Disc Golf! - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 05-11-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
stpitner
Former B+P Junkie

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Disc Golf!

Any disc golfers in the Illinois area? I picked up the sport last September, and now I'm hooked I just joined the PDGA today, and I'll be playing in my first tournament in Lombard, IL on May 21st and 22nd.

Just curious how many are out there, and maybe we can play a round together sometime.

Scott

My Lists:
DMBExchange | Ants | Phishhook.org | dmbpics.tripod.com
stpitner is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-11-2006, 12:47 PM   #2
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Disc Golf!

Hey Scott! Don't play, but thought I'd drop you a hello. How did your move a while back go? Settled in nicely?
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-11-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
    whoopie85

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

YEA YEA... where do you live exactly? i live in the northwest suburbs and we have probably about 7 around us. Theres 2 in cyrstal lake, 1 in round lake beach, 1 in elk grove village, 2 in palatine, and 1 in streamwood. Ive been playing for about a year and a half now. Love the sport, i really wish ESPN would bring the tournaments back onto TV. Back in the 90's i remember seeing it but havent seen it since.

What discs do you throw?
    whoopie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-11-2006, 12:50 PM   #4
    afritsch

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I have played on the course in Lombard and Willowbrook (i think), but it hasnt been a while. Have you played it before? If I remember correctly it was pretty nice. Good luck in your tournament
    afritsch is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-11-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
    waywayNCSU
    Farva's # 1

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Hell yeah. I play at least 3 times a week, especially lately since its warm, and light out longer.

Definately love the frolf.
    waywayNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-11-2006, 01:31 PM   #6
    jrh83
    Thats Jared!

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Come up to madison. We have Three great 18 hole courses. We also have about 6 9-18 hole courses within an hour.

Disc golf is da bomb

-Jared Aka The Commissioner of all things cannonball!
    jrh83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-11-2006, 01:43 PM   #7
    DixieChixen
    Im KindOfa Big Deal

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Frolf is for hicks and douchebags in the suburbs. If you do it and you are not drinking, it makes it worse

...carry on.

Little known DMB alternate lyrics:
    Do what you will; always, walk where you like. Do what you please I'll piihb....
    DixieChixen is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-11-2006, 01:45 PM   #8
    cityondown5
    I-Z-Z-O-N-E

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whoopie85
    YEA YEA... where do you live exactly? i live in the northwest suburbs and we have probably about 7 around us. Theres 2 in cyrstal lake, 1 in round lake beach, 1 in elk grove village, 2 in palatine, and 1 in streamwood. Ive been playing for about a year and a half now. Love the sport, i really wish ESPN would bring the tournaments back onto TV. Back in the 90's i remember seeing it but havent seen it since.

What discs do you throw?
    I have been to all of those Elk Grove sucks
    cityondown5 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-11-2006, 01:50 PM   #9
    tortoise

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

i played disc golf once with my brother. it was pretty cool. i doubt there are any courses around here though.
    tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-11-2006, 01:53 PM   #10
    41ravens
    Now We Go

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

this was supposed to be the summer of george!

Thank you. Thank you for your honesty.
    Now fuck off and die, you fucked up slag.
    41ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-11-2006, 01:56 PM   #11
    whoopie85

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cityondown5
    I have been to all of those Elk Grove sucks

Really? I really enjoyed the Elk Grove course. I thought the streamwood course was awful.
    Old 05-11-2006, 02:21 PM   #12
    GLR87
    Play

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

He frolfs! HE SCORES!

GLR87 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-11-2006, 05:07 PM   #13
    triplethreat112

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

i dont drink, i dont smoke, imnot a hippie but i do like the frisbee golf. its a pretty cool game. im one town over from crystal lake in mchenry. im up for some frolf or the real thing. lets set up an outing this summer for the ants of chicagoland. patent pending

just remember i thought of it
    triplethreat112 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-12-2006, 08:30 AM   #14
    stpitner
    Former B+P Junkie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by triplethreat112
    i dont drink, i dont smoke, imnot a hippie but i do like the frisbee golf. its a pretty cool game. im one town over from crystal lake in mchenry. im up for some frolf or the real thing. lets set up an outing this summer for the ants of chicagoland. patent pending

just remember i thought of it
    I'm in the same boat... don't drink, don't smoke, none of that, but love disc golf. It's a lot cheaper than ball golf, although I've lost a couple discs to a pond recently. It's a great thing to go out and do

As far as where I've played, I've been to:
    *Madison Meadows - Lombard (this is where the tournament is on the 21st/22nd)
    *Lombard Commons Park - Lombard (pretty easy 9-hole unless it's windy)
    *Lippold Park - Crystal Lake (I don't like the tees here though, other than that a good course... until there's too many people playing... can get frustrating)
    *Central Park - Oak Brook (insanely tree-filled 9-hole course, rubber tees though!)
    *Mayfair Park - Westchester (fairly easy 9-hole)
    *Prarie Park - DeKalb (will be so nice when they turn this course into an 18-hole course. VERY NICE 9-hole already)
    *Anna Page Park EAST - Rockford (absolutely amazing 18-hole course. You can go to the other side of the parking lot and play the West course, another 18-holes, but my wife was too tired to do that course too when we were out there)
    *UW-Parkside - Kenosha, WI - Great course. 18-holes, some very unique holes and some very tough wooded areas.
    *Sunrise Park - Bartlett, IL - played this course once. Lots of LONG holes to make an 18-hole course. It's still too wide open though... needs more trees. Hole 8 and 10 are tough though because if you want to get a 3 you have to throw it over the pond.
    *Hannah Beardsley Middle School - Crystal Lake - very easy 9-hole course, but it has a very interesting shot on 8 (120' or something like that, but the basket is about 30 feet DOWN)
    If the weather gets better I plan on playing in Mokena, IL on Saturday... they have a 27-hole course with 54-different rubber tees, so lots of possibilities there

Hey rconverse - thanks for asking about the move. The move itself went well, but I still have so much junk that it's tough to live comfortably lol. I'll never be fully settled in, and if I ever do get to that point it will be time to move. Hopefully I can get a townhouse or my own home for the next move

whoopie85 - I live in Carol Stream. I play Crystal Lake still because my family lives in Algonquin, and I got both of my brothers into it I want to play the Streamwood course soon... a co-worker of mine said it was tough, but very good. If I ever head up further north I want to try out the Fairfield and Bevier courses.

If anyone is trying to find a course near them, just go to pdga.com and click on "Course Directory" in the top right. It's very accurate information

Scott

My Lists:

Last edited by stpitner; 05-12-2006 at 08:31 AM.
    Old 05-12-2006, 08:40 AM   #15
    tompeas13

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Carol Stream Love!
    tompeas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-12-2006, 09:06 AM   #16
    waywayNCSU
    Farva's # 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stpitner
    Any disc golfers in the Illinois area? I picked up the sport last September, and now I'm hooked I just joined the PDGA today, and I'll be playing in my first tournament in Lombard, IL on May 21st and 22nd.

Just curious how many are out there, and maybe we can play a round together sometime.

Scott
    What do you throw?

Discraft?
    Innova?

Which plastic?

Do you prefer heavy or light disc?
    Old 05-12-2006, 09:16 AM   #17
    Dancing Ants
    seeplymouth

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Scott

you can't play unless you have dreads and smell like patchouli and have been to 100 PHiSH shows.
    Dancing Ants is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-12-2006, 09:25 AM   #18
    whoopie85

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm in the same boat... don't drink, don't smoke, none of that, but love disc golf. It's a lot cheaper than ball golf, although I've lost a couple discs to a pond recently. It's a great thing to go out and do

As far as where I've played, I've been to:
    *Madison Meadows - Lombard (this is where the tournament is on the 21st/22nd)
    *Lombard Commons Park - Lombard (pretty easy 9-hole unless it's windy)
    *Lippold Park - Crystal Lake (I don't like the tees here though, other than that a good course... until there's too many people playing... can get frustrating)
    *Central Park - Oak Brook (insanely tree-filled 9-hole course, rubber tees though!)
    *Mayfair Park - Westchester (fairly easy 9-hole)
    *Prarie Park - DeKalb (will be so nice when they turn this course into an 18-hole course. VERY NICE 9-hole already)
    *Anna Page Park EAST - Rockford (absolutely amazing 18-hole course. You can go to the other side of the parking lot and play the West course, another 18-holes, but my wife was too tired to do that course too when we were out there)
    *UW-Parkside - Kenosha, WI - Great course. 18-holes, some very unique holes and some very tough wooded areas.
    *Sunrise Park - Bartlett, IL - played this course once. Lots of LONG holes to make an 18-hole course. It's still too wide open though... needs more trees. Hole 8 and 10 are tough though because if you want to get a 3 you have to throw it over the pond.
    *Hannah Beardsley Middle School - Crystal Lake - very easy 9-hole course, but it has a very interesting shot on 8 (120' or something like that, but the basket is about 30 feet DOWN)
    If the weather gets better I plan on playing in Mokena, IL on Saturday... they have a 27-hole course with 54-different rubber tees, so lots of possibilities there

Hey rconverse - thanks for asking about the move. The move itself went well, but I still have so much junk that it's tough to live comfortably lol. I'll never be fully settled in, and if I ever do get to that point it will be time to move. Hopefully I can get a townhouse or my own home for the next move

whoopie85 - I live in Carol Stream. I play Crystal Lake still because my family lives in Algonquin, and I got both of my brothers into it I want to play the Streamwood course soon... a co-worker of mine said it was tough, but very good. If I ever head up further north I want to try out the Fairfield and Bevier courses.

If anyone is trying to find a course near them, just go to pdga.com and click on "Course Directory" in the top right. It's very accurate information

Scott
    What we usually do is start off at Hannah Beardsley as kinda a warm up. And then well drive to Lippold for a long game. It works out and is a solid afternoon of frisbee golf.

That hole on where it dips down is awesome. I like that hole alot, have come very close to an ace on that one as well as the first 2 holes at hannah beardsley. That course is also fun to just keep circling around... if we dont want to go to lippold well go around 4 or 5 times. And its never busy so thats nice too.
    Old 05-12-2006, 10:09 AM   #19
    cityondown5
    I-Z-Z-O-N-E

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Really? I really enjoyed the Elk Grove course. I thought the streamwood course was awful.
    Elk Grove is alright I guess, I just go there more than anywhere else. So maybe I'm just sick of it. I think it the Palatine one, right off Palatine Road, is awesome.
    cityondown5 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-12-2006, 10:18 AM   #20
    stpitner
    Former B+P Junkie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by waywayNCSU
    What do you throw?

Discraft?
    Innova?

Which plastic?

I'm a lefty, so if I mention something curving one direction or the other you need to reverse it if you throw righty.

My bag is in my car right now (so I might forget something), but here's what I'm currently throwing:

Drivers:
    -Innova Star Wraith 175g - fades pretty hard right, but sometimes you really need that.. still goes out really straight for me though.
    -Innova Champ Orc 175g - Lost my Champ and Star beast to a pond, so I have to rely on the Champ Orc. Doesn't fade as much as my Wraith, but also doesn't go quite as far.
    -Discraft Elite-Z Avenger 173g - mostly used for playtesting
    -Gateway E-Sabre 174g - great straight driver. It has been turning over on me a little bit too much lately, but still good.
    -Aerobie Epic 167g - Unbelievably awesome tomahawk shot disc. Terrible roller though, the disc likes to do a barrel roll when you throw it.
    -Innova Champ Roadrunner ?g - I use this when my forehand isn't feeling as strong that day and I need something to go far to the left before coming back right. Perfect disc for that.
    -Discraft ESP Surge 172g - Playtesting. I get quite a bit of distance, but still haven't thrown it enough to comment yet.
    -Innova Champion Leopard 174g - Use this for short distance drives that require little to no fade. I can turn this one over if I need to.
    -Innova Champion Valkyrie 172g - great tailwind disc. I can throw it low and if there is wind behind it the thing just flies and flies and flies.
    -Innova KC Pro Whippet 171g - Great short disc that has a huge hook at the end of its flight with a great skip at the end. Almost nailed my first ace using this disc.

Mid-Range:
    -Innova KC Pro Roc 179g - Just added to my bag. I'm using it as a disc that is good short range that will do a hook right for me (similar to the whippet, but the whippet is used for longer distances and harder hook)
    -Discraft Pro-D Drone ?g - Kinda like the Whippet, but doesn't go as far. So far has been more overstable than the Roc
    -Discraft Elite-Z Hawk 173g (out of production) - I use this disc as my straight mid-range. Usually when I throw it I give it a lazy s-curve toss to it, and if I release it right, it will plop right in front of the basket for me.
    -Innova Champion Stingray 180g - this is my mid-range that I use for anhyzer shots that I use heavily to get out of trees and other various shots.

Putters:
    -Gateway Soft Wizard 175g - amazing disc. It holds whatever line you put it on. Nailed my personal best about a 68-70foot putt using this disc. Great disc.
    -Discraft Pro-D Banger-GT 174g - I love the thumb trac on this disc. I use it when I'm not feeling comfortable with the Wizard's grip for some reason that day. I'm trying to turn this one into my primary putter, but I still have to pick up some more and do more practicing.
    -Innova Champion Classic Roc 175g - still playtesting this disc. I'd probably be better off with a DX Classic Roc instead of the Champion though. Putting requires a really good grip, and I don't quite get that with the Champ Classic Roc.

I usually carry 2 more discs that what I list above in general for playtesting (and once I buy another Beast that disc will take one of the spots), but that's the majority of what I throw.

Scott

My Lists:
    Old 05-12-2006, 10:24 AM   #21
    stpitner
    Former B+P Junkie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    What do you throw?

Discraft?
    Innova?

Which plastic?

and to better answer your question... I like heavier discs especially in the wind, but I should probably try to stick in the high 160's and low 170's for some of the discs (I'm thinking wraith in particular) so that it won't be as overstable on me. I can't even throw a Firebird and Monster right now because they are just too difficult for me to throw (for now)

I definitely like the Champion(or Elite-Z) and Star (or ESP) plastic. I've NAILED some trees extremely hard and the discs show nothing for it (ESP is probably the least durable out of the 4 plastics I mentioned... I actually was able to nick up my ESP Surge) The only part that stinks is throwing one of these discs into a pond because they are more expensive.

I like Innova, Discraft, and Gateway stuff. I want to try out Ching, but I still have plenty to learn with what I already have. Some of Discraft's stuff is better than you think!

Oh yeah! I remember a disc that I forgot is in my bag... crazy of me to forget too.

Innova Champ Banshee ?g - This is one of my go-to discs if I need a forehand shot. It performs EXTREMELY well when used for a nice forehand shot.

My Lists:
    Old 05-12-2006, 10:27 AM   #22
    stpitner
    Former B+P Junkie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    What we usually do is start off at Hannah Beardsley as kinda a warm up. And then well drive to Lippold for a long game. It works out and is a solid afternoon of frisbee golf.

That hole on where it dips down is awesome. I like that hole alot, have come very close to an ace on that one as well as the first 2 holes at hannah beardsley. That course is also fun to just keep circling around... if we dont want to go to lippold well go around 4 or 5 times. And its never busy so thats nice too.
    My brother once landed under the basket on hole 2. He was happy about the easy deuce, but was sad that it wasn't an ace.

I have a contact that goes to that school (I think) that can get discs down off the roof if one should go up there, so that's always encouraging I almost lost one off my drive on 4... it kinda got away from me when I released (lefty). I always wind up on the sidewalk when throwing on 9, hit the building one time lol.

I love that it's never busy. I just wish some of the holes (ie. hole 6) were slightly more challenging.

My Lists:
    Old 05-12-2006, 11:07 AM   #23
    whoopie85

My Tour Central Stats

i throw lefty to and it might be 4 or it might be 5, whichever one has the tee thats like the edge of the building and then the tee on the right of it is a bitch if you throw left handed.
    Old 05-12-2006, 11:08 AM   #24
    whoopie85

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My brother once landed under the basket on hole 2. He was happy about the easy deuce, but was sad that it wasn't an ace.

I have a contact that goes to that school (I think) that can get discs down off the roof if one should go up there, so that's always encouraging I almost lost one off my drive on 4... it kinda got away from me when I released (lefty). I always wind up on the sidewalk when throwing on 9, hit the building one time lol.

I love that it's never busy. I just wish some of the holes (ie. hole 6) were slightly more challenging.

i actually try to hit the building mostof the time because you can get a good bounce thatll land pretty close to the hole
    Old 05-12-2006, 11:11 AM   #25
    whoopie85

My Tour Central Stats

they need to get frisbee golf back onto ESPN
    Old 05-12-2006, 01:18 PM   #26
    stpitner
    Former B+P Junkie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i throw lefty to and it might be 4 or it might be 5, whichever one has the tee thats like the edge of the building and then the tee on the right of it is a bitch if you throw left handed.
    It's 4. Hole 5's tee is out in the grassy area. My wife also throws lefty and hit her hand hard on the building and had a nasty bruise. I usually step in front of the building to avoid it or go to the other side of the tee (although thet incline makes it tough).

My Lists:
    Old 05-12-2006, 01:23 PM   #27
    stpitner
    Former B+P Junkie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    they need to get frisbee golf back onto ESPN
    They are trying to get disc golf back on TV. There's discgolftv.com that is a really new site. The announcer for the show isn't that great (hopefully now that she has done a couple episodes she is getting better!) there is some pretty good footage there www.discgolftv.com

The current episode up there now actually has quite a bit of footage (good quality but not the best).

A lot of people have said that the reason you don't see it is because they can't get a big enough sponsorship to generate a big enough purse for the tournament to draw attention. One tournament had a $10,000 payout last year, but not too many can even do that much (which is still a small amount!)

Scott

My Lists:
    Old 05-12-2006, 02:00 PM   #28
    waywayNCSU
    Farva's # 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    and to better answer your question... I like heavier discs especially in the wind, but I should probably try to stick in the high 160's and low 170's for some of the discs (I'm thinking wraith in particular) so that it won't be as overstable on me. I can't even throw a Firebird and Monster right now because they are just too difficult for me to throw (for now)

I definitely like the Champion(or Elite-Z) and Star (or ESP) plastic. I've NAILED some trees extremely hard and the discs show nothing for it (ESP is probably the least durable out of the 4 plastics I mentioned... I actually was able to nick up my ESP Surge) The only part that stinks is throwing one of these discs into a pond because they are more expensive.

I like Innova, Discraft, and Gateway stuff. I want to try out Ching, but I still have plenty to learn with what I already have. Some of Discraft's stuff is better than you think!

Oh yeah! I remember a disc that I forgot is in my bag... crazy of me to forget too.

Innova Champ Banshee ?g - This is one of my go-to discs if I need a forehand shot. It performs EXTREMELY well when used for a nice forehand shot.

Word.

Yeah, I like the Discraft Elite-Z's, their drivers and mid-rangers are awsome, a little heavier like you (165g-173g). I dig the Innova Champion drivers. Not really into the new Star plastic, I've thrown it a few times, but I've grown so used to the Chamion/Elite-Z plastics, that I doubt I'll move to another.
    Old 05-12-2006, 05:11 PM   #29
    jmudmbphan
    27 WS + 14 NATL TITLES

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I love disc golf..have been playing off an on since 98...ALthough much more as of late.....For any of you ants coming to charlottesville for the DMB show, be sure to check out the disc golf course they have around there.....By far the best course I have ever played, in terms of challenge and scenery...One hole has you throwing off a 250 foot cliff over a winding river onto a penninsula hole...great stuff...drop me a PM and ill try to get the name and directions which elude me at this particular moment..
    because they are clearly better.......? How's that for a reason? They also played IN New York, on a cold windy night. You put Elisha in a no-elements warm climate and he's fucked. No way in high holy fuck is New England going to lose the Super Bowl. It's not going to happen.
    jmudmbphan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-12-2006, 07:39 PM   #30
    stpitner
    Former B+P Junkie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Word.

Yeah, I like the Discraft Elite-Z's, their drivers and mid-rangers are awsome, a little heavier like you (165g-173g). I dig the Innova Champion drivers. Not really into the new Star plastic, I've thrown it a few times, but I've grown so used to the Chamion/Elite-Z plastics, that I doubt I'll move to another.
    One of the biggest reasons I throw a Star Wraith is because I don't want to pay the big chunk of money for a CFR Wraith. Granted the CFR Wraith I can pick up for $18 and the Star Wraith for only about $13, but still, $5 saved is almost another DX disc

I need to work on getting some more distance on my drive. I am just now getting near the 250' range. When I first started I was probably about 150', and for the longest time I was 200' - 220'. Just recently I've been realizing that I can really whip the disc without losing too much control, and it's been very helpful for me. Occasionally one will get away from me and go off to never-never land, but I'm still learning I've only played the game for what... 9 months now? I think I started the end of Sept '05.

My Lists: