Cord-Cutting (TV Revolution) - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 10-08-2015, 11:14 AM   #91
Arby
We Have The Meats

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Cord-Cutting (TV Revolution)

Ran into a similar issue with Uverse. I want to cut the cord completely (will likely end up doing so). They offer internet only for like 65. They offer internet (same speed), local TV, and HBO Go for a year for I think 72.

They really want you to bundle and get TV too
Arby is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-08-2015, 11:23 AM   #92
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arby View Post
    Ran into a similar issue with Uverse. I want to cut the cord completely (will likely end up doing so). They offer internet only for like 65. They offer internet (same speed), local TV, and HBO Go for a year for I think 72.

They really want you to bundle and get TV too
    Yeah they are offering an absolutely crazy deal it seems. I get turbo internet + the basic cable package (they call it U-Family) +DVR for $71 (and that's including taxes). Plus they threw in HD free for the year (which is normally $10 a month).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #93
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 View Post
    Yeah they are offering an absolutely crazy deal it seems. I get turbo internet + the basic cable package (they call it U-Family) +DVR for $71 (and that's including taxes). Plus they threw in HD free for the year (which is normally $10 a month).
    That is a good deal. Depends how serious you are about cord cutting.

If its about the principal, just get internet.
    If its about saving money, grab that deal. Thats solid
    Old 10-09-2015, 08:30 AM   #94
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

1. It's becoming clear that the cable/dish companies are hurting from cord cutting. The deals they have been offering lately are better than they were a couple years ago.

2. Don't forget to think about rate increase after the "introductory offer" pricing. They want you to forget about that after the offer period and just accept the increased rate because it's easier than cancelling. So if you want the deal, then take it, but don't get complacent about rate increases later.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-09-2015, 09:22 AM   #95
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    1. It's becoming clear that the cable/dish companies are hurting from cord cutting. The deals they have been offering lately are better than they were a couple years ago.

2. Don't forget to think about rate increase after the "introductory offer" pricing. They want you to forget about that after the offer period and just accept the increased rate because it's easier than cancelling. So if you want the deal, then take it, but don't get complacent about rate increases later.
    I definitely agree with you. During my initial conversation, she quoted me a price, and I said "no, that's too high" and then she said "okay let me try and re-work some numbers" and then she gave me the same package much cheaper and I said yes.

And yeah, if they try to jack it up next year, then I'd be out.

Quote:
    Old 10-09-2015, 09:27 AM   #96
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

My Tour Central Stats

That is the one advantage of being locked into 12 months. The prices aren't going to move in that time period. Nice to not have to worry about what your Comcast bill will be on a monthly basis
    Old 10-12-2015, 08:24 AM   #97
    jnovo22

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I pay $65/month for comcast cable, mid-range plan (25mb down I think), plus I have my own modem.

$8.00/month for hulu plus (which is now the Ad+ Verson).

$99/year for Amazon Prime

Amazon Basics HD Antenna ( I get about 35 channels) split through the whole house

Just got the new Amazon Fire TV, which is essentially replacing my 360 as the entertainment hub. Having all the games, apps, and movies at my fingertips is quite awesome.

I'll buy the season pass for shows I want to watch ($35 for AHS:Hotel).

Comes out to about $80/month, vs the $170/month i used to pay with DirecTV. I've been essentially cord free for over a year now, and I won't look back.

Now I watch far less TV, and spend the time doing other things I enjoy, or finding new things I never knew I would enjoy.
    jnovo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #98
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnovo22 View Post
    I pay $65/month for comcast cable, mid-range plan (25mb down I think), plus I have my own modem.

Amazon Basics HD Antenna ( I get about 35 channels) split through the whole house

Just got the new Amazon Fire TV, which is essentially replacing my 360 as the entertainment hub. Having all the games, apps, and movies at my fingertips is quite awesome.

Comes out to about $80/month, vs the $170/month i used to pay with DirecTV. I've been essentially cord free for over a year now, and I won't look back.

Now I watch far less TV, and spend the time doing other things I enjoy, or finding new things I never knew I would enjoy.
    Going to look in to the bolded when I cancel my cable next month after my promo offer expires. Seems like a decent platform to get all the content one needs (and being a Prime member).
    Old 10-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #99
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnovo22 View Post

To the bold, that's been my favorite part of cutting the cord. Now I only watch what I really want to watch and the rest of the time I spend doing other things I enjoy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nick@Night View Post
    Going to look in to the bolded when I cancel my cable next month after my promo offer expires. Seems like a decent platform to get all the content one needs (and being a Prime member).
    I have two Amazon Fire TV's and they are great.
    Old 11-27-2015, 09:16 AM   #100
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Thinking about cutting the cord because a co-worker has said a lot of good things about Sling TV and how he hasn't really run into many problems with it. I have a PS4, but it doesn't support the Sling app, so I'd probably be in the market for a Roku or something. However, I was reading that if you have a Prime membership, something like the Fire TV stick might be the best option. Anyone use that?

If I got the Fire TV stick, Sling, wireless digital antenna, and then resubscribed to Netflix, I should be good to see most of the stuff I want, right? Is there a benefit of having Hulu, as well? I think I've heard they get new shows right away? Kind of a novice when it comes to these types of services, so any input would be great.
    Old 11-27-2015, 09:55 AM   #101
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

My Tour Central Stats

I havnt had much experience with Sling Tv. I've tried it out on my iPad and Chromecast I believe

From what I know, it's not good at all. Terrible load times, crashes, just annoying

I currently have it and it's basically a $20 dollar a month watchESPn charge
    Old 11-27-2015, 02:26 PM   #102
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I havnt had much experience with Sling Tv. I've tried it out on my iPad and Chromecast I believe

From what I know, it's not good at all. Terrible load times, crashes, just annoying

I currently have it and it's basically a $20 dollar a month watchESPn charge
    Interesting.

I don't have a ton of experience viewing it, but the one time we watched a MNF game at my co-workers house, it worked pretty flawlessly (high-speed internet and Xbox One app). I'd really like to cut the cord, but ESPN and ESPN2 are a definite must for me. I watch way too many sporting events.
    Old 11-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #103
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

My Tour Central Stats

It comes with watchespn which does work well
    Old 11-27-2015, 02:51 PM   #104
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

My Tour Central Stats

The firestick is amazing, but only if you can use someone's login for stuff haha. I use my parents directv login to watch ESPN, and have access to HBOGO, Showtime Anytime, etc so I'm basically covered. But I probably wouldn't get sling tv - you can't DVR anything.

Quote:
    Old 11-27-2015, 02:59 PM   #105
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

The DVR thing doesn't really seem to bother me. I rarely record stuff with cable, as is.
    Old 11-27-2015, 05:27 PM   #106
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Been thinking about doing this. Only thing I ever watch is NBA, more specifically the Memphis Grizzlies. I live not too far from Memphis so I get the local Fox Sports channel that broadcasts them. As of right now, it's literally the only reason I'm keeping my cable. Is there a way to do an NBA package without a cable provider?
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-28-2015, 08:28 AM   #107
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Been thinking about doing this. Only thing I ever watch is NBA, more specifically the Memphis Grizzlies. I live not too far from Memphis so I get the local Fox Sports channel that broadcasts them. As of right now, it's literally the only reason I'm keeping my cable. Is there a way to do an NBA package without a cable provider?

You can get NBA League Pass, but if you just watch Memphis it may not be worth it.

I do know that all of the Bucks games are streamed on the FSN channel here. Not sure if you need a cable login or not.
    Old 11-29-2015, 09:19 AM   #108
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    You can get NBA League Pass, but if you just watch Memphis it may not be worth it.

I do know that all of the Bucks games are streamed on the FSN channel here. Not sure if you need a cable login or not.
    I thought you needed a cable provider to League Pass?
    Old 11-29-2015, 11:04 AM   #109
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thinking about cutting the cord because a co-worker has said a lot of good things about Sling TV and how he hasn't really run into many problems with it. I have a PS4, but it doesn't support the Sling app, so I'd probably be in the market for a Roku or something. However, I was reading that if you have a Prime membership, something like the Fire TV stick might be the best option. Anyone use that?

If I got the Fire TV stick, Sling, wireless digital antenna, and then resubscribed to Netflix, I should be good to see most of the stuff I want, right? Is there a benefit of having Hulu, as well? I think I've heard they get new shows right away? Kind of a novice when it comes to these types of services, so any input would be great.
    I have Sling TV and it's great for ESPN, but also for AMC. I watch The Walking Dead and their other shows regularly. There are times where it locks up, but it's a minority of the time and I have to believe they will get better with time.

Hulu is good for watching new shows the next day after they air for just about everything on ABC, Comedy Central, NBC, CW, and many others. It doesn't have CBS shows though since CBS has their own streaming service (annoying).
    Old 11-29-2015, 03:42 PM   #110
    dmbongreyst

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    I thought you needed a cable provider to League Pass?
    There is the streaming option but that is only for out of market games. If you're in the Grizzlies market you'd have to use a cable/satellite provider.
    Old 11-30-2015, 07:41 AM   #111
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbongreyst View Post
    There is the streaming option but that is only for out of market games. If you're in the Grizzlies market you'd have to use a cable/satellite provider.
    I'm about 2 hours away so I might could pass for being out of market. I'll have to look into it.
    Old 11-30-2015, 09:50 AM   #112
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    I have Sling TV and it's great for ESPN, but also for AMC. I watch The Walking Dead and their other shows regularly. There are times where it locks up, but it's a minority of the time and I have to believe they will get better with time.

Hulu is good for watching new shows the next day after they air for just about everything on ABC, Comedy Central, NBC, CW, and many others. It doesn't have CBS shows though since CBS has their own streaming service (annoying).
    What kind of setup do you have?

Do you think a wireless digital antenna, Sling, Amazon Prime, and Netflix would cover most of my bases? I guess I could add in Hulu, but I'd have to see where I would be at with cost at that point. I'd not sure how much just cable internet is with Charter.
    Old 11-30-2015, 09:54 AM   #113
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Do you think a wireless digital antenna, Sling, Amazon Prime, and Netflix would cover most of my bases? I guess I could add in Hulu, but I'd have to see where I would be at with cost at that point. I'd not sure how much just cable internet is with Charter.
    Depends on what you like to watch, but that is basically what I have and Im fine.

Only sports I NEED to watch are my MSU Spartans which ESPN or broadcast covers most of those needs. I dont have BTN so any B-ball games there I can listen on the radio or go to the bar down the street.

Really hope ESPN does their own streaming service soon, cause thats the only thing I use Sling for. 20 bucks a month is steep for WatchESPN but oh well.
    Old 11-30-2015, 10:03 AM   #114
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

It's $60/mo not bundled with anything. I'm having my Charter cable turned off today and will be left with just the internet, and that's the price they told me would remain on the account. A little steep, but it's 60 MB speed, which isn't too shabby.
    Old 11-30-2015, 10:09 AM   #115
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Depends on what you like to watch, but that is basically what I have and Im fine.

Only sports I NEED to watch are my MSU Spartans which ESPN or broadcast covers most of those needs. I dont have BTN so any B-ball games there I can listen on the radio or go to the bar down the street.

Really hope ESPN does their own streaming service soon, cause thats the only thing I use Sling for. 20 bucks a month is steep for WatchESPN but oh well.

This is what is keeping me from seriously considering cutting the cord. I don't see any way that Allison and I spending more time in bars watching the games I want to watch will end up costing me less than I'm spending on DirecTV.
    Old 11-30-2015, 10:17 AM   #116
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    This is what is keeping me from seriously considering cutting the cord. I don't see any way that Allison and I spending more time in bars watching the games I want to watch will end up costing me less than I'm spending on DirecTV.
    Yea, you definitely have to fact in the cost there.

There are a number of games I'd go to the bar with friends anyway for. But if I NEEDED to watch by myself and didnt get the station I'll go to the bar. Anticipate getting two beers probably, but that would factor in to the 'savings' from cutting.

You cant do that often at all - otherwise you end up spending more
    Old 11-30-2015, 12:58 PM   #117
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

What do you mean in terms of setup? Like equipment or services I use?

I have an antenna, Sling TV, Amazon Prime (for free shipping mostly, rarely ever use for streaming for some reason), Netflix, HBO Now, and Hulu. That covers everything I want except local sports, but over the last 22 months I've learned to live with it and listen to them on the radio.

Honestly, with all those services it's almost overkill. I find myself not having enough time to watch all the things I want to watch on those services because there is just so much good stuff out there now. We now live in a world where the amount of good content far outlasts our available time to watch it. Talk about 1st world problems!
    Old 12-01-2015, 07:50 AM   #118
    dmbredsox36
    'celebrate we will'

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Looking to continue our own trend and get rid of our basic cable package (TWC)....any suggestions out there for reasonably priced indoor digital antennas? I don't need anything special, only use basic cable to get local NBC, CBS and ABC, and we watch a minimal amount of 'live' TV as it is.

Currently have Netflix and Hulu+ and our AppleTV - though I'm seriously considering adding one or a combo of SlingTV (mainly for ESPN, losing a friend's login in about 2 weeks) or either Showtime/HBO apps.
    dmbredsox36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-01-2015, 08:40 AM   #119
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

My Tour Central Stats

I called Charter two weeks ago to request cancellation and it keeps getting delayed. I've called four times since to ask when it's going to get shut off so they can update my bill, and it keeps being pushed in to the future. I asked the girl on the phone this morning why, and she couldn't give me an answer. This is a gong show. I feel like they do it on purpose and just hope I eventually give up and will keep the TV package.
    Old 12-01-2015, 09:04 AM   #120
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nick@Night View Post
    I called Charter two weeks ago to request cancellation and it keeps getting delayed. I've called four times since to ask when it's going to get shut off so they can update my bill, and it keeps being pushed in to the future. I asked the girl on the phone this morning why, and she couldn't give me an answer. This is a gong show. I feel like they do it on purpose and just hope I eventually give up and will keep the TV package.
    They can cancel asap. Dont put up with that shit.

Wouldn't hurt to record your calls in case they are needed later.