Madison Square Garden, N2 (11/13/10) - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 11-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
BryanMPolDV

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Madison Square Garden, N2 (11/13/10)

Knowing what the band has done in the past at the Garden (namely, N2 in '02), I knew that I absolutely needed to be a part of the brilliance that DMB at MSG has to offer.

This summer, I previously enjoyed Bethel/Scranton on consecutive nights, but I had reservations in spending money on a third DMB performance in one calendar year (especially with a wife, a baby boy, and another son on the way). I had further reservations knowing I put down $85+ (with surcharges) for seats behind the stage. Even so, I wanted to give my brother Mike, whom I introduced to the band and have been taking to shows since '06, an early Christmas present. I felt DMB at MSG was a viable necessity.

To prepare for the show, the group I was going with committed to a No Dave November, by which we didn't (1) listen to the band, (2) peruse any setlists, (3) partake in any setlist watching, or (4) visit any DMB-related fansite. This was especially hard knowing the Live in NYC/LT19 bundle was coming in the mail days before the show, so you can imagine the anticipation (which we hoped to produce in the first place) leading up to last night.

__________________________________________________ _______________

My brother, along with a band of his friends, got to New York via train (by way of Dover, NJ to Penn Station) around 10:45 and walked around the city, hitting Times Square, Central Park, and a great Dali exhibit in the Times Warner Building at Columbus Circle (it's going on until April of 2011, so check it out if you haven't already).

We got back to the venue around 4:30 and ate at Nathan's. A group of us got in line in order to pick up a poster (lovely spread, by the way), then waited in line until 6:30 to enter the venue itself. My brother and I got to our seats (Section 321, Row A, behind the stage) and were thoroughly impressed with our view and the possibility of (and later, the fruition of) a video screen to view the band when they got on stage.

7:30 rolled around and the John Butler Trio took the stage. While I heard his name before, I was unfamiliar with John Butler's work, but was beyond impressed by his performance, especially "Ocean." I will most certainly be checking his material out in the near future; he has been thrust onto my short list of favorite live performers in light of last evening's work.

By around 8:20, John Butler was still on-stage and rocking the joint, so I knew an 8:30 time of arrival for DMB was out of the question. In fact, the band did not get on state until roughly 8:55. And then, came a memorable show....

#41:
This opened the first Giants Stadium show back in 2000, the first DMB show I ever attended. Already, the nostalgia of that evening was brought back with a short-and-sweet version that got the night off right. The crowd was INTO IT, belting out the lyrics from start to finish. I knew right then and there that the crowd alone was going to make this experience one to remember. And if that weren't good enough...

--> Say Goodbye.
The way Carter started on the drums, I was expecting Gravedigger, as was the case in Scranton this year (there was a Say Goodbye vibe to that intro, too), but Jeff busted out the flute, so I knew we were in for a treat (and by the looks of things on the Almanac, the band hadn't started a show in such a fashion in nearly 14 years). The way Jeff and Carter played off one another was magnificent, which made for a great rendition of the song.

Funny the Way It Is
Prior to the song, Dave got on the mic and said, "I hope you don't mind if I lean on your voices a little bit tonight. I'm gonna try my best and not disappoint." The version we got was standard, with the crowd singing the vast majority of the lyrics. That said, I do enjoy the Boyd/Tim sandwich before and after "Watch the sky, the jet planes, so far out of my reach..." Both bring it with their respective solos and this was no exception.

Pig
I got this at Bethel earlier this year and was treated to another great rendition of it tonight. This song is just so uplifting; you can't help but groove to it.

Write a Song
I very much enjoyed this tune upon its release on the BWGGK bonus companion, but, having heard this in person, my opinion of it has changed...I am now indifferent to it. I could tell at this point that Dave was struggling mightily with his vocals and was very concerned with how the rest of the show would play out, especially when you consider crowd favorites that put a strain on his voice, Last Stop and Halloween, would likely have to be truncated/aborted/scrapped altogether.

Dancing Nancies
One of my two "white whales" that I had been chasing for 10 years and 12 shows to that point, BOWA being the other. The crowd sing-along was awe-inspiring, even if I wanted Dave to finish this one from start to finish. Boyd was nasty on this and desperately wanted a segue into Warehouse, but knowing it had previously been played on N1, I knew it wouldn't happen. Even so, I was enthused by what the crowd brought to this song.

Still Water --> Don't Drink the Water
DDTW was really all my brother was hoping for tonight, and having seen Dave struggle to this point (in addition to imbibing one cup of tea after another and watching him hock into a garbage can), I was worried he'd be part of a sub-par rendition. Not so. Dave gave us a clean (not to mention full) version of Still Water and put everything into DDTW. This was another great version of it. I can go for DDTW anywhere in the set, as I previously heard it open at Giants Stadium N2 and had it at the Wachovia Center (spring of '02) as an encore closer. It's just a good, good song that I've loved since its release as a single back in '98. The show just took off from this point forward.

Christmas Song [aborted] --> Improv Jam --> Christmas song [full]
This portion of the set led most to believe, including myself, that this was going to be a special night. I was peeved that my section and the adjacent sections around me talked through the whole thing, but it was still outstanding to hear it again (my first time since the last show of 2000 at the Wachovia Center). This part of the show left me with a and a strong desire to hoist some .

The Song That Jane Likes
"I've got a sister named Jane and this is the song that Jane likes."
YES, YES, YES! I haven't heard this since my first ever show and thoroughly enjoyed it yet again.

Crush
Stefan's intro to this, combined with Tim and Boyd's work at the end, is just bad ass. I LOVE this tune and the band kept a great thing going with this addition to the set.

The Best of What's Around
The second of my two "white whales" snagged in the same evening. Needless to say, I was amongst the most unequivocally satisfied fans in the building at this point...and the show was a long way away from ending. I completely adored this version. Singing the outro with 19,000+ was nothing short of blissful.

Rhyme & Reason
My brother called this before it started. Had it really been over a year since the band busted this out? What a travesty for the fans of all shows preceding this one and a blessing for the fans present last night. This was the best performance I had heard of it. And for what it's worth, I was present for Rapunzel, the OSW intro, and Rhyme and Reason tour debuts this year. Awesome! The run from Nancies to R&R to this point was just insane.

Blackjack
The entire group I was with wanted this and we got it in full force. This is much better experienced in person and will become an even bigger joy to hear once it develops more structure and a lyrical base.

Everyday
Always a cool tune to hear (I LOVE Boyd's pedal work in the intro), but Vusi Mahlasela point his fingerprints, and dance steps, joyful vocals, and what have you, all over this one. Grooving to this song was the most fun I've had at a DMB show EVER. No hyperbolizing at all.

Time Bomb
I actually like this song. I enjoy its build to the climax during the outro and do not mind it one bit in the live setting. A standard version, yes, but fun to listen to, nonetheless.

You & Me
Enough is enough already. I am amongst the few who do appreciate this song, but it needs to be shelved. It is far too overplayed and has become the new Crash Into Me as the band's love song staple, but we all know the latter is (a) far superior and (b) a much more suitable replacement in this slot. Maybe this is how fans felt about Crash's placement in sets from '96 to '99, but this is just too much. Another standard version (as has been said about other Big Whiskey songs previously). Of the BW tunes I love, (Seven, Why I Am, Hands of God), I was sad to hear none of them in place of the three that were played tonight (although all two of the three were played on N1 and WiA was scrapped just before DDTW).

Two Step
This song, my all-time favorite from the band, has gotten progressively better since Butch Taylor's departure. I'm not sure how the band has the capacity to reinvent this song each time out, but they do. The improv intro was tender and the crowd took it to another level yet again. The dancing in the aisles and corridors was a sight to see. This song, unquestionably, belongs to Carter Beauford. Hands down. Newfound DMB fans who need to be broken into this band ought to be given a tape of a version like tonight's. They'll be hooked from the first listen. I have enjoyed this for three of the past four shows I've attended and could have this close out every set and encore for the rest of my touring days and I'd be extremely content (on a side note, when the stage lights burned orange, I thought we were in store for Halloween, but it was not to be...and, quite frankly, who cares: Two Step is the way to end a set).

ENCORE

Sister
This is a sweet song that is perfect in the E1 slot. Tim's subtle work throughout was a nice supplement to an enjoyable version I had yet to hear in person up until this point (in total, I heard five songs I hadn't heard previously, including Write a Song, Nancies, BOWA, Blackjack, and Sister. Not bad when they all came on my 12th show).

Last Stop
All things considered, having this close my last show until 2012 was an added bonus, as I previously had it at Scranton in '06. And just like Rhyme and Reason, Say Goodbye, Song that Jane Likes, Crush, and Two Step earlier in the evening, this was the best version I'd personally heard. The anticipation for this song was grueling, but the band belted out a tight, dazzling, and impressive performance from start to finish. Everything about it was awesome and a GREAT way to end my past decade with the band.

This show, Scranton '10, and Hershey '00 will constantly shuffle back and forth as the best shows I've had the pleasure of attending. MSG N2 earns bonus points for (1) the crowd's energy (for fall tours, MSG is THE VENUE to see a show that even rivals SPAC, the Gorge, and Alpine), (2) Dave's ability to recover post-Still Water, and (3) the best performances of a select few songs mentioned earlier. I feel all the more redeemed having spent money to witness a great, great performance tonight.

Other notes from the show:

(1) There were two complete douches sitting beside my brother and me. One guy was constantly trying, and subsequently failing, to reach down and give high fives to EVERYONE that passed in front of our section. If people didn't acknowledge his hand coming down, he either rubbed or slapped their heads as they walked by. He then proceeded to lure two girls into our section (one for him and his buddy) and hook up with them for a half hour before the girls sobered up and left them high and dry. Douchebag #1 also pointed and laughed at an older gentleman who was dancing and having a grand ol' time in the aisles. If there is anything to legitimately complain about regarding DMB shows, it's fan behavior.

(2) The hiatus will be much needed and deserved by all members of the band, especially Dave, who simply has to rest his vocal chords.

(3) BW songs can work in a set when spread out nicely, as evidenced tonight (only 3 additions) and at Scranton, where 5 BW songs actually appeared in the set.

(4) This band has earned its status as America's top touring act with shows like last night, which will be very difficult for C'Ville to top.

(5) I don't regret a single moment listening to this band, attending their shows, and defending them through thick and thin in the past 14 years (10 years following them on tour). Last night left an indelible impression on my touring experience. Thanks, DMB.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
    SyracuseFan
    American Baby Intro

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Madison Square Garden, N2 (11/13/10)

Awesome review, thanks very much. Glad you and your brother had an awesome time.
    SyracuseFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
    pato

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

awesome review, couldnt make it to msg i'm just hoping my cville weekend is compairable to yours at msg

SteelersPenguinsPiratesPITT PanthersLakersOU
    pato is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

That is an epic picture. Was that during Last Stop?
    Old 11-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
    BryanMPolDV

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    The picture is actually from a Yahoo image search on "Dave Matthews Band Madison Square Garden." It's from a DMB blog and claims to be from a previous MSG show, although I don't think MSG has a black railing dividing the fans from the rest of the stage setting.
    Old 11-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
    Servo
    Jersey Girl

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Kudos with the review.

I like how blackjack has evolved since I saw it at Citifield.

I am not a You and Me fan but as I noted to a friend after the show, I didn't mind because it was a nice breather -- I would have liked IBYU (and I would have exploded)
    7/30/05, 6/28/06, FA 06, 4/22/07, 8/7/07, 8/8/07, FA 07, 11/13/07, 6/3/08, 6/4/08, 9/10/08, FA '08, 4/14/09, 4/15/09, 7/21/09, 7/22/09, 7/24/09, 9/19/09, 6/30/10, 7/1/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/6/10, 11/12/10, 11/13/10, 6/26/12, 6/27/12, FA 12, 11/30/12, 12/1/12, 12/8/12, 12/21/12, 12/22/12
    Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
    aw625

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that photos is from Minneapolis 05. I know for sure it's from 05 as that was my background photo for quite some time after I first saw it back then.
    aw625 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
    parkmandrill
    Let's Take A Break

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

dude awesome review. made me more excited about the band and my upcoming shows.

parkmandrill is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #9
    coolhotwaves
    is classic

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Awesome review.

Oh, and since when could you post pictures on ants???? Is this new?
    coolhotwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
    cipron

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

awesome review dude very accurate i just gotta say tho that i have never been to a dmb show with a crowd like this. incredible.
    cipron is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #11
    rjdubb
    goin there w/the ggking

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BryanMPolDV View Post
    To prepare for the show, the group I was going with committed to a No Dave November, by which we didn't (1) listen to the band, (2) peruse any setlists, (3) partake in any setlist watching, or (4) visit any DMB-related fansite. __________________________________________________ _______________

Boyd was nasty on this and desperately wanted a segue into Warehouse, but knowing it had previously been played on N1, I knew it wouldn't happen.
    I thought you weren't going to check setlists?

Great idea going in blind. I need to do this. Still reeling from the Wrigley collapse.
    rjdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolhotwaves View Post
    Awesome review.

Oh, and since when could you post pictures on ants???? Is this new?
    you can only post them in-line on Ants+ and the show review forum, I believe.

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #13
    sean52692

My Tour Central Stats

Wow, that is a really great picture. fitting
    sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2010, 05:14 AM   #14
    BryanMPolDV

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rjdubb View Post
    I thought you weren't going to check setlists?

Great idea going in blind. I need to do this. Still reeling from the Wrigley collapse.
    Sadly, people blabbed about some of the songs on the setlist from N1 while waiting in line for posters. That was one factor we hadn't anticipated...stupid us.
    Old 11-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #15
    Tedword

My Tour Central Stats

My daughter took me to see the 11/13 show as payment in kind for taking her to see Bruce Springsteen close down Giant Stadium. I got the better of that deal. I have been listening to the DMB for years and enjoy the music but had never been to see a live show. I am still getting chills when I think about it. The emotion in that building was something I have never experienced in all my years of concert going back to 1969 when I saw Sly and the Family Stone. Yeah, I am that old.

To everyone there that night that helped carry the front man with the damaged voice through, Thank You. Those thousands of voices singing is something I will never forget. By the end of 'Say Goodbye' I had tears running down my face. I am getting misty right now remembering it all.
    Tedword is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #16
    BryanMPolDV

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tedword View Post
    My daughter took me to see the 11/13 show as payment in kind for taking her to see Bruce Springsteen close down Giant Stadium. I got the better of that deal. I have been listening to the DMB for years and enjoy the music but had never been to see a live show. I am still getting chills when I think about it. The emotion in that building was something I have never experienced in all my years of concert going back to 1969 when I saw Sly and the Family Stone. Yeah, I am that old.

To everyone there that night that helped carry the front man with the damaged voice through, Thank You. Those thousands of voices singing is something I will never forget. By the end of 'Say Goodbye' I had tears running down my face. I am getting misty right now remembering it all.
    I think going with family is what the DMB concert-going experience is all about. I'm so glad you had a blast!
    Old 11-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #17
    jonw757

My Tour Central Stats

Great review! I almost cancelled all my plans for financial reasons then decided one night "well you only live once", and I am so happy, more then words can express, that I decided to go. I attend both SPAC shows every year, and the one thing that has made a difference for me has been the excitement of the crowd. This was on par or better than the best crowd I have ever experienced at SPAC. I went to the Big Whiskey opener at MSG and it didnt come close to this. I will be listening to this concert for years to come, got chills when #41 came on... again...
    Old 11-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #18
    crawfish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tedword View Post

Great post and so glad you enjoyed yourself.
    crawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #19
    skoobz314
    Yea...that happened

Location: On the corner of Grey Street (at the end of the road)

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

All - I have an extra night 2 poster that I am looking to trade for a Hartford Night 2 2009 poster. If anyone has one that they are willing to trade please PM me.
    skoobz314 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-13-2015, 06:57 PM   #20
    Utopia
    Minutes and hours

Shows Seen: 91

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

5 years ago. Say what you will about his voice, this was a very special evening. One of the best shows I've seen