Weightlifting - Page 193 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 04-05-2017, 12:37 PM   #5761
Timebomb07

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Weightlifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonlevene View Post
I haven't been in a gym with 35# plates in a while.
My college and last two gyms I've been at has had them. It's nice to not have to scour the gym for 10 plates all of the time. They can be scarce or totally misplaced a lot.
Timebomb07 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-05-2017, 01:45 PM   #5762
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Man, haven't been in this thread in ages. I have pretty much folded on lifting in the traditional sense.

Been "off the wagon" when it comes to working out, but when I am in the zone I'm all about bodyweight/light weight exercises and cardio these days while eating a largely Mediterranean diet. I read a book/articles on blue zones and it really fascinated me.
    Old 12-18-2017, 01:01 PM   #5763
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    Man, peeking in this thread every now and again has been tough as I'm recovering from back surgery. There was a time when I was playing college football when I could bench 395 and used to warm up with 225. Those were the days

There will never be a time when I lift that much again, but I can't wait to get back in the gym eventually. There's really no feeling like getting that solid pump on and leaving the gym feeling accomplished. Life has been totally different without it. No idea what the timeline is for being able to lift weights or what my limitations will be (obviously no deadlifts/squats anymore).
    Been meaning to top this thread. It's been a little over two years since this post and I'm happy to report that I am back in the gym lifting weights at a new gym for about 2.5 months now. I had joined a boxing gym last July to shed some weight for my wedding, which was great, but it unfortunately closed. I then took almost a year off (inexcusable) but have been back at it hard recently.

Found a gym that offers small group classes of weightlifting and conditioning. The coaches are really good guys, super knowledgable, and really focused on good form and safety. They're well-aware of my back problems and always help me stay focused on form or offer me a modification. Been going at 5:30 a.m. 4-5 times per week, my clothes are fitting much better, went down 3 (!) belt loops, and overall feel great. Been eating pretty healthy (still drinking too many IPAs ), trying to make good choices. It's crazy what a difference a good exercise routine does for your focus, enthusiasm, and overall attitude. So happy to have moved past that time in my life with my back issues, those days of not being able to work out were absolute hell (knock on wood).
    Old 12-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #5764
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Been meaning to top this thread. It's been a little over two years since this post and I'm happy to report that I am back in the gym lifting weights at a new gym for about 2.5 months now. I had joined a boxing gym last July to shed some weight for my wedding, which was great, but it unfortunately closed. I then took almost a year off (inexcusable) but have been back at it hard recently.

Found a gym that offers small group classes of weightlifting and conditioning. The coaches are really good guys, super knowledgable, and really focused on good form and safety. They're well-aware of my back problems and always help me stay focused on form or offer me a modification. Been going at 5:30 a.m. 4-5 times per week, my clothes are fitting much better, went down 3 (!) belt loops, and overall feel great. Been eating pretty healthy (still drinking too many IPAs ), trying to make good choices. It's crazy what a difference a good exercise routine does for your focus, enthusiasm, and overall attitude. So happy to have moved past that time in my life with my back issues, those days of not being able to work out were absolute hell (knock on wood).
    That is awesome man! Congrats!!!

I try (sometimes successful) to stick with red wine or bourbon when possible...probably drink beer only 1x per week. Makes a big difference.
    MDPrompter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-18-2017, 04:06 PM   #5765
    laura22

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

can now do 7 full pull ups in a row #MiniNinja

Quote:

this is so true. exercise has a cascade effect. 45 min in the morning gives you so much more than that 45 min workout. sets the day and the mentality

Last edited by laura22; 12-18-2017 at 04:07 PM.
    laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-19-2017, 04:00 AM   #5766
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdmarvich View Post
    That is awesome man! Congrats!!!

I try (sometimes successful) to stick with red wine or bourbon when possible...probably drink beer only 1x per week. Makes a big difference.
    Thanks man! And yeah I definitely drink less beer in the winter, though bourbon still proportionally has a lot of calories per ounce and red wine has a lot of sugar. Basically unless you’re drinking vodka sodas, alcohol is going to be one of the worst things you can put in your body nutritionally. Unfortunately I can’t stop myself from doing it

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laura22 View Post
    can now do 7 full pull ups in a row #MiniNinja

this is so true. exercise has a cascade effect. 45 min in the morning gives you so much more than that 45 min workout. sets the day and the mentality
    7 pull-ups is no joke! My gym has been incorporating more pull-ups into our workouts on mondays and fridays, they are a lot harder for me than they used to be when I was 20

And amen to the ripple effect. Just such a good boost in the morning, I feel much sharper at work and it just feels good to be active. Though by the time 3 rolls around I really do start to drag ass
    Old 12-19-2017, 06:11 AM   #5767
    jwehaeDMB
    Juice

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

To be saluted!
    Atlanta 2006, my wife and I enjoyed a great show. I drank moderately and had a bite to eat before leaving. Upon our arrival home we had intercourse in the missionary position for the sole purpose of procreation. A child was concieved and is now the light of our lives.
    jwehaeDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-19-2017, 12:14 PM   #5768
    dmbman32
    Turn your back, Charles

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

I saw the earlier posts about free-weights vs. machines.

I've had my tennis elbow flare up again this summer on my right arm, and it's still nagging. It FINALLY dawned on me that, most likely, the primary cause was overuse from lifting free-weights/body-weight stuff. I did twice a week lifting sessions with bench press/dumbbell curls/push-ups/chin-ups/pull-ups/etc forever, and I think the workload finally caught up with me. While I never lifted amounts beyond my means, and my form was never awful, I'm sure it was a case of "a little off + no giant periods of rest = muscle pain."

The machines have been helpful because I can drop the weight, perfect my form, and typically avoid a flare-up. However, I'm slowly bringing back in some free-weights & push ups to see if that helps.

In short, machines are always great if something hurts but you don't want to just sit around.
    Old 12-19-2017, 12:33 PM   #5769
    jwehaeDMB
    Juice

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbman32 View Post
    I saw the earlier posts about free-weights vs. machines.

I've had my tennis elbow flare up again this summer on my right arm, and it's still nagging. It FINALLY dawned on me that, most likely, the primary cause was overuse from lifting free-weights/body-weight stuff. I did twice a week lifting sessions with bench press/dumbbell curls/push-ups/chin-ups/pull-ups/etc forever, and I think the workload finally caught up with me. While I never lifted amounts beyond my means, and my form was never awful, I'm sure it was a case of "a little off + no giant periods of rest = muscle pain."

The machines have been helpful because I can drop the weight, perfect my form, and typically avoid a flare-up. However, I'm slowly bringing back in some free-weights & push ups to see if that helps.

In short, machines are always great if something hurts but you don't want to just sit around.

This is true. You don't want to rely too much on machines, as they require little to no core stabilization, and limited range of motion. In certain cases they work fine but free weights are generally better
    Atlanta 2006, my wife and I enjoyed a great show. I drank moderately and had a bite to eat before leaving. Upon our arrival home we had intercourse in the missionary position for the sole purpose of procreation. A child was concieved and is now the light of our lives.
    jwehaeDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-29-2018, 07:06 AM   #5770
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I've found some inconclusive answers so wanted to float this question here.

I've started a lean gains/kinda keto diet with the goal of dropping my body fat %. The diet incorporates a lot of protein to help my muscles still grow/maintain during. I've also started going to the gym first thing in the mornings. I've noticed that the fasted workouts a) seem to really burn fat and b) really help my stamina and focus.

However, I'm worried that I'm burning protein and turning to muscles as fuel by doing the fasted workouts. I eat almost immediately after the workouts (typically eggs).

So my questions: Am I burning muscle fuel in those workouts? Should I take a BCAA before or would that ruin my fasted workout?
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-29-2018, 07:23 AM   #5771
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post

I've started a lean gains/kinda keto diet with the goal of dropping my body fat %. The diet incorporates a lot of protein to help my muscles still grow/maintain during. I've also started going to the gym first thing in the mornings. I've noticed that the fasted workouts a) seem to really burn fat and b) really help my stamina and focus.

However, I'm worried that I'm burning protein and turning to muscles as fuel by doing the fasted workouts. I eat almost immediately after the workouts (typically eggs).

So my questions: Am I burning muscle fuel in those workouts? Should I take a BCAA before or would that ruin my fasted workout?
    I have no idea about the science or physiology behind it, but I can speak from experience. I too workout early in the morning (5:30) and try to not eat after dinner the night before. Usually, though, in the mornings I will have something very small to eat; I'm talking maybe a sip or two of protein shake, a handful of almonds, half a banana, etc. I take BCAA's before and after my workouts as well. It's also crucial to get protein back to your muscles as quickly as you can post-workout, like within 20-30 min. I slam a protein shake the second I get into my car after the gym because I can feel my muscles craving some fuel to rebuild after working out.

As far as what you're burning (protein, carbs, fats, or a combo of both), I wouldn't really worry about that too much. Whatever you put into your belly pre-workout, being a small bite or sip of something, is going to get digested and used up more quickly than anything else. Unless you're doing a marathon or some really insane workouts, I don't think your body is going to turn to your muscle protein as its first source of fuel. From what I've read it's also largely dependent on what type of workout you're doing. Most likely you're going to be burning fat before you get to the protein in your muscles.
    Old 01-29-2018, 07:25 AM   #5772
    fridge112887
    William Perry

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Essentially you're doing a form of intermittent fasting. How long are you working out? What intensity are you training at? What type of workout are you doing (weights vs cardiovascular)? There's plenty of info online but a very good starting point would be leangains.com. Martin Berkham (who popularized IF a few years ago) runs the site and offers plenty of quality info

From experience, IF it does work. If you're looking to shed weight, fasting is an awesome tool (again, from experience) and the early morning mental clarity was probably my largest 'pro'. I stopped fasting because it threw my hormonal cycle off and my cortisol spiked at weird times and it was a pain to fall a sleep at night.
    Old 01-29-2018, 11:24 AM   #5773
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I have no idea about the science or physiology behind it, but I can speak from experience. I too workout early in the morning (5:30) and try to not eat after dinner the night before. Usually, though, in the mornings I will have something very small to eat; I'm talking maybe a sip or two of protein shake, a handful of almonds, half a banana, etc. I take BCAA's before and after my workouts as well. It's also crucial to get protein back to your muscles as quickly as you can post-workout, like within 20-30 min. I slam a protein shake the second I get into my car after the gym because I can feel my muscles craving some fuel to rebuild after working out.

As far as what you're burning (protein, carbs, fats, or a combo of both), I wouldn't really worry about that too much. Whatever you put into your belly pre-workout, being a small bite or sip of something, is going to get digested and used up more quickly than anything else. Unless you're doing a marathon or some really insane workouts, I don't think your body is going to turn to your muscle protein as its first source of fuel. From what I've read it's also largely dependent on what type of workout you're doing. Most likely you're going to be burning fat before you get to the protein in your muscles.
    I started going in the morning (6:30) last week. I was going with nothing except the protein shake I had at 8 the night before. I can tell I feel weaker but it's been a huge encouragement to fight through it and push harder so far.

I eat about 30 min after I finish lifting (shower, short commute to work). I want to get into BCAA's but I've read conflicting reports about that breaking your fast and what the insulin spike does to your fasted state.

Would a BCAA drink before the work out be beneficial given my goal is drop body fat percentage and build lean muscle?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fridge112887 View Post
    Essentially you're doing a form of intermittent fasting. How long are you working out? What intensity are you training at? What type of workout are you doing (weights vs cardiovascular)? There's plenty of info online but a very good starting point would be leangains.com. Martin Berkham (who popularized IF a few years ago) runs the site and offers plenty of quality info

From experience, IF it does work. If you're looking to shed weight, fasting is an awesome tool (again, from experience) and the early morning mental clarity was probably my largest 'pro'. I stopped fasting because it threw my hormonal cycle off and my cortisol spiked at weird times and it was a pain to fall a sleep at night.
    Most of my workouts take 45 min to an hour. I'm doing weightlifting. Typically 3-4 exercises, 5-7 sets within each exercise, 4-8 reps depending on weight load. My goal is to go heavy enough that I can only do 4-6 solid reps.

I've done IF before but I was working out after work when I did it. The diet plan I'm on now has been really beneficial to help me shed some lbs and I can already see my belly getting smaller.

I guess I'm just trying to make sure I'm not going to throw anything major for a loop in my body and develop diabetes or something. Also, just don't want to derail my gains/loses by throwing something (like a BCAA drink) into the equation.
    Old 01-29-2018, 11:33 AM   #5774
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I started going in the morning (6:30) last week. I was going with nothing except the protein shake I had at 8 the night before. I can tell I feel weaker but it's been a huge encouragement to fight through it and push harder so far.

I eat about 30 min after I finish lifting (shower, short commute to work). I want to get into BCAA's but I've read conflicting reports about that breaking your fast and what the insulin spike does to your fasted state.

Would a BCAA drink before the work out be beneficial given my goal is drop body fat percentage and build lean muscle?

Most of my workouts take 45 min to an hour. I'm doing weightlifting. Typically 3-4 exercises, 5-7 sets within each exercise, 4-8 reps depending on weight load. My goal is to go heavy enough that I can only do 4-6 solid reps.

I've done IF before but I was working out after work when I did it. The diet plan I'm on now has been really beneficial to help me shed some lbs and I can already see my belly getting smaller.

I guess I'm just trying to make sure I'm not going to throw anything major for a loop in my body and develop diabetes or something. Also, just don't want to derail my gains/loses by throwing something (like a BCAA drink) into the equation.
    Honestly I think you're probably thinking too much into things. Just do whatever works for you. If you want to experiment with BCAAs pre-workout, then just try it for a week or two. Nothing negative will happen to you. Generally speaking BCAAs are really good for recovery and for protein synthesis. Adding them literally cannot hurt you, and from a dietary perspective I don't think it will help or hurt you one way or another.

I would definitely recommend adding a protein shake immediately after your lift, though. Your muscles are the "hungriest" so to speak at that point and are craving protein to start building back up and recovering. I've noticed I'm recovering from my workouts much faster since I started stacking the protein and BCAAs.

I also drink a scoop and a half of this about a half hour before my workouts, I've loved it, I don't get jittery like with other preworkouts and my endurance/stamina has spiked in the past month since I've started taking it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Old 01-29-2018, 11:48 AM   #5775
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

If you're trying to cut weight while maintaining strength, I'd suggest training in reverse pyramid style. You begin your set with a heavy weight and for each additional set add one rep and subtract 10% from the bar.

Explanation: https://leangains.com/reverse-pyramid-training-guide/

No, additional branch chains before your workout will not throw you out of balance.
    Old 01-29-2018, 11:50 AM   #5776
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks guys! Big help!
    Old 01-29-2018, 11:54 AM   #5777
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Plus reverse pyramid style training is a lot of fun. Starting your working sets with your heaviest weight makes you feel like you own the fucking place.

When I have a minute I'll type up more of what I eat and do in the gym for a reference in case anyone cares/needs ideas
    Old 01-29-2018, 12:36 PM   #5778
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thanks guys! Big help!
    Best way to tell...responding to your original post.... if you are getting stronger then you aren’t burning muscle.

I do keto/IF as well. Never had an issue burning muscle. Another good tool is to find a place with bodpod and get your body fat/lean mass measured.
    MDPrompter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-29-2018, 01:12 PM   #5779
    laura22

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

there's so much conflicting research about fasted workouts. i've most recently read that having a small amount of fuel before a workout has shown to improve your performance during exercise, which yields to overall greater athletic performance, compared to the benefits gained from continuous workout out in a fasted state. (this was for endurance training, however)

like many others in here, i tend to put more value into what i eat after, instead of before.

timing is everything. and common sense. lol
    laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-29-2018, 03:13 PM   #5780
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Honestly I think you're probably thinking too much into things. Just do whatever works for you. If you want to experiment with BCAAs pre-workout, then just try it for a week or two. Nothing negative will happen to you. Generally speaking BCAAs are really good for recovery and for protein synthesis. Adding them literally cannot hurt you, and from a dietary perspective I don't think it will help or hurt you one way or another.

I would definitely recommend adding a protein shake immediately after your lift, though. Your muscles are the "hungriest" so to speak at that point and are craving protein to start building back up and recovering. I've noticed I'm recovering from my workouts much faster since I started stacking the protein and BCAAs.

I also drink a scoop and a half of this about a half hour before my workouts, I've loved it, I don't get jittery like with other preworkouts and my endurance/stamina has spiked in the past month since I've started taking it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Have a reco on BCAA's? I know nothing about them. Outside of protein, I don't take anything.

Also, I'm pretty erratic when it comes to the gym because of my schedule and general desire to push it off. I'll kill it one month, but then slack off the next. Would like to get better about schedule and controlling what I'm taking.
    Old 01-29-2018, 05:31 PM   #5781
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timebomb07 View Post
    Have a reco on BCAA's? I know nothing about them. Outside of protein, I don't take anything.

Also, I'm pretty erratic when it comes to the gym because of my schedule and general desire to push it off. I'll kill it one month, but then slack off the next. Would like to get better about schedule and controlling what I'm taking.
    I don't use them but Scivation Xtend is the OG branch chain product. Seems to be rather popular. If you consume enough protein throughout the day the additional BCAA's are useless.
    Old 01-29-2018, 05:57 PM   #5782
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I take the MusclePharm variety just because I’ve bought from that brand a lot and I think they were on sale the last time I bought them .

As far as routine, it’s just about mentally holding yourself accountable. My dad gave me a great piece of advice when I was 13 and just starting to get into lifting for football: “There are two times when you have to go to the gym: when you feel like it, and when you don’t feel like it.” I always keep that in mind. Waking up early actually helps me stay focused as well. If my alarm goes off at 4:45, and I wake up and don’t go, then what’s the point?

Quote:
    I don't use them but Scivation Xtend is the OG branch chain product. Seems to be rather popular. If you consume enough protein throughout the day the additional BCAA's are useless.
    Is this actually true? I’ve read a decent amount on BCAAs and from what I gather, it’s the timing that’s important, not the amount of protein you end up taking. I could obviously be wrong though.
    Old 01-29-2018, 06:22 PM   #5783
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Is this actually true? I’ve read a decent amount on BCAAs and from what I gather, it’s the timing that’s important, not the amount of protein you end up taking. I could obviously be wrong though.
    Yes. As I'm sure you know, amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Branch chain amino acids are really only beneficial prior to completely fasted training. If one refrains from eating for "X amount of time" after the workout (lets say a few hours for example), then BCAAs might be somewhat beneficial in this situation. Amino acids remain in the blood stream for several hours.

As far as meal timing goes, total daily caloric intake >>>>> meal timing.

Edit: if you also consume whey then you're consuming the necessary amount of BCAAs and also renders the powdered BCAAs unnecessary. If you have the extra $$$$ and enjoy the taste, go for it. Just know that they're not vital as a standalone supplement. The supplement industry is fantastic at marketing.

Last edited by fridge112887; 01-29-2018 at 06:25 PM.
    fridge112887 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2018, 02:20 AM   #5784
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yes. As I'm sure you know, amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Branch chain amino acids are really only beneficial prior to completely fasted training. If one refrains from eating for "X amount of time" after the workout (lets say a few hours for example), then BCAAs might be somewhat beneficial in this situation. Amino acids remain in the blood stream for several hours.

As far as meal timing goes, total daily caloric intake >>>>> meal timing.

Edit: if you also consume whey then you're consuming the necessary amount of BCAAs and also renders the powdered BCAAs unnecessary. If you have the extra $$$$ and enjoy the taste, go for it. Just know that they're not vital as a standalone supplement. The supplement industry is fantastic at marketing.
    I get what you’re saying and sorry if there’s any confusion but as far as timing I was talking about the BCAAs, not meals. By that token surely there must be a difference between taking BCAAs before and/or during a workout rather than afterwards when I’m getting my protein?
    Old 01-30-2018, 04:16 AM   #5785
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

I typically do a whey shake directly after working out. Sounds like BCAAs may not do much additional?

Also need to try to eat more protein (and in general) throughout the day. Putting on weight is difficult for me, so can't imagine putting on muscle mass is any easier.
    Old 01-30-2018, 06:58 AM   #5786
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I get what you’re saying and sorry if there’s any confusion but as far as timing I was talking about the BCAAs, not meals. By that token surely there must be a difference between taking BCAAs before and/or during a workout rather than afterwards when I’m getting my protein?
    Ah, sorry. Simply put, if you work out fasted in the morning, then BCAA's prior to training have a benefit. Post workout you're going to be consuming food sources so they wouldn't have much (if any) value then. No need to supplement anytime after your workout/meals. Does that answer your question?

Quote:
    I typically do a whey shake directly after working out. Sounds like BCAAs may not do much additional?

Also need to try to eat more protein (and in general) throughout the day. Putting on weight is difficult for me, so can't imagine putting on muscle mass is any easier.
    I couldn't find the article but more recent studies have shown that we need less protein per kg/bodyweight than what is advertised......something like 0.6-0.87 grams/kg. The 1 gram/lb seems to be a bit too high.
    Old 01-30-2018, 06:58 AM   #5787
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Since I started doing the majority of my workouts in the morning I've noticed my DOMs are severely less awful. To the point of nonexistent almost. I know I'm pushing it just as hard, if not harder in the mornings.

Is this because I'm eating protein all day following the workouts vs lifting at night, I'd get dinner afterwards and that'd be it? Or are the cosmic workout gods showing me temporary favor?
    Old 01-30-2018, 07:17 AM   #5788
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Ah, sorry. Simply put, if you work out fasted in the morning, then BCAA's prior to training have a benefit. Post workout you're going to be consuming food sources so they wouldn't have much (if any) value then. No need to supplement anytime after your workout/meals. Does that answer your question?
    Yeah, not so much a question but I was just looking for reaffirmation as to my routine of taking BCAAs prior to working out.

I'm not necessarily "fasted" in the mornings but if I don't eat for 11-12 hours before working out (dinner at 6-6:30, workouts start at 5:30 am the next day) then it sounds like I'm getting the benefit I'm seeking from the BCAAs.
    Old 03-09-2018, 07:55 AM   #5789
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

So I started that diet/cut in early January and used the 4-week program as an 8-week nutritional guideline. 1 cheat meal per week. I took: men's vitamin, fish oil, magnesium, potassium and a probiotic. Plus a BCAA drink before training. I hit the gym six days a week and used Sunday as a recovery day. I did abs almost every day (took a few days off here and there).

Stepped into my final weigh-in this morning and landed at 189 lbs. I started at 210 lbs. So 21 lbs in 8 weeks. I have more lean muscle than I've ever had before. I feel like I have more definition than ever. I didn't know my body fat % beforehand but I'd assume it was near 23-25%. I'd say I'm down to 16-17% now.

Didn't quite hit all of my goals but the results are pretty positive. I realistically wanted to hit 188 lbs but idealistically wanted 180 or 185 lbs. My goal body fat % is 12-15% but I knew going in that that was probably pretty unrealistic.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with results. This renewed my energy and has made me realize how there's so much better and more efficient way to live when you eat and train properly. The two are not separated. To train better you have to eat better.

We leave for a well deserved vacation on Monday. I'm hoping I don't gorge myself on the cruise but I want tacos, pizza, burgers and beer so bad. Regardless, this has given me the motivation to strike hard again when we get back to finish out those goals. Plus I can tell my body is in dire need of a de-load week. Hips and shoulders are starting to feel the brunt of the training.

Last edited by WidespreadMule3; 03-09-2018 at 07:56 AM.
    Old 04-11-2018, 04:42 PM   #5790
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Good article from a reputable source:

https://bayesianbodybuilding.com/opt...rogram-design/