TagBot: Easier tagging of your DMB live recordings - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 11-19-2021, 04:06 PM   #1
Syco54645

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

TagBot: Easier tagging of your DMB live recordings

Hello all!

I hope this is ok to post here. I have been working on an application called TagBot for a few weeks and it is getting near being complete (I have wanted to build this for around 20 years and just finally decided to a few weeks ago). The purpose of TagBot is to aid with the tagging of live shows. It does this by way of an SQLite database that I have designed. I currently have a database built for DMB (this includes dmb, dm, d&t, d&f) and intend to build one for a few others but beyond that it would be up to other communities to create them. I am committed to keeping the DMB database up to date.

Basically the app will try to suss out the date of a show based on the directory name and then fill in the search field. If the date cannot be found you can manually enter one. Regardless of how this date is gotten you then click search and get the data for the show on that date. If multiple shows are returned you can select the correct one (this was absent from the video I shared). From there you are presented with the setlist on the left and the flac files on the right. You then drag and drop the titles to the files, if a file is multiple songs in one you can drag over multiple titles and the app will assemble them. If the number of setlist items matches the number of files you can click a button to map the titles over 1:1. It will also autofill the artist and album.

The format for the date, track title, and album are all configurable with a template system. The artist names are able to be transformed, ex: "dmb" to "Dave Matthews Band".

Here is a quick demo video I made the other day, the application's UI is basically set but a number of features were missing from this video, including the saving of tags. I finished up the code to save tags this morning so the app should be completely functional at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBDBH64MEhw

Hopefully this will help others with making their collections easier to browse when using something like a phone or mp3 player. If this is not the correct avenue to discuss then I apologize and ask that a mod please move it to a more appropriate place.
Syco54645 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-19-2021, 08:00 PM   #2
    Syco54645

My Tour Central Stats

Re: TagBot: Easier tagging of your DMB live recordings

I should have mentioned the app would be released as soon as I figure out my versioning scheme and fix 3 bugs. I will hopefully get to that this weekend. Once that is done the GitHub repository will be made public and a release will be created and I can reply in this thread.
    Old 11-20-2021, 06:20 PM   #3
    Syco54645

My Tour Central Stats

Well the first release of TagBot is up, and already replaced with a second release.

Basic usage can be found here. Be sure to watch the video for the flow of the application and also to download the database located here.

The releases can be found here.

If you have any issues please post them here or to the github issue tracker.
    Old 11-24-2021, 12:20 PM   #4
    jackdewey

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Nice! I have a bunch of untagged shows I downloaded and still have to go through. I'll give this a go over the week-end. Can it only do this with flac file or also MP3 files? I know I'm a heretic, but I prefer keeping my music in MP3 format.
    jackdewey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-24-2021, 12:25 PM   #5
    too69short

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

With my 46,000 dm+ songs just thinking about something else changing all my Id tagging, I get serious hives.

This would've been so helpful when I began moving to digital shows, sounds awesome. I just think I am too far down the rabbit hole and I'm very particular in my naming and other conventions. Sounds like a useful piece of software though.
    too69short is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-26-2021, 07:53 AM   #6
    Syco54645

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackdewey View Post
    Nice! I have a bunch of untagged shows I downloaded and still have to go through. I'll give this a go over the week-end. Can it only do this with flac file or also MP3 files? I know I'm a heretic, but I prefer keeping my music in MP3 format.
    For now it is only supporting flac but I was thinking about mp3 support last night. Unfortunately I wrote this very quickly and not always using the best method for things so adding mp3 will not be as easy as it could have been. I do have intention to add it eventually though.
    Old 11-26-2021, 07:54 AM   #7
    Syco54645

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by too69short View Post
    With my 46,000 dm+ songs just thinking about something else changing all my Id tagging, I get serious hives.

This would've been so helpful when I began moving to digital shows, sounds awesome. I just think I am too far down the rabbit hole and I'm very particular in my naming and other conventions. Sounds like a useful piece of software though.
    Yeah this would be useful for new shows only, if you have already tagged them by hand then I would not bother touching them. It should simplify tagging of newly downloaded shows though. If there is some customization I have not taken in to account please let me know. I built this for myself but figured others may find it useful and I am all about giving back.
    Old 11-26-2021, 05:35 PM   #8
    Syco54645

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I have mp3s half handled in TagBot now. The application is able to read the tags and display them. I have not written the saving of tags but it is close. Even once the mp3 code is complete there will be more changes I should make code wise to make maintenance easier but just know that this is what I am currently working on.
    Old 11-27-2021, 09:56 AM   #9
    Syco54645

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I have added mp3 support to TagBot and just uploaded the new release. Only portable for now as I may kill the installer. It is just extra steps and silly for an application like this.

Please let me know if you run in to any issues.

https://github.com/Syco54645/TagBot/...g/TagBot-0.2.0
    Old 11-29-2021, 10:28 AM   #10
    jackdewey

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Syco54645 View Post
    I have added mp3 support to TagBot and just uploaded the new release. Only portable for now as I may kill the installer. It is just extra steps and silly for an application like this.

Please let me know if you run in to any issues.

https://github.com/Syco54645/TagBot/...g/TagBot-0.2.0
    That is awesome! I have not had the chance to try it over the week-end, but will over the next couple of days.
    jackdewey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
    bootleg , flac , tag