Will the Dave Matthews Band make the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame in 2018? - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: Will the Dave Matthews Band make the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame?
Yes 225 57.69%
No 165 42.31%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2017, 11:07 PM   #91
TrippinNancies1
Slippin slow away...

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Will the Dave Matthews Band make the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame in 2018?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
Assuming they do 3-4 songs, what are they going to play?

I'd assume Ants Marching, Grey Street, Crash Into Me for sure. Then maybe another one.
A single, long, badass performance of Bartender would show everyone in that room why they deserve to be in there

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-28-2017, 09:05 AM   #92
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    They absolutely deserve it given what they've achieved, but I would be utterly shocked if DMB got in the HoF. Especially on their first year of eligibility.
    Why would you be "utterly shocked?" They've sold 50 million albums, they've had a record setting 6 records debut at #1 on the Billboard charts, they're one of the most successful touring bands of all time, they've received 14 Grammy nominations, they're respected by legends like Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, the Rolling Stones, etc, they're arguably the second most successful "jam band" of all time and they haven't said or done anything to piss off the hall's executives. They're easily one of the most successful bands from their era. I'm not sure why anyone would be flabbergasted or shocked to see them in the hall; they have a stellar resume.
    Old 08-30-2017, 10:47 AM   #93
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    Why would you be "utterly shocked?" They've sold 50 million albums, they've had a record setting 6 records debut at #1 on the Billboard charts, they're one of the most successful touring bands of all time, they've received 14 Grammy nominations, they're respected by legends like Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, the Rolling Stones, etc, they're arguably the second most successful "jam band" of all time and they haven't said or done anything to piss off the hall's executives. They're easily one of the most successful bands from their era. I'm not sure why anyone would be flabbergasted or shocked to see them in the hall; they have a stellar resume.
    If you read the first sentence of my post, I stated that they absolutely deserve it based on their resume, which I'm well aware of. However I think people on this site have a really skewed view of how DMB is perceived/respected amongst the type of industry folks that make up the RnR Hall of Fame. Despite all they've achieved, the general view of DMB from those types of people is that they're a "90's band." From a lot of people's perspectives DMB is lumped in more with bands like Hootie and the Blowfish or Blues Traveler or the Gin Blossoms than they are as a massive, genre defining act.

Not saying that is right or correct, but they get basically zero love or respect from a critical and music industry standpoint, and those are the people that control the HoF. That's why I'd be shocked if they got in, especially on the first year of eligibility. It's not that they don't deserve it or I don't want to see it, but if you look at the HoF's history and how things work, it doesn't seem likely to me.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-30-2017, 11:09 AM   #94
    axelrod

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you read the first sentence of my post, I stated that they absolutely deserve it based on their resume, which I'm well aware of. However I think people on this site have a really skewed view of how DMB is perceived/respected amongst the type of industry folks that make up the RnR Hall of Fame. Despite all they've achieved, the general view of DMB from those types of people is that they're a "90's band." From a lot of people's perspectives DMB is lumped in more with bands like Hootie and the Blowfish or Blues Traveler or the Gin Blossoms than they are as a massive, genre defining act.

Not saying that is right or correct, but they get basically zero love or respect from a critical and music industry standpoint, and those are the people that control the HoF. That's why I'd be shocked if they got in, especially on the first year of eligibility. It's not that they don't deserve it or I don't want to see it, but if you look at the HoF's history and how things work, it doesn't seem likely to me.
    You could say the same thing about Pearl Jam if you wanted to... who just got inducted
    axelrod is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-30-2017, 11:18 AM   #95
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

My Tour Central Stats

I think many people outside of devoted DMB fans see the band and its legacy like this: http://music.avclub.com/is-dave-matt...-an-1798274742

Quote:
    ... It is extremely difficult to evaluate this record without the taint of what followed in its 20-year aftermath—college dorms plagued with persistent infections of tedious jam bands such as O.A.R.; nauseatingly smooth adult contemporary goobers from Jason Mraz to John Mayer; and, as everyone here as aptly referenced, fan-boys who casually name-dropped “Dave” as if he was a co-worker at Blockbuster with a sweet crash pad and a solid weed hook-up.
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-30-2017, 12:23 PM   #96
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by axelrod View Post
    You could say the same thing about Pearl Jam if you wanted to... who just got inducted
    I think Pearl Jam as really transcended the '90s' and 'grunge' labels. They've really become the torch-bearers for sort of classicist, traditional rock music. I don't think the establishment views them as a purely '90's band' anymore.

DMB does, unfortunately, get that stigma. Not saying they deserve it or that it's correct, but people who aren't DMB fans view them that way.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:30 PM   #97
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
    I think many people outside of devoted DMB fans see the band and its legacy like this: http://music.avclub.com/is-dave-matt...-an-1798274742

That article, sadly, is pretty much how they are viewed.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:32 PM   #98
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

My Tour Central Stats

no, the way they are viewed is "those guys that made a shit ton of money when nobody else had figured out that constant touring was the way to do so in a rapidly changing industry"

and that kind of thing is exactly what gets you into the RRHOF
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-30-2017, 12:34 PM   #99
    snake911

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Count me in the "totally shocked if they get in in 2018" camp. I'm guessing they are viewed like an Iron Maiden type group. tons of albums that sold well, lots and lots and lots of great live tours, very little radio and TV support and therefore you dont get in. Maiden has been eligible for over a decade and they still arent in. I suppose some of it has to do with the type of acts available because they try to balance the list of inductees to not be too heavy in any one area. Who else is becoming eligible in 2018?
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-30-2017, 12:36 PM   #100
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

If Kiss eventually got in, DMB should have no problem getting in, in a timely manner.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-30-2017, 12:38 PM   #101
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

To me DMB is bigger than a lot of those "just 90s" bands. I mean the band was headlining and selling out major league baseball stadiums in 2010...almost 20 years after they formed. When was the last time Blues Traveller even headlined a show?
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-30-2017, 12:42 PM   #102
    Klize17

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snake911 View Post
    Count me in the "totally shocked if they get in in 2018" camp. I'm guessing they are viewed like an Iron Maiden type group. tons of albums that sold well, lots and lots and lots of great live tours, very little radio and TV support and therefore you dont get in. Maiden has been eligible for over a decade and they still arent in. I suppose some of it has to do with the type of acts available because they try to balance the list of inductees to not be too heavy in any one area. Who else is becoming eligible in 2018?
    DMB was all over the radio and TV until about 2005
    Klize17 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-30-2017, 12:50 PM   #103
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    To me DMB is bigger than a lot of those "just 90s" bands. I mean the band was headlining and selling out major league baseball stadiums in 2010...almost 20 years after they formed. When was the last time Blues Traveller even headlined a show?
    They are WAY bigger than those bands. But we're talking about the way they are perceived by the industry, critics, etc. Those are the people who matter when it comes to the HoF. DMB is in no way viewed as a legendary, game changing band.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #104
    Sniper15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
    I don't think hall voters care that DMB influenced a lot of "white guy with an acoustic guitar bands." I can't see a voter saying, "DMB was one of the most successful bands of their era, but I'm not voting for those fuckers because they're responsible for O.A.R and Howie Day getting a record deal. That song about crazy poker games is shit! Fuck you DMB for allowing that shit to reach my ears!" You really think some people harbor vitriol against DMB because they made it easier for: John Mayer, Jason Mraz, Jack Johnson, Matt Nathanson, Dispatch, Michael Franti, G.Love, etc. to acquire a following?
    Old 08-30-2017, 01:06 PM   #105
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They are WAY bigger than those bands. But we're talking about the way they are perceived by the industry, critics, etc. Those are the people who matter when it comes to the HoF. DMB is in no way viewed as a legendary, game changing band.
    The flaw in your argument is the HoF is starting to run out of transcendent legendary acts to induct. DMB has the credentials to be enshrined in a timely manner.

In his induction speech, Mike McCready made light of the fact he was approached by HoF people for ideas of bands to induct.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-30-2017, 01:09 PM   #106
    snake911

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Klize17 View Post
    DMB was all over the radio and TV until about 2005
    WE might be using different definitions about what "all over the radio" means. They barely cracked the rock top 10 for a single 3 times, never a #1 single. For a band as great as they are musically, their radio and TV support has been pretty minimal.
    Old 08-30-2017, 03:29 PM   #107
    dmbcriggidy

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

If they don't then the entire process is a joke. Kind of like the Grammys. You mean to tell me this band doesn't deserve more than they have?
    dmbcriggidy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-31-2017, 07:28 AM   #108
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    WE might be using different definitions about what "all over the radio" means. They barely cracked the rock top 10 for a single 3 times, never a #1 single. For a band as great as they are musically, their radio and TV support has been pretty minimal.
    Yeah but Zeppelin never had a #1 single because they never released singles so that can't be the entirety of that argument.
    Old 08-31-2017, 07:59 AM   #109
    axelrod

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah but Zeppelin never had a #1 single because they never released singles so that can't be the entirety of that argument.
    To me, Zeppelin is the greatest band of all time (with the greatest song of all time). So, yeah who cares about singles.
    axelrod is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-31-2017, 12:34 PM   #110
    snake911

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Certainly there is no exact science to the HoF, but I would say Zeppelin to DMB is not apples to apples. Zeppelin didnt release singles and still had/has tons of radio play, DMB did release singles and wasn't as embraced by radio programming. Zeppelin is one of few bands that you can look at and say music was different before and after them. I don't think DMB, as great and groundbreaking as they are/were, has had near the same impact on music as a whole. Not where you say music before DMB was a different place than music after DMB. When you look at the list of successful groups that didn't get in their first year of eligibility (Queen, Aerosmith, AC/DC, RHCP) I don't think DMB looks very promising for a first year nomination, let alone actual induction. Those 600 "rock experts" have made some bizarre choices over the years.
    Old 08-31-2017, 01:00 PM   #111
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Certainly there is no exact science to the HoF, but I would say Zeppelin to DMB is not apples to apples. Zeppelin didnt release singles and still had/has tons of radio play, DMB did release singles and wasn't as embraced by radio programming. Zeppelin is one of few bands that you can look at and say music was different before and after them. I don't think DMB, as great and groundbreaking as they are/were, has had near the same impact on music as a whole. Not where you say music before DMB was a different place than music after DMB. When you look at the list of successful groups that didn't get in their first year of eligibility (Queen, Aerosmith, AC/DC, RHCP) I don't think DMB looks very promising for a first year nomination, let alone actual induction. Those 600 "rock experts" have made some bizarre choices over the years.
    I definitely agree. I was just playing devil's advocate to the singles argument.
    Old 08-31-2017, 01:04 PM   #112
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

My Tour Central Stats

Impact, legacy and influence absolutely matter.

All three are reasons Nirvana made it in their first year of eligibility.
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-31-2017, 06:01 PM   #113
    snake911

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I definitely agree. I was just playing devil's advocate to the singles argument.
    Word. Zeppelins a pretty unique case. And to be sure, DMB absolutely deserves a first year induction. They just don't seem to be very fairly regarded by the mainstream in terms of their talent and impact.
    Old 09-01-2017, 08:38 AM   #114
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by axelrod View Post
    To me, Zeppelin is the greatest band of all time (with the greatest song of all time). So, yeah who cares about singles.
    What song?
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    aeroshady is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-01-2017, 09:39 AM   #115
    dmbfan4ever
    IamwhoiamwhoamI

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

DMB in many ways have, on their own, distorted the perception of themselves. The catalogue of singles they have put out since Everyday has showcased their poppy/teenage/soft rock side, and the multi-faceted, skilled, and dynamic band we love and see at concerts and in their first 3 albums are just not what people know of this band. So they definitely deserve to be in the hall of fame, I just don't know how anyone would know it.
    Old 09-01-2017, 09:46 AM   #116
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbfan4ever View Post
    DMB in many ways have, on their own, distorted the perception of themselves. The catalogue of singles they have put out since Everyday has showcased their poppy/teenage/soft rock side, and the multi-faceted, skilled, and dynamic band we love and see at concerts and in their first 3 albums are just not what people know of this band. So they definitely deserve to be in the hall of fame, I just don't know how anyone would know it.
    If we're just looking at singles... the majority of them (including those from the big 3) have been more on the 'poppy/soft rock side'. I think the only exception might be DDTW.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-01-2017, 06:56 PM   #117
    Sniper15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    When you look at the list of successful groups that didn't get in their first year of eligibility (Queen, Aerosmith, AC/DC, RHCP) I don't think DMB looks very promising for a first year nomination, let alone actual induction. Those 600 "rock experts" have made some bizarre choices over the years.
    It's a lot easier for bands to get in during their first year of eligibility now though since most of the true legends have already been enshrined. DMB isn't competing against artist like U2, Bob Marley, Led Zeppelin, etc. If you look at the list of major bands that haven't been inducted, there are very few bands that have resumes that are infinitely superior to DMB's.
    Old 09-01-2017, 09:34 PM   #118
    snake911

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    It's a lot easier for bands to get in during their first year of eligibility now though since most of the true legends have already been enshrined. DMB isn't competing against artist like U2, Bob Marley, Led Zeppelin, etc. If you look at the list of major bands that haven't been inducted, there are very few bands that have resumes that are infinitely superior to DMB's.
    True, but you still have bands like The Cure, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins that aren't in, Garth Brooks isn't in, Trent Reznor isn't in (a major oversight IMO), dark horse picks like The Flaming Lips, Faith No More and Dinosaur Jr (all of which belong in a R&R HoF) aren't in. And between now and then Radiohead, Beck, Tool, RATM, Dr Dre as a solo artist, and STP will all become eligible. It's not like being up against U2 or Pink Floyd, buts it's still very well known and marketable names.
    Old 09-02-2017, 12:08 AM   #119
    Mickey Carson

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

It's going to come down to what the nominating committee thinks, and if DMB can make it to the short list. At least there are a few people on the nominating committee who should be in DMB's corner like musicians who have played with the band (e.g. Morello, Questlove) and committee members who are clearly fans (e.g. Paul Shaffer). However, the majority of people on the committee are music critics/insiders, which makes DMB's path a little uncertain. DMB hasn't exactly been a critical darling by any means.

When DMB becomes eligible, there are several hip-hop/rap acts that will get a good look (Outkast, Wu-Tang Clan, and Snoop Dogg). Probably a long shot for 2 of those 3 acts to get in together though. Beck and Sheryl Crow will be eligible alongside DMB and probably have a good shot to get in. Shania Twain becomes eligible as well, but the committee doesn't seem to consider country acts at all (Garth Brooks, Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline, and Dolly Parton are not in).

The bottom line is that it's tough to predict. There are plenty of really popular bands who aren't in (e.g. Jon Bon Jovi) and influential bands that aren't in (The Cars, Dire Straits, The Zombies, etc.). Plus, there are plenty of popular '90s bands that have never even been nominated: Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, etc.
    Mickey Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #120
    420th jimi
    West Coast LoVE!

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigeyedpigs View Post
    Saw rage a handful of times, maybe a bit more, one being Woodstock. They aren't anything special.