what happened to Boyd? he's been MIA for a while - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-20-2021, 12:54 PM   #1
#40BigEyedFish

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

what happened to Boyd? he's been MIA for a while

anyone know if everything is ok with Boyd? he's been MIA on social media for a good 8+ months now and before then he was really acting strangely. i know he sold his house in c'ville, did a small tour with a wannabe dave and thats it.

i know he's out of the band / family....and rightfully so for what he did. there was always this strange undercurrent on the boards about stories about him before this all blew up.

to me dmb's music was always how boyd and roi played off and with one another, and while i enjoy the band ever evolving (and rashawn has been a great new force in the band) i miss those 2's sound together
#40BigEyedFish is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-20-2021, 01:10 PM   #2
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: what happened to Boyd? he's been MIA for a while

I was wondering the same thing recently. What’s the latest on his legal battle?

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2021, 01:19 PM   #3
    madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
    I was wondering the same thing recently. What’s the latest on his legal battle?
    It was settled in court. https://roanoke.com/lawsuit-against-...1686b1d1e.html

Last edited by madhatter; 08-20-2021 at 01:21 PM.
    madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2021, 01:22 PM   #4
    HonestDenver1

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by #40BigEyedFish View Post
    anyone know if everything is ok with Boyd? he's been MIA on social media for a good 8+ months now and before then he was really acting strangely. i know he sold his house in c'ville, did a small tour with a wannabe dave and thats it.

i know he's out of the band / family....and rightfully so for what he did. there was always this strange undercurrent on the boards about stories about him before this all blew up.

to me dmb's music was always how boyd and roi played off and with one another, and while i enjoy the band ever evolving (and rashawn has been a great new force in the band) i miss those 2's sound together
    Hopefully getting healthy.. social media use at that level is a tell tale sign of mental health issues.. similar to Ryan Adam’s.. certain personalities and types of mental health should really be careful on social media.. I’m one and I know when I’m over using it…
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2021, 02:26 PM   #5
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I've been wondering about him as well. The whole situation was such a stain in this band's history. If you told me 20 years ago this is what DMB would look like now I never would have believed you. One of the reasons I loved this band so much was that they presented themselves as pretty regular guys that had their shit together. It was disappointing to find out after all these years the band was quite a bit more dysfunctional than maybe anyone thought. But hey, people are people.

Sometimes I wonder if there's any a chance at a redemption story and Boyd walks out on stage with DMB again, or maybe a guest spot one day. But as I recall some of the "in the know" folk have said, not a chance. Some pretty serious shit must have gone down for them to completely sever any ties with him.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2021, 02:36 PM   #6
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    I've been wondering about him as well. The whole situation was such a stain in this band's history. If you told me 20 years ago this is what DMB would look like now I never would have believed you. One of the reasons I loved this band so much was that they presented themselves as pretty regular guys that had their shit together. It was disappointing to find out after all these years the band was quite a bit more dysfunctional than maybe anyone thought. But hey, people are people.

Sometimes I wonder if there's any a chance at a redemption story and Boyd walks out on stage with DMB again, or maybe a guest spot one day. But as I recall some of the "in the know" folk have said, not a chance. Some pretty serious shit must have gone down for them to completely sever any ties with him.
    Well, there was something going on in '07, thestand nearly came on here to announce the band was breaking up in '07, so we know it hasn't always been peachy behind the scenes.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2021, 02:49 PM   #7
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    somehow I completely missed that Thanks!

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2021, 02:57 PM   #8
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

That's kind of what I was saying though. There were some rumors, and I'm not so naive to think drugs don't creep into any band, as well as infighting. But overall the band presented themselves pretty well, which kudos to them on keeping shit behind closed doors. It wasn't until the last few years that Dave has talked a little more openly about the turmoil within the band. He's talked about Roi being a difficult friend and drug problem, and then obviously things got really weird when Boyd left for Narnia and couldn't play his instrument anymore. Though, even in 2007 with those rumors I never would have imagined 2021 DMB.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2021, 02:57 PM   #9
    joshg

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Can you imagine waking up every day knowing that you blew your opportunity to be a part of the band as a founding member?
    joshg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2021, 03:03 PM   #10
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

I'd like to hear Boyd's side of the story, like why he didn't appear to try and improve by hiring a violin instructor to go on tour with him. The other band members obviously put in the work to get better.
    Old 08-20-2021, 03:11 PM   #11
    joshg

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    I'd like to hear Boyd's side of the story, like why he didn't appear to try and improve by hiring a violin instructor to go on tour with him. The other band members obviously put in the work to get better.
    How would you find the time to work with a violin instructor when your time is monopolized by working on your abs, lats, and traps?
    Old 08-20-2021, 03:12 PM   #12
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

See, that's it, he didn't prioritize DMB.
    Old 08-20-2021, 03:15 PM   #13
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

I can't believe so many people here gave him a pass so long as he prancercised on stage while making a mockery of what a violin can sound in a rock band.
    Old 08-20-2021, 03:16 PM   #14
    dmbdreamingtree
    be the light

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's kind of what I was saying though. There were some rumors, and I'm not so naive to think drugs don't creep into any band, as well as infighting. But overall the band presented themselves pretty well, which kudos to them on keeping shit behind closed doors. It wasn't until the last few years that Dave has talked a little more openly about the turmoil within the band. He's talked about Roi being a difficult friend and drug problem, and then obviously things got really weird when Boyd left for Narnia and couldn't play his instrument anymore. Though, even in 2007 with those rumors I never would have imagined 2021 DMB.
    can you point to where dave talked about roi and drugs? would like to read
    You're living in an imaginary mental prison of your own creation.
    dmbdreamingtree is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2021, 03:40 PM   #15
    joshg

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbdreamingtree View Post
    can you point to where dave talked about roi and drugs? would like to read
    Howard Stern interview.
    Old 08-20-2021, 03:42 PM   #16
    joshg

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

As fans, we should take some of the onus as far as being so clueless. Starting in 1998, the guy showed up on stage 3% body fat and pubes sprouting from leather chaps. We all thought nothing of it.
    Old 08-20-2021, 04:13 PM   #17
    dmbdreamingtree
    be the light

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshg View Post
    Howard Stern interview.
    thank you. never knew about roi and drugs. I wonder to what extend he used them beyond maybe weed. he was my hero growing up. miss the guy.
    Old 08-20-2021, 04:18 PM   #18
    dmbdreamingtree
    be the light

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    As fans, we should take some of the onus as far as being so clueless. Starting in 1998, the guy showed up on stage 3% body fat and pubes sprouting from leather chaps. We all thought nothing of it.
    tbh, i was always a little curious. he was def the most eccentric - and then the group hugs after shows started and narnia, etc - my radar was going off. of course nothing wrong w a guy giving out hugs, but between the hugs, financial issues (https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...zarre-lawsuit/), fecal matter into the chicago river, etc, something always seemed off (to me). while many around me were in love with boyd and his energy, i was focused almost exclusively on roi.

I truly hope everything works out for boyd.

Last edited by dmbdreamingtree; 08-20-2021 at 04:19 PM.
    Old 08-20-2021, 04:54 PM   #19
    42km
    Drive In : Dive Out

Shows Seen: 141

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

FTWII, I was wondering the same thing earlier today, so I googled him and an article published today showed up, in a foreign language that I have not yet gotten around to translate:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.and...d-tinsley/amp/

Europe 2024: Milan, Florence
    Summer 2024: Alpine x 2, SPAC x 2, Gorge x 3

Last edited by 42km; 08-20-2021 at 04:55 PM.
    42km is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2021, 05:11 PM   #20
    dmbdreamingtree
    be the light

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 42km View Post
    FTWII, I was wondering the same thing earlier today, so I googled him and an article published today showed up, in a foreign language that I have not yet gotten around to translate:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.and...d-tinsley/amp/
    Looks like a biography in German
    Old 08-20-2021, 05:47 PM   #21
    8nalive

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I'm not interested in what anyone on this site thinks about Boyd or what the Dave Matthews Band thinks about Boyd. What does that matter to me? I want to know how Boyd is doing as a human being as others have previously mentioned. It has to be extremely difficult to say the least to be a part of one of the premier bands on the planet and then not
    8nalive is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2021, 06:04 PM   #22
    joshg

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8nalive View Post
    I'm not interested in what anyone on this site thinks about Boyd or what the Dave Matthews Band thinks about Boyd. What does that matter to me? I want to know how Boyd is doing as a human being as others have previously mentioned. It has to be extremely difficult to say the least to be a part of one of the premier bands on the planet and then not
    Beyond. I think about him in this context at least once a week.
    Old 08-20-2021, 06:07 PM   #23
    joshg

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbdreamingtree View Post
    tbh, i was always a little curious. he was def the most eccentric - and then the group hugs after shows started and narnia, etc - my radar was going off. of course nothing wrong w a guy giving out hugs, but between the hugs, financial issues (https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...zarre-lawsuit/), fecal matter into the chicago river, etc, something always seemed off (to me). while many around me were in love with boyd and his energy, i was focused almost exclusively on roi.

I truly hope everything works out for boyd.
    That was Boyd's doing? If not, it's legit hilarious that you added that to the Boyd list.
    Old 08-20-2021, 06:23 PM   #24
    dmbdreamingtree
    be the light

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That was Boyd's doing? If not, it's legit hilarious that you added that to the Boyd list.
    no - but his bus driver. obviously not his doing, but his name was in the news regardless.

I do hope he is doing ok.
    Old 08-20-2021, 06:55 PM   #25
    8nalive

My Tour Central Stats

Boyd was a true professional. And he could play the violin. Very well. Awesomely in fact. Tell the H.S. music teacher he or she plays and teaches at the high school level, should stay at that level and has no business evaluating a professional musician. I know it is popular to bash Boyd. Almost everyone does without thinking and without having any credentials at all. But I think Boyd can take it. What do most of you know about playing the violin, anyway? Seriously asking. Just asking. Just wanting to know. There are all of you music critics on Ants. Crazy! What qualifies you to critique anyone's playing? Do you know how difficult it is to play the violin? What do you know about the violin? Who would you point to that is a great rock n' roll violinist? What was so terribly awful about Boyd's playing? The answer? Nothing. He was a quality strings player. You da man Boyd
    Old 08-20-2021, 07:05 PM   #26
    paulg83
    Probably just rage

Shows Seen: 66

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8nalive View Post
    Boyd was a true professional. And he could play the violin. Very well. Awesomely in fact. Tell the H.S. music teacher he or she plays and teaches at the high school level, should stay at that level and has no business evaluating a professional musician. I know it is popular to bash Boyd. Almost everyone does without thinking and without having any credentials at all. But I think Boyd can take it. What do most of you know about playing the violin, anyway? Seriously asking. Just asking. Just wanting to know. There are all of you music critics on Ants. Crazy! What qualifies you to critique anyone's playing? Do you know how difficult it is to play the violin? What do you know about the violin? Who would you point to that is a great rock n' roll violinist? What was so terribly awful about Boyd's playing? The answer? Nothing. He was a quality strings player. You da man Boyd
    found boyd's account
    Old 08-20-2021, 07:12 PM   #27
    8nalive

My Tour Central Stats

Neat note. My relatives used to live in Charlottesville a long time ago now. My cousin Katy met Boyd in a gym in Charlottesville. She used to live there with my Aunt. And my Aunt met Dave and he kissed her hand on a flight and said something kind to her. Dave also left a message on their home answering machine by mistake saying something like, "It's Dave, call me back." I forget the details now
    Old 08-20-2021, 07:20 PM   #28
    crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paulg83 View Post
    found boyd's account
    Found his alt account https://antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=355854
    Old 08-20-2021, 09:28 PM   #29
    K270
    Hello my baby!!!!

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I thought someone posted a Cameo video he did within the past two or three months. Or, if you want to find out if he's ok, have make a cameo video for you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neumdogg View Post
    Dodgers suck.
    K270 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2021, 06:51 PM   #30
    GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

What I would hope everyone would takeaway from this is that no one should EVER make assumptions that what things look like on the surface is also what is going on behind the scenes- with ANY band. It is almost ALWAYS more complicated than it looks like on the surface.

I feel like Facebook has taught that over and over again on a normal, non-celebrity level, in that most people only put the good stuff and highlights out there, but then you find out the couple with perfect looking children who are always smiling in vacation pictures were like selling human organs on the black market or something. Seriously, when humans are involved, there is likely PLENTY going on behind the public face that most people have no clue about.

Then add fame, money, power and being surrounded by yes men and yes women and you have the recipe for... complicated dynamics. And often serious falls from grace.

So I understand when you just don't imagine things are bad, then being really disappointed to find out how complicated or dysfunctional they were. But maybe know now that no one knows what's not obvious, but also no one should assume that just because we don't see problems, there aren't any. Or there aren't any deep problems.

Last edited by GraceBuckley; 08-21-2021 at 06:52 PM.
    GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote