General Discussion on Setlists as a Whole This Year - Page 540 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-07-2019, 02:03 PM   #16171
Bmwm3oz

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: General Discussion on Setlists as a Whole This Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbnut21 View Post
Careful... you think you are willing him to play Spoon. Dave thinks you want him to play Stir It Up.

I'm going to go buy a Costco membership and then buy a 5,000 count box of plastic Spoons and bring them to the Gorge. I don't know if I can get him to play Spoon but I do know I can single handled hurt the environment. Take that UN Environmental Ambassadors!
Funny thing is all the earth friendly wooks who drove their gas guzzlers to the Gorge will cry about how wasteful it is to throw plastic spoons around the Gorge, meanwhile they'll be happy to toss glow sticks all over the venue.
Bmwm3oz is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-07-2019, 02:03 PM   #16172
    Antiramie

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I wouldn’t mind if I heard Stand Up.
    Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2019, 02:05 PM   #16173
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    I wouldn’t mind if I heard Stand Up.
    Is that because you want to hear it, or because you want other fans to have a good time?
    Old 06-07-2019, 02:08 PM   #16174
    dmbnut21

Shows Seen: 79

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz View Post
    Funny thing is all the earth friendly wooks who drove their gas guzzlers to the Gorge will cry about how wasteful it is to throw plastic spoons around the Gorge, meanwhile they'll be happy to toss glow sticks all over the venue.
    Accurate. And annoying. Maybe I'll buy a bunch of earth friendly bio-degradable spoons.

Quote:
    Is that because you want to hear it, or because you want other fans to have a good time?
    This will not make me have a good time....
    dmbnut21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #16175
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbnut21 View Post
    Accurate. And annoying. Maybe I'll buy a bunch of earth friendly bio-degradable spoons.

This will not make me have a good time....
    Honestly thinking about this.. if the fans were tossing biodegradable organic grass fed spoons all over the Gorge, would anyone on stage get it? The IEM would be awesome to hear... I imagine someone would figure it out
    Old 06-07-2019, 02:17 PM   #16176
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Pretty indifferent to it. A lot of other songs I’d rather not hear than Stand Up.
    Old 06-07-2019, 02:22 PM   #16177
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Pretty indifferent to it. A lot of other songs I’d rather not hear than Stand Up.
    Just giving you crap dude. Maybe I had the wrong person. Someone in the beginning of this thread said they are only interested in others having a good time and not themselves when it comes to setlists.
    Old 06-07-2019, 02:26 PM   #16178
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just giving you crap dude. Maybe I had the wrong person. Someone in the beginning of this thread said they are only interested in others having a good time and not themselves when it comes to setlists.
    It’s the billionth time what I said was misinterpreted, so I just ignored it this time
    Old 06-07-2019, 02:30 PM   #16179
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It’s the billionth time what I said was misinterpreted, so I just ignored it this time
    I've been intentionally misinterpreting it since the second you posted it.
    Old 06-07-2019, 02:34 PM   #16180
    dmbnut21

Shows Seen: 79

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

I actually want everyone else to have a worse time than me. If you aren't first, your last.

Also, I like rare B-sides. So, if they are playing all those I'm insanely happy while all the casuals are sitting there wonder WTF Light Lift Me Up is.
    dmbnut21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2019, 02:45 PM   #16181
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I've been intentionally misinterpreting it since the second you posted it.
    Lol I know. I just chose to give a legit response instead of a joking one. All good man
    Old 06-07-2019, 03:07 PM   #16182
    garagebrothers

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by karczews41 View Post
    Maybe an unpopular opinion but I’d have a great time with this set
    Swap out DDTW and Grey Street and that would be an unbelievable show
    garagebrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #16183
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

DMBs fanbase is just not so great these days. I just went to a Widespread Concert and the fans are just way better. People are just a lot more attentive and care for the music. You don’t get anybody having a full conversation while the music is going or any of that BS. They actually listen to music. For example- I’m what you would consider a casual panic fan. So I didn’t really know a few songs between both night. Anyway, I’m not going to start up a conversation with my buddy’s during the song.I’m actually going to pay attention and enjoy it.

DMB fans just can’t seem to get that concept. They don’t play attention to songs like Seek Up, YNK, Raven, Captain, or DT type songs. That’s pretty weak honesty. The majority only react to loud sounds. It’s unfortunate
    The fanbase is so watered , and I feel like that’s part of the reason they were playing some of these sets before Iowa.
    Old 06-09-2019, 02:17 PM   #16184
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    DMBs fanbase is just not so great these days. I just went to a Widespread Concert and the fans are just way better. People are just a lot more attentive and care for the music. You don’t get anybody having a full conversation while the music is going or any of that BS. They actually listen to music. For example- I’m what you would consider a casual panic fan. So I didn’t really know a few songs between both night. Anyway, I’m not going to start up a conversation with my buddy’s during the song.I’m actually going to pay attention and enjoy it.

DMB fans just can’t seem to get that concept. They don’t play attention to songs like Seek Up, YNK, Raven, Captain, or DT type songs. That’s pretty weak honesty. The majority only react to loud sounds. It’s unfortunate
    The fanbase is so watered , and I feel like that’s part of the reason they were playing some of these sets before Iowa.
    Every aspect of society is like that now. We live in an age of instant gratification. It's why flashy, loud movies rule box offices and clickbait headlines dominate news feeds.

And the fans aren't the only ones to blame either. Dave, the supply side, is also part of the problem by embodying and/or enabling that behavior, whether because he too just wants loud and danceable songs or because he doesn't want to lose the masses of ticket-buyers that want them.

It's a symbiotic relationship based on vapidness at this point.

Last edited by Antiramie; 06-09-2019 at 02:19 PM.
    Old 06-09-2019, 08:05 PM   #16185
    joevol017

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

With DMB’s fan base, I don’t think it’s a matter of “loud”...it’s a matter of predictability. The draw of going to multiple shows was the variety and not knowing what was coming next. That aspect is gone. With that said, even though the sets haven’t been as random, the actual shows have been great. The stage set is great this year and the guys are really having fun.
    joevol017 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2019, 10:37 PM   #16186
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joevol017 View Post
    With DMB’s fan base, I don’t think it’s a matter of “loud”...it’s a matter of predictability. The draw of going to multiple shows was the variety and not knowing what was coming next. That aspect is gone. With that said, even though the sets haven’t been as random, the actual shows have been great. The stage set is great this year and the guys are really having fun.
    I would say familiarity is probably desired ahead of loudness, yes, but familiar songs for those types of fans rarely include ones that are quiet, complex, long, and/or introspective.

The hits and songs with de facto crowd involvement are the usual suspects. Nothing against those types of songs per se, but it’s a shame that some people can’t focus on a relatively unknown song for 5 minutes just because they didn’t hear it on the radio 100 times or get to yell YEAAAAAHHH at some point. It’s kind of like DMB shows turned into Rocky Horror Picture Show viewings, except we’re the audience members that came for the humor and music and not just because it was an excuse to get drunk, throw things, and scream catch-phrases.

Last edited by Antiramie; 06-09-2019 at 10:41 PM.
    Old 06-10-2019, 05:39 AM   #16187
    richvisser23

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

The extent of my talking during a show is between songs, and something like "that was awesome" or "did you hear..."

If I do talk during a song its at the very beginning and consists of "I am going to the bathroom, do you want a beer?"
    "The following text deals with a controversial subject. The theories expressed are not the only possible interpretation. Viewers are invited to make a judgement based on all available information."
    richvisser23 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2019, 06:53 AM   #16188
    TurboPGT

Shows Seen: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Quote:
    Every aspect of society is like that now. We live in an age of instant gratification. It's why flashy, loud movies rule box offices and clickbait headlines dominate news feeds.

And the fans aren't the only ones to blame either. Dave, the supply side, is also part of the problem by embodying and/or enabling that behavior, whether because he too just wants loud and danceable songs or because he doesn't want to lose the masses of ticket-buyers that want them.

It's a symbiotic relationship based on vapidness at this point.
    My thought process has always been that the casual drunktard does not know or care what's being played 75% of the time at any concert by any band. So why give a single fuck about "what" is played for their sake?

As long as they throw in an Ants Marching here or a Crash Into Me there, those walking dunce caps will have their moment.

The truth is that Dave is one of these walking dunce caps. He's one of them.
    TurboPGT is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2019, 07:09 AM   #16189
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

It's amazing how much people can bitch even when they aren't playing shows
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2019, 07:47 AM   #16190
    Jackstraw343

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Agreed, but have felt this way for about 13 years. Some artists I go see, and you can hear a pin drop. Amos Lee played with the Colorado Symphony at red rocks and it was astonishingly quiet. You could hear leaves rustling...

Dead & CO shows are a party but no one is really jabbering away during the tunes. Even songs like Stella Blue or Lost Sailor... Quiet slow beautiful songs and people are just honed in.

A DMB show is a lot like going to a really crowded noisy bar. Like there might as well be a jukebox on stage. Half the audience doesn't even face the stage.
    I went with a group of friends years ago, and one of them thought I was mad at her because I didn't want to discuss my summer travel plans while Bela Fleck was playing on Dreaming Tree.... Then she proceeded to complain she couldn't even hear Bela Fleck so she was just going to keep talking.
    Jackstraw343 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2019, 07:56 AM   #16191
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Sorry I forgot this was the “General Discussion on Setlists as a Whole This Year Only When the Band is on Stage” thread.
    Old 06-10-2019, 08:02 AM   #16192
    richvisser23

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    At this point this is more of an observation, cause it's true. Just a lot of bleak observations to be had.

However, the band sounds real good so far, even the less than stellar sets. I did have a thought when listening to So Damn Lucky the other day...what if Buddy sang the outro...like on key... could be a great opportunity. I love that outro, but Dave can kill the vibe sometimes with his yells. Just a thought.
    "The following text deals with a controversial subject. The theories expressed are not the only possible interpretation. Viewers are invited to make a judgement based on all available information."
    richvisser23 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2019, 08:08 AM   #16193
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

DMB crowds definitely are terrible, and it becomes extremely evident when you see another band that has a mostly die hard following, that not bitching.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2019, 08:10 AM   #16194
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Sorry I forgot this was the “General Discussion on Setlists as a Whole This Year Only When the Band is on Stage” thread.

Not even discussing setlists, should be general bitching thread but carry on, they'll be back soon enough
    Old 06-10-2019, 08:19 AM   #16195
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Not even discussing setlists, should be general bitching thread but carry on, they'll be back soon enough
    The conversation was literally about setlist diversification due to the tendencies/behaviors of fans and Dave when you commented...
    Old 06-10-2019, 08:22 AM   #16196
    Bmwm3oz

My Tour Central Stats

Have North American DMB fans ever been attentive? I mean, at least half the fan base is back in the late 90s and 2000s were there just to 'hang out' and socialize/drink.

The only attentive DMB fans are in Europe.
    Old 06-10-2019, 08:30 AM   #16197
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

And if anything this thread should be titled:

“DMB Pie: Why I Should Get More Slices Than You, As Demonstrated Through Personal Show Flow Superiority”

Last edited by Antiramie; 06-10-2019 at 08:31 AM.
    Old 06-10-2019, 08:34 AM   #16198
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    And if anything this thread should be titled:

“DMB Pie: Why I Should Get More Slices Than You, As Demonstrated Through Personal Show Flow Superiority”

I could get on board here
    Old 06-10-2019, 08:42 AM   #16199
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Have North American DMB fans ever been attentive? I mean, at least half the fan base is back in the late 90s and 2000s were there just to 'hang out' and socialize/drink.

Id have to imagine back in the 90's and early 00's the majority were much more attentive.

Im sure it was never to the level of crowd like phish or WSP, but Id be pretty surprised if someone were to say it was just as bad as it is now when DMB was in their heyday.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #16200
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

What is it about U.S. DMB fans though? I've seen a shit ton of concerts over the years, and can't remember shows besides DMB ones where so many fans are tuned out or blatantly socializing during songs.

Is it the frat following? Like is DMB the Kentucky Derby of bands, where people just go to be seen and get wasted and don't really give a shit about the race?

Last edited by Antiramie; 06-10-2019 at 08:47 AM.