Weightlifting - Page 194 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 04-12-2018, 06:22 AM   #5791
Timebomb07

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Weightlifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
So I started that diet/cut in early January and used the 4-week program as an 8-week nutritional guideline. 1 cheat meal per week. I took: men's vitamin, fish oil, magnesium, potassium and a probiotic. Plus a BCAA drink before training. I hit the gym six days a week and used Sunday as a recovery day. I did abs almost every day (took a few days off here and there).

Stepped into my final weigh-in this morning and landed at 189 lbs. I started at 210 lbs. So 21 lbs in 8 weeks. I have more lean muscle than I've ever had before. I feel like I have more definition than ever. I didn't know my body fat % beforehand but I'd assume it was near 23-25%. I'd say I'm down to 16-17% now.

Didn't quite hit all of my goals but the results are pretty positive. I realistically wanted to hit 188 lbs but idealistically wanted 180 or 185 lbs. My goal body fat % is 12-15% but I knew going in that that was probably pretty unrealistic.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with results. This renewed my energy and has made me realize how there's so much better and more efficient way to live when you eat and train properly. The two are not separated. To train better you have to eat better.

We leave for a well deserved vacation on Monday. I'm hoping I don't gorge myself on the cruise but I want tacos, pizza, burgers and beer so bad. Regardless, this has given me the motivation to strike hard again when we get back to finish out those goals. Plus I can tell my body is in dire need of a de-load week. Hips and shoulders are starting to feel the brunt of the training.
What did you end up following? Sorry if it was stated previously.

I'm conscious of what I eat, focus on hitting macro goals throughout the week, but the weekend can throw me off (drinking + food).

Would love something to follow.
Timebomb07 is online now   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-12-2018, 07:00 AM   #5792
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timebomb07 View Post
    What did you end up following? Sorry if it was stated previously.

I'm conscious of what I eat, focus on hitting macro goals throughout the week, but the weekend can throw me off (drinking + food).

Would love something to follow.
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/content...t-burning.html

This is what I used.

I did it grand total about 10 weeks. It got easier as I went along but after I got back from vacation I was wrecked and loosely followed it.

Now, I'm doing a different diet that incorporates about double the daily carbs as that diet. It's significantly easier but I'd still rather be eating tacos.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2018, 07:03 AM   #5793
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I really need to start getting my diet in check. I'm working out 4-5 times per week still but I know I could be better about what I'm consuming. Damn craft beer, I just can't resist it
    Old 04-12-2018, 08:24 AM   #5794
    Timebomb07

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/content...t-burning.html

This is what I used.

I did it grand total about 10 weeks. It got easier as I went along but after I got back from vacation I was wrecked and loosely followed it.

Now, I'm doing a different diet that incorporates about double the daily carbs as that diet. It's significantly easier but I'd still rather be eating tacos.
    Cool, thanks. I definitely need to burn off some fat, but I am weight-appropriate. Ideally I'd like to gain 10 lbs, but needs to be lean.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    I really need to start getting my diet in check. I'm working out 4-5 times per week still but I know I could be better about what I'm consuming. Damn craft beer, I just can't resist it
    Yeah... this is killing me.
    Timebomb07 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2018, 10:32 AM   #5795
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timebomb07 View Post
    Cool, thanks. I definitely need to burn off some fat, but I am weight-appropriate. Ideally I'd like to gain 10 lbs, but needs to be lean.
    Lots of protein and smart veggies and you'll be fine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    I keep my diet in check M-F but Saturday and Sunday always ruins me. We love to eat out on the weekend so to limit myself to one cheat meal on the weekend is tough.

It's also really hard to have any kind of social life if you cut out drinks or eating out.

A part of me questions if it's really worth it to have abs or if I'm good with just trucking along.
    Old 01-18-2019, 06:53 AM   #5796
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Re-rack your fucking weights, newbs!
    Old 01-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #5797
    kydmb99
    Jorts

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

What is your all’s go to exercise for each muscle group?
    kydmb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #5798
    fridge112887
    William Perry

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kydmb99 View Post
    What is your all’s go to exercise for each muscle group?
    Suitable lifts that will add the most mass across your entire body (in no particular order):

Squat
    Deadlift
    Press
    Bench
    Pull-ups (weighted if possible)
    Dips (weighted if possible)
    Row (such as Pendlay)

Supplemental:
    Weighted lunges
    Weighted back extensions
    Weighted abdominal work
    Weighted carries (Farmer walks)
    Old 01-19-2019, 01:32 PM   #5799
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

February first. Wish me luck.

Think I’m gonna get spine MRIs before then just to make sure I don’t hurt a preexisting problem I don’t know about. Otherwise gonna hit it regularly to get back to where I was
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2019, 05:12 PM   #5800
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

This is pure gold. Dom never disappoints

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5XUNkpuW7s
    Old 01-22-2019, 05:47 AM   #5801
    deadendstreet

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

A couple of questions.

I've been skinny-fat most my adult life. I'm currently 6'3 186, after dropping 15 pounds since November. I've been lifting since May, but honestly, IMO it doesn't really show other than some toned muscle. Any way, I still have some chest fat. Some people say it's most likely from lack of muscle and that I should start a lean bulk.

Anyway, any advice to building mass (full body) but especially in the chest area? Also, is there a workout plan you all suggest I use? I don't like working out 3 days a week, I'd prefer 4-5 days if possible. It just helps keep me focused.
    Old 01-22-2019, 06:33 AM   #5802
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by deadendstreet View Post
    A couple of questions.

I've been skinny-fat most my adult life. I'm currently 6'3 186, after dropping 15 pounds since November. I've been lifting since May, but honestly, IMO it doesn't really show other than some toned muscle. Any way, I still have some chest fat. Some people say it's most likely from lack of muscle and that I should start a lean bulk.

Anyway, any advice to building mass (full body) but especially in the chest area? Also, is there a workout plan you all suggest I use? I don't like working out 3 days a week, I'd prefer 4-5 days if possible. It just helps keep me focused.
    How many times a week are you training chest? What is your current chest regimen? How much protein are you eating every day?

1) Training: Bump up to training chest twice a week if you want to see improvements there. I've seen good improvement doing 4 exercises at 4-6 sets with a weight that I can only squeeze out 4-6 reps before it's too much.

2) I'm in the minority but I really dislike bench for chest. I still do it every couple of weeks as a strength check but I've found more success and enjoyment doing cable and dumbbell. Bench is really brutal on my shoulders so I stick with those two other options primarily. But I like to focus on upper chest one day a week and middle chest the other. So an upper chest day would look like:

Cable (low setting)
    Incline DB press
    Incline machine press
    Decline pushups

Middle chest:
    Cable (Middle setting - superman)
    Flat bench DB press
    Peck deck
    Pushups

3) Gotta eat that protein, man. Get you some Quest bars. You can find them at Kroger, GNC, etc. They're around 24g protein, low sugar and only 4 or 5 net carbs. Plus, they're delicious, especially if you heat them up for like 30 seconds.

Other than that you need to be cramming some lean proteins down your throat several times a day. Make you a hearty omelette for breakfast, have some chicken for lunch, protein bar for afternoon snack and a steak for dinner. Then eat some cheese and low carb veggies like asparagus, broccoli and Brussels sprouts.

There's always dirty bulking too, which is just eating tons of calories regardless of what it is. I did it for one season and put on some mass. Only bad thing about that is you have to do a cut at some point (What I'm currently doing) and a restricted diet isn't fun after you come off eating snickers and waffles.
    Old 01-22-2019, 06:51 AM   #5803
    deadendstreet

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    How many times a week are you training chest? What is your current chest regimen? How much protein are you eating every day?

1) Training: Bump up to training chest twice a week if you want to see improvements there. I've seen good improvement doing 4 exercises at 4-6 sets with a weight that I can only squeeze out 4-6 reps before it's too much.

2) I'm in the minority but I really dislike bench for chest. I still do it every couple of weeks as a strength check but I've found more success and enjoyment doing cable and dumbbell. Bench is really brutal on my shoulders so I stick with those two other options primarily. But I like to focus on upper chest one day a week and middle chest the other. So an upper chest day would look like:

Cable (low setting)
    Incline DB press
    Incline machine press
    Decline pushups

Middle chest:
    Cable (Middle setting - superman)
    Flat bench DB press
    Peck deck
    Pushups

3) Gotta eat that protein, man. Get you some Quest bars. You can find them at Kroger, GNC, etc. They're around 24g protein, low sugar and only 4 or 5 net carbs. Plus, they're delicious, especially if you heat them up for like 30 seconds.

Other than that you need to be cramming some lean proteins down your throat several times a day. Make you a hearty omelette for breakfast, have some chicken for lunch, protein bar for afternoon snack and a steak for dinner. Then eat some cheese and low carb veggies like asparagus, broccoli and Brussels sprouts.

There's always dirty bulking too, which is just eating tons of calories regardless of what it is. I did it for one season and put on some mass. Only bad thing about that is you have to do a cut at some point (What I'm currently doing) and a restricted diet isn't fun after you come off eating snickers and waffles.
    For awhile I was doing an upper body/Lower body split. So one week I'd work out upper 3X and lower 2X, then vice versa the following week.

The in November I switched to what I'm told is a bro split, though I was throwing in some chest exercises on a extra day a week so I was working it 2x per week.

I do about 200g of protein a day. I eat eggs, oatmeal, chicken, canned tuna, greek yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, protein bar and shake, etc. Is that enough protein or should I add more?

Thanks!
    Old 01-22-2019, 08:08 AM   #5804
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

any good blogs that outline a decent diet strategy? really looking in to dive in to this like i had 8 yeras ago, since i have nothign else going on in life
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 01-22-2019, 08:40 AM   #5805
    Brohan_Santana

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    any good blogs that outline a decent diet strategy? really looking in to dive in to this like i had 8 yeras ago, since i have nothign else going on in life
    I went Keto (low carb) and I love it

Dropped 22 pounds so far this year without too much effort

Love Keto because you can have cheese and meats - cutting out the carbs though is tough

I keep Carb intake to about 25 grams no more than 50 grams on a cheat day

Edit: Also have been fasting as well. Get all my calories in 8 hours. Eat between 12 P & 8 P. Lift and hour after I eat go to bed - do cardio in the AM.

This may seem a little extreme but it works for me. You can drink coffee while fasting in the AM & that keeps me full

Last edited by Brohan_Santana; 01-22-2019 at 08:43 AM.
    Brohan_Santana is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-22-2019, 08:46 AM   #5806
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    For awhile I was doing an upper body/Lower body split. So one week I'd work out upper 3X and lower 2X, then vice versa the following week.

The in November I switched to what I'm told is a bro split, though I was throwing in some chest exercises on a extra day a week so I was working it 2x per week.

I do about 200g of protein a day. I eat eggs, oatmeal, chicken, canned tuna, greek yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, protein bar and shake, etc. Is that enough protein or should I add more?

Thanks!
    Your diet definitely sounds good. If you're still not bulking up some after doing that you may want to add more to it, like one more scoop of oats, another couple of eggs, 12 oz instead of 8 oz of chicken, etc.
    Old 01-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #5807
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

i'll have to check it out. i'm 30 pounds under where i was in college. % fat shot up a tad, but i'm still underweight for 6' (~155lbs). mostly looking to supplement running, but I need to find a nice balance because i want to become stronger overall. will keep you apprised.

ordering my myofusion tonight. have some new flavors since i last bought

will hvae to see how their carbs are for keto though
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 01-22-2019, 11:47 AM   #5808
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    A couple of questions.

I like to do two heavy compounds (squat/bench one day, deadlift/press the next) with a day inbetween - Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday. I'll add a few additional supplemental lifts that pertain to that day and stick to 2-3 sets and slightly higher repetitions. For main lifts, I prefer 5 sets of 3. I tried 3 sets of 5 but I've personally experienced better results the way I'm doing it. To gain strength, you have to progressively add weight to the bar - hence why the barbell lifts are superior. Did anyone ever get big and brauny using the cables? No. If you want to full out your chest, get strong on the barbell bench. Once you progress, add bodyweight dips. Once you progress with those, start adding weight with a weight belt. Don't get fancy doing every lift under the sun because you won't fully recover and won't master getting strong at one particular lift.

Last edited by fridge112887; 01-22-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    fridge112887 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-24-2019, 06:07 AM   #5809
    dmbredsox36
    'celebrate we will'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana View Post
    I went Keto (low carb) and I love it

Dropped 22 pounds so far this year without too much effort

Love Keto because you can have cheese and meats - cutting out the carbs though is tough

I keep Carb intake to about 25 grams no more than 50 grams on a cheat day

Edit: Also have been fasting as well. Get all my calories in 8 hours. Eat between 12 P & 8 P. Lift and hour after I eat go to bed - do cardio in the AM.

This may seem a little extreme but it works for me. You can drink coffee while fasting in the AM & that keeps me full
    I'm currently on short term IR with a sprained shoulder from a snowboarding fall, so my routine is all out of whack, but I'm interested to hear more about your experience going keto. I've done IF, as it works right into my work/gym schedule, but I've found cutting carbs for extended days to be difficult. I'm also a relatively picky eater, so that challenge has always been what the heck am I going to eat. Lol, just wondering if you have any additional thoughts/tips to share. Thanks.
    dmbredsox36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-24-2019, 08:45 AM   #5810
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbredsox36 View Post
    I'm currently on short term IR with a sprained shoulder from a snowboarding fall, so my routine is all out of whack, but I'm interested to hear more about your experience going keto. I've done IF, as it works right into my work/gym schedule, but I've found cutting carbs for extended days to be difficult. I'm also a relatively picky eater, so that challenge has always been what the heck am I going to eat. Lol, just wondering if you have any additional thoughts/tips to share. Thanks.
    I’ve gone keto the past four months or so as well, it can definitely take some getting used to but once you do it’s really not too bad. It’s alright to treat yourself to some pizza every now and then to satisfy your craving, it won’t kill you. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. I’ve shed about twenty pounds the past few months just from cutting out carbs.

I would caution against overloading with fats just for its own sake in order to get into keto. I’ve found the most success in less carbs, not more fat. I still eat a lot of protein so I’m probably not truly in ketosis at all times, it’s more of a lifestyle adjustment.
    Old 12-04-2019, 04:30 AM   #5811
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

through 5 weeks of lifting. gonna go for 2 more months then add more exercises to each day's routine. figured not overwhelm myself, which would deter me from the lifestyle change of going. i just need to figure out how to work cardio in a bit more, but that will be in the second phase i think (months 3-6). feeling good physically. hard to believe i used to incline about 225. now i can barely do 40# dumbbells

biggest hindrance is diet given my crazy work schedule. i do a lot of salads with a protein, but the rest of my day is meh in terms of good macros
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 01-02-2020, 12:27 PM   #5812
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

happy 2020. anyone back into it? been goign since end of October. Can't wait til the gym clears out a lil
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 01-02-2020, 12:48 PM   #5813
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

I went Monday and Tuesday, the place was so empty. It was glorious. I plan on going back in tomorrow morning but have a feeling it won't be real bad until this upcoming Monday.

The past two years, the resolutioners have stuck around pretty consistently until late March/mid-April. I guess they start falling off around spring break time.

Part of me is really glad they're there. They help keep my monthly fee low and they're trying to better themselves. But damn if they don't take up equipment not knowing what the hell they're doing.
    Old 01-03-2020, 04:07 PM   #5814
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Seems the resolutioners are already out in full force. Went to the gym around noon today and it was slammed. It was like 3-4x the normal amount of people.
    Old 01-04-2020, 11:55 AM   #5815
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Seems the resolutioners are already out in full force. Went to the gym around noon today and it was slammed. It was like 3-4x the normal amount of people.
    They may take up more space but we shouldn't fault resolutioners for trying to improve their quality of life. We need to be encouraging because we were those same people at one point.
    Old 01-04-2020, 03:04 PM   #5816
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fridge112887 View Post
    They may take up more space but we shouldn't fault resolutioners for trying to improve their quality of life. We need to be encouraging because we were those same people at one point.
    I'm happy they're there and wanting to better themselves. I'm just salty because the gym is busier and I don't have as easy of access to equipment. I'm fine with them being there, I just hope they find a better time of the day to fit their workouts
    Old 01-04-2020, 09:04 PM   #5817
    drakan
    Drums!

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fridge112887 View Post
    Weighted carries (Farmer walks)
    Love those.
    drakan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2020, 09:00 AM   #5818
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Saw a girl wearing a garbage bag at the gym yesterday....turns out, it's a thing: https://www.fivebelow.com/series-8-f...SABEgKBrvD_BwE
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2020, 09:08 AM   #5819
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    Saw a girl wearing a garbage bag at the gym yesterday....turns out, it's a thing: https://www.fivebelow.com/series-8-f...SABEgKBrvD_BwE
    Wrestlers used to wear them at my high school to shed water weight right before a match. Maybe that girl was a figure competitor trying to do the same before her show.....?
    Old 02-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #5820
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

What's everyone's back workout? I'm trying to strengthen my upper and lower back as well as core, but I'm limited in what to do with my back other than lat pulls and push ups
    Foreverford05 is offline   Reply With Quote