In need of some golf tips... - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-14-2008, 01:18 PM   #31
jiggajm18
Joe

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Re: In need of some golf tips...

how good are you? and what type of driver and 3 iron do you have?
jiggajm18 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #32
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I am not that great by any means. Usually shoot around 40 - 45 for nine holes. I have all taylor made clubs. They are a few years old now. I honestly rarely ever use my 3 wood off the tee. I actually hit it better off the fairway most of the time.

I live in Maine so I dont get to go out that much. Im moving to Vegas so hopefully that will change.
    rickyh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #33
    jiggajm18
    Joe

My Tour Central Stats

i'm honestly surprised that you hit your 3-iron more consistently than your driver.

either way:

if you maxed your 3-iron at 200 yds and your max for a mis-hit driver was 230.....what would you rather have?
    Old 07-14-2008, 01:30 PM   #34
    thebestauntie
    My love

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    I am not that great by any means. Usually shoot around 40 - 45 for nine holes. I have all taylor made clubs. They are a few years old now. I honestly rarely ever use my 3 wood off the tee. I actually hit it better off the fairway most of the time.

I live in Maine so I dont get to go out that much. Im moving to Vegas so hopefully that will change.
    You do realize that Vegas is in a landlocked state and there's no snow there either.

Quote:
    Best team. Best city.
    thebestauntie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #35
    themaker111
    I think I can

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Here is what fixed my slice... permanently. Most golfers who slice swing their club from outside to inside. This is what causes their slice. I fixed my slice with a few visits to the driving range and this simple excercise! Bring a book to the driving range and put it under your right armpit. Practicing driving the ball without letting the book fall out of your armpit. This keeps your left arm straight and keep the club swinging on the right path! I saw results from this excercise after one trip to the driving range! Good luck!
    themaker111 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #36
    rickyh24
    GOAT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jiggajm18 View Post
    i'm honestly surprised that you hit your 3-iron more consistently than your driver.

either way:

if you maxed your 3-iron at 200 yds and your max for a mis-hit driver was 230.....what would you rather have?
    Well if there is a 25 percent chance im slicing my Driver then ill take the 3 iron. Especially since I know I can hit another good 3 iron for my 2nd shot.
    Old 07-14-2008, 02:03 PM   #37
    rickyh24
    GOAT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebestauntie View Post
    You do realize that Vegas is in a landlocked state and there's no snow there either.

What I meant was I will have a lot more chances to go golfing. I can do it year round there.
    Old 07-14-2008, 03:06 PM   #38
    DmBand801
    Schneider!

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by themaker111 View Post
    Here is what fixed my slice... permanently. Most golfers who slice swing their club from outside to inside. This is what causes their slice. I fixed my slice with a few visits to the driving range and this simple excercise! Bring a book to the driving range and put it under your right armpit. Practicing driving the ball without letting the book fall out of your armpit. This keeps your left arm straight and keep the club swinging on the right path! I saw results from this excercise after one trip to the driving range! Good luck!
    I did the same exact thing except I used a club cover instead of a book. Works awesome, you get great results
    Brady is not going to let the crappier younger brother of Fat Forehead beat him in anything. Period.
    DmBand801 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2008, 03:28 PM   #39
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

this is why im so happy i have a natural power draw, but i used to have a slice. First off, most ppl who play the ball inside their right heel play it to far up in the stance to moving it back could help. if the ball is too far up u end up cutting acrossed it which means slice. The book theory is one way to go and should fix it. Another thing could be ur backswing. I can't tell u how many people i see who think they have to John Daly the ball and take the club way to far back. Once again this results in a way out of control swing and most likely an awful slice or snaphook. My advice is to take the club more upright on ur backswing. As someone said before its the outside in motion that produces it. Anyone who says play ur slice isn't serious about golf. If u had a natural fade then thats a different story, but a slice and fade are different. hope this helped
    gonz085 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2008, 03:29 PM   #40
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

My Tour Central Stats

Also what kind of shaft is ur driver? stiff?
    Old 07-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #41
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gonz085 View Post
    Also what kind of shaft is ur driver? stiff?
    I'm assuming it's just regular. It's some shitty Walmart brand called "Foremost" that I've had for a long time.

Trying to save up to buy something decent though.
    Old 07-14-2008, 04:12 PM   #42
    Bron Yr Aur

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm not so sure I agree with that. I hit my 3 Iron a lot more consistent than my Driver or 3 wood.
    I'm also surprised by this. I'd say I shoot a little worse than you on average, but I never use a driver anymore. My clubs are pretty cheap POS, so I just hit the 3-wood off the tee. However, I definitely struggle the most with the 2-3 irons. For most amateurs, the long irons are the toughest clubs to hit, thus the rescue clubs/lofted fairway woods that are being used so much these days.
    Old 07-14-2008, 04:14 PM   #43
    Bron Yr Aur

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    this is why im so happy i have a natural power draw, but i used to have a slice. First off, most ppl who play the ball inside their right heel play it to far up in the stance to moving it back could help. if the ball is too far up u end up cutting acrossed it which means slice. The book theory is one way to go and should fix it. Another thing could be ur backswing. I can't tell u how many people i see who think they have to John Daly the ball and take the club way to far back. Once again this results in a way out of control swing and most likely an awful slice or snaphook. My advice is to take the club more upright on ur backswing. As someone said before its the outside in motion that produces it. Anyone who says play ur slice isn't serious about golf. If u had a natural fade then thats a different story, but a slice and fade are different. hope this helped
    More upright? What do you mean. I would say this is bad advice, generally speaking. An extended, wide backswing is what I've always been told. For me, I can get too carried away with it and start hooking the ball, but generally speaking when I'm not making solid contact, taking the club away wide and a little more slowly really helps.
    Old 07-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #44
    jiggajm18
    Joe

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    do not listen to this advice if you want to fix a slice.
    Old 07-14-2008, 05:52 PM   #45
    jiggajm18
    Joe

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well if there is a 25 percent chance im slicing my Driver then ill take the 3 iron. Especially since I know I can hit another good 3 iron for my 2nd shot.
    i'll take an 8 iron from the rough over a 3 iron from the fairway every day of the week.
    Old 07-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #46
    haildmb
    I <3 Seattle too

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 View Post
    are you slicing left or right?
    There is no slicing left and right--unless you're really asking what handed is he, which seems kind of silly. Slice is outward spin (away from your body), hook or draw is inward spin (toward your body).
    Old 07-14-2008, 08:52 PM   #47
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

My Tour Central Stats

alot of ppl said the upright backswing is a bad idea and i don't think people are understanding what i mean. A slice is caused by a backswing to the outside and a follow thru to the inside. by upright i mean straightening out ur left arm (right handed golfers) on the backswing and keeping it on a normal plane as opposed to coming back to the outside. To the OP, if u have any idea what kind of swing speed u have, if u have a higher swing speed then u definitley need a stiff shafted driver. also i would never get anything from walmart for golf. find a local golf galaxy, they have some good ass drivers used from a few years ago super cheap
    Old 07-14-2008, 09:16 PM   #48
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jiggajm18 View Post
    i'll take an 8 iron from the rough over a 3 iron from the fairway every day of the week.
    So are you saying to avoid using a 3 iron all together? Serious question, because I'm looking at getting an iron set and was contemplating getting 4-SW instead of 3-PW.

I was taking some swings in the yard today (without hitting anything) and trying to analyze what might be wrong. I think my shoulders might be a little open towards where I'm aiming and I don't think I'm rotating my hands through enough on the downswing, which seems like it's causing my club face to stay open a bit. At least that's what it seems like when I go through things in slow motion. I've have to try and get out to the range later this week, although, it's supposed to be 90's and high humidity, so I might have to pass.
    Old 07-14-2008, 09:19 PM   #49
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    alot of ppl said the upright backswing is a bad idea and i don't think people are understanding what i mean. A slice is caused by a backswing to the outside and a follow thru to the inside. by upright i mean straightening out ur left arm (right handed golfers) on the backswing and keeping it on a normal plane as opposed to coming back to the outside. To the OP, if u have any idea what kind of swing speed u have, if u have a higher swing speed then u definitley need a stiff shafted driver. also i would never get anything from walmart for golf. find a local golf galaxy, they have some good ass drivers used from a few years ago super cheap
    I'd say my swing speed is pretty normal. I've never gone in to get that sort of stuff checked, but I'm not Tiger Woods. I was just reading that not many people have a swing speed fast enough for stiff, so regular is pretty much the way to go for amateurs. Not sure how true that is or not, but I just read it.
    Old 07-14-2008, 10:57 PM   #50
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

My Tour Central Stats

^
    ok, then i'd say if u have a golf galaxy or anything near by, definitley check it out. I know that they have a facility there similar to dicks but more in depth, it shows ur swing speed and everything and they usually have people who know what they are talking about there. what u said about get ur hands turned over can be very true, u said u can hit ur irons but not ur driver. Try taking the same swing with both clubs. I know this may sound elementary, but alot of people will have sound iron swings and then get crazy with their driver for some odd reason. Good luck at the range
    Old 07-15-2008, 05:57 AM   #51
    jiggajm18
    Joe

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    So are you saying to avoid using a 3 iron all together? Serious question, because I'm looking at getting an iron set and was contemplating getting 4-SW instead of 3-PW.

I was taking some swings in the yard today (without hitting anything) and trying to analyze what might be wrong. I think my shoulders might be a little open towards where I'm aiming and I don't think I'm rotating my hands through enough on the downswing, which seems like it's causing my club face to stay open a bit. At least that's what it seems like when I go through things in slow motion. I've have to try and get out to the range later this week, although, it's supposed to be 90's and high humidity, so I might have to pass.
    if i were you, i'd get a hybrid/rescue club in replace of the 3-iron. i don't care what rickyh says, i'd bet my money that it's a difficult club for any amateur to hit. if you're in the rough, forget about it, you can't hit a 3-iron. if you're in the rough with a hybrid, though, you can most likely get out. i'd recommend having the following 13 clubs: driver, 3 and 5 wood, hybrid (to replace the 3-iron), irons 4 - PW, SW, LW.

also, the bolded part would definitly cause a fade or slice.
    Old 07-17-2008, 03:20 PM   #52
    thehoss
    AP#46

Shows Seen: 126

DMB Hub Stubs: 34

My Tour Central Stats

just wanted to throw it out there. i got my first eagle in my career today. about a 423 yard par 4, driver, and 8 iron. one bounce, and bam, right in the cup. anyone got a great story about an ace or an eagle they've gotten? i always told myself what the hell the big deal was about an eagle, but as soon as i knew it went in the cup, i sprinted down the fairway like a little kid, haha. something ill never forget in my life..
    Old 07-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #53
    ryangibson

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone see where those 9 and 11 year old brothers hit back to back aces at Sawgrass?

ryangibson is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2008, 03:33 PM   #54
    JRod1229
    GATA!

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thehoss View Post
    just wanted to throw it out there. i got my first eagle in my career today. about a 423 yard par 4, driver, and 8 iron. one bounce, and bam, right in the cup. anyone got a great story about an ace or an eagle they've gotten? i always told myself what the hell the big deal was about an eagle, but as soon as i knew it went in the cup, i sprinted down the fairway like a little kid, haha. something ill never forget in my life..
    My first eagle was still my favorite... back in the day when I was struggling to break 45 for nine.... prob 13 or 14... 400 tight par 4... starting hole, hit driver to about 150.. 8 iron short and bounces up and roles in... was pretty awesome feeling... I've made quite a few eagles since then, but that one was my favorite, and prob always will be, unless I get an ace...

Quote:
    There ain't nothing like being a bulldog on a Saturday Night... after winning a football game. I mean like whipping Tennessee's ass to start with, then ten more, then another one. This is the Game Plan. We have no alternative plan.
    - The legendary Erk Russell
    JRod1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #55
    thehoss
    AP#46

My Tour Central Stats

the best part about it, was the old timers behind us, watched me as i hit the ball, and then sprint directly to the pin with my arm up. they came over to congradulate me, figuring it was for eagle, and it say how they were glad to see people my age having fun like that on a golf course. where i did this, its a local 9 hole course, in no way is it easy, but its just not like some other courses around where i live, not as nice as others. so they appreciated seeing the fun, rather than a guy wearing a rolex, who just made his 4th .eagle in as many days. that really made me feel good.

How many eagles do you have now j-rod? how long have you been playing for?
    Old 07-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #56
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

I was talking with my club pro on the range the other day and he told me something very interesting. The driver reflects the flaws in your swing more than your irons because of the distance it travels. Basically, you aren't hitting your irons near as well as you think you are.
    dmbmuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2008, 06:14 PM   #57
    thehoss
    AP#46

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbmuskie View Post
    I was talking with my club pro on the range the other day and he told me something very interesting. The driver reflects the flaws in your swing more than your irons because of the distance it travels. Basically, you aren't hitting your irons near as well as you think you are.
    it indeed does. which is why i never understood when people just dont ever use their drivers. if you're even semi-serious about becoming a decent golfer, fix it, don't just leave the problem in the wind.
    Old 07-17-2008, 06:47 PM   #58
    mr. testaverde
    King of Prussia

Shows Seen: 58

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    anyone got a great story about an ace or an eagle they've gotten?
    my first eagle was a couple of years ago. i was on a par 5, about 500 yards. i hit a booming drive right down the fairway, and followed that up with a great 7 iron that stopped about a foot from the cup. i was juuuust a little nervous with that putt . i called my dad right after i made it, to tell him the news, because he got me into the game about 20 years ago.
    Old 07-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #59
    jiggajm18
    Joe

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    it indeed does. which is why i never understood when people just dont ever use their drivers. if you're even semi-serious about becoming a decent golfer, fix it, don't just leave the problem in the wind.

unless the hole is really, really tight/dangerous or i am extremely nervous, i hit driver on every par 4 and 5. why not? my mis-hit with my driver goes at least 30 yards than my perfectly struck 3-wood. i'll always take a PW out of the rough over a 7 iron in the fairway.
    Old 07-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #60
    milo420dmb

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

i was able to get rid of my slice by 1) slowing my back swing down a little which mad me transfer my weight at the right time 2) and i bought myself the driver and 5-iron with the hinge at the bottom (name escapes me at the moment)

i went from a 15 handicap to around a 10 in 1 summer with that club...