The Next Studio album. - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-25-2020, 05:53 PM   #31
spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Next Studio album.

regardless of if its all new material, all old material, a mix of both, i just want it to have a singular feel. Come Tomorrow is half a DMB album and half a Dave solo album that was smashed together. im not looking for songs like when im weary and do you remember on a DMB album, just like im not looking for songs like again and again and cant stop on a solo album. its not that some of the songs are bad, but they just don't fit together. if its going to be a DMB album, i want DMB songs. old, new, new to us, doesn't matter. i just want them all to sound like its DMB.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-25-2020, 06:45 PM   #32
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I hope there’s more solos on the next album. Each of the four “soloists” need at least one.

Bismarck would be a great way for Jeff to shine. Opening an album with that song and letting it run for 5 minutes with a nice Jeff solo would be the perfect way to start.

Sugar Will in its most current form could feature a brief tasteful muted trumpet solo by Rashawn followed by a monster solo by Tim.

Break Free could go in a couple ways. I would love this song to be included and contain the ABC jam with a Rashawn solo. But I could also see them going with the newer format which features a Buddy solo. Either way, I’m sure the song would sound good in studio.
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-27-2020, 08:45 PM   #33
    WhereYouGoin

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LetYouDown22 View Post
    Would love to see a Dave solo acoustic album, followed-up by a solo acoustic tour.

But I’ll take a new band album of old/new tunes.
    The types of studio albums that should come out at this point.
    *Another solo album with players from Some Devil
    *A solo album with a folk/country feel to it.
    *A DMB album that's wholly new.
    *Another DMB that is like Busted Stuff - largely re-recording material (January-March 2002 the band rerecorded material they had done at that same time two years earlier) + a couple new songs.
    WhereYouGoin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-28-2020, 11:21 AM   #34
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I'd like them to do things they absolutely won't do. Work with a different producer or producers, focus on new material (except Bismarck...release that damn song), don't follow a wildly archaic and traditional release schedule.
    Old 07-28-2020, 12:04 PM   #35
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaymas9 View Post
    I'd like them to do things they absolutely won't do. Work with a different producer or producers, focus on new material (except Bismarck...release that damn song), don't follow a wildly archaic and traditional release schedule.
    This. Record some stuff using someone they either trust like Cavallo or have never worked with before that will inject some new blood into the affair. Give us like a weeks notice tops, and then drop that shit online, with physical releases and merch a few weeks or so down the road.

Shit, I'd love if for their next studio album, they just chose a theatre, picked a handful of fans who were told the STFU, and then recorded new material live in front of an audience.
    Old 07-28-2020, 12:19 PM   #36
    kmb40oz

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Double Album, these 12 songs and then 12 new ones.

Album title, "Too Many Ghost"

Bismarck
    Crazy Easy
    Break For It
    Sugar Will
    Black Jack
    Break Free
    Sweet Up and Down
    Shotgun
    Good Good Time
    Shadows on the Wall
    Early Home
    Drive Me Away
    Old 07-28-2020, 06:22 PM   #37
    verarino

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmb40oz View Post
    Double Album, these 12 songs and then 12 new ones.

Album title, "Too Many Ghost"

Bismarck
    Crazy Easy
    Break For It
    Sugar Will
    Black Jack
    Break Free
    Sweet Up and Down
    Shotgun
    Good Good Time
    Shadows on the Wall
    Early Home
    Drive Me Away
    That would be fantastic. I would kill for a studio Crazy Easy. I always felt it had so much potential.
    2023: Wilmington NC x2/ Camden x2
    verarino is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-28-2020, 06:27 PM   #38
    DMBvol41

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

I think it’s safe to say when this next album comes out if Bismarck isn’t on it a lot of people will be disappointed. It’s their best song in years I think that’s obvious. Sugar will is the only other song I care about that’s not new. Other than that make it all new songs.

Ok Crazy Easy too but Roi was why that song was good

Last edited by DMBvol41; 07-28-2020 at 06:28 PM.
    DMBvol41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-28-2020, 06:31 PM   #39
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBvol41 View Post
    I think it’s safe to say when this next album comes out if Bismarck isn’t on it a lot of people will be disappointed. It’s their best song in years I think that’s obvious. Sugar will is the only other song I care about that’s not new. Other than that make it all new songs.

Roi and that violin part.

And then the 2013 lyrics. I really want those to stick around.
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-28-2020, 06:56 PM   #40
    pensfan71

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Isn’t it time for a greatest hits?
    pensfan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-28-2020, 08:17 PM   #41
    Tomacco

Shows Seen: 134

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pensfan71 View Post
    One exists
    Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-28-2020, 08:19 PM   #42
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 View Post
    Roi and that violin part.

And then the 2013 lyrics. I really want those to stick around.

Are the 2013 lyrics really thaaat good? Many ‘04 versions have better improv lyrics than the “set” 2013 lyrics, IMO. Also, Dave seemed way more passionate/into it with his vocals on this song in ‘04 compared to ‘13.

IF they ever decide to release a studio version, I hope it’s a version that was recorded back during their studio sessions in 2004. I have little interest in a Roi-less, violin-less version.
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-28-2020, 08:21 PM   #43
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBvol41 View Post

There are plenty of recent songs I like more than Bismarck and I don't think it's the best, that being said hopefully it does make an album, a lot of people enjoy it
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2020, 07:49 PM   #44
    WhereYouGoin

Shows Seen: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pensfan71 View Post
    The Best of What's Around is from 2006. The next Greatest Hits we see will be The Essential Dave Matthews Band.
    WhereYouGoin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2020, 06:26 AM   #45
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

C-E and SUAD w/o Roi and Boyd just seem weird. The '13 revision to C-E was okay, but had nothing on its debut run.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2020, 11:03 AM   #46
    bmt322

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

FWIW, Jeff said yesterday in his FB stream that he is not aware of any new music this year for DMB.
    Old 08-01-2020, 11:30 AM   #47
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmt322 View Post
    FWIW, Jeff said yesterday in his FB stream that he is not aware of any new music this year for DMB.
    Well that is a bummer. I know we have half the year left but I'd really love for them to get back in the studio and strike while the iron is hot.
    Old 08-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #48
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Maybe I’m the only one that wants to see one more album with some true DMB-heart to it, and then call it quits. I was talking to a friend the other day and he said something that struck me. When he listens to the Sirius 2018/19 shows the band sounds tired. I think that’s a great word to describe it. Dave’s voice sounds tired, and Carter to me just doesn’t sound that great these days. Like he’s gassed. Not sure how to explain it. Granted I still see the man slay the cymbals and kit, but there’s some sort of worn out feel to how he plays. The musicianship sounds tired to me as a collective unit. They’ve changed things up so much in the last few years it’s like they don’t know what they want to be anymore.

I’m ready for solo Dave Matthews. I think his music is saying the same. Carter is in his 60s and has young adult kids. Stefan will probably form some sort of 90s super group with people from bands like Fuel and Lit, Tim is already probably the first name on the list to join Elon Musk on the first journey to Mars, Jeff and Rashawn will continue to be around in some way or another, be it teaching clinics, studio and touring projects, and finally Buddy will go back to his praise and worship church playing and thank god for the chance to have squeaked his way into DMB for a couple years. It’s time.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2020, 01:08 PM   #49
    paulg83
    Probably just rage

Shows Seen: 66

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    Maybe I’m the only one that wants to see one more album with some true DMB-heart to it, and then call it quits. I was talking to a friend the other day and he said something that struck me. When he listens to the Sirius 2018/19 shows the band sounds tired. I think that’s a great word to describe it. Dave’s voice sounds tired, and Carter to me just doesn’t sound that great these days. Like he’s gassed. Not sure how to explain it. Granted I still see the man slay the cymbals and kit, but there’s some sort of worn out feel to how he plays. The musicianship sounds tired to me as a collective unit. They’ve changed things up so much in the last few years it’s like they don’t know what they want to be anymore.

I’m ready for solo Dave Matthews. I think his music is saying the same. Carter is in his 60s and has young adult kids. Stefan will probably form some sort of 90s super group with people from bands like Fuel and Lit, Tim is already probably the first name on the list to join Elon Musk on the first journey to Mars, Jeff and Rashawn will continue to be around in some way or another, be it teaching clinics, studio and touring projects, and finally Buddy will go back to his praise and worship church playing and thank god for the chance to have squeaked his way into DMB for a couple years. It’s time.
    Could not disagree more. Tired? Are you kidding me? They sound rejuvenated and excited about the music. Buddy coming on has been a huge part of that and Dave has professed as much in interviews. Like they don't know what they want to be? Seems to me the total opposite, they know exactly what they want to be now, and some people don't like it, (and that's okay) but I'm a huge fan. These boys are nowhere near close to being done. Maybe you and your friend are tired of the music, and that's fine, but these guys do not sound like a band on the brink of throwing in the towel any time soon, I'm sorry.
    Old 08-01-2020, 03:34 PM   #50
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Holy crap people are freakin’ hysterical. Looking forward to hearing more music and especially NEW music from DMB, whatever the line-up. Musicians grow/evolve usually at an exponentially higher and quicker rate than the ears of the average fan. I trust their path, but Do NOT expect to like everything. I will, however, give it all a listen and see the band when we can.

To the notion of evolution of a musician, part of that is often involves a down turn technique combined with a more “evolve” musicality and economy of notes/beats. Flashy drummers and guitarists slow down a bit. Horn players learn to say more w/ less. Singer lose range, but grow in expressive ability. Dave’s lost some high-end range and Carter might be slowing little, but this band still sounds amazing on it’s best nights and pretty damned good on its worst.

We hope they keep it coming until they literally can’t.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2020, 05:00 PM   #51
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Sorry to strike a nerve, but after following the band for 25 years they sound tired to me. I love Dave Matthews and I love the music he writes. He seems to be coming into a new phase in his life and as a musician myself, would be interested in seeing him pursue new things with new musicians. You can all hang your hat on Buddy Strong as the savior of DMB, but tired doesn’t only mean physical. I’m talking the act as a whole, and yes the sound. When Dave Matthews himself admits to thinking an album like Stand Up is their worst yet continues to mingle through that dirty closet it getS old and tired. But Bayou sounds amazing with Buddy now man! Dave is having so much fun. Ok. Well it doesn’t sound THAT good. I can barely ever make out anything Buddy is doing on the keys because he lays on the organ and it just sounds like noise.

There are some good shows and good moments, but no consistency. Think there was a Seek Up or something from one of the last 2019 or 2018 shows they streamed That was particular reminiscent of some old DMB jamming with Butch. Just how I feel. Not sure what’s so wrong with that.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2020, 06:29 PM   #52
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

There’s nothing wrong with it. But you are advocating for DMB to end on a DMB fan site. Expect some backlash. That said, Carter being in his sixties means the end is closer than most want to admit.
    Old 08-01-2020, 06:42 PM   #53
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    There’s nothing wrong with it. But you are advocating for DMB to end on a DMB fan site. Expect some backlash. That said, Carter being in his sixties means the end is closer than most want to admit.
    It’s really not about DMB for me, it’s music and musicians and their longevity.

Jazz and blues musicians had a long tradition of playing until they were literally unable. The rock stars of the 60s and 70s are now doing the same. Robert Plant can’t sing like he used to, but his voice has aged beautifully. The Stones still bring it. Macca sounds old, but he’s still playing quite well. Ringo is the most ageless of all the Beatles. Steve Winwood still sings and plays excellently. Santana, Clapton, the guys in Yes (either of the latest versions). The Who are crazy..it’s crazy that Roger can still so much of that stuff so well. Dead & Co, the Allmans before the end, Little Feat, and many more are/were not the same as they used to be, but they still keep/kept playing because that’s what they do.

They play not because they want to, but because they HAVE to. This is their life’s purpose, their home. Yes, some will unwilling stop if they do not feel they can maintain the standard they set for themselves, but more often than not they adapt to any limitations that age might inflict.

No one wants to die, but these guys would all likely admit that they’d like to go out like Col. Bruce...
    Old 08-01-2020, 06:45 PM   #54
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

The big element that Dave and DMB still have over the aforementioned is their ability to still create new music that interests fans. Most acts that have been around as long as they are a decade into endless greatest hits tours, playing far smaller venues, making far less money...

These guys still have as many years ahead of them as they want. Like ALL of the bands/artists I love and like, I welcome their efforts and hope to enjoy them.
    Old 08-01-2020, 07:01 PM   #55
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Dave does a full gym workout then three vocal sessions with Raab then a full show every day of every tour, definitely acting like he's ready to hang it up and isn't excited about moving forward as DMB
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2020, 07:26 AM   #56
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

I would love for DMB to hit their 50th anniversary mark. But Carter would be 82 years old... I think 40th is possible though.
    Old 08-02-2020, 10:45 AM   #57
    paulg83
    Probably just rage

Shows Seen: 66

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    Sorry to strike a nerve, but after following the band for 25 years they sound tired to me. I love Dave Matthews and I love the music he writes. He seems to be coming into a new phase in his life and as a musician myself, would be interested in seeing him pursue new things with new musicians. You can all hang your hat on Buddy Strong as the savior of DMB, but tired doesn’t only mean physical. I’m talking the act as a whole, and yes the sound. When Dave Matthews himself admits to thinking an album like Stand Up is their worst yet continues to mingle through that dirty closet it getS old and tired. But Bayou sounds amazing with Buddy now man! Dave is having so much fun. Ok. Well it doesn’t sound THAT good. I can barely ever make out anything Buddy is doing on the keys because he lays on the organ and it just sounds like noise.

There are some good shows and good moments, but no consistency. Think there was a Seek Up or something from one of the last 2019 or 2018 shows they streamed That was particular reminiscent of some old DMB jamming with Butch. Just how I feel. Not sure what’s so wrong with that.
    I literally said twice in my response post, it's okay if you don't like this new direction, and it's fine if you and your friend are tired of the music.

We are different people and we are subjectively experiencing this latest iteration of the band differently. I love it. You, not so much. It's all good, brother. We always have the old stuff to mutually love.
    Old 08-02-2020, 11:53 AM   #58
    Aircanuck

Shows Seen: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Dave does a full gym workout then three vocal sessions with Raab then a full show every day of every tour, definitely acting like he's ready to hang it up and isn't excited about moving forward as DMB
    This would be my go to evidence for not being "tired". They've been putting in more effort to being at their best than ever before. As we all age, that is naturally the case, we have to work harder to stay in shape and keep our minds sharp regardless of the pursuit.

Any interview from Dave in the last two years has spoken to their feeling of rejuvenation and the band being very much on the same page. Your personal tastes may not care for it, but every indication states they are loving life, enjoying their collective art and have plenty of creative energy to keep moving forward.
    Aircanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2020, 02:37 PM   #59
    kenticus

Shows Seen: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Just don’t include sugar will in its current form - to me, they’ve just over-written the song at this point. It’s been chipped away at and rejiggered so much that it just doesn’t do it for me. For me, the best released is from warehouse 10 vol 1 from 2010 (I know folks will disagree, just my opinion).

I’m not sure whatever it is will feature Bismarck - we all love that jam, but it has not been played at all with buddy so yeaaaahhhh.....

Would be cool for it to be a true band album, them all working in the studio and at the very least having the recording itself be new vs constructed of bits and pieces from old recording sessions. We’ll see......one would hope folks in the band have been writing with all this free time this year, but we’ll see...
    kenticus is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2020, 08:54 PM   #60
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I’m pretty certain we’ll see just one more album. They feel happy, they want to capture the band in its current state, and, I also bet they REALLY want a hit. Not just #1 on Billboard, but an album they know is great, and that fans think is great. CT clearly had issues coming to release, AFTW was restrictive for Dave so he wasn’t happy with it. BW was the last time the band put out a BIG album that they were 100% happy with and it made a splash. My theory is whatever they do next, they want it to be authentically something they are proud of.

That’s why I think the next album will be all new, all by Batson.

I’d love Bismarck, KTK, Break Free, Sugar Will, and Crazy-Easy but only if they rerecord those tracks and let them breathe. But I just don’t think they will. We’ll get one more official studio album 2021 or 2022, and that will start the process of hanging it up.
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote