Your Top 3 Attended Shows - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-25-2021, 10:17 AM   #1
YankeesDMB41
King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Your Top 3 Attended Shows

With all the talk about great setlists/shows lately, I was curious of people's top 3 shows. We have people on this site who have seen the band in all eras, and I'd love to hear people's takes on their favorite shows

1) MSG N2 2010 - The atmosphere in that arena didn't feel real. I was a teenager and I remember thinking I will never see a concert like this one again. Dave's voice was shot for a large portion of the show, and the crowd sang most of Dancing Nancies without Dave.

2) SPAC N2 2015. 4th of July, double encore, Dead cover, Bela Fleck....enough said.

3) SPAC N2 2021. It felt like 10,000+ hardcore fans absolutely pumped to be seeing DMB on a Saturday night for the first time in a long time. The main set was literally perfect. If they came out after SMLAM and played one more classic, it would be my number one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-25-2021, 11:29 AM   #2
    nick45
    1st Time Caller

Shows Seen: 97

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Your Top 3 Attended Shows

1) 11-13-2010—>MSG N2. #41 opener, last stop closer ��
    2) 9-1-2006—> Gorge N1. 1st time there, OAR opened and they played city on down with the extended opening which reverberated off the hills. Gave me chills, still think about it.
    3) 2-14-2020—> D&T Mexico. Great set, awesome people that we still keep in very close contact with.

There are so many great shows that I’ve seen (was also at SPAC this past weekend, awesome shows). These stuck out for more personal reasons. At this point in my fandom, I’m not so much concerned about what they play, I’m just thankful that I have the chance to see them play. They truly are a group of amazing musicians that work hard to bring us awesome shows.
    Old 09-25-2021, 12:06 PM   #3
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Riverbend 2008 - The whole venue was buzzing that night. No Jeff, what will the show hold? Not a snowball's chance in hell... What a night.

Deer Creek N2 2012 - Got my first Jane, Seek Up, & Pig at this show. Also got my first and only Fool To Think and it had the extended outro jam. Two Step closer, Billies->Halloween encore.

Fiddler's N2 2019 - First Best of What's Around and of course, Spoon. One of my favorite encores ever, Some Devil (solo) ASTB->Too Much->Ants Marching

Gorge N1 2021 - The opening run of Solo/D&T songs was pure bliss. I was in tears during the Grey Street solo opener. The Nancies D&T closer was the cherry.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-25-2021, 12:15 PM   #4
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Realized I posted 4 when the thread was three. Riverbend 08 is probably lopped off if I had to pick just three.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-25-2021, 12:40 PM   #5
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

6/13/2009 - hands down the best show I've seen. It had everything + was at the height of my "omg this band can do no wrong" phase. Those were the days.

8/31/13 - #34. Gorge. I will never forget that show.

7/4/2015 - what yankees said. so good. first time with lounge tickets, great seats.... that show was real special.

AC caravans, SPAC 21 ... those are all up there. This is probably my top 3 though?
    Old 09-25-2021, 01:21 PM   #6
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

7/16/00- first show. At 15 years old, It changed my life.
    12/17/00- 2nd show. Original 5. The set was almost a n2 compared to the July show because the song selections.

3rd is pretty much impossible for me to say. Either CP, 9/11/03, 6/24/01 or 7/10/04,
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-25-2021, 01:23 PM   #7
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

8/23/00 (Hershey)
    9/24/03 (Central Park)

That Hershey show is the best setlist I’ve seen, CP is probably the coolest show I’ve seen. I really can’t pick a third, lots of options.

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-25-2021, 03:25 PM   #8
    Rraggedy

Shows Seen: 107

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

MSG - Dec 2002 - surprise guest James Brown sits in. Crowd goes bananas. Amazing.

Staples 2008 - saddest concerts ever. Yet extremely emotional. Could feel it even in the back row.

Hollywood Bowl with special guest John Mayer sitting in. I had better seats than him. And snickered. Until I saw him take the stage. Lol.
    Rraggedy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-25-2021, 03:42 PM   #9
    watsonbriant
    Completionist

Shows Seen: 23

My Tour Central Stats

SPAC N2 2016 - Unreal setlist, first time at SPAC, couldn’t have asked for better weather or a more fun crowd.

Raleigh 2021 - Long awaited return of the band, good set.

Raleigh 2014 - First show, really fun set.
    Old 09-25-2021, 03:53 PM   #10
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

1. Spac n2 2008
    2. Spac n2 2009
    3. Spac n2 2021
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-25-2021, 04:48 PM   #11
    polarbear2407

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

1. MSG 2009 (spring tour)- honestly my favorite show i've been to because of the venue, good crowd and ofcoarse how great the set was. 3 debut songs from "BW", Greg Allman guested on Melissa, and the setlist as a whole was great.

2. Mansfield 2014- Opened with Two step during 2sets and also played I'll back you up which i never thought i would hear at the time, biggest takeaway was the LL returning...now i know everyone complains and yes i got tired of hearing them as well during 2014-2015 years but them making there return to Mansfield was epic and it felt really special.

3. Fenway 2006 N2- i was 15 and it was when i was getting really into them and was my second concert of theres, the first being Mansfield 2004, i just remember that show being amazing and is also great that its a live trax so i can semi relive it.
    polarbear2407 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-25-2021, 06:05 PM   #12
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

- Palace theater...flipped things for us. We liked DMB, but it was still about BHTM for us. Roi on Jimi Things was a religious experience.
    - State College, first show of the D&F tour, awesome set...have always been a HUGE Beatles, the Band, and Gabriel fan...for all my complaining about covers SH, HB, UOCC were not in me realm of expectation. And we LOVE SD as an album, front to back.
    - 3rd place tie:
    -- DAR 2010, our 1st full D&T show...my wife was 7 1/2 months pregnant and we had the last row at the back of DAR, but it was a great show living up to everything we had expected.
    -- SPAC N2 this year...lived up to expectations. Could always think of songs that I wish they played, but this show was two covers shy of potential perfection.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-25-2021, 06:16 PM   #13
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    -- SPAC N2 this year...lived up to expectations. Could always think of songs that I wish they played, but this show was two covers shy of potential perfection.

Shake Me closer is perfection, hot take there
    Old 09-25-2021, 06:30 PM   #14
    grilldanmo

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Shake Me closer is perfection, hot take there
    Fan of the tune, didn't care where it was played in the set...VASTLY prefer it to AAtW and/or Time of Season. We've only heard it three times now...all at great SPAC weekends.

Again, no one song, no matter when it's played, can take down an objectively great show. Heck, two covers that I don't need/want to hear again and that was still one of the best I've seen from the band. I'll take TotS over AAtW if I have to going forward though...
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-25-2021, 06:37 PM   #15
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

I much prefer the DMB staple AATW to getting fucked like a donkey and licking from the back to the belly but everyone has their preferences
    Old 09-25-2021, 06:40 PM   #16
    crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Philly 11/6/2010 - How could I forget my first show? Stone opener (one of the best versions I’ve ever heard) BEF ->Bartender, BOWA, Last Stop, Christmas Song, Two Step, ALL at the first show I had ever been to? I couldn’t believe my luck. I also sat behind the stage and it was great to get a view of the entire arena going nuts, and Billies stands out in my mind as a “WOW LOOK AT THAT!” moment for me

AC Caravan N3 6/26/2011 - Second show, and holy shit. That entire show was a crazy good run, Not to mention the sea of people walking into AC singing Thank You. Second show and between the two I’d gotten Stone, BEF, Bartender, BOWA, Last Stop, Christmas Song, Seek Up, Warehouse, Kill the King, Granny, Raven, Sweet Emotion, Halloween… I mean are you kidding me? What fantastic luck to get songs people have chased for years and dozens of shows all within my first two.

Camden N2 6/29/2013 - One of the best shows of that tour, went with some great friends, the entire show was just full of surprises and Ants -> Halloween was wild. Not to mention that encore! I remember that Two Step kept going and going and then they threw in the Higher Ground interpolation and really went all out. Always in my memory

Runner Up: IZOD Center 11/30/2012 - Seeing an entire album in one show was unique and I feel lucky to be one of the few to have seen Broken Things before it went on the shelf. Plus, having 1 song from every other album and 1 cover was just one of the most interesting things this band has done. By this point I had been to like 9 shows, but it was still such an exhilarating thing to be there for something so special in this band’s history.
    Old 09-25-2021, 06:43 PM   #17
    Titotimmy
    Lillywhite's Tapeworm

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

1. SPAC N2 2021

2. & 3. Then the 2 D&T shows at SPAC in ‘17 if that counts.

If not:

2. Mansfield ‘14 (really good 2-sets show)

3. Hartford ‘19 (#41 opener and TwoStepoween closer)

My attended list is lame history wise but I’ve seen some goodies in the late 3 and 4.0 eras.

R.I.P. Last Stop 4/8/1998 - 9/1/2018
    Titotimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-25-2021, 06:54 PM   #18
    nick45
    1st Time Caller

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crounsa810 View Post
    Philly 11/6/2010 - How could I forget my first show? Stone opener (one of the best versions I’ve ever heard) BEF ->Bartender, BOWA, Last Stop, Christmas Song, Two Step, ALL at the first show I had ever been to? I couldn’t believe my luck. I also sat behind the stage and it was great to get a view of the entire arena going nuts, and Billies stands out in my mind as a “WOW LOOK AT THAT!” moment for me

Camden N2 6/29/2013 - One of the best shows of that tour, went with some great friends, the entire show was just full of surprises and Ants -> Halloween was wild. Not to mention that encore! I remember that Two Step kept going and going and then they threw in the Higher Ground interpolation and really went all out. .
    Was at both of these, both were awesome . This is what I’m saying, the band has so many BEST EVER shows. I’m just so pumped to still be seeing them 20 years later.
    Old 09-25-2021, 06:56 PM   #19
    dmbfan4ever
    IamwhoiamwhoamI

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Off top of my head

8.11.02 was quite amazing as well.
    Old 09-25-2021, 07:53 PM   #20
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

This is completely off the top of my head, and to me these shows were my top 3 even though I attended others that were considered "epic":

1. 12.7.98 Worcester Centrum: The next night was the 1st show picked for the Live Trax series I think (night 2 in Worcester), and it was a stunning show (I'll never forget that Last Stop closer), but I was 4th row for this show and had brought a DMB fan buddy without telling her how good our seats were going to be. It was 1st Charlie Brown "Christmas Time Is Here" and then they took forever tuning for the final encore which was "Halloween" which they didn't play much then and my jaw hit the ground and I actually could see Dave & Stefan laugh at my expression of total shock. Tim R & Bela onstage, and just so much about this show that was stunning & memorable.

2. 2.24.95 Roseland Ballroom: This was one of the 1st DMB shows I saw and it was incredible. Apparently the Watchtower from this is one of the all time highly rated ones (Trey A and John Popper on it, I listened again the other day and it iS epic), also they played past midnight and 2.25 is my birthday so... It all felt like quite the birthday present! After this show everyone went to a tiny venue called Fez to see TR3 which Dave announced to the whole audience at Roseland, and the whole band did actually go to the show. It was a memorable show, memorable night.

3. TIE: 7.31.98 Meadows Music Center & 9.3.95 Jones Beach: Even though I'd go on to see shows up until 2004, I just remember having the BEST TIME at these early shows when almost every song sent me into a trance or launched me into orbit. Danced my ass off (well did that for most shows through 2004) but REALLY just got lost in those performances.

All these shows also had other non-performance amazing aspects to them that make them stand out, but the shows alone were transformative.

For Dave & Tim shows:

1. 2.11.96 Amherst

2. 2.17.96 U Connecticut

3. 1.24.97 Syracuse

For all of them I just remember alternating the entire shows between blissful singing, jaw-dropped open at the incredible versions, laughing until I cried at the stories, and sometimes something totally unexpected, like Dave and Tim doing "Interpretive Dance" to a Soul Coughing song... They were just amazing shows.

And the last one Syracuse, I had a friend working at the theater who let me in before soundcheck, I was allowed ot walk around the theater but when Dave & Tim started soundchecking I sat on the floor behind the last seats, couldn't see them, just listened, and to hear them play off of each other and practice new things and talk quietly (but into mics) was priceless. And yes security knew I was sitting there!
    GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-25-2021, 08:35 PM   #21
    JboDaveGuyYNK

My Tour Central Stats

^ hell yea Grace, so sick. Very jealous of those '98 Hartford and Worcester shows. I was a little kid (growing up halfway between those cities on i84) in '98 ^
    JboDaveGuyYNK is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-25-2021, 08:48 PM   #22
    JboDaveGuyYNK

My Tour Central Stats

No order:

-6/13/08 - First Dave show. Hartford. Two Step. The Dreaming Tree. Back to back, mid set. In my buddy's wedding next month who is also the guy who introduced me to this band. Let's go back

-8/31/13 first Gorge weekend with the same guy. #34; then oh, loving wings, two step encore. Wow.

-6/26/11 that seek up opener still gives me chills, and reliving it last year with the dmb drive ins was awesome. I can still hear us and 20k closest friends singing "thank you" as we all left that show to close out an amazing Caravan weekend.

honorable mention: 10/8 and 10/9 Denver. Our next shows. Always the best shows.
    JboDaveGuyYNK is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-25-2021, 09:20 PM   #23
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

My Tour Central Stats

Hershey 6/23/06 - the band just felt different that night. really hard to explain (scranton 2013 also comes to mind for that feeling), but the set was fantastic from start to finish and the performances were some of the best i've seen of many of those songs 70+ shows later.

Scranton 7/14/10 - LT22, if you've listened to it, then you understand. i can't even be mad at the encore considering two step didn't end until about 11:20 that night.

Gorge N1 2021 - first time at the gorge, no one had a clue what to expect with the "alternate format" announcement. dave setting the tone with grey street to start the night, buddy playing drums, dumpstaphunk coming out to party. the first half of the show is legendary. the 2nd half isn't the greatest on paper, but being there, it didn't even matter that it was 4 SD songs in a row. what they were doing was amazing.
    Old 09-25-2021, 09:59 PM   #24
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

All three of my favorites happened at Hartford

5/28/10
    6/14/08
    5/26/12
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-26-2021, 02:27 AM   #25
    nick45
    1st Time Caller

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
    Hershey 6/23/06 - the band just felt different that night. really hard to explain (scranton 2013 also comes to mind for that feeling), but the set was fantastic from start to finish and the performances were some of the best i've seen of many of those songs 70+ shows later.

Scranton 7/14/10 - LT22, if you've listened to it, then you understand. i can't even be mad at the encore considering two step didn't end until about 11:20 that night.

Gorge N1 2021 - first time at the gorge, no one had a clue what to expect with the "alternate format" announcement. dave setting the tone with grey street to start the night, buddy playing drums, dumpstaphunk coming out to party. the first half of the show is legendary. the 2nd half isn't the greatest on paper, but being there, it didn't even matter that it was 4 SD songs in a row. what they were doing was amazing.
    That Scranton encore had a crazy so damn lucky, 1st time with the “Thank you” outro. Was also at the Hershey show, both were excellent.
    Old 09-26-2021, 09:39 AM   #26
    maddoc75

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

7.2.06- alpine n2
    6.2.06- deer creek n1
    7.26.15 alpine n2(let you down)

Honorable mention
    8.26.07- alpine n2
    9.18.10- wrigley n2
    7.7.12- alpine n2
    maddoc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-26-2021, 11:18 AM   #27
    Royal123

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

6/7/1998 - 1st DMB show, 8th grade grad gift, taken by best friend's dad to observe us. Witnessed what a "bowl" from the college girls in front of us was after hearing about weed for awhile. Roots and Santana opened.

12/3/1998 - 1st ever MSG show, 9th grade show, 1st train ride into NYC from Jersey, great fucking set, plus was made into a new warehouse member poster sign-up promo

9/6/2003 - N2 of OG Tweeter center with a lights out set
    Royal123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-26-2021, 12:10 PM   #28
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JboDaveGuyYNK View Post
    ^ hell yea Grace, so sick. Very jealous of those '98 Hartford and Worcester shows. I was a little kid (growing up halfway between those cities on i84) in '98 ^
    Man shoulda stopped off at your house and asked your folks if I could babysit you then! They were great shows, but you'll have shows of an amazing band you'll go to (or have already gone to) that will be epic when you look back in the future, so, it's all good!

I will say that all those shows with Tim, Bela and Butch + original DMB when as an entire band they were ALL so in each other's zones, especially on BTCS songs... it was magical. True sonic magic.
    Old 09-26-2021, 12:13 PM   #29
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royal123 View Post
    6/7/1998 - 1st DMB show, 8th grade grad gift, taken by best friend's dad to observe us. Witnessed what a "bowl" from the college girls in front of us was after hearing about weed for awhile. Roots and Santana opened.

12/3/1998 - 1st ever MSG show, 9th grade show, 1st train ride into NYC from Jersey, great fucking set, plus was made into a new warehouse member poster sign-up promo

9/6/2003 - N2 of OG Tweeter center with a lights out set
    I'm sure that 6/7/98 show was incredible from a DMB point of view, but honestly my raging jealousy comes from you getting The Roots AND Santana as openers, WTF, I'd be good just seeing them! Them AND a BTCS DMB show... Yeah, you are incredibly lucky!

Was at that 12/3/98 MSG show, that was epic, incredible set!
    Old 09-26-2021, 01:37 PM   #30
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nick45 View Post
    That Scranton encore had a crazy so damn lucky, 1st time with the “Thank you” outro. Was also at the Hershey show, both were excellent.

SDL was good, but that encore is underwhelming considering the main set. take off the encore, close with #41, and make the encore shake > two step, and the show is legendary status. or switch Y&M > SDL for something like what they did 2 weeks prior in camden, dave solo, so right, stay (or watchtower) for the encore, which is worlds better.