**Official Running Thread** - Page 106 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 08-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #3151
laura22

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **Official Running Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
^I actually went for my first run in over a week and I didn't experience any pain, so I'm hoping whatever I inflamed/pulled/angered is no longer whatever it was.

When is Chicago...I'm assuming you mean the Chicago Marathon.

yuppppp

and congrats!! that's good. take it easy
laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-15-2017, 06:05 AM   #3152
    Timebomb07

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I've never been in 'running' shape. Going to try something new, because just saying "I'm gonna start running" hasn't done shit for me.

My goal: Increase 1 mile each week until the end of the year. Week 1 was last week, only got around to running 5 miles (total).

First 1 1/2 - 2 months shouldn't be too bad, but by the end of October, I'll be doing 13-15 miles a week, which will force me to extend individual runs to about 3-4 miles each. That will increase to 5-7 miles by the end of the year.
    Timebomb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2017, 08:01 AM   #3153
    jayman414
    GO PACK GO

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I am about a week and a half away from the Toughest Mudder Midwest, which is an 8 hour overnight race. Each lap is 5 miles and runners have the 8 hours to complete as many laps as possible. This is a step down from their 24 hours World's Toughest Mudder. I am aiming for about 25 miles and the biggest concern I have going into the race is what I will eat during the race to keep fueled. Looking forward to another Tough Mudder and taking this big leap towards a longer race.

jayman414 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2017, 08:54 AM   #3154
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

May have figured out why my body refuses to let me run any kind of distance or speed.

On Friday nite I had an "emergency" massage session because of some back/neck pain. I asked my massage therapist to work on my calves too and after it was over she asked if I woke up feel like crap every day? I said no, not really but I feel stiff.

She said that in her 7 years of work that I'm one of the tightest people she's ever worked on. She said at one point she was going to ask me to stop flexing my calves but realized my foot was limp and that my calves are just that tight.

Per her recommendation, I've started doing yoga every night and doing some "desk-ercise" to help keep me loose while I work all day.

I'm really hoping the yoga loosens me up enough to start getting serious about my running again. I miss doing more than just 2.5 miles a few times a week.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2017, 09:33 AM   #3155
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timebomb07 View Post
    I've never been in 'running' shape. Going to try something new, because just saying "I'm gonna start running" hasn't done shit for me.

My goal: Increase 1 mile each week until the end of the year. Week 1 was last week, only got around to running 5 miles (total).

First 1 1/2 - 2 months shouldn't be too bad, but by the end of October, I'll be doing 13-15 miles a week, which will force me to extend individual runs to about 3-4 miles each. That will increase to 5-7 miles by the end of the year.
    That is great to hear Mitch. The key is proper build up, taking days off to recover, and not every day should be the same effort or distance. You should have easy days, shorter run days (maybe a little quicker pace), longer run days (comfortable pace), and if you have a track close by do some speed work. Oh, and stay hydrated. The humidity has been pretty brutal this week.
    Old 08-15-2017, 09:35 AM   #3156
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    May have figured out why my body refuses to let me run any kind of distance or speed.

On Friday nite I had an "emergency" massage session because of some back/neck pain. I asked my massage therapist to work on my calves too and after it was over she asked if I woke up feel like crap every day? I said no, not really but I feel stiff.

She said that in her 7 years of work that I'm one of the tightest people she's ever worked on. She said at one point she was going to ask me to stop flexing my calves but realized my foot was limp and that my calves are just that tight.

Per her recommendation, I've started doing yoga every night and doing some "desk-ercise" to help keep me loose while I work all day.

I'm really hoping the yoga loosens me up enough to start getting serious about my running again. I miss doing more than just 2.5 miles a few times a week.
    Some of my runner friends get massages every month to work out the kinks and knicks that come with running. Also helps to flush out the toxins and acid build up in the muscles. Hope that the exercises and yoga do the trick.
    Old 08-15-2017, 10:33 AM   #3157
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    That is great to hear Mitch. The key is proper build up, taking days off to recover, and not every day should be the same effort or distance. You should have easy days, shorter run days (maybe a little quicker pace), longer run days (comfortable pace), and if you have a track close by do some speed work. Oh, and stay hydrated. The humidity has been pretty brutal this week.
    Absolutely. Sound and logical advice. I did 2 miles Sunday night and 2 miles last night. Gonna be an off day for me today from a cardio standpoint and focus my efforts on a lift session.

Definitely going to keep my runs varied - mix of track, street and treadmill - and at various distances based on where I'm at that day and if I'm lifting or not.
    Old 08-16-2017, 07:51 AM   #3158
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post

Totally sounds like she was flirting with you. Should have asked her how tight she was and winked.

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showp...stcount=126148
    JRS1386 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2017, 11:19 AM   #3159
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRS1386 View Post
    Totally sounds like she was flirting with you. Should have asked her how tight she was and winked.

I did notice she was really working my glutes.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2017, 11:24 AM   #3160
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRS1386 View Post
    This is so inappropriate. I almost burst out laughing at my desk.
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-17-2017, 06:05 AM   #3161
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I fucking hate summer

Just got done with my run fast workout...3.1 miles. When I got home, checked the weather. 77 degrees, 87% humidity, no wind, no clouds. No wonder I was close to vomiting.
    MDPrompter is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #3162
    rustysurf83

My Tour Central Stats

Wife is doing a six person 200 mile relay that goes from Spokane to Sandpoint, ID this weekend. Hopefully once I pick up my daughters from camp, we can make it out to at least the finish line.
    rustysurf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #3163
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

when marathon training, how many times do you do 20+ miler runs before the race?
    Old 08-28-2017, 01:19 PM   #3164
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

i feel like for my first marathon, 20 milers were important for me mentally. but after completing 5 full races, that benefit is wearing off . i didn't hit a mental block for my last marathon in march, nor did i hit one for my 20 miler a few weeks ago. im wondering how important it is physically- versus the consequences of multiple 20 milers (wear and tear, injuries, over doing it, etc)
    Old 08-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #3165
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

How long does it take to be able to run 20+ miles? I can't even imagine haha.

Ran my first 3.1 and felt pretty good, but definitely tired.
    Old 08-28-2017, 05:10 PM   #3166
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    How long does it take to be able to run 20+ miles? I can't even imagine haha.

Ran my first 3.1 and felt pretty good, but definitely tired.
    I've never done a full. But I've done several half marathons. I remember when I started running, the hardest part was getting to 3 miles. After that, I was able to increase a mile a week to 6, and then 2 miles a week to 12...with a week or two off in there to recover. one pitfall I made was not doing heavy squats a couple times a month. Ended up with pretty painful/annoying IT band issues.
    Old 08-28-2017, 06:34 PM   #3167
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdmarvich View Post
    I've never done a full. But I've done several half marathons. I remember when I started running, the hardest part was getting to 3 miles. After that, I was able to increase a mile a week to 6, and then 2 miles a week to 12...with a week or two off in there to recover. one pitfall I made was not doing heavy squats a couple times a month. Ended up with pretty painful/annoying IT band issues.
    Interesting. I plan on getting 3 or 4 three-miles runs in over the next couple of weeks, so hopefully I'll hit a couple of four/five-mile runs by the end of September. Just feels like running beyond that is

Again, I've never actually tried running outside of conditioning for sports, so this is all new to me haha.

Going to sign up for a couple of 5ks this fall (if I find some) and then maybe a 10k in the spring. Would love to get a 1/2 done in June out in San Diego.
    Old 08-28-2017, 07:05 PM   #3168
    rustysurf83

My Tour Central Stats

**Official Running Thread**

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laura22 View Post
    when marathon training, how many times do you do 20+ miler runs before the race?

Zero. I have never done a training run in excess of 15 miles. I think for non-elite runners, that time is better spent doing tempo runs, intervals, and strength training among other things. I firmly believe that my low training mileage and emphasis on strength training is what allows me to complete some of these fairly silly races, not only injury free, but with the ability to function normally a couple days later.

Last edited by rustysurf83; 08-28-2017 at 07:06 PM.
    rustysurf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2017, 07:33 PM   #3169
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Interesting. I plan on getting 3 or 4 three-miles runs in over the next couple of weeks, so hopefully I'll hit a couple of four/five-mile runs by the end of September. Just feels like running beyond that is

Again, I've never actually tried running outside of conditioning for sports, so this is all new to me haha.

Going to sign up for a couple of 5ks this fall (if I find some) and then maybe a 10k in the spring. Would love to get a 1/2 done in June out in San Diego.
    For me, the first two miles suck, and just feel like a grind. After that I settle in, assuming it's not too hot, and then it becomes more of a meditation
    Old 08-29-2017, 07:17 AM   #3170
    jayman414
    GO PACK GO

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Had the 8 hour overnight Toughest Mudder Midwest over the weekend and I was able to do 25 miles in about 6.5 hours. I had another 2 hours left to finish another lap but it was just starting to pour and I decided against going out for another 5 mile lap. After cramping up and vomiting at the Chicago Marathon last year, getting over the 20 mile mark and feeling good was a huge relief and a mental hurdle to clear. The obstacles definitely added a challenge to running for such a long time. Overall, I am incredibly proud of myself for completing something like this and finishing 37th out 144 in my age range. My body hated me today at the gym but still have one more race in a few weeks to get ready for.

jayman414 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-29-2017, 07:48 AM   #3171
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Some interesting perspective from one of the top coaches in the US ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO1hQ_kplgo
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2017, 07:02 AM   #3172
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rustysurf83 View Post
    Zero. I have never done a training run in excess of 15 miles. I think for non-elite runners, that time is better spent doing tempo runs, intervals, and strength training among other things. I firmly believe that my low training mileage and emphasis on strength training is what allows me to complete some of these fairly silly races, not only injury free, but with the ability to function normally a couple days later.
    i like this approach a lot

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Some interesting perspective from one of the top coaches in the US ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO1hQ_kplgo

easy 13 this morning. ive entered the taper
    Old 10-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #3173
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

awful race weekend. no PR but i got a PW i think God is telling me that 2018 should be a break from marathons. learn to admire the shorter distances- maybe a spring/fall half and a few 5ks sprinkled throughout he year.

i woke up sunday (race morning) with a pounding headache, achey legs/back, fatigue. wasn't sure if it was nerves or if i caught some sort of a virus. what are you to do at that point anyways, when you flew to run the race? i told myself i'd go easy, absolutely no expectations, just enjoy the race

my headache persisted for the ~2hrs we had to hang out at the corral. i started running at 8am. felt out of breath at mile 1. this has never happened to me before. if there had been a half marathon race going on simultaneously, i would have stopped then. if i had seen my boyfriend cheering in the crowds, i would have walked off the course with him

i realize now it was the wrong decision to keep running but i kept running. or more accurately, doing the marathon shuffle for the last hour. with 400m left to go, a man asked me, "are you alright??". i didn't understand why he was asking me that. dude, im almost at the finish line. well, as soon as i crossed, i started to projectile vomit everywhere. like, 4 times repeatedly. all of the water/gatorade for the last 4+ hours. my body was so dehydrated. felt too nauseous to eat

i had a fever the next 2 days. feeling better now, feeling stupid for running. live and learn

out of all 6 of these marathons, the 2 worst experiences have been chicago, one of the easiest/flattest courses in the world . i am officially retiring from ever running the chicago marathon again!!

Last edited by laura22; 10-10-2017 at 02:38 PM.
    Old 10-10-2017, 02:38 PM   #3174
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

but AWESOME day for america. galen rupp winning the race, first american to win since 2002!!

jordan hasey (my homegirl) becoming the 2nd fastest american marathoner and she's only 26
    Old 10-10-2017, 03:06 PM   #3175
    TrampledUnderw.

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Laura congrats on finishing!! I understand that stopping might have been a better decision but after months of training and training, and flying out, not finishing would have been a huuuge bummer.

What surprised me was how fun the whole event was. Runners and spectators were having a great time for the most part. I'd go up again for it again (to spectate )
    TrampledUnderw. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #3176
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    but AWESOME day for america. galen rupp winning the race, first american to win since 2002!!

jordan hasey (my homegirl) becoming the 2nd fastest american marathoner and she's only 26

Go Laura, great job on finishing but sorry to hear it wasn't a good experience for you. Rupp's ability to drop the East Africans was unlike anything I've ever seen an American do, he just turned the switch and started running sub 4:30 miles at mile 23 or so!!
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-10-2017, 06:32 PM   #3177
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

So I started running back in May. My first run I could only make it a quarter mile before stopping to walk, which for me was super humbling because I could run about a 6:30 mile in my sleep in high school and I played football in college. Ten years later, I can't even make it past a quarter mile. I've worked up to 6 miles and a variety of distances/speeds in between, lost 30 pounds, and will be running my first official 5K in a few weeks. I did a trial 5K two weeks ago and hit 25 minutes flat, which to me was incredible considering where I was this spring. I don't think I'll ever go past 10 miles, but it's nice to be in shape and feeling healthy again.
    mthawk07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-11-2017, 05:22 AM   #3178
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrampledUnderw. View Post
    Laura congrats on finishing!! I understand that stopping might have been a better decision but after months of training and training, and flying out, not finishing would have been a huuuge bummer.

What surprised me was how fun the whole event was. Runners and spectators were having a great time for the most part. I'd go up again for it again (to spectate )
    totally forgot you were there! your gf ran, right? how did she like it? can she walk down stairs yet? think she'll run another one?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Go Laura, great job on finishing but sorry to hear it wasn't a good experience for you. Rupp's ability to drop the East Africans was unlike anything I've ever seen an American do, he just turned the switch and started running sub 4:30 miles at mile 23 or so!!

thanks, i'm not that bummed, really happy the training is over. need a break from the rigorous training, gonna be a good winter of more yoga with some less structured running. take advantage of the extra time to do new stuff. i wanna snow shoe!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mthawk07 View Post
    So I started running back in May. My first run I could only make it a quarter mile before stopping to walk, which for me was super humbling because I could run about a 6:30 mile in my sleep in high school and I played football in college. Ten years later, I can't even make it past a quarter mile. I've worked up to 6 miles and a variety of distances/speeds in between, lost 30 pounds, and will be running my first official 5K in a few weeks. I did a trial 5K two weeks ago and hit 25 minutes flat, which to me was incredible considering where I was this spring. I don't think I'll ever go past 10 miles, but it's nice to be in shape and feeling healthy again.
    AWESOME job. love the perspective. for any runner, in any shape with whatever experience under their belt, you'll feel humbled
    Old 10-14-2017, 05:08 AM   #3179
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

feels good not waking up at 5am to chow down food for an early weekend long-run

heading to the gym shortly to use the... bike what is bike
    Old 10-24-2017, 08:10 AM   #3180
    redsox14

Shows Seen: 102

DMB Hub Stubs: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Ran my first half marathon on Sunday.

I ran it in 2:21. It was under my goal of 2:30 but I'm a little upset because my knee started to give out around mile 7 so my pace slowed down considerably. Maybe have hit 2:10 or so if it weren't for the knee.

Overall very happy though!

Jen
    redsox14 is offline   Reply With Quote