I Do Not Like Away From the World, But I Wanted To - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > Away From The World

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 10-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #91
jwrice5

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: I Do Not Like Away From the World, But I Wanted To

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchingmonkey View Post
Makes sense. Except that a lot of his older songs were pretty simple: Too Much, Save Me, DDTW. And then Rooftop is a fabulously complicated riff similar to You Never Know. Go fig.
I agree. I think about the guitar riff driven songs like SMTS, LIOG, Satellite, Jimi Thing, DIDO, The Stone, Recently, Tripping Billies... just to name a few. That style and approach is dead and gone, I get that, but I miss it, too!
jwrice5 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #92
    ldcunited5

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flip36 View Post
    he joined 1/2002 and has posted 7 times.. hm.... fan, i think not!
    I only read the first page of this thread and I'm sure this has been addressed by now, but do you honestly think having more posts on this board makes you a bigger fan?

On topic: yes, this album could have benefited greatly with some lyrics that we have come to expect from Dave over the years. It doesn't mean the music behind those lyrics isn't awesome. I personally love the album but I do wish there were more depth to the lyrics.
    ldcunited5 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #93
    ldcunited5

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaymas9 View Post
    The thing I laugh at is...all the focus on Jack and Jill (which is such a small part of the song and fits regardless) as the example of poor lyric writing, when in cases like Drunken Soldier, I really think Dave dropped the ball in the chorus, going to a whole new level of cliche (which would have been fine if he wrote a remotely interesting melody that matched the epic scale of the music) but doesn't get nearly the flack. I thought songs like Gaucho, If Only, (some parts of Rooftop), and Drunken Soldier could have been elevated to a whole new level if Dave attacked those songs with his voice, and wrote choruses that stood with the quality of the music.

The point is, Dave melodically and lyrically is somewhere in the middle of the two extremes on this record, I think he was the weak link overall, and certainly was not as on as older work. However, it is not the steaming pile of turd so many are making it out to be. Especially with Broken Things, BBN, Mercy, Sweet, The Riff, Rooftop, and Snow Outside bringing it pretty awesome vocally. He missed the boat on a few and it stands out, but it's getting way exaggerated, especially considering the quality of the music backing him up on the record, which is easily the strongest since tLWS songs.
    I'm glad I came back to read the rest of the thread. This is pretty spot on for my feelings as well. Although you gotta admit, the Jack and Jill part is laughably bad.
    Drunken Soldier can still be a great song live but the chorus just left me so disappointed. When I saw the track listing, I was most excited about this particular track. I was thrilled listening to it all the way up to the chorus. Still an above-average track and definitely not one to underestimate as we head to the Winter Tour, but that chorus just annoys me every time I hear it.

Last edited by ldcunited5; 10-20-2012 at 06:16 PM.
    ldcunited5 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #94
    whyiam34
    Storrs Forever

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ldcunited5 View Post
    I'm glad I came back to read the rest of the thread. This is pretty spot on for my feelings as well. Although you gotta admit, the Jack and Jill part is laughably bad.
    Drunken Soldier can still be a great song live but the chorus just left me so disappointed. When I saw the track listing, I was most excited about this particular track. I was thrilled listening to it all the way up to the chorus. Still an above-average track and definitely not one to underestimate as we head to the Winter Tour, but that chorus just annoys me every time I hear it.
    this album is incredible
    whyiam34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #95
    Gandalf

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I don't think drugs alone made Dave a great lyricist, but here are two things that mark the change in his lyrics: Glen Ballard and getting married. It was Ballard who told Dave circa 2001 that he didn't need long, intricate poetic lines to write song lyrics, he could just repeat a few short phrases over and over. Dave has spoken of this in multiple interviews. Now Dave's penned some damn good lyrics since 2001, but it's been a lot more Dreamgirls and Angels than You Never Knows and Stay or Leaves. Lyrically speaking, I think Big Whiskey was a little more of a return to form, with very obvious exceptions of course.

Also, far better than drugs, longing, rejection, misery, and existential crises fuel great lyrics and great art. The plain truth is that Dave, as far as we can tell, was less happy in the 90s than he's appeared since 2001. He can still channel some good songs of longing and unrequited love now, but they sound more conjured than his earlier lyrics. LLD, Crush, and GIG all felt raw when debuted. They still feel raw.

Can't most fans just agree that Dave is best when he’s chasing someone who doesn’t love him or thinking about dying and singing a carpe diem rallying cry while rain is coming down on him and a monkey. Not one appearance of a monkey and only two allusions to going down on a woman on this album. It was a good run, Mrs. Matthews.

Last edited by Gandalf; 11-30-2012 at 02:04 PM.
    Gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote