**Official Florida 2021 / Tampa & West Palm Beach** - Page 26 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-01-2021, 12:25 AM   #751
hettbeans

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **Official Florida 2021 / Tampa & West Palm Beach**

Had a blast tonight. I don't like Buddy playing violin on the keys.
hettbeans is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-01-2021, 02:48 AM   #752
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

After 120+ shows, finally made it to WPB. The last of the major venues for me (Sorry Hartford and Mansfield, so real interest in going). Night 1 was obviously disappointing setlist wise compared to the first 4 shows, but the first 2/3 of Night 2 compares favorably to any show I've ever been to (including my only pre-Everyday show, MSG, early 2000s Gorge and Red Rocks).
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2021, 05:57 AM   #753
    illinifan

Shows Seen: 59

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hettbeans View Post
    I think it was a good decision. Certain songs (Nancies) sounded very hollow without it.
    illinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2021, 06:58 AM   #754
    snapmcd
    Get gone

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Unpopular opinion: the beach balls are a pain in the ass. It's cute until the 30th time I get knocked in the head.

That said, we had a blast. Regretting not making Tampa happen but WPB might become a permanent addition to our roster.
    snapmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2021, 07:08 AM   #755
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

One thing I’ve come to learn quickly is you can’t expect Dave to write a N2 (or Gorge N3) set with all of the rare songs played on tour but not played at that venue yet. Thinking we’d get all of Stone, JTR, Hello Again, DIDO, SDL, etc was silly of me. But we did get some of it.

The lesson is never miss the mid week shows - they absolutely throw down in Tampa every year and it’s a blast. Alpharetta was excellent too.

WPB x2 was my least favorite of the opening run of shows because they were just so short. The band was rolling to 11pm no problem at the other venues. I don’t know if they are already worn out or if it was the heat or what. But a 10:33 end time two shows in a row is somewhat disappointing to me. The written setlists seemed shorter, yeah? More songs / etc in the other shows to me.
    Hahninator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2021, 07:18 AM   #756
    BigWhiskey1855
    Shake Me Like a Monkey!

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hahninator View Post
    One thing I’ve come to learn quickly is you can’t expect Dave to write a N2 (or Gorge N3) set with all of the rare songs played on tour but not played at that venue yet. Thinking we’d get all of Stone, JTR, Hello Again, DIDO, SDL, etc was silly of me. But we did get some of it.

The lesson is never miss the mid week shows - they absolutely throw down in Tampa every year and it’s a blast. Alpharetta was excellent too.

WPB x2 was my least favorite of the opening run of shows because they were just so short. The band was rolling to 11pm no problem at the other venues. I don’t know if they are already worn out or if it was the heat or what. But a 10:33 end time two shows in a row is somewhat disappointing to me. The written setlists seemed shorter, yeah? More songs / etc in the other shows to me.
    It will be interesting to see how they treat Chicago and Deer Creek time wise with the amount of time off they have leading up to those 2 night runs. Nearly 2 full work weeks off with the exception of Michigan.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Nashville '19, Deer Creek '21, Denver '21, Huntsville '22, Jacksonville '22, Deer Creek '22, Denver '22, Southaven '23, Nashville '23, Deer Creek '23
    BigWhiskey1855 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2021, 07:25 AM   #757
    Jh4124

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

The Stone outro from last night. iPhone from the front of the lawn. Sounded great all night, had a blast.
    https://youtu.be/gnF2RpisPW8
    Jh4124 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2021, 07:52 AM   #758
    ajjb21

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snapmcd View Post
    Unpopular opinion: the beach balls are a pain in the ass. It's cute until the 30th time I get knocked in the head.

That said, we had a blast. Regretting not making Tampa happen but WPB might become a permanent addition to our roster.
    This is not an unpopular opinion lol… they take away from the show. We were in Section 1 and a couple dudes in front of me killed about 3-4 of them, I thanked them!
    ajjb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2021, 08:07 AM   #759
    ajjb21

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hahninator View Post

We have done the FL run (Tampa, WPB) a few times and always had a better experience at WPB in the years we went to Tampa first because the shows have almost always been better in Tampa and it took pressure off of WPB having to be amazing.

This year solidified what you were saying for me, I have to go to Tampa every year… they just prove year after year that it’s a show worth adding.

That said Dave came out and wrote a pretty awesome set for N2…it made up for the mediocrity of N1 for me.
    ajjb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2021, 08:53 AM   #760
    joshg

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snapmcd View Post

Those beach balls have Covid on them.
    joshg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2021, 09:15 AM   #761
    littlest_viking
    Proud black sheep fan

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeekNancyUp View Post
    How was Stolen Away tonight? I love that song.
    I thought it was a very nice surprise. Granted most of the people in Section 4 had no idea what the song was.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hettbeans View Post
    I struggle man. I like Buddy, he's good at playing. But it just is not clicking for me with the band. I still strongly felt he could have jammed out on If Only when they played it in Tampa. I was having some Roger Smith flashbacks from 2012.

Overall not a bad weekend. I wish the women behind me last night would have not talked the entire show...
    Old 08-01-2021, 09:47 AM   #762
    Lefty1881

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Oh my god, driving around listening to WPB N1 on XM - the audible groan from the crowd when Where are you Going starts.. haaahahaha. Good job crowd. Sounded like a very fed up “uuuuhhg!” .
    Can’t do that to people Dave. It’s not an acoustic set at a coffee shop.
    Lefty1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2021, 10:01 AM   #763
    edskin

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kelchlsm View Post
    Good read, makes a friendly reminder that while we all fall victim of arm chair quarterbacking the setlists- when you’re at the show it’s just fun regardless

Also just a new era of the band. People can complain all they want there’s no violin, but these aren’t the 90s/00s anymore. Bands evolve over 20+ years and unfortunate circumstances came to light with Boyd and the band moved on.

It’s a new different sound these days and they’re certainly not 30 anymore. But it’s always fun to grab a beer and go to a dmb show outside come summer time regardless
    This. And honestly, there are things I like MORE about the band now than I did 20-25 years ago. Dirty little secret— I actually don’t listen to the pre-1998 stuff much anymore because I actually think the sound is a little too “simple” and I don’t like the jams as much. I think the band is more “powerful” now in many ways.

The clear negative trade off is that over the course of 30 years, a bands catalog is going to expand and expand. And there is no doubt that the songs Dave has written in the past 15 years or so are simply not to the standard of the first 15 years. I like a lot of them, but it’s just different.

Some of it of course is personal too. I was 18 years old at my first DMB show. Summer before college (Boomer Sooner). I’m 43 now with three kids. There is absolutely a nostalgia factor at play as well. Yeah, a set list in 2021 is gonna look a lot different than one from 1998 and if you’re an “old” fan you’re gonna have to sit through some song you may not adore.

At this stage of my life, I actually probably have MORE fun and appreciate the moment more than I did back in the day. Who knows how long it will continue. I know the day they hang it up will be a sad day for me, so I’ll keep going as long as they do.
    edskin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2021, 11:17 AM   #764
    joshg

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by littlest_viking View Post
    I thought it was a very nice surprise. Granted most of the people in Section 4 had no idea what the song was.

I struggle man. I like Buddy, he's good at playing. But it just is not clicking for me with the band. I still strongly felt he could have jammed out on If Only when they played it in Tampa. I was having some Roger Smith flashbacks from 2012.

Overall not a bad weekend. I wish the women behind me last night would have not talked the entire show...
    What was she talking about?
    joshg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2021, 01:08 PM   #765
    dmbolp
    GO GATORS!!!

Shows Seen: 150

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshg View Post
    What was she talking about?
    Talked about the weather
    dmbolp is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2021, 02:38 PM   #766
    littlest_viking
    Proud black sheep fan

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
    Talked about the weather
    That is correct.
    Old 08-01-2021, 03:53 PM   #767
    factor

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by edskin View Post
    This. And honestly, there are things I like MORE about the band now than I did 20-25 years ago. Dirty little secret— I actually don’t listen to the pre-1998 stuff much anymore because I actually think the sound is a little too “simple” and I don’t like the jams as much. I think the band is more “powerful” now in many ways.

The clear negative trade off is that over the course of 30 years, a bands catalog is going to expand and expand. And there is no doubt that the songs Dave has written in the past 15 years or so are simply not to the standard of the first 15 years. I like a lot of them, but it’s just different.

Some of it of course is personal too. I was 18 years old at my first DMB show. Summer before college (Boomer Sooner). I’m 43 now with three kids. There is absolutely a nostalgia factor at play as well. Yeah, a set list in 2021 is gonna look a lot different than one from 1998 and if you’re an “old” fan you’re gonna have to sit through some song you may not adore.

At this stage of my life, I actually probably have MORE fun and appreciate the moment more than I did back in the day. Who knows how long it will continue. I know the day they hang it up will be a sad day for me, so I’ll keep going as long as they do.
    well said, man.
    factor is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2021, 04:41 PM   #768
    wthomps1

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

First Florida run, and had a great time with old friends and new! It was great to be back traveling to big time shows after missing it all last summer, and for that I’m so grateful. The Tampa show was my favorite of the 3, with some great surprises thrown out and good overall flow. I’ll echo all the sound complaints there though, it was pretty muffled dead center of the lawn.

WPB N1 left lots to be desired, with lots of chiller and fan friendly songs. My highlights were SUAD, Sweet with a very lovely outro, and hearing Walk Around the Moon for the first time which I really enjoyed. N2 started off fire for the first half of the show and then cooled off a bit. Opening with #41 and hearing the Stone were big highlights. The biggest disappointment was the encore…I enjoy YMDT but thought for sure they’d segue right into Ants. So strange both nights ended at 10:30 after Tampa went right to 11.

All in all it was a great run to kick off seeing the band this summer. Both venues are fine but nothing special, and WPB had a fun little tailgate scene on Saturday. The heat and humidity was BRUTAL for this mountain man! I think I’ll stick to the cooler weather venues during mid summer. Hope everyone stays safe and the tour can continue without any stoppages!

Last edited by wthomps1; 08-01-2021 at 04:44 PM.
    wthomps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2021, 06:24 PM   #769
    Unedited

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Still pretty wowed by Night 2. Not one bad song

Night 1 had some great moments too but was weird flow

I finally agree Seven needs to retire. It cracked me up how he spent half a minute saying they play it cause they like it and then they couldn’t even play it good lol
    (I do love Seven too, they just don’t have it down)
    Old 08-01-2021, 09:30 PM   #770
    Jh4124

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone have a rip of N1 from Siriusxm?
    Old 08-01-2021, 10:06 PM   #771
    Jh4124

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeekNancyUp View Post
    How was Stolen Away tonight? I love that song.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5_DiCekQxo
    Old 08-02-2021, 03:39 AM   #772
    CatchThePhoenix

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

N1 left a lot to be desired but felt like they made up for it with N2. It really was a fantastic night, but the encore was a major letdown. Still baffled by two straight early finishes at WPB. None of it makes sense to me. They even have a layoff before heading to the Midwest. They couldn't just throw down and damn the heat? Ah whatevs, not like groaning and grumbling will do much. While many still miss the violin, I very much enjoy this current lineup and enjoy this new chapter of DMB. It was written here earlier but I am inclined to embrace their new sound and have very much enjoyed the evolution of their career. Very grateful that they continue to make music and continue to tour. Will keep seeing them until they decide to call it quits.
    Old 08-02-2021, 04:17 AM   #773
    jjc41

Shows Seen: 59

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jh4124 View Post
    Thanks!!!! That sounded tight. Dave's voice sounds strong
    jjc41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2021, 05:26 AM   #774
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Anyone have a rip of N1 from Siriusxm?
    https://dreamingtree.org/torrents.php?id=4120
    Old 08-02-2021, 06:50 AM   #775
    Moose Thompson
    F Them Kids

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I'm not sure what they changed this year but N2 was one of the best experiences I've ever had in the WPB pit. It had to have been a combo of undersold plus tighter security on sneaking people in. We had a crazy amount of room just 3-4 rows back, made for a really great time with a lot of friends.

I thought we had a shot at a double encore if people would have hung around and cheered. The house lights stayed down for an extended period, but the flood gates opened and people started pouring out immediately rather than trying to get a chant or some loud cheering going. Given the heat I don't necessarily blame anyone but until the house lights come up it seems like you should stay where you are and get loud in hopes of getting them to come back out.
    Moose Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2021, 07:19 AM   #776
    C.S.
    I lurk you long time...

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jjc41 View Post
    Thanks!!!! That sounded tight. Dave's voice sounds strong
    I don't care what anyone says, Stolen Away is a nice little song.
    C.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2021, 07:41 AM   #777
    SeekNancyUp
    Answer is always yes...

Shows Seen: 90

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

YES!! Thank you for this!! I really hope this remains in rotation this summer. #Chicago

"HELLO AGAIN Seems like forever between now and then..."

Just watched and they sound fantastic. I love the sax arrangement on this song. Jeff nails it.

SeekNancyUp is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2021, 08:07 AM   #778
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

My Tour Central Stats

I noticed that about the house lights. I was taking gear down and paid attention to that because it was abnormally long.
    Old 08-02-2021, 08:22 AM   #779
    Prezzy

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moose Thompson View Post
    I'm not sure what they changed this year but N2 was one of the best experiences I've ever had in the WPB pit. It had to have been a combo of undersold plus tighter security on sneaking people in. We had a crazy amount of room just 3-4 rows back, made for a really great time with a lot of friends.

I thought we had a shot at a double encore if people would have hung around and cheered. The house lights stayed down for an extended period, but the flood gates opened and people started pouring out immediately rather than trying to get a chant or some loud cheering going. Given the heat I don't necessarily blame anyone but until the house lights come up it seems like you should stay where you are and get loud in hopes of getting them to come back out.

Maybe the fanbase is just getting old as hell but it seems like people don't do that as much anymore. I was cheering my ass off hoping we'd get 1 more, didn't seem like a crazy idea.

Also I was in the very front row of Sec 2 and the pit looked great compared to years past. Must have been way undersold. It was awesome being right there in the back of the pit with a rail to lean on etc. Had a great enthusiastic group around us.
    Prezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2021, 08:59 AM   #780
    Jh4124

My Tour Central Stats

I don't think there was ever a chance for a 2nd encore. The tour busses were already pulling out past the front gate like 5 minutes after the last note.