Visiting Charlottesville - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
j2k35

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Visiting Charlottesville

I am heading down to Charlotesville in a couple weeks and wanted to hit up some Dave/ DMB related sports. Obviously Blenheim and Millers, but can anyone recommend some other locations, as well as good anywhere to eat/ drink on a football weekend.

I recall a link to a list of all places to see, but can't find it for the life of me.

Thanks!
j2k35 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Visiting Charlottesville

I understand he's not into sports
    Old 08-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
    DMat514

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Well Millers is located in the downtown mall area, which is kind of a mini city center, can walk around and look at different stores and restaurants. Some good places to eat down there are The Whiskey Jar (Southern food & great mixed drinks), there is a new upscale burger joint with grass fed beef if that is your thing called Citizens Burger, theres a small rooftop bar there, and too many restaurants to choose from, some are pretty pricey, but there is a good variety. As far as sports bars and good places to eat and drink while watching some football, I would look into going to the "corner", which is like 2 miles from downtown, right on the corner of UVA's campus, has some cool sports bars like No.3 and Boylan heights.
    DMat514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
    Jake

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

In the news section, from Nov 2010, there is a little write up & map of things to do (map is down now, however)
    Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
    berman1125

Shows Seen: 84

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

go visit roi and give him some flowers
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zrroot View Post
    Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998
    berman1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
    jas230314

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Charlottesville is kind of divided into 2 parts - the area concentrated around the University of Virginia's campus and on the other side of the bridge, the area around the downtown mall.

Miller's in right in the middle of the downtown mall, and is impossible to miss. It's also one of the few places where you can openly ask about DMB if you care to. Can't guarantee if the server will know anything or want to field questions about DMB, though. Upstairs in Miller's is where Dave first showed roi and carter his music, which is interesting. You'll see the very very small stage in Miller's which is a great place to see music.On the other side of the downtown mall from millers, across the street (and on the other side of a parking lot) is an odd pink building - which is the 'warehouse', and the location of the famous first DMB show, which was on the roof.

At the end of the mall (on the far side) is the beautiful cville pavilion (I think it's the nTelos Pavilion?). Obviously some old DMB shows were played there, and more recently a Dave and Tim show - but it's open to the public so you can walk on stage and all... it's very pretty.

On the campus of UVA (which you should really visit - it's arguably one of the most beautiful campuses in the country/on earth), you can see the outdoor amphitheater - McIntire Amphitheater - where DMB played the release party for Under the table and dreaming. Trax is no longer there, but it stood near the railroad tracks on the UVA side of the bridge, but nothing remains.

Otherwise... there's not much that would fascinate a DMB fan. My advice, if you're comfortable, is to talk to and ask business owners or locals (people between 40-60 is perfect) about Dave Matthews, and you'll find a ton of people have connections to the band. If it's a football weekend, don't ask if it's really busy, but hit the downtown mall early one day and just ask the local shopowners if they have any stories/etc. I've met tons of people casually, without even looking for information, including a woman who let Dave live in her basement in the earliest days of the band. Carter and Dave would practice there until this lady would ask them to stop (haha!). From what I know, he stayed there for 6-9 months and at the time, drove a Saab or Volvo. Something semi-nice.

Either way, enjoy Charlottesville. It's a beautiful place. I highly recommend the Saturday morning market on the downtown mall, walking on the stage of the pavilion, and seeing/exploring the UVA campus as much as you can.

11/19 and 11/20
    Best shows I've ever seen, I'll miss this band

jas230314 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
    jas230314

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    In the news section, from Nov 2010, there is a little write up & map of things to do (map is down now, however)
    I remember this map, and write up too, and either one would really help anyone who isn't familiar with the area. It has all the DMB places to see.

11/19 and 11/20
    Best shows I've ever seen, I'll miss this band

jas230314 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
    420th jimi
    West Coast LoVE!

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jas230314 View Post
    Charlottesville is kind of divided into 2 parts - the area concentrated around the University of Virginia's campus and on the other side of the bridge, the area around the downtown mall.

Miller's in right in the middle of the downtown mall, and is impossible to miss. It's also one of the few places where you can openly ask about DMB if you care to. Can't guarantee if the server will know anything or want to field questions about DMB, though. Upstairs in Miller's is where Dave first showed roi and carter his music, which is interesting. You'll see the very very small stage in Miller's which is a great place to see music.On the other side of the downtown mall from millers, across the street (and on the other side of a parking lot) is an odd pink building - which is the 'warehouse', and the location of the famous first DMB show, which was on the roof.

At the end of the mall (on the far side) is the beautiful cville pavilion (I think it's the nTelos Pavilion?). Obviously some old DMB shows were played there, and more recently a Dave and Tim show - but it's open to the public so you can walk on stage and all... it's very pretty.

On the campus of UVA (which you should really visit - it's arguably one of the most beautiful campuses in the country/on earth), you can see the outdoor amphitheater - McIntire Amphitheater - where DMB played the release party for Under the table and dreaming. Trax is no longer there, but it stood near the railroad tracks on the UVA side of the bridge, but nothing remains.

Otherwise... there's not much that would fascinate a DMB fan. My advice, if you're comfortable, is to talk to and ask business owners or locals (people between 40-60 is perfect) about Dave Matthews, and you'll find a ton of people have connections to the band. If it's a football weekend, don't ask if it's really busy, but hit the downtown mall early one day and just ask the local shopowners if they have any stories/etc. I've met tons of people casually, without even looking for information, including a woman who let Dave live in her basement in the earliest days of the band. Carter and Dave would practice there until this lady would ask them to stop (haha!). From what I know, he stayed there for 6-9 months and at the time, drove a Saab or Volvo. Something semi-nice.

Either way, enjoy Charlottesville. It's a beautiful place. I highly recommend the Saturday morning market on the downtown mall, walking on the stage of the pavilion, and seeing/exploring the UVA campus as much as you can.
    Great write up here. The pink "warehouse" was not the first DMB show but one of the early ones for sure.

The only thing I can add is if you are there on a Thursday be sure and head over to Miller's because it is jazz night and it's free. John D'Earth puts it on every Thursday and John has quite the connection to the band. He helped Dave make his demo that Dave in turn handed to LeRoi and Carter to ask them to join the band. John was also Stefan's music teacher. He has appeared numerous times with the band including the last few stops in C'ville. It's such a good time and there are some great artists that show up and play in the front window (the stage).

Old 08-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
    CMartin348

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Definitely visit Blenheim (I visited today) and I'd also check out Thomas Jefferson's home if you're interested in history. The views from up there were beautiful!

Sent via iPhone
    Old 08-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
    dmb27364041
    Since '99

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FeelingGood View Post
    I understand he's not into sports
    Quite the contrary sir...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnDX6wu2Ujk
    Old 08-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Don't forget LeRoi.
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=29187035
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-25-2012, 07:04 AM   #12
    barbogast
    Two's a Perfect Number

Shows Seen: 46

My Tour Central Stats

Go to Bodo's

/thread

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRS1386 View Post
    I sort of want the Caps to win because Barbs is awesome
    barbogast is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-25-2012, 07:05 AM   #13
    barbogast
    Two's a Perfect Number

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    This is about three miles from my house. Kinda wild.

Quote:
    Old 08-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #14
    harribri

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by berman1125 View Post
    go visit roi and give him some flowers
    this.

also, Starr Hill Brewery is a cool place to visit. They are located down the street from Musictoday. If you have an outstanding order with the warehouse or any other issues with the DMBstore, maybe you would like to visit musictoday as well.
    Old 08-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #15
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by harribri View Post
    this.

also, Starr Hill Brewery is a cool place to visit. They are located down the street from Musictoday. If you have an outstanding order with the warehouse or any other issues with the DMBstore, maybe you would like to visit musictoday as well.
    If you can find it, the original van I parked there too
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #16
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by harribri View Post
    this.

star hill's beers are not even the best in the area. avoid.
    unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #17
    Hilly

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unccrombie View Post
    Avoid?

That's a stretch. Star Hill may not be the greatest brewery in the world, but many of it's brews are quite tasty and extremely enjoyable.
    Old 08-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #18
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    Avoid?

That's a stretch. Star Hill may not be the greatest brewery in the world, but many of it's brews are quite tasty and extremely enjoyable.
    if by extremely enjoyable you mean lackluster and forgettable. sure.

if you can only do one brewery in c-ville, it would not be star hill.
    unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #19
    barbogast
    Two's a Perfect Number

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unccrombie View Post
    While I agree it's not the best, their Northern Lights IPA is damn good.

But in general you're right. Jomo sucks, Lucy sucks, and their amber sucks as well.

edit: also, if you want a brewery recommend in Cville I'd go with South Street. Delicious stuff. Good food too. Also happens to be right next door to the pink warehouse. Win win for a beer drinking DMB fan.

Quote:

Last edited by barbogast; 08-27-2012 at 11:08 AM.
    Old 08-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #20
    arriflex

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

eat at THE BOX. Drink there all night too.
    Old 08-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #21
    jwehaeDMB
    Juice

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Visited Charlottesville on Sunday/Monday.....finally got to see Miller's. Very cool vibe, ate outside on the patio. So surprised there isnt a single thing in the entire place relating to DMB other than an old license plate that says "DMB JAM".
    Atlanta 2006, my wife and I enjoyed a great show. I drank moderately and had a bite to eat before leaving. Upon our arrival home we had intercourse in the missionary position for the sole purpose of procreation. A child was concieved and is now the light of our lives.
    jwehaeDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #22
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

I'm going soon, end of 2014/early 2015. Been working on putting a list together of things to see.

I've got 11 places in CVille to visit and 2 outside of CVille to visit (1 on the way in, 1 slightly outside).
    Old 08-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #23
    jwehaeDMB
    Juice

My Tour Central Stats

If you check out the Charlottesville Community Chalkboard in the historic downtown area (where Miller's is), theres a plaque with all the contributors and trustees to the area. Boyd is listed as well as DMB Bama Works foundation
    Atlanta 2006, my wife and I enjoyed a great show. I drank moderately and had a bite to eat before leaving. Upon our arrival home we had intercourse in the missionary position for the sole purpose of procreation. A child was concieved and is now the light of our lives.
    Old 08-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #24
    barbogast
    Two's a Perfect Number

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm going soon, end of 2014/early 2015. Been working on putting a list together of things to see.

I've got 11 places in CVille to visit and 2 outside of CVille to visit (1 on the way in, 1 slightly outside).
    Did you ever get the Eastern Standard thing figured out? I responded to you in the Cville your thread but you never replied back

Quote:
    Old 08-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #25
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barbogast View Post
    Did you ever get the Eastern Standard thing figured out? I responded to you in the Cville your thread but you never replied back

Oh I didn't see that - but yeah, I did. I got ahold of the folks at the Whisky Jar, they said Eastern Standard was in the space above them, it's a new restaurant now.
    Old 08-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #26
    barbogast
    Two's a Perfect Number

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Oh I didn't see that - but yeah, I did. I got ahold of the folks at the Whisky Jar, they said Eastern Standard was in the space above them, it's a new restaurant now.
    awesome. Hope you enjoy your visit

Quote:
    Old 08-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #27
    jwehaeDMB
    Juice

My Tour Central Stats

chadizzy - this video may be of some help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rtmpXGZ7jM
    Old 08-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #28
    birdsfan09
    O's/Ravens/Caps/Terps

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Always enjoy visiting charlottesville. If you're into craft beer, check out devils backbone an blue mountain breweries. Both are southwest of the city, but are worth the 30-40 minute drive. Good beer and food at each. Some lists rank DB as the best brewery in Virginia.
    Even if you're not a history buff, Monticello is beautiful because of the architecture, gardens, and vistas.
    birdsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #29
    barbogast
    Two's a Perfect Number

My Tour Central Stats

So what are your 13 stops Chad? I didn't even realize there's that many DMB things to do here

Quote:
    Old 08-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #30
    MikeZimm

My Tour Central Stats

Headed to C'ville this weekend.
    Hoping to hit a few spots downtown and a few breweries and vineyards including Blenheim
    Thanks for the added info above