Zac Brown Band - any fans? - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #61
SirLaxAlot13

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Zac Brown Band - any fans?

ZBB is perfect summer music. All of it.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-19-2010, 12:16 AM   #62
    douglaskg41
    All the bacon and eggs

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Not a typical country fan but I love me some Zac Brown Band. Just bought the new single featuring Alan Jackson (who I really can't stand) and its a fantastic song. Pass the Jar is an amazing live album... and you just can't beat a great 4 part harmony
    DMB 2018 - Riverbend (Show #36).

Squishy Break:
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6Ygp...pP0I/giphy.gif
    douglaskg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-19-2010, 06:50 AM   #63
    parks3923

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Saw them last night in Detroit, they put on a great show. Plus Kid Rock came out and they played Can't You See just like on the pass the jar album. I would recommend anyone to go see them headline a show.
    parks3923 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-19-2010, 07:10 AM   #64
    william.hosking

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by parks3923 View Post
    Saw them last night in Detroit, they put on a great show. Plus Kid Rock came out and they played Can't You See just like on the pass the jar album. I would recommend anyone to go see them headline a show.
    I was there, too, and I would say this was one of the best concerts I've seen in my entire life. There wasn't a soft spot in the entire setlist, and they played some very popular covers, some not-so-popular covers, and some new material off of their forthcoming album.

I should preface this by saying I've been a huge fan of theirs for about a year and a half or two years now, so I was expecting this to be a fantastic show. I was amazed at the musicianship of the members of this band. Aside from the bassist, who is talented, but not to the extent of the other band members, everyone in the band had solos and can really shine on their instrument(s). And, for a country band, they can jam!

Of course, being in the Detroit-metro area, with Kid Rock playing concerts just a few days ago, and with Kid Rock being such a fan of Zac Brown Band, I had a feeling that he might make a guest appearance. So, once I heard the opening chords to Marshall Tucker Band's "Can't You See", I knew he'd be making his way on stage at any moment.

They played every song on their album The Foundation, except for "Mary". THey mixed in covers of John Mayer, Stevie Wonder, Marshall Tucker Band, Charlie Daniels, bluegrass/gospel, and others, as well as brand new material and they played for over 2.5 hours for the main set. As stated in the post above mine, if you have the opportunity to see this band live, headliner or not, please do not pass it up. I promise you will not be disappointed.

Twitter
    Facebook
    william.hosking is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-19-2010, 08:02 AM   #65
    jayman414
    GO PACK GO

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I finally caved in bought Pass the Jar. It was on my list of cds to get and I have to say I really enjoy it. I wish I would have gone to see them open for DMB at Alpine, but it wasn't high on my list of things to do either night. I really want to go see them live, and think they do an excellent job in the live setting from the youtube videos I have watched, webcasts, and now their live album.

jayman414 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-19-2010, 08:06 AM   #66
    canes101190
    No Worries

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Seeing them Saturday night in Charlotte. Can't wait. I really hope they do Killing in the Name, that cover at the DMB shows was absolutely insane.
    canes101190 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #67
    Groovylou8

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by william.hosking View Post
    I was there, too, and I would say this was one of the best concerts I've seen in my entire life. There wasn't a soft spot in the entire setlist, and they played some very popular covers, some not-so-popular covers, and some new material off of their forthcoming album.

I should preface this by saying I've been a huge fan of theirs for about a year and a half or two years now, so I was expecting this to be a fantastic show. I was amazed at the musicianship of the members of this band. Aside from the bassist, who is talented, but not to the extent of the other band members, everyone in the band had solos and can really shine on their instrument(s). And, for a country band, they can jam!

Of course, being in the Detroit-metro area, with Kid Rock playing concerts just a few days ago, and with Kid Rock being such a fan of Zac Brown Band, I had a feeling that he might make a guest appearance. So, once I heard the opening chords to Marshall Tucker Band's "Can't You See", I knew he'd be making his way on stage at any moment.

They played every song on their album The Foundation, except for "Mary". THey mixed in covers of John Mayer, Stevie Wonder, Marshall Tucker Band, Charlie Daniels, bluegrass/gospel, and others, as well as brand new material and they played for over 2.5 hours for the main set. As stated in the post above mine, if you have the opportunity to see this band live, headliner or not, please do not pass it up. I promise you will not be disappointed.
    Was there as well and true that. They're like the DMB of country music - lots of improv.
    Groovylou8 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #68
    william.hosking

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by canes101190 View Post
    Seeing them Saturday night in Charlotte. Can't wait. I really hope they do Killing in the Name, that cover at the DMB shows was absolutely insane.
    Even if they don't do Killing in the Name, you won't be disappointed. It's impossible. Please try to review the show this weekend for us!

Twitter
    Facebook
    Old 08-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #69
    canes101190
    No Worries

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Even if they don't do Killing in the Name, you won't be disappointed. It's impossible. Please try to review the show this weekend for us!
    I'll definitely report back. I saw them at the Hangout Festival and then opening for DMB at Alpine and both times were great. I'm pumped to see what they do in a full headlining spot.
    Old 08-19-2010, 08:14 AM   #70
    william.hosking

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'll definitely report back. I saw them at the Hangout Festival and then opening for DMB at Alpine and both times were great. I'm pumped to see what they do in a full headlining spot.
    I was floored last night, and I even knew to expect them to be great.

Twitter
    Facebook
    Old 08-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #71
    firedncr4136
    We miss you Roi

Shows Seen: 217

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

I'm not really a fan of country music, but I really like ZBB. I saw them open for DMB at Alpine, PNC, and Nats Park and enjoyed them everytime. They are playing Blossom Friday night, but we can't make it I'd really like to see them headline though
    3279:#40
    firedncr4136 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #72
    douglaskg41
    All the bacon and eggs

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by firedncr4136 View Post
    I'm not really a fan of country music, but I really like ZBB. I saw them open for DMB at Alpine, PNC, and Nats Park and enjoyed them everytime. They are playing Blossom Friday night, but we can't make it I'd really like to see them headline though

My guess is they'll be headlining very soon... they're just too good not to.

Squishy Break:
    Old 08-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #73
    canes101190
    No Worries

My Tour Central Stats

How does everyone like the new tunes on their album. I've been listening to Colder Weather a ton lately, it's such a smooth song. Settle Me Down is a very Buffet-esque song.
    Old 08-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #74
    douglaskg41
    All the bacon and eggs

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    How does everyone like the new tunes on their album. I've been listening to Colder Weather a ton lately, it's such a smooth song. Settle Me Down is a very Buffet-esque song.
    "Who Knows" live is a freakin beast. Especially on Pass the Jar with a Horn Section and female backing vocals. The last minute of that song always pumps me up. I'm kinda worried about how its going to sound in the studio though

Squishy Break:
    Old 08-20-2010, 06:14 AM   #75
    william.hosking

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I haven't them perform a song (original composition or cover) that I did not like. I thought all the new material they played the other night was great. Until I hear them release something that isn't up to par with what I expect from them, I have no reason to doubt this band.

Twitter
    Facebook
    Old 08-20-2010, 06:22 AM   #76
    nieds05
    Go Big Red!

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I'm bummed I can't see one of their shows this tour. I was blown away at Alpine this year, I actually went into the venue both nights to see their full set, I've never done that at Alpine before.
    Old 08-21-2010, 12:18 AM   #77
    canes101190
    No Worries

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by douglaskg41 View Post
    "Who Knows" live is a freakin beast. Especially on Pass the Jar with a Horn Section and female backing vocals. The last minute of that song always pumps me up. I'm kinda worried about how its going to sound in the studio though

Who Knows is their Two Step. It's a beast live and I'm excited to see a studio cut, but I don't expect it to live up to it's live counterpart.

Quote:
    I haven't them perform a song (original composition or cover) that I did not like. I thought all the new material they played the other night was great. Until I hear them release something that isn't up to par with what I expect from them, I have no reason to doubt this band.
    They have such a fresh sound to me. Zac's voice is truly amazing, and he uses it in every song he writes. I'm very excited to see what the future holds for these guys, I think they could be really big if they keep up the pace they're on right now. This new album is going to be great. I also didn't know Free hit #1 on the charts, which is very cool.

Pumped for the show tomorrow in Charlotte. Should be a very good time! I'll report back with details and a setlist.
    Old 08-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #78
    specialkd24

Shows Seen: 52

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They are already headling and have been. They just opened up for DMB this summer to draw some new fans and expand their audience.
    specialkd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #79
    Jimi47

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They are. Robert Randolph and the Family Band are opening for them in Oklahoma City next month in a small outdoor venue (5,000).
    Old 08-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #80
    canes101190
    No Worries

My Tour Central Stats

Show tonight rocked. They absolutely burned it down. I have some complaints but not many, but I'll post those when I get to my computer. I'll start by saying I don't like the no encore thing, but more on that later.
    Old 08-21-2010, 11:23 PM   #81
    Rockhound18
    Dancing 'Dore

Shows Seen: 67

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Pretty cool dudes.
    Old 08-21-2010, 11:44 PM   #82
    FunkyTeaParty41

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

i get the chorus of "It's Not Okay" stuck in my head all the time. Really enjoyed them at Alpine and hope to see them again soon!
    FunkyTeaParty41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2010, 11:49 PM   #83
    vaxarado

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Show tonight rocked. They absolutely burned it down. I have some complaints but not many, but I'll post those when I get to my computer. I'll start by saying I don't like the no encore thing, but more on that later.
    Its strange but maybe with the limited material, they don't see the point?
    Old 08-21-2010, 11:58 PM   #84
    canes101190
    No Worries

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Finally back at my apartment. To expand on tonights show:

-Zac came out and said this was the largest headlining show they've ever played, which is pretty cool. I wonder if this show will get released given all the cool covers/guests they had.
    -Every single new song is absolutely fantastic. As She's Walking Away is great, I Play the Road stood out for me, and the usual suspects (Settle Me Down, Colder Weather, etc) were great yet again.
    -Their choice of covers is among the best I've ever seen for any band. Tonight they did Neon, Devil, Georgia on My Mind, and another one with the opening band that I can't remember. I think there were 1 or 2 others in there but I couldn't name them.
    -Who Knows rocked my face off. They brought on a guest fiddle player and he jammed with Clay. It was absolutely incredible. It's times like these where I wish people taped their shows.
    -Free isn't a good closer, IMO. I think not doing an encore is weak, but ending on a song like Free rather than Make This Day or even Chicken Fried makes it a bit worse. I love Free, but it's a solid midset jam song. Zac had some serious trouble with the lyrics on Free tonight as well, so the fact that the show ended on that note was a bit of a downer, but in no way ruined the show.

Overall, this was my first headlining show and I loved every second of it. Sure there were a couple things I'd do differently. For example, I'd play an encore, and I wouldn't have brought the opening band out every other song to play one of their tunes/random oldie cover, but that's just me. Overall they played their asses off and had a ton of fun up there. The crowd loved it, the band was very appreciative, and I think it was a successful way to end their tour. I tried to keep track of the set but there were too many songs that I didn't really know, plus I didn't account for all the new songs that I wouldn't know either. I know the opening run went something like:

Whiskey's Gone
    Where the Boat Leaves From
    It's Not Ok
    As She's Walking Away
    Knees Deep
    Neon
    Whatever It Is
    Find the Cost of Freedom>Devil Went Down to Georgia

...and then Devil was so insane that I got lost in everything they played after that . They brought the guest fiddle player out again and he dueled with Jimmy D. It was exactly like the song
    Old 08-22-2010, 12:00 AM   #85
    canes101190
    No Worries

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vaxarado View Post
    Its strange but maybe with the limited material, they don't see the point?
    Maybe. I mean don't get me wrong they still played a shit ton of songs, but I just find it weird that they don't plan on an encore. They'd rather do one huge set than break it up. I'm sure that'll change in the future though.
    Old 08-22-2010, 12:07 AM   #86
    canes101190
    No Worries

My Tour Central Stats

Also, it's pretty cool to see how much confidence they have in front of a big crowd now. When I listen to Pass the Jar I can almost hear how nervous they are at times. Tonight (and at Alpine) they were so loose and it made the music better.
    Old 08-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #87
    weller3377
    Bag It, Tag It

Shows Seen: 64

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Pretty much addicted to them right now. I could listen to Free>Into The Mystic all day long
    Old 08-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #88
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by weller3377 View Post
    Pretty much addicted to them right now. I could listen to Free>Into The Mystic all day long
    I love Colder Weather too
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #89
    ZjR326
    O-H

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Colder Weather = next single. Songs awesome.
    Old 08-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #90
    canes101190
    No Worries

My Tour Central Stats

Colder Weather is such a good tune. I listen to it so much. I really love Settle Me Down too, I think that'll be one of the more underrated songs on their album.