Rate the Album - Page 10 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > Come Tomorrow

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: Rate Come Tomorrow
1 9 1.68%
2 13 2.43%
3 18 3.36%
4 38 7.10%
5 45 8.41%
6 82 15.33%
7 162 30.28%
8 125 23.36%
9 34 6.36%
10 9 1.68%
Voters: 535. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2018, 08:15 AM   #271
RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Rate the Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biebz View Post
5 (even though I hit 6 by mistake)

The best song is a decade old, and there are four or five songs on here (Can’t Stop, She, TGIY, Samauri Corp) I’d never want to see at a show I attend.
Bob Law is a decade old???

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-10-2018, 08:29 AM   #272
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThatLetter View Post
    I’ve listened to it start to finish three times. No desire to do it anymore. It’s not good, guys. You’re all just excited about the new car smell. End of the day it’s still a Kia.
    Haha yea thanks I’ll make my own mind up. For me it’s awesome and exactly what I’ve wanted from this new age DMB. And quite a few songs are years old now so that new car smell doesn’t hold true with this album. If anything I enjoy Cop, VITR, IOY, Again and Again, Can’t Stop and B&BB more now.
    Bluewater21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2018, 08:33 AM   #273
    RiotAct

My Tour Central Stats

I do think this album will age better than AFTW did.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:06 AM   #274
    emu513

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Only listened to it once. Didn’t enjoy much of it. I don’t know if it’s “good” or not. Certainly a bit different than much of the band’s earlier catalog that I still enjoy. But that’s fine. This is just not my cup of tea. Glad some people like it though.
    Old 06-10-2018, 09:36 AM   #275
    billycuth

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bluewater21 View Post
    Haha yea thanks I’ll make my own mind up. For me it’s awesome and exactly what I’ve wanted from this new age DMB. And quite a few songs are years old now so that new car smell doesn’t hold true with this album. If anything I enjoy Cop, VITR, IOY, Again and Again, Can’t Stop and B&BB more now.
    Amen. Each person has their own ears. With those ears they get to have their own opinion.

"It's not good, guys"...

You forgot the words "to me."
    billycuth is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #276
    Dankguitar

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bluewater21 View Post
    This is a very good point. People need to stop making that argument because we have known these songs for a while so that “it’s new” argument doesn’t work
    Dankguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #277
    bubba40

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TurboPGT View Post
    I'd rather rate it like this:

(possible 5 stars)

4 - Samurai Cop
    2 - Can't Stop
    4 - Here On Out
    3 - That Girl Is You
    4 - She
    4 - Idea Of You
    4 - Virginia In The Rain
    4 - Again and Again
    2 - bkdkdkdd
    3 - Black And Blue Bird
    2 - Come On Come On
    5 - Do You Remember
    3 - Come Tomorrow
    4 - When I'm Weary.

Mine:

1 - Samurai Cop
    2.5 - Can't Stop
    2 - Here On Out
    1 - That Girl Is You
    3 - She
    2 - Idea Of You
    2.5 - Virginia In The Rain
    1.5 - Again and Again
    1 - bkdkdkdd
    3 - Black And Blue Bird
    1.5 - Come On Come On
    2 - Do You Remember
    1 - Come Tomorrow
    0.5 - When I'm Weary.
    bubba40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #278
    aggiekjw

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

Listened several times and it's getting better for me. I find it easy to listen to the whole album which I couldn't do with BW or AFTW. On BW I always skipped FTWII and Seven, SMLAM. On Away From the World I felt like the songs were almost too full and didn't leave an opportunity for the band to improvise in live setting. AFTW always skip BBN and mercy. Most importantly, I think that Dave Matthews tells many nice stories in this album and it's surprisingly cohesive in that regard. 10-15 listens in, here are my rankings.

UTTAD
    BTCS
    Crash
    BS
    CT
    AFTW
    BW
    Everyday
    SU
    aggiekjw is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2018, 11:35 AM   #279
    ThatLetter

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
    I do think this album will age better than AFTW did.

You’re drunk

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    Jesus Christ justink just shut the fuck up for once. Why does everything with you turn into an argument?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blaise34 View Post
    CNN headline - Court gives baker narrow win in gay wedding cake case
    7-2 is narrow now
    ThatLetter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #280
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

My Tour Central Stats

After several listens, I'm still not sure.

There are songs that I definitely like a lot, but it most feels like a Dave Matthews record occasionally featuring members of the DMB live band. There are songs I could do without, but overall nothing I would feel cheated if I saw at a concert with.

I can tell it's Carter on the drums, but there are only flashes in the grand scheme of things of his brilliance. Fonzi doesn't have much of a spotlight, either. There are places where I feel like I hear Boyd's violin buried way deep in the mix, and one of the harmonies on "Come On Come On" I could swear was his vocal ... but it's so buried that I can't really tell. If his violin really was scrubbed from the album as many are saying, it hasn't left a sonic void in the mix or was replaced with something else. I have the same issue with Tim's guitar as I've had the past few records - he's gone from playing in an ensemble texture capacity ( I guess "Tripping Billies" might be the most glaring example of what I mean) to playing straight up lead guitar. It's not bad, but it doesn't leave a lot of room anymore for what we consider that DMB sound. The few places I can really feel Jeff and Rashawn shine are all too brief.

I probably like Again And Again the best at the moment. Closely followed by B&BB and VITR. Then She, SC, CS, and TGIY. The live intro to IOY bothers me when it shifts, there's stark pressure shift when the live portion leaves the mix. I would have hoped more from the guest spot on Come Tomorrow, it just doesn't seem to add a lot. HOO, DYR, COCO, and WIW I don't mind, but probably won't consistantly come back to after that new car smell has worn off. Bkdkdkdd just feels out of place, almost feels like the band was covering Stargard's "Which Way Is Up."

To give some perspective on my cred, I started listening in late '95 when someone gave me a copy of R2T. I followed the '99, '00, and '04 tours around for about half the stops (just haven't bothered to fill that in on my profile. After BWGK, I sort of fell back. It was hard to wrap my head around a lack of Roi. I've paid attention since, but not actively. I'm not super familiar with the live versions of most of these tunes so I didn't have any expectations going in. I knew them, but not the specific arrangements people enjoyed..

I feel like it's a great Dave Matthews record, but as a DMB album I just don't know.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2018, 02:25 PM   #281
    sigmamike

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

A solid 1/10. Trash.
    sigmamike is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #282
    rhizingbines

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Love this album. Best since Busted Stuff. Have listened to it over and over since the release.
    rhizingbines is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2018, 03:36 PM   #283
    Aforauer

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I wasn't in love when listening to the leaked version, but after listening to the official one after release I really like this album. Idk how much different it is mix wise between the two if any, but it seemed different. More crisp. Only one I don't care for much is Cant Stop. I really enjoy the studio Come Tomorrow. Wasn't a huge fan at first but its grown on me. Come On Come On is awesome. Im satisfied.

Last edited by Aforauer; 06-10-2018 at 03:38 PM.
    Aforauer is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2018, 04:28 PM   #284
    jgrant77

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

It's a 2 for me. Dave needs to hire a lyricist or hang it up.
    jgrant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2018, 05:48 PM   #285
    RiotAct

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThatLetter View Post
    You’re drunk

YOU’RE drunk!

Old 06-11-2018, 03:05 PM   #286
    Heavy As Stone
    My wife is hot.

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

This is my first post in a long damn time, but heck, why not.

This album is... meh. It’s ok. I’m really happy for Dave that he’s satisfied with it. I used to hang on every note and every word of every album. Nowadays... I don’t really care as much. I gave the album a few listens - most I’ve listened to DMB since AFTW, and even then I wasn’t listening a lot. This one is ok.

We should all just accept that they’ll never capture the brilliance of the earlier years. The LWS situation changed this band forever, and a few hard knocks later, this is what we’ll get. It’s ok, not a terrible album, good for a few listens. And we will always have the old music to listen who, which has aged remarkably well.

So yeah. I’m happy for Dave and the boys and where they’re at in life and their careers. I’m happy they’re still touring and making music. But I’d im being honest about the album? 5? 6 tops.

Sincerely,
    Gnarly old school 90s/early 00’s fan

[/sarcasm]

Heavy As Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #287
    Biebz

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Heavy As Stone View Post

This album is... meh. It’s ok. I’m really happy for Dave that he’s satisfied with it. I used to hang on every note and every word of every album. Nowadays... I don’t really care as much. I gave the album a few listens - most I’ve listened to DMB since AFTW, and even then I wasn’t listening a lot. This one is ok.

We should all just accept that they’ll never capture the brilliance of the earlier years. The LWS situation changed this band forever, and a few hard knocks later, this is what we’ll get. It’s ok, not a terrible album, good for a few listens. And we will always have the old music to listen who, which has aged remarkably well.

So yeah. I’m happy for Dave and the boys and where they’re at in life and their careers. I’m happy they’re still touring and making music. But I’d im being honest about the album? 5? 6 tops.

Sincerely,

This is the best and most accurate review I’ve read yet
    Biebz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #288
    davephan08

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

3/10

We're to hell and back from the Big Three...

I keep thinking that there will be something released that is remotely close to those but perhaps the band has changed too much with age and lineups.

At least we can revel in the memories from the past songs and concerts, too bad this album is a turd.
    davephan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2018, 09:18 PM   #289
    luke_hagen

Shows Seen: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I haven't posted in years -- but this album is so much better than BWGGK and AFTW at first listen. And even better on listen number 10.

To the people holding on to the 90s DMB: Taco Bell tacos aren't 50 cents anymore. The McRib is gone. This is a new band -- appreciate what they bring to the table now.

There are songs I'm addicted to again -- come on come on and again and again are wonderful pieces of music.

If you don't like this DMB, get a f'n time machine. Re-live the glory days and zip-it.
    luke_hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2018, 04:06 AM   #290
    Perch1019

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Rate the Album

Quote:

Sincerely,

This. Sums it up perfectly.

I don’t hate it but I don’t love it. I just put my buds in and went to my recent added and opened the album. I put on Black and Blue Bird and then Come on come on and switched to something else. I think for me it’s just not a DMB album. It’s a jumbled mess of an ensemble with full band sprinkled in. The fact that It was produced all over by so many people at different times show how lazy/disinterested they’ve become. It’s fine, they’re all in their 40s-50s with kids and shit and I’m sure that’s the priority vs 20 years ago but if that’s the case, don’t make it like your heart and soul is into this bc it’s not.

I’ll still enjoy the tour and going to Spac with friends and pretending we’re 18 again with no real life responsibilities but a lot of these are just going to be new piss break songs.

Edit: (forgot rating) 4.5 of 10

Last edited by Perch1019; 06-12-2018 at 04:07 AM.
    Perch1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2018, 04:41 AM   #291
    Heavy As Stone
    My wife is hot.

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by luke_hagen View Post
    I haven't posted in years -- but this album is so much better than BWGGK and AFTW at first listen. And even better on listen number 10.

To the people holding on to the 90s DMB: Taco Bell tacos aren't 50 cents anymore. The McRib is gone. This is a new band -- appreciate what they bring to the table now.

There are songs I'm addicted to again -- come on come on and again and again are wonderful pieces of music.

If you don't like this DMB, get a f'n time machine. Re-live the glory days and zip-it.
    I’ve never understood this sort of attitude. The whole “like it or shut up” thing. It’s ok that they’re not making groundbreaking music anymore. It’s rare for most bands to still be together, let alone one of the top acts in the country, AND still making music. So good for them! But why this aching need for people to pretend it’s as good as BTCS? Does a subset of the fan base feel better about life if everyone pretends that nothing has changed over the last 20 years?

[/sarcasm]

Heavy As Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2018, 04:57 AM   #292
    Matt83
    #11 (The Quirk)

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

4, not that it's terrible, just very underwhelming and forgettable.
    Matt83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2018, 05:19 AM   #293
    bustedstuff88

Shows Seen: 49

My Tour Central Stats

Im purposely waiting until I get my free disc shipped to me before listening...after reading some of these reviews, giving the first listen through crappy computer speakers or even worse...cell phone audio...wont be doing this thing any favors.

Still gotta wait til thursday before it arrives

2022: Alpine x2, Gorge x3, Minneapolis
    bustedstuff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2018, 06:01 AM   #294
    jobu05

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

As a DMB cd I give it a 5, as a Dave Solo CD I give it an 8.

There is just not enough DMB on this album for me, even though AFTW was not my favorite it, at least had a DMB feel to it.
    jobu05 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2018, 06:26 AM   #295
    robertccribb
    H.Hollow

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

4 out of 5 Stars
    Bands Change. We are never going to get the same album we got when they first started. Da Vinci didn't only paint the Mona Lisa. DMB is still making music. The songs are shorter some of that might be the fact that Dave isn't a fan of writing lyrics or it is just the product of the times what casual fan wants to listen to a 6 min or longer song? It does have a Dave solo feel. Maybe that isn't a bad thing maybe it is. Maybe if we had this Dave we would have never had to the drama of the LWS. Happy we got a new album hope they make more.

Ranking DMB Albums

1. Crash
    2. Before these Crowded Streets
    3. Under the Table and Dreaming
    4. Busted Stuff
    5. Come Tomorrow
    6. Away from the World
    7. Big Whiskey
    8. Everyday
    9. Stand Up
    robertccribb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2018, 07:32 AM   #296
    sgvette67

Shows Seen: 7

My Tour Central Stats

For me, I accepted a while ago that we'll never get the DMB of the 90s back. I'll always cling desperately to the music of those days, but I'm also willing to let myself enjoy the DMB of today. The band has clearly changed since then - lyrically, literally (-Roi -Boyd), and stylistically. Sadly, as someone above pointed out, this band has never been the same after the Lillywhite saga and I honestly don't think they've ever been able to regain their identify.

CT still doesn't show me any sort of cohesive identify of this band. But for me, there are some real bright spots that I haven't seen in a long time. And I personally think the worst songs are much better than the worst songs of ED, SU, BW, and AFTW. For me, this album is really easy to listen to. There isn't a single song that is an immediate skip (even CT with those "we'll be good to go" lyrics...yeesh). And there are several songs I single out to listen to as favorites, which wasn't the case for me on the last two albums.

I'll put it this way. Mowing my lawn is mindless fun to me, and I like to just zone out while listening to music. If I enjoy an album, it just blends into the background and I'll get to the end of it without really thinking about what was playing. But if an album is bad, it sticks out, and I'll get annoyed with having to keep stopping the mower to reach into my pocket to skip tracks. I've mowed twice without having to skip anything for CT.

No, it doesn't rank ANYWHERE NEAR the big 3. If you put it up against BTCS for flow and overall production, this record is a mess. But come on guys, BTCS was a masterpiece that will never be touched. Let's not compare it to that. I put it right in the middle of the 9.

BTCS - 10
    Crash - 9
    UTTAD - 9
    BS - 8
    CT - 6.5/7
    BW - 6
    AFTW - 5
    ED - 4.5
    SU - 4
    sgvette67 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2018, 09:02 AM   #297
    jkrue22
    What it means

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sgvette67 View Post
    For me, I accepted a while ago that we'll never get the DMB of the 90s back. I'll always cling desperately to the music of those days, but I'm also willing to let myself enjoy the DMB of today. The band has clearly changed since then - lyrically, literally (-Roi -Boyd), and stylistically. Sadly, as someone above pointed out, this band has never been the same after the Lillywhite saga and I honestly don't think they've ever been able to regain their identify.

CT still doesn't show me any sort of cohesive identify of this band. But for me, there are some real bright spots that I haven't seen in a long time. And I personally think the worst songs are much better than the worst songs of ED, SU, BW, and AFTW. For me, this album is really easy to listen to. There isn't a single song that is an immediate skip (even CT with those "we'll be good to go" lyrics...yeesh). And there are several songs I single out to listen to as favorites, which wasn't the case for me on the last two albums.

I'll put it this way. Mowing my lawn is mindless fun to me, and I like to just zone out while listening to music. If I enjoy an album, it just blends into the background and I'll get to the end of it without really thinking about what was playing. But if an album is bad, it sticks out, and I'll get annoyed with having to keep stopping the mower to reach into my pocket to skip tracks. I've mowed twice without having to skip anything for CT.

No, it doesn't rank ANYWHERE NEAR the big 3. If you put it up against BTCS for flow and overall production, this record is a mess. But come on guys, BTCS was a masterpiece that will never be touched. Let's not compare it to that. I put it right in the middle of the 9.

BTCS - 10
    Crash - 9
    UTTAD - 9
    BS - 8
    CT - 6.5/7
    BW - 6
    AFTW - 5
    ED - 4.5
    SU - 4

Great post. You should post more often than 6 times in 12 years.
    2012 Ants Fantasy Baseball H2H Keeper League and League #4 Champion
    jkrue22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2018, 09:07 AM   #298
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bustedstuff88 View Post
    Im purposely waiting until I get my free disc shipped to me before listening...after reading some of these reviews, giving the first listen through crappy computer speakers or even worse...cell phone audio...wont be doing this thing any favors.

Still gotta wait til thursday before it arrives
    A CD isnt any better than listening on a streaming service with headphones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2018, 01:08 PM   #299
    sgvette67

Shows Seen: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkrue22 View Post
    Great post. You should post more often than 6 times in 12 years.
    Ha! Thanks. Quality, not quantity, right? I've stalked this site for years, but haven't chimed in for whatever reason.
    sgvette67 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2018, 01:21 PM   #300
    crawfish

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Sincerely,
    Exactly how I feel. I like DMB, I just don't love them anymore.
    crawfish is offline   Reply With Quote