Do you think if the Albums were released in Reverse Order, you'd be a DMB fan? - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-19-2023, 09:23 AM   #1
Grace Isgone

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Do you think if the Albums were released in Reverse Order, you'd be a DMB fan?

I was seriously thinking about this the other day... If Walk Around the Moon was the first album to come out and Come Tomorrow was the 2nd studio album to be released, would I be a fan?

If I only heard a killer drummer and some folksy riffs with limited horns, a ton of electric guitar, and no violin, would I have been drawn into the band like I was with UTTAD, Crash, and BTCS???

Do you think you would be a fan if the albums were reversed... I mean I'd like it, but I'm not sure it would have become my favorite band??
Grace Isgone is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-19-2023, 09:27 AM   #2
    SeanMH
    GoWokeGoBroke

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Do you think if the Albums were released in Reverse Order, you'd be a DMB fan?

I think a lot of fans are fans of the individual members such as Dave as a person and would buy his belly lint if he sold it. Plus on a serious note, Dave has a unique personality that attracts some, some people on the other hand, thinks he's mentally weird because he doesnt talk "normal" compared to his singing.

And eventually when BTCS/UTTAD/Crash would come out, it would draw people back in or new people if WATM was the first album.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Klize17 View Post
    Last nights was the best version of Satellite I have ever heard.
    SeanMH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-19-2023, 09:29 AM   #3
    C.S.
    I lurk you long time...

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Do you think if the Albums were released in Reverse Order, you'd be a DMB fan?

The band's early iconic hits are why they made it. They are irreplaceable, but it doesn't matter because nothing close to those has been produced since.
    C.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-19-2023, 09:50 AM   #4
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

I think I would've given them a chance after the first few records maybe didn't get my attention

I'm thinking about Taylor Swift or Tyler the Creator, folks I wasn't that into early on but who I've come to enjoy and appreciate more deeper into their careers as they made records I better connected with

It's interesting to think about a chronology where BTCS comes after Everyday. That would be like, "Where tf did this come from????"
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-19-2023, 09:58 AM   #5
    firedancerchick

Shows Seen: 101

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeanMH View Post
    I think a lot of fans are fans of the individual members such as Dave as a person and would buy his belly lint if he sold it.
    not wrong there, but that's hilarious.

Also a good point there with individuals and their personalities, talent. I was taken to a show in 1998, I was 14 and didn't know anything. I immediately fell in love with them live and have been full steam ahead since then. The people I went with back then don't particularly like them anymore, or are indifferent.

I like enough songs from every album that I would have probably appreciated them live no matter what I saw because of how talented they are and the amazing show they put on. After that first show I became very into looking at their backgrounds, how they started, etc. On top of that throw in that every show has different songs, I think I would have been just as big of a fan, all because of the live show.
    firedancerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-19-2023, 10:17 AM   #6
    Grace Isgone

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeanMH View Post
    I think a lot of fans are fans of the individual members such as Dave as a person and would buy his belly lint if he sold it. Plus on a serious note, Dave has a unique personality that attracts some, some people on the other hand, thinks he's mentally weird because he doesnt talk "normal" compared to his singing.

And eventually, when BTCS/UTTAD/Crash would come out, it would draw people back in or new people if WATM was the first album.
    No I mean if they didn't know any DMB at all, like as if these albums came out in 1994 in reverse order...

I think Present DMB might have gone the way of Matchbox 20 or the Gin Blossoms, etc.
    Old 06-19-2023, 10:18 AM   #7
    Grace Isgone

My Tour Central Stats

Whats really funny is if the band did catch on from the initial releases of WATM and CT, everyone would complain about how they suck now releasing hippie crap like Crash or UTTAD... what happened to them ???

what's up with these long studio songs???

I mean we want quick hits, not deep tracks like #bkdbkbkbkd!!!

Last edited by Grace Isgone; 06-19-2023 at 10:19 AM.
    Old 06-19-2023, 10:28 AM   #8
    bigeyedpigs

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

No the violin and what Roi was doing were what drew me in, along with Dave's earlier lyrics.
    Actually if tlws never leaked and those songs disappeared, I probably would have been done with stand up
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-19-2023, 10:45 AM   #9
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Yes would be a fan, you'd still have the same songs
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-19-2023, 10:50 AM   #10
    Alpine416

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

And if this were the case you'd have people crucifying the addition of a fiddle because it wasn't their "original" sound and complaining about it the same way they do Rashawn. Rashawn and the trumpet exiting the band in the later stage would be when the band was never the same as they used to be "this band was built on a horn section"
    Alpine416 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-19-2023, 12:24 PM   #11
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alpine416 View Post
    And if this were the case you'd have people crucifying the addition of a fiddle because it wasn't their "original" sound and complaining about it the same way they do Rashawn. Rashawn and the trumpet exiting the band in the later stage would be when the band was never the same as they used to be "this band was built on a horn section"
    WATM, CT and AFTW, "the big three"
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-19-2023, 12:36 PM   #12
    TwoStep51901
    TDC soright05

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

easy answer to this question is no thanks.
    come tomorrow would be a huge let down from WATM
    TwoStep51901 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-19-2023, 01:30 PM   #13
    sean52692

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

No chance. If WATM came out in 1994 I'm guessing it would been ignored. Not enough on there that would stick out. Like the OP said, maybe they pop a little bit like Gin Blossoms or Matchbox 20 then fade into oblivion.

The timeless music that started their career I think would have popped no matter when it came out. That being said, the early 90s and 00s were perfectly primed for DMB's explosion.
    sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-19-2023, 02:33 PM   #14
    GauchoSpaceman

My Tour Central Stats

My personal DMB listening chronologic sequence is already messed up because i didn't know the band until 2009, when BW came out (i live in Manaus, Brazil, a place in the middle of Amazon forest where people dont give much attention to stranger artists/ bands, unless it's a pop world wide hit). That's why i love so much this album. It's the reason i got to know the band and became a fan. I imediately Fell in love and searched for their other records.

I listened to DMBs discography in this exact order and i im here, so that should Tell you.

BW
    SU
    BS
    ED
    BTCS
    Crash
    UTTAD
    RTT
    AFTW
    CT
    WATM

Enviado de meu SM-S916B usando o Tapatalk
    GauchoSpaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-19-2023, 02:44 PM   #15
    GauchoSpaceman

My Tour Central Stats

By the way, if the last 3 were the first 3, i would like the band but not as much as i do, indeed. But im pretty shure BW would open my eyes for what this band may offer in studio. SU would let down my expectations for what a BW "continuity" could be. BS would restore my faith and the rest would just bring me Joy and happiness and define DMB as one of my favourites, as it is.

Listen to UTTAD for the first time as a release in 2023 woul be such an amazing experience. As it was for me back in 09, but after years of speculations, expectations, live debuts of Satellite, Ants, Typical, WWYS and other 3 or 4 songs and of course their annoucement in January 2023 with their first single and 4 months of cheap lazy marketing.

Enviado de meu SM-S916B usando o Tapatalk
    GauchoSpaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-20-2023, 04:47 AM   #16
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
    I think I would've given them a chance after the first few records maybe didn't get my attention

I'm thinking about Taylor Swift or Tyler the Creator, folks I wasn't that into early on but who I've come to enjoy and appreciate more deeper into their careers as they made records I better connected with

It's interesting to think about a chronology where BTCS comes after Everyday. That would be like, "Where tf did this come from????"
    I'm the same with Taylor Swift.

I also got into Death Cab for Cutie pretty late, with Narrow Stairs.

So I think there's a chance the Big 3 still catch my attention, but no chance I develop the obsession I did. I was 16 when BTCS came out, then spent my late teens early 20's trading tapes.
    In this alternate reality, UTTAD is 2023, Crash is 2018 and BTCS is 2012, which puts those in my 30's. Probably just something I add to Apple Music and maybe catch a show on the rare years they come to Austin.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 06-20-2023 at 04:51 AM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2023, 05:56 AM   #17
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

No, absolutely not.
    Old 06-21-2023, 06:20 AM   #18
    RunawayTwoStep

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I personally think there’s zero chance that this band would have the following it still does today if WATM, CT, and AFTW were the first 3 albums vice what we know as the Big 3.
    RunawayTwoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2023, 06:30 AM   #19
    Musicology200

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

LOL no, not at all.

Little Thing: 1:1 7/6/12
    Musicology200 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2023, 11:24 AM   #20
    DMBlyrics

My Tour Central Stats

I think I still would be as long as their early days live performances were still as amazing.

I mean for me, it's always been the live releases or the tapes that sold me on DMB in the first place. Albums have just been bonuses. So had they been as creative on stage with WATM and CT in 1993, I'd absolutely be a fan.

If they would have just played UTTAD and Crash the same way every night in the 90's, I don't think they'd have as many fans.

What sold me on this band release wise was Live at Red Rocks, Listener Supported and Live at Luther College. I had all 3 of those prior to buying one studio record. For me, hearing 3 drastically different performances was incredible.

I didn't like Ants, WWYS, Crash, DDTW at all on the radio.. I really thought they were some hokey weird band. It wasn't until I was gifted live at Red Rocks randomly, that they even caught my attention. I was listening to heavy grunge, pop punk, ska, and alt rock in the 90's. Nirvana, Soundgarden, Oasis, Matchbox 20, Green Day, Blink 182, and then classic rock like zep and hendrix.. DMB didn't really fit in that realm for me.

Last edited by DMBlyrics; 06-21-2023 at 11:28 AM.
    DMBlyrics is offline   Reply With Quote