Grace is Gone, etc.
    Old 05-25-2019, 05:31 AM   #7962
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I noticed the wall of sound at Nashville. Made me want to stop spending excessively and traveling to see them. This band seems to have zero self-awareness. Sad.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Old 05-25-2019, 05:50 AM   #7963
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

The wall of sound doesn’t bother me as much at shows as it does listening to live recordings. I still love seeing the band live but find myself rarely listening to the recent live Trax, bonus discs, etc. it’ll never happen, but I wish they’d do a full acoustic tour one of these years in the fall/winter at smaller venues and then release one of those shows.
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2019, 06:16 AM   #7964
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

My Tour Central Stats

...and when I listen and watch to recorded media, I definitely go for older shows. Most of my recently recorded media is still sitting there in its' shrink-wrap. Super-sad!

Old 05-25-2019, 09:40 PM   #7965
    paultwood1

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

I think it'd be incredibly funny if in Chicago, Dave changed the "there's blood in the water" part of DDTW to "there's shit in the water"
    paultwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2019, 11:33 PM   #7966
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whiteyxc514 View Post
    The wall of sound doesn’t bother me as much at shows as it does listening to live recordings. I still love seeing the band live but find myself rarely listening to the recent live Trax, bonus discs, etc. it’ll never happen, but I wish they’d do a full acoustic tour one of these years in the fall/winter at smaller venues and then release one of those shows.
    I think that’s what I like about this lineup. It’s not so much the wall of sound like it was in like back in 12-16.

The acoustic set never really did anything for me live. I prefer Carter and Fonz on full bast. It was hard to really feel the music when it was all acoustic.

I would like to see Tim use acoustic on some songs in the regular full band setting. That or him just taking a few songs off a night, like on DDTW, Grey Street, Ditch, Ants, and Rapunzel. Those are some I still feel he got way too loud on. This won’t happen tho.
    Old 05-25-2019, 11:38 PM   #7967
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

This is not a nock on Timmy, because it’s not really his fault. Since he went full time his roll has really distracted my focus on Dave’s guitar.

Last edited by tyler3440; 05-25-2019 at 11:43 PM.
    tyler3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-26-2019, 05:47 AM   #7968
    garagebrothers

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmt322 View Post
    This is one of my biggest fears about growing old
    garagebrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-26-2019, 06:30 AM   #7969
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Singing a falsetto in a chair with two acoustic guitars to a fraction of the crowd is definitely different than with a full band standing with a guitar strapped around your shoulders. For starters the body’s positioning is completely different and you absolutely have to sing differently. The energy in a full band show is also much different than playing by yourself or with another acoustic. When you’re trying to match the energy of a full band show, have been moving around and dancing and using up your bodies’ energy, your voice can suffer.

I just played a 45 minute set with my band the other night and was full of energy. I was dancing around, stomping my feet, and using up a lot of energy. By the time I got to the last couple songs I was gassed and falsetto became more difficult because I had to use more energy to get a decent breathe. Yesterday I sat in a chair and played solo for two hours and didn’t have a problem with my falsetto.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-26-2019, 06:41 AM   #7970
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    Singing a falsetto in a chair with two acoustic guitars to a fraction of the crowd is definitely different than with a full band standing with a guitar strapped around your shoulders. For starters the body’s positioning is completely different and you absolutely have to sing differently. The energy in a full band show is also much different than playing by yourself or with another acoustic. When you’re trying to match the energy of a full band show, have been moving around and dancing and using up your bodies’ energy, your voice can suffer.

I just played a 45 minute set with my band the other night and was full of energy. I was dancing around, stomping my feet, and using up a lot of energy. By the time I got to the last couple songs I was gassed and falsetto became more difficult because I had to use more energy to get a decent breathe. Yesterday I sat in a chair and played solo for two hours and didn’t have a problem with my falsetto.

I know it's very different and you move around a lot more than I do but that to me doesn't explain starting the note every time with "heeee" ... I'm hoping to make it to another one of your gigs soon!

Last edited by ToySoldier#34; 05-26-2019 at 06:43 AM.
    Old 05-26-2019, 06:55 AM   #7971
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foreverford05 View Post
    Keep Tim, drop his solos and put him on acoustic where the setting fits

keep rashawn, just minimize his parts, drop his solos, more fills

keep buddy, just add more piano and less church organ

add a violin player

Slow the fuck down

Not too much to as for if you ask me.
    Your list is what I would do to try bringing them back to glory...plus add one more thing: Give a greater percentage of fans the opportunity to hear live the great rare classics: DT, JTR, Stone, Last Stop, Shotgun, etc.

I'm not optimistic though. Dave doesn't have the self-awareness and the musicians around him don't have the courage to bring him to this realization. Also, it counters human nature...is Rashawn going to suggest that he get less playing time? Doubt it. The other thing that counters such a change is the feedback he's getting from the current casual fan: "They go nuts when we play Cornbread...let's keep on doing that!"

Old 05-26-2019, 06:55 AM   #7972
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Dancing around, fully into it, relaxing and going into the note correctly

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7yr983MfFvk
    Old 05-26-2019, 07:47 AM   #7973
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Dancing around, fully into it, relaxing and going into the note correctly

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7yr983MfFvk
    Dancing around first song into the set 16 years ago in his prime. All about breath support my friend. Dave doesn’t seem to pace himself. He just goes for it and aims to put out as much energy as he can. At 52 and many years under his belt he clearly just doesn’t have what he used to. I’m only 37 and I don’t have the same voice I had 6 years ago. Could he do it? Maybe, but his vocal anatomy may have changed given the damage he’s done and sometimes there are things you just can’t get back. My wife is a speech therapist so by default I’ve learned more than I ever thought I would about the voice haha.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-26-2019, 07:54 AM   #7974
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

He always gets to the right note and vowel, it's now "heeee ... ome", just start on the right note and vowel is all I'm asking for. For his age and how much he has pushed his voice he's still a great singer! Ha, being a vocalist and being married to a speech therapist is pretty ideal!
    Old 05-26-2019, 08:28 AM   #7975
    bigeyedpigs

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I noticed this back in 2010. The Hartford and Citifield shows, I just could not listen to the tapes afterwards. I still listen to alot of dmb just nothing after June 08.
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-26-2019, 12:01 PM   #7976
    Bmwm3oz

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2YedNxD0HQ

Just saw this for the first time from 2013 in Austin. For anyone that was there for this, was it as amazing in person as it is on video? My god.. beautiful version
    Bmwm3oz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-27-2019, 06:25 AM   #7977
    NewBernPirate13

Shows Seen: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Just saw this for the first time from 2013 in Austin. For anyone that was there for this, was it as amazing in person as it is on video? My god.. beautiful version
    It’s easily one of my favorite performances from the band. Incredible stuff from SJ
    Old 05-27-2019, 09:09 AM   #7978
    SeeMoreDMB

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FeelingGood View Post
    Your list is what I would do to try bringing them back to glory...plus add one more thing: Give a greater percentage of fans the opportunity to hear live the great rare classics: DT, JTR, Stone, Last Stop, Shotgun, etc.

I'm not optimistic though. Dave doesn't have the self-awareness and the musicians around him don't have the courage to bring him to this realization. Also, it counters human nature...is Rashawn going to suggest that he get less playing time? Doubt it. The other thing that counters such a change is the feedback he's getting from the current casual fan: "They go nuts when we play Cornbread...let's keep on doing that!"

Dave calling the JTR audible when the rain started in TX kind of disproves several points you tried to make.
    SeeMoreDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-27-2019, 10:11 AM   #7979
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeeMoreDMB View Post
    Dave calling the JTR audible when the rain started in TX kind of disproves several points you tried to make.
    Yeah, but they get a lot of rain dates and don't do shit. I mean in Bristow right after a dangerous monsoon they DIDN'T play VItR, JTR, Stay, or any other song that mentions rain...but VItR was a no brainer. He even had the chance for a make up at VA Beach when it rained most of the day.

Basically, he plays what he wants when he wants. JTR was as much a whim as a reaction to anything. He's consistently inconsistent with where and when he pulls a rarity outside of those special venues...
    Old 05-27-2019, 10:33 AM   #7980
    DEMITRI

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Was not there, but this might be my all time favorite performance of any song. Cry Freedom is by no means my favorite DMB tune but what Stanley Jordan does in this version is seriously out of this world. I really really hope we get official audio of this one day but for some reason I doubt it.
    DEMITRI is offline   Reply With Quote