Rooftop - Page 8 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #211
coolhotwaves
is classic

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Rooftop

This is the one song that is growing on me. Didn't like it at all on the first few listens. Starting to sound acceptable now. Love dave's vocals. The chorus is awful...and not in the fun way like I Did It. It's awful in a nickelback kind of way.
coolhotwaves is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #212
    The2SteppingPig

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolhotwaves View Post
    This is the one song that is growing on me. Didn't like it at all on the first few listens. Starting to sound acceptable now. Love dave's vocals. The chorus is awful...and not in the fun way like I Did It. It's awful in a nickelback kind of way.
    I'm just going to stop you right there. That is an unacceptable comparison.

"I want you, to tell me that you love me" is infinitely better than:

"If everyone care than no one would die."

"Cause we all just wanna be big rockstars and live in hilltop houses driving fifteen cars"

or any of the trash the band known as Nickleback has produced.
    Old 09-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #213
    TrippinNancies1
    Slippin slow away...

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Rooftop is fantastic, imo.
    Old 09-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #214
    atlantic
    i heard you liek mudkip

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Its growing me too, but I like it a lot now, instead of just a little. I love the lyrics, they're not mind blowing, but they are really good. I do think the "Rooftop" has something to do with them playing on top of the warehouse.
    Shine Your Light While You Got One
    atlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #215
    AllifromOhio
    Formerly known as

Shows Seen: 97

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

This song is really growing on me.
    AllifromOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #216
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I really like this song! It's like a mix btwn fool to think and so right! Can't wait to see this one live! I wish they woulda busted it out at the Gorge!!
    Old 09-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #217
    bustedstuff88

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The2SteppingPig View Post
    I'm just going to stop you right there. That is an unacceptable comparison.

"I want you, to tell me that you love me" is infinitely better than:

"If everyone care than no one would die."

"Cause we all just wanna be big rockstars and live in hilltop houses driving fifteen cars"

or any of the trash the band known as Nickleback has produced.
    Yeah ive seen more attractive things come out of my asshole than the shit nickelback puts out.

2022: Alpine x2, Gorge x3, Minneapolis
    bustedstuff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #218
    SmoothG

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

This is my least favourite song on the album. Basically listenable to me. Painful to listen to.
    SmoothG is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #219
    tball123

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Was one of my least favorite on my first listens. Now it's one of my favorites.
    Old 10-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #220
    Bmwm3oz

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Listened to this cd about 40 times so far. This is my least favorite song on the album. What in gods name is Dave talking about in the lyrics?

Specifically the part "if I was a winner, I'd cut the cards and deal them" and the rest of this verse. Who the hell is he talkin about? First it's about disappearing with someone. Then it's about finding a sweet spot? Then it's actually a dude?

Anyone know what the intention was here?
    Bmwm3oz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #221
    lafleurjp
    VisityourMommy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz View Post
    Listened to this cd about 40 times so far. This is my least favorite song on the album. What in gods name is Dave talking about in the lyrics?

Specifically the part "if I was a winner, I'd cut the cards and deal them" and the rest of this verse. Who the hell is he talkin about? First it's about disappearing with someone. Then it's about finding a sweet spot? Then it's actually a dude?

Anyone know what the intention was here?
    there is no doubt that he's talking about himself and his relationship to music, dmb, and dmb's fans in this song. there are just far too many coincidental interviews and snipits from dave. we know that he struggles with his own relevancy... certainly the rolling stone interview verified those things when he talked whether dmb would keep being relevant and continue to make music (of course the Billboard article was much more optomistic... even the 14 segments leading up to AFTW Dave referenced his relevancy... the first verse:
    "Standing on the rooftop Theres all these people watching Hard to find the words when You've got so far to fall Just trying to keep a secret And never tell a sole no no And take another drink so I can lose control" - this to me is his active experience in performing.... i think it represents his insecurity... we all want to feel relevant, we all want to feel like we're doing something transcental.. to a certain extent, i'm sure dave wants to feel like he still has something to offer, still has a story to tell, has not gotten too comfortable. the chorus is a representation of human nature to me... you can over analyze, you can fear, you stumble along but perhaps the most basic of desires is that we want to feel loved, we want to fit in... "i want you to want me" is just an articulation of a basic human need... "i make music for a living and i want you to like it." the second verse is an extension of the first: "If I was a winner I'd cut the cards and deal them And buy a great big house where We could disappear But you find yourself a sweet spot People want to get some You're just another dead man Trying to fool the world." This is more of an abstract analysis of the same issue - dave has a compulsion to make music and to share music but he deals with insecurity and he's clearly an introspective individual. I think he's saying here that it would be easy to escape into obscurity with little effort but that he craves the spot light and the show to a certain extent... he has found his "sweet spot" but in the all too familiar metaphor, he's just a dead man trying to fool the world - he's not as good as any of us may think he is, he's just a regular guy that has managed to snow us all.

i don't know what you all think about this but this song is, in my humble opinion, clearly about his relationship to his music and his fans. thoughts?

lafleurjp is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #222
    Panther41
    Since 1995

My Tour Central Stats

Both "Rooftop"--and the following song, "Snow Outside"--have very suspicious lyrics. They sound like the words of someone who has got himself a secret lover that nobody else knows about.

Not judging. Just saying, I think a case could be made that he's singing from that point of view. But Dave sings from the perspective of characters at least as often as he sings from his own experience, so there's no reason to think he's up to anything.
    Panther41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #223
    ProudMonkey65
    Z. Sprayberry

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

love this tune.. and when I think of the guitar riff and what it reminds me of, rhyme and reason & get in line come to mind.
    "We were playing at this festival, and Dylan was playing at the festival. Then Dylan came up to me after he finished his set and we were about to go on, and he said, "Are you gonna play Watchtower?" and I said, no no I'm not gonna play 'cause your here. And he said, "well I didn't play it 'cause your here!." -DM 05.15.2006
    ProudMonkey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #224
    aoeiifreak

My Tour Central Stats

Can't believe so many people on ants hate this song...honestly my favorite song on this record beside Snow Outside. *shrugs*
    aoeiifreak is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #225
    berman1125

Shows Seen: 84

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panther41 View Post
    Both "Rooftop"--and the following song, "Snow Outside"--have very suspicious lyrics. They sound like the words of someone who has got himself a secret lover that nobody else knows about.

Not judging. Just saying, I think a case could be made that he's singing from that point of view. But Dave sings from the perspective of characters at least as often as he sings from his own experience, so there's no reason to think he's up to anything.
    oh im sure he is up to something
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zrroot View Post
    Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998
    berman1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #226
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panther41 View Post

i really don't think Snow Outside is suspicious at all. its pretty straight forward about being in love and wanting to spend the rest of your life with that person. i think the whole "secret garden" thing is that feeling of not wanting to share. you just want that person all to yourself. not that you don't like their friends and family and don't want your love to be with them, but you just don't want to be away from the one you care about. you just want them by your side at all times.

like its been mentioned that Rooftop is the characters of Say Goodbye years later, to me, Snow Outside is the characters from Crush years later. Crush was the budding romance, Snow Outside is the love for that person after the relationship has gotten to the point where they're thinking about spending the rest of their lives together.
    Old 10-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #227
    RolandsThinny
    "Pamcakes!!"

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

I still feel the vocal bridge is ripped from Cigarette Lit....
    Old 10-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #228
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

My Tour Central Stats

This has become one of my favourites on the album. Although I'm really not to keen on the I Did It-sounding chorus, the amazing bridge from @ 2:05 through to Tim's solo over the excellent verse riff just grabs me every time, it sounds FANTASTIC.

Helps that Snow Outside follows this too as it's fantastic, but yeah I've really fallen in love with Rooftop, great track.

I gave you the best of me...
    Old 10-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #229
    Flip36
    FIGHT OWEN FIGHT!

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I like it a lot! [insert Jim Carey Face]
    Stop comparing albums. Every album is different. Thats the point of making a new album, to create something new and different. To evolve. just sit back relax and go with the flow.
    [{46}] show's since [{'99}]!
    Flip36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #230
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

This is my least favorite on the album, by far. Just feels completely disjointed, and the chorus is horrible.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #231
    abbotter88

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

First time I listened to this, my gf commented, " this sounds like kid rock," during the chorus.

I was inclined to agree.
    abbotter88 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #232
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

My Tour Central Stats

I think the general consensus is the chorus is the biggest stumbling block to really liking this song.
    Old 10-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #233
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    I think the general consensus is the chorus is the biggest stumbling block to really liking this song.

Same can be said about Gaucho...
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #234
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I really like this songs and the horns in the outro really are on point. And its hard to argue that it's not catchy as hell. Really surprised by so much dislike for this song.
    Old 10-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #235
    ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I could see this one turning into a monster live similar to So Damn Lucky and You Might Die Trying with the chorus repeated over and over through a building jam.

Would be sick.
    Old 10-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #236
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvol View Post
    I could see this one turning into a monster live similar to So Damn Lucky and You Might Die Trying with the chorus repeated over and over through a building jam.

Would be sick.
    Sounds good to me !!!
    Old 10-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #237
    berman1125

Shows Seen: 84

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheStone91 View Post
    Same can be said about Gaucho...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    terrible chorus's on other wise very good songs
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zrroot View Post
    Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998
    berman1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #238
    holdyouclose
    ==============

Shows Seen: 56

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cryfreedom09 View Post
    I really like this songs and the horns in the outro really are on point. And its hard to argue that it's not catchy as hell. Really surprised by so much dislike for this song.
    Feel the same way....I really dig this tune, love blasting it in the car....
    holdyouclose is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #239
    dpduke5173

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Love the little change in the riff after the bridge when they do the little ascending single note line. Hope they extend that portion for a Jeff and rashawn duel.
    dpduke5173 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #240
    kbail1230
    Carry that weight

Shows Seen: 113

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

This song finally "hit me" today. Wow!! Very strong tune here.