Back when Dave was shy... - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-16-2021, 08:09 AM   #1
GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Back when Dave was shy...

There's no real point to this post, just reminiscing... no offense taken if you stop reading here. =)

Another thread made me randomly google "Dave Matthews Trax" to see what videos from Trax there are (I'm a longtime fan, 80+ shows, but not at all well-versed in what videos are where).

This was 1st video that came up, and I gotta say, it brought SO MUCH BACK!

My 1st show was 3 yrs later, Lupo's (one of the Live Trax series), and I had never heard DMB when I went (I went to see Big Head Todd, won tix from a radio station). My date and I planned to leave after BHT but decided to at least see 3 songs of this DMB and then go.

We stayed for 5 songs, and what an opening 5 songs to see live as your intro to DMB:

Seek Up
Minarets
Dancing Nancies
Warehouse
Lover Lay Down

Those first 4 remain some of my favorite songs to experience live ever, any band, and I've seen over 1,000 shows in my life (teens through 30s my friends were mostly musicians).

Aside from being blown away musically, I also remember how struck I was that the lead singer, Dave I assumed, seemed SO SPOTLIGHT-AVERSE! He sang, usually with his eyes closed, and it seemed like the moment he wasn't singing he was OUT of the center stage, over on the side, maybe partly highlighting whoever was leading (Boyd, Roi, Carter) or he was just letting the music take center stage. But I remember finding it incredibly adorable and loving what seemed like great humility or shyness from this lead singer.

I think it's a good thing that Dave obviously grew more and more comfortable as the center stage main guy, while also highlighting and boosting all the other amazing musicians sharing the stage consistently.

But this video really took me back ot my first shows and how over and over he seemed SO good, sounded great, but definitely seemed a bit not wanting to stay in spotlight any longer than he needed to....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3rvYlemlF0

Last edited by GraceBuckley; 09-16-2021 at 08:10 AM.
GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-16-2021, 11:08 AM   #2
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Back when Dave was shy...

Dave still has some shyness about him 28 years later - he’s a very humble guy overall, which is one of his main endearing qualities in my opinion!

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-16-2021, 11:50 AM   #3
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

I would say that Dave has always been the same...

"Mid-way through Watchtower, Dave stops and says in a negative tone of voice, "Man, I was fuckin' singin' you motherfucker! You're payin' me to sing here. You wanna fuck me in the ass motherfucker you come up and fuck me in the ass!"" - 2.26.93

He's humble when he's happy. He's definitely not shy when something pisses him off.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-16-2021, 05:08 PM   #4
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    I would say that Dave has always been the same...

"Mid-way through Watchtower, Dave stops and says in a negative tone of voice, "Man, I was fuckin' singin' you motherfucker! You're payin' me to sing here. You wanna fuck me in the ass motherfucker you come up and fuck me in the ass!"" - 2.26.93

He's humble when he's happy. He's definitely not shy when something pisses him off.
    Wow, that was '93?? Point taken! Yeah, true enough, I guess shy-seeming and humble when all is well, and ready to rumble (verbally at least) if someone is really out of line. Both positive qualities for sure!

Overall though I'd say his stage presence has definitely also evolved. Like to me his discomfort being in the center stage spotlight was TANGIBLE in '95. Not every single show but most that I saw the 1st couple of years (not the Dave & Tim shows though).

I haven't seen them since '08 but '04 & '08 were sooooo different to me in terms of his comfrot onstage and his stage presence. Still humble, but just totally working it in a very different way.

That said though, your point is still true, he's basically still very similar from those days it seems, though seen and done a whole lot in between.
    Old 09-16-2021, 05:08 PM   #5
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
    Dave still has some shyness about him 28 years later - he’s a very humble guy overall, which is one of his main endearing qualities in my opinion!
    Totally agree!