Warehouse 8, Volume 6? - Page 11 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 03-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #301
NextMovement41
BBQ BEER FREEDOM

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Warehouse 8, Volume 6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosicmaniac View Post
Wow.... defeinately thought we'd see more Big Whiskey songs on this thing. Where's Baby Blue? Full band Squirm?

This is pretty bad. The only reason to ever release another recording of Eh Hee on a bonus/WH disc is if it is the one with The Roots. And they couldn't even get THAT right.

Stolen Away will be sweet. The rest is garbage. Another YMDT? Come on.
I forgot about that one. Jesus what a mess. That is the version of Eh Hee.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #302
    dmbbearcat

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I just wanted to pop in and say that this disc looks awful. Oh well, everyone enjoy the NCAA Tournament!

dmbbearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2010, 08:16 AM   #303
    Dagwin

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

They should have waited till April 1st to release this track listing!
    Dagwin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2010, 08:21 AM   #304
    Evans

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

New thread: Everyone needs to make their predictions about what the Warehouse 8 Volume 9 will look like. What are the absolute worst 8 songs or performances of songs that we can put on a disc?

And people shouldn't bitch about people bitching. If the Warehouse released a good disc, the majority would not be bitching. They put Stolen Away on here...that to me is proof that this is a big joke to management. I want to know who selects these tracks because they are definitely messing with us.
    I'd like to take a chance to thank you all very much for joining us this evening and I hope that you have a nice night followin' this one, don't forget to love each other, don't forget to do your best, don't forget to vote, don't forget to dafahdedofehdahdeedoedeeday!
    Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2010, 08:23 AM   #305
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by william.hosking View Post
    There's really no debate. It's not free.

Here's the logic to follow:

Pay $35 - get the WH disc (along with other amenities)
    Don't pay $35 - don't get the WH disc (along with other amenities)

The disc isn't free.
    I just said, "There's no such thing as a free lunch."
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #306
    gromitvt

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

To be fair upfront - sure when I looked at what was coming on this disc nothing really peaked my interest to the point where I thought "oh I can't wait for this to get here."

That being said - I still appreciate that this band operates a fan club - and that they do this sort of stuff. Not all bands do. The price of the membership is reasonable. What I've found whenever I get a release from WH is that it may not be a favorite of mine - but I figure someone within WH or the DMB business community has taken some time to pick these out - maybe there's something about this version that I may like. If not - I'm not distraught or outraged. I just move on.

The great thing about this band is that this isn't the only thing they release (granted it's the thing that comes with our annual membership). The fact that they release other shows and that they allow fans to tape their shows - means you can make your own WH 5 or 8 or 10 or 20 whatever you like. Of all the WH discs I have (and I have all of them since I've been with WH since 98) I tend to pull a few songs from each release and dump them on my ipod and enjoy them.

I understand the argument that some may express that these songs are not favorites of the majority of WH members and that this is a missed opportunity to give them something a little off the wall in terms of a release. But you gotta understand - it is what it is. Someone picked these particular versions of these songs out for a reason. At least give them a chance and listen to the stuff when it reaches your mailbox - maybe something will grow on you. Maybe not. If not - go get yourself a burrito and pull out an older WH release - I'm sure the tension will melt away.

If anything I may write to WH and suggest they stop making a physical disc all together and save themselves some money on shipping and instead allow members to vote and/or select from a pool of songs online.
    gromitvt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #307
    moosicmaniac

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmich176 View Post
    Makes no sense. No such thing as a free lunch is getting a free lunch and there being a catch. In this situation, you already payed for your lunch, but they bring out a place of feces.
    moosicmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2010, 08:27 AM   #308
    william.hosking

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmich176 View Post
    I know, and I agree, obviously. I was just saying that it's not even really a debate. It's fact.

Twitter
    Facebook
    william.hosking is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2010, 08:28 AM   #309
    jiggajm18
    Joe

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

what do you mean "appreciate that the they do this sort of stuff"? what exactly is there to appreciate about a management company that is basically ingnoring its die hard fans with this type of disc.

this band has a nearly 20-year touring history. it's inexcusable that they can't find 8 great songs, every year, to put on a disc.

Last edited by jiggajm18; 03-19-2010 at 08:30 AM.
    jiggajm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2010, 08:30 AM   #310
    jiggajm18
    Joe

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I know, and I agree, obviously. I was just saying that it's not even really a debate. It's fact.

i loved djgeneral's "well, in a sense we aren't paying for it".

that's like having health insurance that covers one physical a year. you go to the doctor for your physical and you consider it "free".
    Old 03-19-2010, 08:33 AM   #311
    william.hosking

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gromitvt View Post
    To be fair upfront - sure when I looked at what was coming on this disc nothing really peaked my interest to the point where I thought "oh I can't wait for this to get here."

That being said - I still appreciate that this band operates a fan club - and that they do this sort of stuff. Not all bands do. The price of the membership is reasonable. What I've found whenever I get a release from WH is that it may not be a favorite of mine - but I figure someone within WH or the DMB business community has taken some time to pick these out - maybe there's something about this version that I may like. If not - I'm not distraught or outraged. I just move on.

The great thing about this band is that this isn't the only thing they release (granted it's the thing that comes with our annual membership). The fact that they release other shows and that they allow fans to tape their shows - means you can make your own WH 5 or 8 or 10 or 20 whatever you like. Of all the WH discs I have (and I have all of them since I've been with WH since 98) I tend to pull a few songs from each release and dump them on my ipod and enjoy them.

I understand the argument that some may express that these songs are not favorites of the majority of WH members and that this is a missed opportunity to give them something a little off the wall in terms of a release. But you gotta understand - it is what it is. Someone picked these particular versions of these songs out for a reason. At least give them a chance and listen to the stuff when it reaches your mailbox - maybe something will grow on you. Maybe not. If not - go get yourself a burrito and pull out an older WH release - I'm sure the tension will melt away.

If anything I may write to WH and suggest they stop making a physical disc all together and save themselves some money on shipping and instead allow members to vote and/or select from a pool of songs online.
    Good post. However, as a paying member of said fan club, I have a right to critique and criticize the song selections. I also think you're giving management way too much credit for the effort that was put into song selections. It's glaringly obvious that there is little to no Warehouse member input that goes into what gets on a disc. I love the Warehouse, and I will continue to use it's services, but when it comes to things like this, I think the members of the fan club should have at least a little say in what they receive.

How hard would it be for management to narrow down 20-25 songs and have a vote for 6 months or so? Then take the top eight songs voted on by members, and create the disc from there. Give 1 of the top 3 voted on to the WH5 disc, and the other two to the WH8 disc. It's not THAT complicated, and members would have no reason to complain as much, since they hand picked the songs (granted, out of the 20 or so that management picked, but it's better than not having ANY say).

Twitter
    Facebook
    Old 03-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #312
    npm352

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Someone picked these particular versions of these songs out for a reason.

1. The reason was to read these boards and laugh at us.

2. Why would they have to do away with discs? Why couldn't they just a have a vote and a disc. This makes no sense to me.
    npm352 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2010, 08:36 AM   #313
    jiggajm18
    Joe

My Tour Central Stats

at first i was thinking, well, maybe they included seven and time bomb for the newer warehouse members, the people who got into the band because of BWGK.

yea, good theory except for the fact that those songs are going to the older warehouse members.

pathetic.
    Old 03-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #314
    npm352

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jiggajm18 View Post
    at first i was thinking, well, maybe they included seven and time bomb for the newer warehouse members, the people who got into the band because of BWGK.

yea, good theory except for the fact that those songs are going to the older warehouse members.

pathetic.
    Good point...as a senior member I get Stay, Seven and Time Bomb. That is funny.
    npm352 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2010, 08:43 AM   #315
    gromitvt

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    what do you mean "appreciate that the they do this sort of stuff"? what exactly is there to appreciate about a management company that is basically ingnoring its die hard fans with this type of disc.

this band has a nearly 20-year touring history. it's inexcusable that they can't find 8 great songs, every year, to put on a disc.
    Sort of stuff = https://whsec1.davematthewsband.com/...MemberBenefits

They could just operate this fan club as a means to distribute tickets and nothing else. So considering that the price of the membership has not changed since I joined over a decade ago - and that they continue to send out a membership package annually is something I appreciate.

Yes, there are some awesome changes that we as fans could suggest and maybe they would be ignored but maybe not.

If you are displeased with their selections - then obviously feel free to write them about it. But I bet it gets more traction if it's not a rant calling what they do (or do not do) inexcusable.
    Old 03-19-2010, 08:43 AM   #316
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

My Tour Central Stats

People need to email them and ask what the fuck they're thinking
    Old 03-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #317
    rschlad04

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Wow management fucking sucks! I'm so glad I've never been a member of the WH. I bet this disk would work nice as a coaster, unlike the ones they gave away last year.

"This is a love song, its more specifically about fucking" - DJM
    rschlad04 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2010, 08:48 AM   #318
    william.hosking

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    How hard would it be for management to narrow down 20-25 songs and have a vote for 6 months or so? Then take the top eight songs voted on by members, and create the disc from there. Give 1 of the top 3 voted on to the WH5 disc, and the other two to the WH8 disc. It's not THAT complicated, and members would have no reason to complain as much, since they hand picked the songs (granted, out of the 20 or so that management picked, but it's better than not having ANY say).
    If you're going to email management about the most recent WH disc, please take the time to suggest this as a resolution to the problem. I think van voting would be a fantastic way to go, at least for the WH discs.

Twitter
    Facebook
    Old 03-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #319
    gromitvt

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by npm352 View Post
    1. The reason was to read these boards and laugh at us.

2. Why would they have to do away with discs? Why couldn't they just a have a vote and a disc. This makes no sense to me.
    for #2. Saves them money, prevents a little polluting, and gets you the songs a little faster (if you want to listen to them). They obviously have embraced releasing full shows and compilations via digital means - so go ahead and take the WH releases down the same path.

for #1. Maybe they do laugh. Maybe they don't. I'm gonna guess it's a combination of laughing and crying and a small case of the sharts.
    Old 03-19-2010, 08:52 AM   #320
    gromitvt

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I think that would be awesome if the did that.
    Old 03-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #321
    william.hosking

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think that would be awesome if the did that.
    Would you be willing to email management and tell them that you think this is how the WH disc should be compiled?

Thanks.

Twitter
    Facebook
    Old 03-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #322
    Acester25
    DMB fan 1995-death

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rylan View Post
    What is special about that YMDT?

And also, isn't Break Free from the last Warehouse disc from the same show?
    Yes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phish36 View Post
    I'm pumped for that Say Goodbye at least...

Anyone else find it kinda fishy that it's from the same show as the free Typical?

Already mastered and awaiting release?
    Yes... I agree. No one should blame the majority of us for getting the idea that, at the very least, the Warehouse is fairly LAZY.

I mean, if you're going to release some of the more unpopular songs, why not put some effort into making the versions that DO get released, ones that will please the fans? Or make them versions that are unique or different from the studio recordings. They should use these discs as opportunities to make some fans that have disliked these songs, possibly learn to like them.

How tough would it be to do a little research? Ask the fans what would please them? Maybe give the fans that are on the fence about JOINING the Warehouse, a reason to join? They could, at the very least, give the songs they are going to release and then ask for which versions are the fans' favorites.

Again I "say"...
    "One of the things about playing music for all of us is that it's a source of joy. So even if we're singing about death or loss or the end of the world, at the very core of everything there's got to be hope."~David J. Matthews
    Acester25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #323
    dmbphan07

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    is anyone else thinking of writing to the WH?
    I just did. This disc is awful. I couldn't believe it when I read the track list.

Lets go O's
    dmbphan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #324
    DJGeneral
    The GENERAL

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotlightEyes View Post
    Correction. YOU are not paying for the disc, because your mental gymnastics work it out for you.

I AM paying for the disc, because I maintain my membership for no other reason.
    You pay $35 a year for a disc that is widely available all over the internet within 20 minutes of someone getting it?
    DJGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #325
    Sniper15

My Tour Central Stats

I think this WH disc is management's way of getting back at the fanbase for all of the complaints they got about the europe release
    Old 03-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #326
    hockygoalie41

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

why would they think we need another version of stay? surprised cornbread didn't make its was onto this one too haha
    hockygoalie41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #327
    Jordan#41

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I do remember Warehouse sending an email or something where you had to check off the boxes for which songs you wanted on a certain cd.. What was that for? The live Gorge best of album?
    Jordan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #328
    moosicmaniac

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jordan#41 View Post
    I do remember Warehouse sending an email or something where you had to check off the boxes for which songs you wanted on a certain cd.. What was that for? The live Gorge best of album?
    BOWA Vol. 1 Bonus Disc. One of the best bonus/WH discs to date. Coincidence?
    moosicmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #329
    Hilly

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJGeneral View Post
    You pay $35 a year for a disc that is widely available all over the internet within 20 minutes of someone getting it?
    Do your arguement is that nobody should ever pay for music that is available on the internet?

So no one should pay for any music ever?
    Old 03-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #330
    Sniper15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jordan#41 View Post
    Yeah they pretty much ignored us though.